What Issues Would You...

kensei

Just a thought, is there anything that you would like to pass on to Graham about their product lines in general? Or even a specific line? Thought we could compile them together to make it easier for Graham next time they have their little "meetings".

Make it constructive guys, don't blast eh hell out of them. The past is the past, suggest what they can do for the future.

I would like them to take up on the issue of their QC departments. Obvious issues like very loose elbows and knees and bad paintjobs should be corrected a valk or two into production, you shouldn't let the whole thing run for 2000 valks with mistakes. I would expect them to have a little pride in their products too, therefore this is a very small ask I might think.

Anyone want to comment on the size of their boxes? :p

1.) Tampo printing of logos etc, on Canon valks.

2.) 1/48 vf-1D with hikaru in civilian flight suit and minmay

3.) 1/60 vf-11

4.) DYRL max vf-1s 1/48

5.) Reissue of the Milia 1/48 vf-1J super

6.) GBP armor for the 1/60 Mac zero valks

Make it constructive guys, don't blast eh hell out of them. The past is the past, suggest what they can do for the future.

421899[/snapback]

In addition to constructive criticism, I think we should also limit this thread to realistic suggestions. IE: no $20.00 1/48's

Mine would be

1) Crystal clear canopies

2) Include an optional set of DYRL non-articulated hands

421899[/snapback]

In addition to constructive criticism, I think we should also limit this thread to realistic suggestions. IE: no $20.00 1/48's

Mine would be

1) Crystal clear canopies

2) Include an optional set of DYRL non-articulated hands

421925[/snapback]

Don't forget the optional side pieces. A upgrade accessory pack would be fantastic. I'd also like to see any future re-releases of the old 1/48 VF-1s tampo printed up.

Oh, and smaller boxes.

Edited by GobotFool

I think the preproduction samples should be put through 1-2 months of playtesting. That way Yamato can guage what tolerances they need to increase on decrease on their toy, and how rigid some mechanisms are, and what parts need to be redesigned in order to make the toy more durable and have less returns or requests for spare parts.

I am sure Yamato would love to do multiple production runs with NO parts redesign....it costs them more in the long run and especially since they have to alter or create new tooling. So play testing for that long would find most problems and they can have scotch free production runs later on solely to meet demand, not for parts that have to be redesigned and have version@'s and 3's and so forth. Saves them AND us a lot of money in the long run.

Give Graham permission to release production information the instant he is provided it.

421967[/snapback]

I'm fully back that suggestion, although i'm doubtful it will pan out. <_<

whats with the cheapy stickers? the least you could do is cut them better so i don't have to. and please for the love of god tampo print the UN SPACY on the gunpod. this is my one and only wish. i know it seems ridiculous but the sticker turns the gunpod into an eyesore.

I think the preproduction samples should be put through 1-2 months of playtesting.  That way Yamato can guage what tolerances they need to increase on decrease on their toy, and how rigid some mechanisms are, and what parts need to be redesigned in order to make the toy more durable and have less returns or requests for spare parts.

I am sure Yamato would love to do multiple production runs with NO parts redesign....it costs them more in the long run and especially since they have to alter or create new tooling.  So play testing for that long would find most problems and they can have scotch free production runs later on solely to meet demand, not for parts that have to be redesigned and have version@'s and 3's and so forth.  Saves them AND us a lot of money in the long run.

421939[/snapback]

Yep agreed. Best suggestion so far.

1) VF-0D

2) VF-1 2 seaters

3) SV-51

4) 1/60 VF-11B

5) 1/60 YF-21

6) Tampo printing on all future releases.

7) Redesign the generic robotic hands

Give Graham permission to release production information the instant he is provided it.

421967[/snapback]

421968[/snapback]

Well, I understand that it may be prudent not to reveal information regarding future releases, but for the projects they've already announced, what's with keeping pics secret?

Can anyone see the reasoning behind this? I mean secretly giving Graham a prototype to post a review to coincide a new valk's release makes complete sense.

But what's the purpose of giving him pics of a resin mock up that he can't show until AFTER the the next month's hobby mag comes out?

A wider range of fan feedback (always valuable overall), maximizing hype and excitement, touching base with the fans on a more personal level, all of this would be benefits of showing something exclusive to the forums. I do realize it might have something to do with a deal they have with the mags for exclusive pics, but why not release a hype shot for the forums of a different angle of the toy?

I guess it's just my crazy logic~ ;)<_<

1) VF-0D

2) VF-1 2 seaters

3) SV-51

4) 1/60 VF-11B

5) 1/60 YF-21

6) Tampo printing on all future releases.

7) Redesign the generic robotic hands

421967[/snapback]

421968[/snapback]

Well, I understand that it may be prudent not to reveal information regarding future releases, but for the projects they've already announced, what's with keeping pics secret?

Can anyone see the reasoning behind this? I mean secretly giving Graham a prototype to post a review to coincide a new valk's release makes complete sense.

But what's the purpose of giving him pics of a resin mock up that he can't show until AFTER the the next month's hobby mag comes out?

A wider range of fan feedback (always valuable overall), maximizing hype and excitement, touching base with the fans on a more personal level, all of this would be benefits of showing something exclusive to the forums. I do realize it might have something to do with a deal they have with the mags for exclusive pics, but why not release a hype shot for the forums of a different angle of the toy?

I guess it's just my crazy logic~ ;)<_<

421992[/snapback]

They probably give him pics early out of friendship. He has known them for a while. Plus they can trust him.

The thing with the mags, they usually want EXCLUSIVNESS in order to break the news to the world. That way they hype people into buying the magazine. The more hype, the more readers. They want to be the first to unveil the product in general, not just a different view. Dengeki Hobby and Hobby Japan probably compete for first dibs. As the internet has grown and grown and more action figure sites have come out, there have been less magazine sales and its a LOT harder for a magazine these days to even be the first to break the news or unveil something. Look at Toyfare magazine. Everytime a new figure or lineup is to unveiled in an upcoming issue, either the testshot or prototype is unveiled unofficially on the net through less than legal means and usually posted on boards that can be sneaky and get away with it. Look at how back in 2003-2004, nearly all gijoe and transformers fans already knew what they would get for later in the year or 2005 solely through the illegitimate sales of leaked testshots and samples on ebay. The magazines that were set to unveil stuff were not the only ones pissed, hasbro themselves were pissed; there is such a thing such as industrial espionage in the toy industry and its much more menacing than a lot of you think. Sure we can say "but they're just toys", but its a lot more than that. People's jobs are at stake.

Still toy makers know that theres still a world outside the internet. The magazines are meant to keep the buying public informed of whats going on. And most of the time, when some pics are shown too early, the toy itself may not be ready for production. This is why you get pissed off department heads complaining about leaked samples and pics previewed too early in advance that were meant solely for retailer solicitations for buyers and such like Jesse Falcon of Toybiz. And why would a company want to show the public something that isn't in production yet? It would only antagonize their patience. Case in point? 21st century toys' Avenger bomber. Which just came out last weekend after THREE YEARS OF WAITING

And put it this way. If Graham were to show Macrossworld fans pics of toys that he was not cleared to release, do you think Yamato would keep talking to him? Nope. I think they just show him the pics earlier than the mags can show because they have known him from years and he has earned their trust. Thats the way it works with insiders in the action figure industry. The minute you give out info to the general public when you are not supposed to, thats when the sources stop talking to you. Its happened a LOT with tf insiders, and insiders for marvel stuff.

Anyways, since legally Yamato cannot cater to us in regards to Macross, is it even legal for them to touch face with us and deal with us directly? Even when we tell Graham stuff, when it gets to Yamato its through a 3rd party. For example I wonder if Harmony Gold would raise hell if FLEX Nishikawa were to post here via translator. That would SUCK. But since this whole legal BS is still going on...

Sorry for going OT but you guys probably saw where I was coming from.

1. VF-0D. Change a few parts, get a totally different-looking valk. (And going with the big YF-19 thread, I don't think those parts affect too much--I think only the v.stab area could actually need a redesign--but I don't have much VF-0D art/transformation to go by--they transform so FAST in M0 it's hard to follow, even in freeze-frame)

2. Better QC, parts-wise. WAY too many instances of missing parts, 2 left hands, no gunpod, reversed magnets etc. When we spend triple-digits for a valk, we want all the parts, and the right ones.

Also, I notice a fair amount of random gouges, bends, scrapes, scratches on the parts themselves that are frankly inexcusable--it's clearly damage inflicted AFTER being molded, either while being taken out of the mold, or while the toy is being assembled--often after it's already painted. It shouldn't be too much to ask that the toy isn't damaged while in the factory. It'd be like buying a new car with a roof dent and a big scratch on the hood.

Also the molds themselves aren't that crisp or smooth. The plastic itself is often quite rough, with a fair amount of flash, especially at edges/corners (related to not being crisp).

3. Tampo print the kites on the sides of the nose, even though they go ACROSS parts that split. Takara/Hasbro have been printing large complex logos across parts that split on their Transformers for years---why can't Yamato? If Takara can print a logo across two halves of the nose of a $10 transforming jet, Yamato sure should be able to for 10x the price.

4. I want a fold booster for the YF-19. Light-up green if possible.

Edited by David Hingtgen

1> they should just produce the vf-1d to more or less complete the original macross line.

2> english version of their site

3> they should give us a list of products in development (never mind if there is no schedule) so that we know what to expect. & to pester them for things which they have no plans of developing.

First of all, what i feel yamato should improve/include on its products:

1) Do a FAT (Factory Acceptance Test) on all new products for strength, durability for a period of one month as well as take this time to rectify/correct problems to the existing molds before mass releasing/producing the toys.

2) Provide better QC and conduct rigourous checks on mass production pieces, offer an exchange in the case indentical or damaged, missing parts

3) Provide an accessories set for both DYRL and TV such that it includes hands, side covers

4) Provide tempo printing or decal markings on future releases , if bandai could do that for their gundam fixes, yamato should be able to cater that kind of servide for a high end product .Another alternative would be to provide higher sticker quality with translucent/clear backing, strong adhesive strength and flexibility to conform to irregular surfaces. They should take a leaf from the stuff that Devin and Erick are producing.

5) Lastly, do a survey not only on the jp market but also international market to gauge the popularity and demand of certain figures before deciding what should/could be done

Cheers

Edited by recon

General suggestions:

1. More product testing before release

2. Panel lines

3. More tampo printing

4. More real world military paint schemes

5. Better stickers (but to be honest I'd still end up getting after market stickers to keep original sheet mint)

6. Caps to fill screw holes

7. Smaller boxes with better graphics

8. Standing version of the pilot

Product specific suggestions:

1. 1/60 YF-21 heavily based on the D'stance resin kit

2. 1/48 two seaters

3. 1/60 or 1/48 (preferably 1/48) destroids

4. 1/60 TV color Q-Rau

5. 1/60 SV-51

6. Unassembled Blank 1/48 with A/J/S heads. Maybe even in a selection of different colors (white, black, grey, blue etc)

7. Ground crew and support vehicles

8. 1/? DYRL Macross

Edited by Crazy Canuck II

I agree with most of the suggestions:

The main ones:

-tampo printing (can't stand applying stickers that I know will peel off - takes a lot of patience to cut them out, apply them exactly so they are not crooked, and ensure they don't peel off)

-posable or non-posable non-"perfect transforming" large hands (not bubble ones, robotic ones in the style of the gbp hands but smaller size)

-unclude side parts (maybe if they ever release 1D. Decide to make that the standard)

-give us fast packs for yf19 (there is no point in releasing FP and non-FP versions)

-If possible try to panel line the toys (like they did for vf1 low vis or 1/72 macross plus valks.)

-better box art (learn from toynami :D)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

would love to have a SDF-1, but graham has already indicated yamato has no current plans to do one as of yet. Maybe we could put in under the list of variants wanted by the community here like:

1) SDF-1

2) VT-1 Super Ostrich

3) VE-1 Elintseeker

etc

Cheers

-posable or non-posable non-"perfect transforming" large hands (not bubble ones, robotic ones in the style of the gbp hands but smaller size)

422072[/snapback]

Amen to that! The TV hands look like the belong on a Mickey Mouse toy. I know they were that way on the show, but damn, they look stupid on a robot.

I believe that they can do that, especially with the VF-0. A 1/100 Master Grade Gundam has much better hands at a size that's very acceptable for those of it's scale. They would be perfect.

To be fair to Yamato with their QC, towards the end of the recent releases like the last VF-1S Roy Focker release, they were REALLY good. Joints are all tight and smooth.

I just wish that QC Compliance Interventions came sooner.

Edited by kensei

Just a few things....

1. Transforming Macross in DYRL and TV flavors

2. Space out the releases better: Only the hardest of the hardcore (with the deepest pockets)can be expected to buy this many valks when they appear simultaneously within a 2 or 3 month time frame.

3. Transforming Macross

4. 1/48 Battlepods with pilots or

5. Action figures of non-micronzied Kamjin, Millia, Breetai, etc. so Hikaru can go toe to toe with Breetai in my display case

6. Did I mention transorming Macross?

last but not least.

Use 6 sigma & lean manufacturing to eliminate final inspection which will not only cut the costs down but will also increase the crispness of the quality of our beloved valks !!...tho not sure if Yamato do actually inspect their final product....

last but not least.

Use 6 sigma & lean manufacturing to eliminate final inspection which will not only cut the costs down but will also increase the crispness of the quality of our beloved valks !!...tho not sure if Yamato do actually inspect their final product....

422280[/snapback]

What's 6 sigma & lean manufacturing?

Basically, a goal of perfection. Sigma=statspeak for standard of deviation. 6=number of deviations. Thus 6 standard deviations off of normal (hopefully ABOVE) for quality. Thus 99.9997% of products are ok. That costs money to implement, but it's recouped by not having any returns or warranty issues or repairs or recalls, and high customer satisfaction and loyalty. (Technically it's not 6 sigma, it's really 4.5---but 6 sounds a lot better and has alliteration) Side note: I hated stats (both of them) more than any other class, ever.

Of course, Yamato doesn't make enough items AFAIK to really use it. <3.4 defects per million is the goal--does Yamato come anywhere near a million valks?

Lean manufacturing is a fancy way of saying "eliminate waste"---everything from material used to time. (and of course, employees) It goes deep, as literally EVERYTHING can be considered a potential for waste--from negotiating contracts to customer relationships to just how good of a warranty really needs to be provided. Heavily associated with 6 sigma because having 99.9996% perfect products greatly reduces many types of waste.

Edited by David Hingtgen