Transformers Super Thread 5

That Skywarp is bloody awful. I also don't see why they didn't spruce up his fighter mode. Its just a chuck of near solid black, unless this is just another one of the Lazy Japanese Black Repaints that japanese toy companies so love to make.

Skywarp - the Big Book of British Smiles!

Go to Botcon.com for pics of Classics Dirge. He's just a Dirge-colored Ramjet, no mold changes, so I feel a lot better about not getting him. But of course, Thundercracker my fave should be perfect, mold-wise... :p

IPB Image

IPB Image

sucks that these are gonna come in only sets and sell for like 200+ :(

Go to Botcon.com for pics of Classics Dirge. He's just a Dirge-colored Ramjet, no mold changes, so I feel a lot better about not getting him. But of course, Thundercracker my fave should be perfect, mold-wise... :p

Same here. If Thrust turns out to be a repaint too, i'm just gonna save me $300+ and buy me another Starscream and 2 Ramjets and repaint all of them. Paint only costs like what, $10 for a good set?

Either way your literally saving $100 making your own. And a customizer on tfw made a good Thrust with accurate wings!

Go to Botcon.com for pics of Classics Dirge. He's just a Dirge-colored Ramjet, no mold changes, so I feel a lot better about not getting him.

Good! This means odds are that Thrust is just a red Ramjet too!

Sucks if you're actually GETTING the 'con 'bots, but I'm not, so I'm happy. :D

The extra paint apps ARE nice, though.

Edited by JB0

There was an episode in G1 transformers, "Golden Lagoon" where the decepticons dip themselves in gold fluid to make themselves invulnerable to damage from all weapons.

Why can't they just make a bunch of gold classics and make those the exclusives? Fans who go to these conventions would understand immediately since they will know the events in the g1 toon. It would show the toy makers are being loyal to events in the show and make the toy more special if they look different from the mass produced stuff instead of just being hard to get. (maybe they could even include on dvd episode retelling the event, and special packaging to add some legitamacy)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well that puts me alot more at ease about not being able to pick this set up. Come to think of it doesn't it look like Dirge's color is alot lighter than his G1 counterpart? Hell he looks more like G1 Thundercracker in those colors.

Edited by Veritas

G1 toy Dirge is lighter blue than animated Dirge IIRC, and Classics Dirge is lighter than either. But not grossly so. Animated Dirge tended to have dark grey instead of black, while G1 toy had black. Classics Dirge is clearly based off G1 toy more than cartoon. Still don't know what they based Classics SW purple off of though, he's almost magenta-pink, than lavender. (Lavender or straight Decepticon purple is generally accepted for SW, but Classics is way too pink)

Still----we all expect Classics TC to look amazing, and we're all ticked we can't get it for less than 300 bucks...

G1 toy Dirge is lighter blue than animated Dirge IIRC, and Classics Dirge is lighter than either. But not grossly so. Animated Dirge tended to have dark grey instead of black, while G1 toy had black. Classics Dirge is clearly based off G1 toy more than cartoon. Still don't know what they based Classics SW purple off of though, he's almost magenta-pink, than lavender. (Lavender or straight Decepticon purple is generally accepted for SW, but Classics is way too pink)

Still----we all expect Classics TC to look amazing, and we're all ticked we can't get it for less than 300 bucks...

http://tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Dirge/dirge.htm

I should have done some research before putting up my initial post. You’re right, his color is much more in-line with that of his G1 Toy Counterpart. I was basing my assumption off of his Animated form. And you know what they say about assumptions. :mellow: Still I’m afraid you’re going to be right about Classics Thundercracker. I’m hoping someway some how E-Hobby decides to do some kind of exclusive repaint on the Classics seekers some where down the line. It’ll still be more expensive than the standard fare, but I can’t imagine it will be anywhere near the price of these money-pits.

That Skywarp is bloody awful. I also don't see why they didn't spruce up his fighter mode. Its just a chuck of near solid black, unless this is just another one of the Lazy Japanese Black Repaints that japanese toy companies so love to make.

Skywarp - the Big Book of British Smiles!

Did Skywarp teleport some sand in your Vagina again?

:p

Cause lord knows we never buy transforming jets molded 90% out of the same color...

Cough-Damned near every Valk ever made-Cough

:rolleyes:

The only color differences thus far between G1 and MP version is black feet and V-Stabs.

Skywarp is pretty drab fellow as far as 80's toys go: http://www.ntfa.net/ntfa/techspecs/index.p...mp;char=Skywarp

The "wing lines" will be on the 'New" sticker sheet that comes with it (like the original)

and should liven/doll him up if you so wish.

BTW:

The "Big Book of British Smiles!" crack was damned funny.

:lol:

Skywarp (G1 toy) in jet mode has a purple nosecone (well, he should, depends what version you go by), engine nozzles, and vertical stabs. And if you go by the prototype (catalog, instructions) he should have purple h.stabs, launchers, and missiles as well. All molded, not stickers. Even if MP SW comes with a sticker sheet 3x as big as MP SS, he won't have half as much purple as he should.

In other words--WTF do you mean, G1 Skywarp is "pretty drab"? He's among the most colorful ever, winning "best colors" several years in the Trannie awards. And robot mode just adds even more color with his arms and feet. Try looking at the actual toy, not a poor scan of his boxart.

If Takara wants MP SW to look at all right, they should start by molding the entire tailfins in purple.

sucks that these are gonna come in only sets and sell for like 200+ :(

Dude, its not cool to directly imagelink the pics off their server.

There was an episode in G1 transformers, "Golden Lagoon" where the decepticons dip themselves in gold fluid to make themselves invulnerable to damage from all weapons.

Why can't they just make a bunch of gold classics and make those the exclusives? Fans who go to these conventions would understand immediately since they will know the events in the g1 toon. It would show the toy makers are being loyal to events in the show and make the toy more special if they look different from the mass produced stuff instead of just being hard to get. (maybe they could even include on dvd episode retelling the event, and special packaging to add some legitamacy)

Because its a lazy, uninteresting thing to do. Its something Takara keeps doing because they lack original ideas. The only reason people in the west care if that most of those gold chromed toys are ultra-rare lucky draws.

Dude, its not cool to directly imagelink the pics off their server.

why not? I don't see the harm in it. It's not like I'm claiming these are my pix that I took. They obviously have their watermark on them. So it would be better if I downloaded the images and hosted them on photobucket? :huh:

Actually it would, bc/ in reality, you are sucking bandwidth from their site by nabbing their hosted images... and bandwidth is money.

ahhh... ok. So should I just take it off then and just host em myself on photobucket? :huh:

You could always use MW's own space, and make them attachments. Or is there really need to have them here at all? They're on Botcon.com's front page, just leave a link---like I mentioned a few posts ago.

Sure looked silvery-metallic to me. I mean---he was COATED IN METAL. That usually implies being shiny.

Yes, technically, they used white paint to animate the scene. Much like how the Silver Surfer, and Storm of the X-Men, have "white" for their costumes in comic books, with blue highlights--because actual silver is rarely printed.

Look at Prime in the movie---his grill and bumpers are mainly "white". Sometimes with Thrust's reflection. :) But we know they're supposed to be chrome, and are intended to be such.

If you're going to argue Prime was white there, that means in the golden lagoon ep, they were "yellow and orange" and not "metallic gold". :p

"Chrome" is an interesting way to describe "white".

I must be tired or something but that made me laugh till I was in tears. Haha

Also, about him direct linking, calm down. Lol... It's really, really not that big of a deal.

Guest sh002

Dirge's robot mode looks cool. Does this mean Hasbro or Takara can release correct winged versions of the seekers and still have the Botcon versions as exclusive incorrect versions? :D Anyone have a picture of the custom Classics Thrust? I can't find the pic that someone was mentioning.

I'm wondering if any of those TF kitbashers can make a custom MP Shockwave out of MP Megatron.

For the Masterpiece TFs, a rerelease of MP Ultra Magnus with transformable trailer could be possible in the future. Maybe even a rerelease of MP Starscream in TV colors. A rerelease of MP Megatron would be with attachments. It would work if Takara thought about it.

Dirge's robot mode looks cool. Does this mean Hasbro or Takara can release correct winged versions of the seekers and still have the Botcon versions as exclusive incorrect versions? :D Anyone have a picture of the custom Classics Thrust? I can't find the pic that someone was mentioning.

I'm wondering if any of those TF kitbashers can make a custom MP Shockwave out of MP Megatron.

For the Masterpiece TFs, a rerelease of MP Ultra Magnus with transformable trailer could be possible in the future. Maybe even a rerelease of MP Starscream in TV colors. A rerelease of MP Megatron would be with attachments. It would work if Takara thought about it.

Heh either way would piss fans off. Those who preordered would be pissed that they paid all that money for straight up repaints. Those that didn't would be happy to buy the ones cheaper with correct wings. As it stands, the latter is pissed that the set costs so much.

Skywarp (G1 toy) in jet mode has a purple nosecone (well, he should, depends what version you go by), engine nozzles, and vertical stabs. And if you go by the prototype (catalog, instructions) he should have purple h.stabs, launchers, and missiles as well. All molded, not stickers. Even if MP SW comes with a sticker sheet 3x as big as MP SS, he won't have half as much purple as he should.

In other words--WTF do you mean, G1 Skywarp is "pretty drab"? He's among the most colorful ever, winning "best colors" several years in the Trannie awards. And robot mode just adds even more color with his arms and feet. Try looking at the actual toy, not a poor scan of his boxart.

If Takara wants MP SW to look at all right, they should start by molding the entire tailfins in purple.

The nosecone was black: http://www.tfu.info/1984/Decepticon/Skywarp/vehiclemode.jpg

It is purple on most of the later versions like Armada, Robot Masters, Classica, and what not.

His original missile launchers had purple triggers and a locking ring, the laser barrels and missile

warheads were black. In jet mode the only purple on the original (excluding the underside)

was the vertical stabilizers and the thrusters. Compared to Starsceam's "God Bless America"

and TC's electric blue paint job. Skywarp has a fairly subdued color scheme in G1. Especially

compared to most of the toyline from the beginning till now.

Now for what it's worth I (Tom Cruise jumping on the couch) love the Classics version of Skywarp.

It has the fairly elegant "airshow" paint job and the "Verts" are only purple along the leading edge.

The purple thrusters are garish (and we both know there is no way in hell those would be painted

like that on a real jet) but in robot mode it compliments the "boots" look when the feet are folded

down, just ike the original.

I'm not saying it is perfect by any means but by hell it looks better than that utterly shitty color

botch MP:03 has for it's main color.

Edited by Chindenathus

Catalog/instruction/prototype G1 Skywarp had differnt colors-----purple nosecone, h.stabs, launchers, missiles. Classics Skywarp used a lot of that---makes me wonder if they referenced that earlier depiction, instead of an actual production G1 toy. BUT---that older scheme also has black feet and exhaust nozzles, while Classics has them purple. If you combine everything, you get TOO much purple. Personally, I think the "ultimate" Skywarp would basically be G1 production colors, with a purple nosecone and weapons.

Also, Skywarp is notable for his shiny metallic/chrome silver and purple stickers----SS and TC had dull red/white paper ones. (They all had metallic "robot" stickers--I'm talking about the jet-mode ones on wings and tail) Skywarp literally shone with color. :) While TC is my favorite, I vote SW as having the most "shocking" scheme, due to the very high contrast between black and silver, and 2 different shades of purple, plus his bright metallic wing and tail stickers.

Here's "original scheme" Skywarp as seen in early photographs: (Yes, this is on the exact same level of blue Bluestreak---it's photographed and widely seen in catalogs, but nobody has one and it was never sold---there's probably like 1 or 2 ever made)

PS---this scan comes from http://www.tfracetrack.com/instructions which is THE source for instruction, but doesn't seem as well-known in the TF community as it should be.

I'll buy MP Skywarp, although I'm a little dissappointed that this means that a more anime accurate G1 MP Starscream is much farther off now. At least Skywarp is recognizable and sharp, unlike that mish mash of Screamer, Thundercracker and sea weed that is MP Starscream.

And as for that movie Thundercracker, it's funny how much better it looks(colorwise and head sculpt wise) than the official seeker in the movie.

Why don't one of you mods just edit the guy's post to remove the pics instead of just telling him? :p You have The Power To Do So :D

Sure looked silvery-metallic to me. I mean---he was COATED IN METAL. That usually implies being shiny.

Yes, technically, they used white paint to animate the scene. Much like how the Silver Surfer, and Storm of the X-Men, have "white" for their costumes in comic books, with blue highlights--because actual silver is rarely printed.

Look at Prime in the movie---his grill and bumpers are mainly "white". Sometimes with Thrust's reflection. :) But we know they're supposed to be chrome, and are intended to be such.

If you're going to argue Prime was white there, that means in the golden lagoon ep, they were "yellow and orange" and not "metallic gold". :p

Isn't that because they can't do metallic colours in 2D animation? Silver and gold are always shades of grey and yellow, respectively.