Battlestar Galactica Discussion

My normal DVDs are like that. Especially in the beginning of the miniseries as you mentioned.

yeah, I know. That's no excuse though. If I just wanted 1080p, I could have have just upconverted my SD set. I thought that they would fix the sloppy encode from the SD set, but no.

oh lord, disc 2 has audio/video synch issues. it's about .25 seconds off

Edited by eugimon

Just re-watched "Hand of God," for the hell of it. It was awesome watching Apollo fly his Viper through the tunnel and out onto the Cylon base and then blowing it, a great episode all in all...

Just re-watched "Hand of God," for the hell of it. It was awesome watching Apollo fly his Viper through the tunnel and out onto the Cylon base and then blowing it, a great episode all in all...

In my opinion Season 1 is one of the greatest seasons I've seen on television, period. Every episode was solid, and you cannot beat the cliffhanger of episode 13.

Edited by meh_cd

doesn't matter, the transfer is still an inconsistent mess. The level of screen noise can jump and disapear in the same scene. I'm not talking about day shots to indoor shots here.. I'm talking in adama's room, one second he looks like he has army ants crawling all over his uniform, the next second you can count the number of stitches on his color.

And nothing excuses the audio/video synch problems on the 2nd disc.

Sounds like you're saying that the standard definition set is just as good as the 'HD set then?

well, once you get into season 1, things quiet down, the transfer is cleaner and haven't noticed synch issues. But it's still not a clean transfer by any means. For example, in the opening shot of the 2nd episode where Sharon is sitting and the water is dripping and pooling around her, each time a drop falls into the pool, the water just fractures into a mess of pixelated boxes... it doesn't look anything like rippling water. If you compare it to something like the heroes HD DVD set, you'll be disapointed.

So... mixed bag... if you have the SD set... think twice about upgrading, little improvement but some of the visual effects shots DO look better. Galactica's "ribs" and armor plating are much better defined and protray that flying buttress feel much better, the ships in general look better and the shot of caprica's atmosphere as the nukes are going off is just amazing. the True HD Audio is reallywell done (when synched proper).

If you don't have the SD set, go ahead and get the HD-DVD set

Edited by eugimon

The first HDDVD I bought in a long while (well since Transformers a few weeks ago) and boy am I disapointed. The BSG set really shows the limitations of the HDDVD format that would not have affected, say... a Blu-ray version. This set shows the 3 items that are all bandwidth intensive: 16:9, lossless audio, and PiP. Further the regular Dolby Digital soundtrack (for those of you without HDMI receivers) was gimped down to 384k, which shows how bandwidth.

And I can't begin to vent at how the packaging left some scratches. Everything has played pretty good on my 360 add-on except Disc 5, which is a stuttering mess.... :mad:

returned the hd-dvd set today to amazon for a refund. 3 out of 6 discs came with scratches and the 5th disc wouldn't play through correctly because of it. Other people are reporting the same thing and I think I'll just wait for a re-release.

Can't believe I got yamato'd by a freaking DVD...

Good question. Its been a while since I last saw any. IIRC, I think the last one I saw was where Starbuck vanished into the cloud chasing what may or may not have been a Raider. Sorry, memory is fuzzy.

Am I up to speed?

Graham

no, there's a bunch of stuff after that. The baltar trial, and the revelation of a bunch of human/cylons.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't look good :(

http://tv.ign.com/articles/833/833633p2.html

Also

http://www.rondmoore.com/Site/Blog/Entries...tica_wraps.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From RDM himself...

Quote:

wrapped on episode 413 late last night, and there’s no certain date to resume shooting. No more scripts exist. My office staff has been laid off. My cast has been suspended, without pay.

I refuse to believe that we won’t finish, that we won’t be back to film our final stories, but I know and accept there is that possibility. The strike will be a seminal event for many of us in this business as it’s put literally everything we care about in the balance (if only for a short time so far) for something we all believe is important.

Writers talk a lot about the strike, about the reasons we’re out on the picket lines and our feelings and experiences in the business. It’s been an interesting three weeks. I’ve connected with more scribes in the last few weeks than in many months before and I come away from it to date with a sense of optimism about the solidarity of the membership and admiration for my peers.

Galactica’s coming back, I frakking promise you that. But I am ready to put the rest of the story on the table and take the risk that I’ll never be able to tell it, in support of this strike.

Like Adama says, you make your choices and then you live with them.

Still.

A helluva gamble.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This demonstrates another problem with releasing shows in widely spaced seasons or half seasons. I hated the way the seasons where so far apart. Having nothing to do with the Strike it just moved our favorite show so far back, that it is now falling victim to the strike. I too support the strike, I'm a union man myself....I just hate seeing something that I love, possibly being ended when it could've been seen through to the end if it wasn't dicked with so much in the first place.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

This demonstrates another problem with releasing shows in widely spaced seasons or half seasons. I hated the way the seasons where so far apart. Having nothing to do with the Strike it just moved our favorite show so far back, that it is now falling victim to the strike. I too support the strike, I'm a union man myself....I just hate seeing something that I love, possibly being ended when it could've been seen through to the end if it wasn't dicked with so much in the first place.

As I said before, I suspect SCIFI anticipated that an agreement would not be reached before the strike happened and covered their buns and pushed the season to 2008 to be sure it won't stop at the winter break nor just after the break. Lots of shows are gonna die by April. The strike has to work itself out.

As I said before, I suspect SCIFI anticipated that an agreement would not be reached before the strike happened and covered their buns and pushed the season to 2008 to be sure it won't stop at the winter break nor just after the break. Lots of shows are gonna die by April. The strike has to work itself out.

I was really refering to the show from s1-3. pretty long breaks between seasons all around.

Chris

Finally got to see season 3, I don't know about you guys, but I found it very boring most of the time :unsure: I hope season 4 would be a big improvement.

Honestly, I don't even remember season 3 as it was so long ago-long enough for me to forget it anyway. If anyone shares your feelings about season 3 I'd say it was because the show is starting to "jump the shark," as they say. I mean, they're at the point in the story where they're out in space, headed towards Earth and there really isn't much more that you can do with the story except, well, get to Earth. Anything else in between that arrival, if it even happens, will be just filler-recycled material at best...

I won't disagree that there were patches of Season 3 where the story really dragged (the love quadrangle anyone?).

But those first few episodes of Season 3 absolutely rocked my socks off. Also, the look into life in the Cylon basestar and learning more about the inner workings of the Cylon culture were intriguing. And then, there was of course the season finale that pretty much turned almost everything on its head and set the table up for Season 4.

As I said, I still have my issues with certain parts of the season (I still consider Helo's killing of the infected Cylons the worst plot contrivance of the entire series.), but I would easily say Season 3 holds its own against the other two seasons.

Ordered my R2 season 3 a few days ago from amazon.co.uk.

If I'd have known it was already out, I would have ordered it earlier. For some reason, I'd only been checking amazon.com, thinking the US would get it sooner.

Graham