The Dark Knight Thread

This is THE Joker. Not difficult to replicate. It's all about the one behind the makeup.

it's all about fitting thematically and stylisticly with nolan's vision of batman. it's fine if you're not on board, at least you have T4 to look forward to. :p

This is THE Joker. Not difficult to replicate. It's all about the one behind the makeup.

I agree with Max... that looks like crap. But then again the batsuit sucks too. The Dead End suit was what I was hoping for when they rebooted. I enjoyed the first one though... let's see where this one takes us.

I don't trust anything from AICN, that should go without saying. At the same time, I really don't see the traditional green haired clown design for the Joker flying in a Batman film by Nolan. The Scarecrow in Batman Begins was a less pretentious version of the typical costumed villian of the comic books and I expect Nolan will do something similarly subdued for the Joker.

it's all about fitting thematically and stylisticly with nolan's vision of batman. it's fine if you're not on board, at least you have T4 to look forward to. :p

Thematically and stylisticly? Maybe in "suckville." lol A bit of elaboration would help me see your pov here.

In Batman Begins you have; Emo Kid on a Power Trip(Scarecrow) and Fantastical Grande Schemer w/ charisma (Rhaz). Now we have them ripping off a Clockwork Orange (that's from a quote). Why? Joker is a staple villain. You don't take Batman and make him barely recognizable and change his character in the name of theme and style.

Do I think that they could make a good villain out of their vision of the Joker? Yeah, but so far, to me that isn't the Joker. I'll still go see the movie and give it a chance, but they have to really impress me in other areas if they want me to buy into it. It's this kind of disregard for the source material that led to Batman Forever and Batman & Robin imho.

Edited by Max Jenius

That just looks like some tired emo kid. :huh:

Hehe, that is X-E Matt. I posted that pic in jest.

As for Burton, eh... I dislike his films more and more over the years as I get older. Still, the characters he used were recognizable and didn't stray too far from the source. The saving grace of the Burton films for me in all honesty is the Batmobile design hehe.

Based on the last film, I'm willing to give it a chance. I still don't like what I'm seeing so far.

Edited by Max Jenius

Actually, Tim Burton never read Batman and didn't give comic books the time of day. He had about as little respect for the source material as it gets, character design notwithstanding :)

That's kinda disappointing but typical of Hollywood.

It's so comforting that I get to watch Heroes and there's movies like The Incredibles and the original Crow to go back to.

It's so comforting that I get to watch Heroes and there's movies like The Incredibles and the original Crow to go back to.

What bothers me is that people think that this is what comic books are really like (through watching the movies).

Thematically and stylisticly? Maybe in "suckville." lol A bit of elaboration would help me see your pov here.

In Batman Begins you have; Emo Kid on a Power Trip(Scarecrow) and Fantastical Grande Schemer w/ charisma (Rhaz). Now we have them ripping off a Clockwork Orange (that's from a quote). Why? Joker is a staple villain. You don't take Batman and make him barely recognizable and change his character in the name of theme and style.

Do I think that they could make a good villain out of their vision of the Joker? Yeah, but so far, to me that isn't the Joker. I'll still go see the movie and give it a chance, but they have to really impress me in other areas if they want me to buy into it. It's this kind of disregard for the source material that led to Batman Forever and Batman & Robin imho.

yeah, both thematically and stylisticly. Neither the scarecrow nor ras al ghul were dressed up lke halloween characters. Batman does pull out can's of bat-rope-looseners out of his shiny utility belt. He doesn't have drawn on eyebrows. He isn't the bestest there is at everything in the world. I honestly don't get why you're in such a poo over this joker. Every joker has his face contorted into a clown's grin. Even the Alex Ros painitng you posted has joker with his grin on. This joker just has the grin because it was carved into his face. Why does this bother you so much? Nolan is obviously trying to make a dark belivable world that is true in spirit to the comics without being slavishly so.

Besides, I would think you fo all people wouln't mind someone taking a different take with someone else's material.. given your affinity for T3... which basically took a giant poo all over T2.

yeah, both thematically and stylisticly. Neither the scarecrow nor ras al ghul were dressed up lke

halloween characters.

:unsure:

I honestly don't get why you're in such a poo over this joker. Every joker has his face contorted into a clown's grin. Even the Alex Ros painitng you posted has joker with his grin on.

I think it looks stupid. Yeah, Joker has a grin, but he's not some reject from a Slipknot video. In such a poo? I said I think it looks ugly and doesn't say Joker to me... wow... someone hold me down... :p

This joker just has the grin because it was carved into his face. Why does this bother you so much? Nolan is obviously trying to make a dark belivable world that is true in spirit to the comics without being slavishly so.

Again, it doesn't say The Joker to me at all. You make mention of Halloween characters, well The Joker in the new Batman has a Chelsea Grin AND facepaint... that's not Halloween to you? Sure looks like it to me. Not to mention Batman runs around in a GIANT BAT SUIT... lol :unsure:

Besides, I would think you fo all people wouln't mind someone taking a different take with someone else's material.. given your affinity for T3... which basically took a giant poo all over T2.

Terminator 3 wasn't a "different take" it was a continuation of an established story, ie; canon. That being said, I don't mind different takes on subjects as long as they remain reasonably faithful. There are a plethora of different things that they could have done to do a "different take" on the Joker and still remain reasonably faithful, as it's been done tons of times in the comics. Bottom line is; as I've said before, I'm holding back on my judgement of the film as a whole until it comes out. I can still say that I don't like the design of The Joker or the direction they're taking it and no post of yours will alter this fact. :)

Edited by Max Jenius

It's not all bad. I enjoyed the first Batman (1989) movie by Burton. But as anyone familiar with Burton's films will tell you, Batman (1989) was a Tim Burton film first and Batman film second.

I also have to admit, as a comic book fan the recent Hollyweird obsession with the super hero film is worthwhile for the audience. Yes, the number of poor super hero films far outnumber the quality pictures, but how is that different than any other genre the studios milk? Every genre from science fiction to action films has suffered under that regime.

If Hollywould must produce utter garbage like The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Electra, Catwoman and it's ilk in order for them to bankroll X-Men, The Incredibles and Batman Begins, I'm willing to place my dollars in the films I like and withhold them from the films I don't. In the case of all the movies I've listed above, I'm proud to say I have done so :)

It's not all bad. I enjoyed the first Batman (1989) movie by Burton. But as anyone familiar with Burton's films will tell you, Batman (1989) was a Tim Burton film first and Batman film second.

I also have to admit, as a comic book fan the recent Hollyweird obsession with the super hero film is worthwhile for the audience. Yes, the number of poor super hero films far outnumber the quality pictures, but how is that different than any other genre the studios milk? Every genre from science fiction to action films has suffered under that regime.

If Hollywould must produce utter garbage like The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Electra, Catwoman and it's ilk in order for them to bankroll X-Men, The Incredibles and Batman Begins, I'm willing to place my dollars in the films I like and withhold them from the films I don't. In the case of all the movies I've listed above, I'm proud to say I have done so :)

Despite what the Joker looks like, this film will be great! Anytime you have doubts just go watch Batman Begins, Memento, Insomnia, or the Prestige. I doubt this guy can screw up a movie right now. My 2 cents.

:unsure:

I think it looks stupid. Yeah, Joker has a grin, but he's not some reject from a Slipknot video. In such a poo? I said I think it looks ugly and doesn't say Joker to me... wow... someone hold me down... :p

Again, it doesn't say The Joker to me at all. You make mention of Halloween characters, well The Joker in the new Batman has a Chelsea Grin AND facepaint... that's not Halloween to you? Sure looks like it to me. Not to mention Batman runs around in a GIANT BAT SUIT... lol :unsure:

Terminator 3 wasn't a "different take" it was a continuation of an established story, ie; canon. That being said, I don't mind different takes on subjects as long as they remain reasonably faithful. There are a plethora of different things that they could have done to do a "different take" on the Joker and still remain reasonably faithful, as it's been done tons of times in the comics. Bottom line is; as I've said before, I'm holding back on my judgement of the film as a whole until it comes out. I can still say that I don't like the design of The Joker or the direction they're taking it and no post of yours will alter this fact. :)

bah forget it. Nolan took great pains to ground his version of batman and setup rules as to what was "realistic." IMO, the plastic joker grin of joker and his purple suited comic outlandishness just wouldn't work. Also.. there's a far cry in the custumes of batman begins and the campy halloween flavor of the burton movies and their crap spawn sequels.

We might as well wait until we see trailers of this Joker in action. It'll be interesting to see how they balance the psychotic, evil killer with the criminal who has a flair for the dramatic. Till then, I don't think we have enough to pass judgment just yet.

But so far, Nolan's been treating fans of the comics with a few nice homages here and there (like that awesome scene with the bats taken straight out of Year One B)) ).

Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

bah forget it. Nolan took great pains to ground his version of batman and setup rules as to what was "realistic." IMO, the plastic joker grin of joker and his purple suited comic outlandishness just wouldn't work. Also.. there's a far cry in the custumes of batman begins and the campy halloween flavor of the burton movies and their crap spawn sequels.

Yeah, it's easy to play fast and loose with the term "realistic" when you're making the rules up as you go (Nolan). The difference in costumes is rather subjective, especially when talking about a super hero movie. I mean, you say that the Joker is traditionally outlandish... while a vigilante in a suit sits perfectly well with you. These two views are incongruent to me, but honestly we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;)

Mr March, you have committed a grave sin by bringing up any of those movies that are highlighted in bold. To make matters worse, you put them all in the SAME sentence! A movie go'er and comic fan can only take so much before imploding from dismay.

Your penance is to undergo a marathon and watch all these movies in one straight sit-down session on a Saturday afternoon.

What better way to make up for the wrongs you have made by wasting your precious weekend time on utter trash movies :o

Yeah, it's easy to play fast and loose with the term "realistic" when you're making the rules up as you go (Nolan). The difference in costumes is rather subjective, especially when talking about a super hero movie. I mean, you say that the Joker is traditionally outlandish... while a vigilante in a suit sits perfectly well with you. These two views are incongruent to me, but honestly we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;)

Perhaps because the suit itself and it's origins in Begins lore were beliveable in the first place, a far cry from the sonar enhanced Batman Forver finale suit which (I assume) we were expected to belive Bruce had built himself.

I was thinking about this fine line of realistic/stupid while I was re-watching Begins last night and I wondered would him having a Batwing be beliveable in this new take?

The tumbler is so cool partly because it was just an abandoned military prototype that Bruce press ganged into his service.

Assuming Nolan has his version of Wayne start using WE to build new veichles and equipment for him under cover projects would something completely outlandish like a private jet fighter then be pushing the boundaries of Nolans grounded universe?

Mr March, you have committed a grave sin by bringing up any of those movies that are highlighted in bold. To make matters worse, you put them all in the SAME sentence! A movie go'er and comic fan can only take so much before imploding from dismay.

Your penance is to undergo a marathon and watch all these movies in one straight sit-down session on a Saturday afternoon.

What better way to make up for the wrongs you have made by wasting your precious weekend time on utter trash movies :o

Hehehe, now that you mention it, that is one big-ole horrible list of movies. But not to worry, though I will never again watch those lousy films mentioned above, rest assured Hollyweird will continue to produce a steady stream of cinematic garbage to dump in my nearest multiplex and video stores :)

Actually it was more like a Burton film first, a Joker film second, and a Batman film third. ;)

Chris

Haven't seen this mentioned in here but Pandemic (Mercenaries, full spectrum warrior) is rumoured to be developing the tie in game for this movie. IGN mentioned speculatively that they may have been working on it for a while now under the codename "Project B".

Personally I think that's great news, Pandemic have made some cool games so far and Mercs 2 is top of my Christmas list for this year.

I just hope we'll get to drive the Tumbler before it's untimely end in accordance with the plot.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789649p1.html

Edited by Fort Max

That page is dead now.

The page isn't dead, it just doesn't have the joker image anymore. Go to the link and hit ctrl-A to hightlight the whole page. Seems like even more evidence of it being legit.

• 4 weeks later...

HI all,

I dunno what to think.... I love the idea of making the suit look more realistic, in that of body armour, but I was always a fan of the suit when it had no contours, like in a cartoon.... HAHA, at least there are NOOOOO nipples!!

Edited by e_jacob77

I like the new suit. Let's see what new weapons he has with this one.

And I hope Takara makes a fig of this one using the Gen-X body like they did for the first movie. Missed out on that one. This might be a chance to get me a good batman fig.

(And I hope the batarang's improved)