Transformers Super Thread 5

BTW, is anyone interested in comparison shots of Megatron in gun mode next to a real Walther P-38? Or would the mods think that is too inappropriate for this thread? (or this board)

Melissa

Yes please.

My Megatron was seized by customs and I'm trying to get it back. Showing that the toy is oversized and thus would be difficult to modify into a gun capable of firing bullets would help alot.

Yes please.

My Megatron was seized by customs and I'm trying to get it back. Showing that the toy is oversized and thus would be difficult to modify into a gun capable of firing bullets would help alot.

I think the fact that it is made out of low-grade plasitc and transforms into a robot would prove that. I imagine it is the fact that it can LOOK like a gun which will cause you the most trouble.

I think the fact that it is made out of low-grade plasitc and transforms into a robot would prove that. I imagine it is the fact that it can LOOK like a gun which will cause you the most trouble.

Yes. That is part of the problem but the reason why replica restrictions were tightened a few months ago is because the airsoft type guns were being backward engineered into actual firearms. Given that it is literally possible to obtain a realistic looking gun from a $2 Dollar Shop here means that the cops arn't as concerned with fake toy guns as with guns that can be modified. Well that's part of my reasoning anyway.

Does anyone have a pic of the mouth under MPC Convoy's faceplate? It sounds dumb, but I'd like to see it without mucking with mine.

The oinly wany to disassemble MP Prime's head is to remove the large pin in the side where his earpiece is - speaking from experience it takes alot of effort to do this. They are not meant to be teeth so much as a mesh/grill that he speaks through, or so I assume. Make up your own mind: blurry pic

Meh pisses me off about those botcon exclusives.....just what I'd really like to finish my decepticon collection so the Autobots don't outnumber the decepticons.

As for the prime thing, man that was mentioned so long ago when the figure was coming out.

I recall several issues where Prime's faceplate in the Marvel comics was missing and exposing either a "Speaker grill" like mouth or having an actual face that was just covered up.

Some key references I think is shortly after Prime defeats Unicron and returns badly damaged and dies...damn I can't remember the issue number........and I think Issue 12 of Generation 2 just off the top of my head as he's being consumed by the swarm.

The Degenki Hobby article doesn't seem to say anything about die-cast, though.

Why did THRUST get new molding, but not Dirge????? Dirge didn't even need all-new bits, just a few tweaks from Ramjet would have done well. And what's with the yellow intake fans/wheels?

Gold wheels - more colour on an otherwise boring colour scheme.

We all know about it, most of us (AFAIK) dislike the idea and just ignore it. I've never personally seen it on mine, as it does take effort/risk breakage to do it. There were pics from when it was just a prototype.

Too bad, its part of G1 Prime canon. He had teeth (sometimes) in the comic. Sometimes he had a speaker. Its an easter egg thrown in for fans by the designers.

I wouldn't say 'we' dislike the idea and just ignore it. That's more the people who hate the idea of any Prime having a mouth at all.

Damn that Thrust looks good. Screw Hasbro for releasing them as Botcon exclusives.

Dirge was a half assed attempt.

Hasbro wasn't going to release Dirge, Thundercracker and Thrust in the retail market, anyway, since Classics is over. This way, at least they are out there somehow.

The oinly wany to disassemble MP Prime's head is to remove the large pin in the side where his earpiece is - speaking from experience it takes alot of effort to do this. They are not meant to be teeth so much as a mesh/grill that he speaks through, or so I assume. Make up your own mind: blurry pic

As for the prime thing, man that was mentioned so long ago when the figure was coming out.

I recall several issues where Prime's faceplate in the Marvel comics was missing and exposing either a "Speaker grill" like mouth or having an actual face that was just covered up.

Some key references I think is shortly after Prime defeats Unicron and returns badly damaged and dies...damn I can't remember the issue number........and I think Issue 12 of Generation 2 just off the top of my head as he's being consumed by the swarm.

They are meant to be teeth. He had a speaker in some of the G1 comics, teeth in some of the G2 comics.

EDIT: Ahh frack, I hate it when I answer alot of posts and it ends up being the last post on a page, so nobody will read it :p

Refresh my memory, Leader class is the bigger more expensive version correct? What where the different versions again?

Chris

Cheapest to most expensive

Legends - tiny transforming, simplistic

Scout/Basic - Small carded toys.

Deluxe - the most common carded toys in any TF line

Voyager - beginning of the boxed toys

Ultra - not in the movie line

Leader - Second most expensive sizeclass

Supreme - Most expensive size class, replaced this year by Ultimate Bumblebee.

There are two major Prime toys. His big Leader class toy with rubber tires and a more accurate (though still inaccurate) transformation sequence, has the most accurate vehicle mode. Smaller Voyager class toy with a small, non-removable Peter Cullen driver figure inside the cabin. Has a more CG accurate robot mode, but kinda wears the hood of the truck like a backpack.

There's a Target-exclusive Robot Vision version of the Voyager toy where most of the silver plastic is painted metallic silver paint, and his red and blue plastic are of a higher contrast, to make him look more G1-ish, I imagine.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Hasbro wasn't going to release Dirge, Thundercracker and Thrust in the retail market, anyway, since Classics is over. This way, at least they are out there somehow.

No. Fun Productions (or whatever the hell their name is) ASKED Hasbro if they could have the seekers for Botcon. Hasbro let them. Where are people getting the idea that Hasbro GAVE them to FP because they had no plans of making them in the first place?

No. Fun Productions (or whatever the hell their name is) ASKED Hasbro if they could have the seekers for Botcon. Hasbro let them. Where are people getting the idea that Hasbro GAVE them to FP because they had no plans of making them in the first place?

Its just a logical conclusion/rumor that has been spreading ever since the seekers were unveiled as Botcon exclusives. Until I hear any concrete explanation from hasbro otherwise, I'll just wait till I hear the answers from the botcon panels that the tf sites will post online.

No no, not logical to us or hasbro man, logical to the guys saying the rumor.

Ah. It wasn't meant as a slight at you - sorry if it sounded that way. I'm just annoyed. Considering I can either: A) buy the Max and Miria 1/48 reissues with the possibility of selling them for $300-400 each down the road... or B) buy these and feel like an idiot for spending $90 on a toy that would retail for $10.

It's a no brainer for me.

Edited by meh_cd

The fact that they killed the Classics line.

As for why Dirge didn't get new wings but Thrust did...

I would guess that they put all the wings on the original mold set, and they didn't have room for all 4 wing sets.

Starscream had to have accurate wings. He's Starscream. And it cascades out to Skywarp and Thundercracker, so it gets half the set right, including the most important.

Thrust needed his wings, because they're too distinctive.

At which point, it's either Ramjet or Dirge. And they went with Ramjet.

The fact that they killed the Classics line.

As for why Dirge didn't get new wings but Thrust did...

I would guess that they put all the wings on the original mold set, and they didn't have room for all 4 wing sets.

Starscream had to have accurate wings. He's Starscream. And it cascades out to Skywarp and Thundercracker, so it gets half the set right, including the most important.

Thrust needed his wings, because they're too distinctive.

At which point, it's either Ramjet or Dirge. And they went with Ramjet.

Did they ever ACTUALLY kill it? It makes sense to shelve it because of the movie line. Just like Alternators.

Did they ever ACTUALLY kill it? It makes sense to shelve it because of the movie line. Just like Alternators.

Last I heard is that like Alternators it is on Hiatus.

Given the imminent success of the movie and that in the Classics and Alternators line most of the major characters are accounted for it is unlikley we will see any more*. There were plans for Megatron to be released as an Alternator but they were shelved. Apparently the only way that Hasbro got Ravage and Rumble released was by making them Walmart exclusives in the USA.

*Except for F#@^ING convention exclusives where my money is on the Frenzy as a Rumble repaint and possibly Legion (From Kiss Pla) as a Decepticharge repaint :angry:

Hasbro does not allow conventions to release toys that may interfere with any similar releases they may do in the near future. That is why official convention exclusive toys rarely have well-known characters using toolings that Hasbro are likely to make themselves.

Since they weren't likely to release the remaining seekers anyway (at least any time soon), they allowed the convention to do them.

Well, Classics was developed to fill the gap between Cybertron and the movie line, remember how the movie was originally scheduled for release in November 2006? I doubt they had any long-term plans for Classics when it was developed.

Last I heard is that like Alternators it is on Hiatus.

Given the imminent success of the movie and that in the Classics and Alternators line most of the major characters are accounted for it is unlikley we will see any more*. There were plans for Megatron to be released as an Alternator but they were shelved. Apparently the only way that Hasbro got Ravage and Rumble released was by making them Walmart exclusives in the USA.

*Except for F#@^ING convention exclusives where my money is on the Frenzy as a Rumble repaint and possibly Legion (From Kiss Pla) as a Decepticharge repaint :angry:

I doubt we'll see more Alternators, given that it didn't do as well as hoped, and Binaltech did fairly badly in Japan (too expensive for such regular releases). Given the cost of the line, I don't think TakaraTomy will be keen on continuing it with new toolings, though they can easily just continue KP with repaints of existing toolings.

Yeah, American retailers didn't want to carry the last two Alt toys.

In other news, Hasbro accidently uploaded photos of Movie Dreadwing. He appears to turn into a MiG 29 - yeah I hope that's badly mistranformed, too. Those flames are missiles:

post-2653-1177738398_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1177738438_thumb.jpg

The Degenki Hobby article doesn't seem to say anything about die-cast, though.

It's weird, there's a white blank block where the main text should be. Guess I better take a look at the mag itself.

Dreadwing isn't in the movie, and wasn't designed by ILM. I believe it originated from the video game, and, this being a cross media event, is also in the prequel comic and toyline.

He's both an individual (at least one is named) and a drone (there are many identical ones). I do like the fighter mode, though.

Dreadwing is first seen in the comics and it even says he is from the video game on the package. He is more than likely mistransformed. To my knowledge this is the first MIG-29 Fulcrum transformer and I am pretty excited for it. I dislike the purple though. Nonetheless, he will be a good complement to the classics seekers.

Emerald Twilight first mentioned him and Thundercracker months back, and turns out nearly everything he said was legit.

and meh_cd I agree, that is why I am just going to get 1 spare starscream and 2 spare ramjets to customize the seekers on my own. It will be my first custom job but alas, I feel better that way than cashing $300+ for the botcon versions.