I'm Done With Toys

DatterBoy

well, mostly YAMATO's...

You know how comics used to be 75 cents?  And candy bars were like 25 cents?  Well toys used to be 3-6 bucks, the ones we wanted anyhow.  Somehoe, someone figured out that those dudes who bought the 3-6 dollar toys in their youth would pay 100+ for toys in their adulthood and then laced it with heroin... now we're screwed and they pummel us to the point that we ruin ourselves with the anticipation and finances required to obtain the stuff.

As KingNor said to me, I think it's time for an overhaul.

I'm swearing off toys for good (I hope) and it all began with the VF-0S.  I wanted that thing, very badly, but it was the most expensive valk to date. And now, there's a parade of pricey valks.  All of which I would love to have, but would require a small bank loan to actually pull off.

Overkill, me thinks.

Farewell, forum peeps.  I'm sure most of you don't know me, but it's been swell.  Time for me to move on.  If I come into large sums of money, I'll be back!

DAMN YOU YAMATO!

420172[/snapback]

DatterBoy, I've been thinking the same thing. So far I've skipped the Low Viz 2, the Stealth, and will probably skip two to three other version coming out this fall. The last valkyrie I purchased was the VF-0S. And after the Comic Con, I realized that there are plenty of ther cool stuff other than Macross 1/48 scales.

We're set to get married March 2007...and I've been lagging on the savings. My fiancée and I are actually focusing some of our income towards mountain biking and road biking. Gosh damn it feels great.

But hey, good luck! Keep on drawing mang! You do great work. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of my illustrations also with you all.

I think once I have a kid...all attention to him/her...life is good indeed. And if I'm to give them all up, I'd keep the VF-1J with the GBP-1 and the fast packs because that valkyrie sticks out the most on my mind...due to my childhood years with Robotech.

We all know that we're not forced to buy these toys, but you feel the tendency to do so because we love this stuff...the real issue here is the high price versus the lack of QC...especially marked up shipping/handling...and hoarding valkyries.

So until some of our fellow peeps pay-up $2400 per month on mortgage for a 1400 sq. ft. home, they'll never feel the pinch.

Go Blue!

I think of it a different way now.

With the way that they are reissuing them that is.

I no longer feel the pressure to buy anything that isn't a limited edition. THen again, I think they will never again make anything a limited edition. Neither do I feel the need to buy anthing straight off the bat.

There will always be valks around to buy, as long as there is demand for them.

Also, if there is an opportunity, there will be new valks. I'm waiting myself for the Max VF-1S.

Hey Datterboy,

I loved your SD customs. I hope you really don't give up on the hobby altogether unless you really are tired of Macross in general and it's time to move on to more important things. It's too bad we never hooked up considering we live so close.

I don't ever see myself completely stopping collecting toys, especially Macross toys, unless Yamato goes belly up. Still, as much as I love this stuff and other toys I collect, I have to wonder if I'm ever going to be able to display everything I have or plan to get. It sucks cuz there's always newer and better stuff coming out, and I don't want to miss out, but I'm gonna have to draw the line at some point soon. The price tag on these toys doesn't help either since my fiancee can't understand how I can spend so much on one toy even if I try to justify to her how awesome they are.

These VF-1 toys should be getting cheaper. Could it be that Yamato's production costs have gone up with plastics getting more expensive with oil going up?

Edited by sidearmsalpha

I think it's funny that some people feel "obligated" or "forced" to buy everything.  Just buy what you really want!  Do you really have to have the 500th repaint of the whatchamacallit?

420326[/snapback]

I completely agree with myk on this one. I only get the 1/48's that I want, the iconic TV colors. Respect to Yamato for releasing uncommon TV schemes like the Angel Birds, but to me when I think of Macross, the AB's don't come to mind. I'll only buy the Valkyries that, to me, invoke the spirit of Macross: Roy, Hikaru, Max, Milia, and the CF. The only exception I've made to my rule was the Super Stealth, but only because I've always wanted a black VF-1 with fast packs since I was a kid. The Low Vis' are cool, but don't scream Macross to me. DYRL's got awesome color schemes, but at 90 minutes, is only a tiny fraction of the 13 - 14 hour Macross saga and thus doesn't do much for me.

If I were a hardcore collector and had loads of money to spend, then I'd probably get every release Yamato cranked out, but I've got other priorities.

Datterboy, I completely sympathize with your pain in collecting Macross toys, but I think it's just a matter of setting limits for yourself. As a father and homeowner, it just seems nutty to me to be spending $450+ a shot to try and get every single valk that is coming down the line.

So, I basically drew a line in the sand for myself and figured out what I would or wouldn't want to own. I decided that I didn't want non-canon valks and the only one I have wanted (the vf-0) has already been re-released once, so I'm sure it'll come down the pike again.

If I were a hardcore collector and had loads of money to spend, then I'd probably get every release Yamato cranked out, but I've got other priorities.

420368[/snapback]

Like eating.... :lol:

420370[/snapback]

It's not my fault I'm part Italian :p

420373[/snapback]

No, I meant being able to afford to eat, not that you eat alot. A couple of Yamato valks will wipe out the old grocery money in a heartbeat.

420368[/snapback]

Like eating.... :lol:

420370[/snapback]

It's not my fault I'm part Italian :p

420373[/snapback]

No, I meant being able to afford to eat, not that you eat alot. A couple of Yamato valks will wipe out the old grocery money in a heartbeat.

420385[/snapback]

heh... for the big releases, we still get at least half a year advance notice. That's 20 bucks a month. If you can't afford 20 bucks a month, I agree... time to get out of the hobby.

I am annoyed that they're only giving three month notice on repaints now.

420394[/snapback]

I'm annoyed that they are bring this out with the VF-0 AND the bloody YF-19 to follow soon after. Sure we don't know the release date of them, and they will probably be late, BUT that's still close and that's still a lot of ground to cover man.

Edited by kensei

So yeah, Yamato is pricing mediocre or QC problemed toys insanely high. People buy them up, though. What can I say, there's a sucker born every minute.

The VF-0, though...now that one is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I do plan on getting an 0A. The upcoming YF-19, on the other hand, well...I can't believe people are going to shell out for that fat-necked monstrosity.

As I mentioned if only we could buy these local, (no importing) it might make is easier on the wallet. Also when something like the garland fiasco happens for macross stuff, we can get some kind of support and maybe replacement parts or something. I can sympathise with those who always wait for second releases of stuff to avoid the risk of poor QC and this is why I hope yamato at least have the right atitude about making improvements in later releases and stuff. (ie fix the GBP door mechanism, tighten joints, make the backpack piece more sturdy, more tampo printing etc)

420299[/snapback]

Hear ! Hear !! I second that !!! Yamato should find ways to imporove their QC instead coming out with so many products in such a short period of time. After paying so much money for a single product, surely a higher QC should be expected !

DatterBoy,

Yamato seems to be reissuing a valk every 2 to 3 years, see how many times the VF-1S Roy has been reissued. Even Max and Miryia's VF-1J Super Valk which seems to be rare at the moment but I am sure Yamato would reissue them in the future. So if I do not get the AB or Kakizaki Valk now, it is no biggie, I would get them later when I have the money. As mentioned by other members, you certainly need to prioritize what you want. If I am getting marry or expecting a child, my priority would be to my wife or child and not my hobby. After all it is just a hobby :)

Edited by vanpang

Im O.k with the prices at the moment as I only have a couple. I could have bought two in Japan earlier this year but resisted temtation :( that and the Release date for the zero was put back until the day after I went home.

I just dont have the room at the moment. So I cant get anymore no matter how much I want them all (except the LV2).

No matter your situation only buy what you can afford to.

Just think todays "real" kids toys cost nearly tripple what they cost our parents in the 70`s and 80`s . So our kids are gonna have to be millionares to aford to buy the stuff from their childhoods when they are our age.

heh... for the big releases, we still get at least half a year advance notice. That's 20 bucks a month. If you can't afford 20 bucks a month, I agree... time to get out of the hobby.

420394[/snapback]

Well, you really don't have to get it just when it comes out~

If money is a eat or get valk issue than the logical thing to do is wait... usually ya got about 3-5 months before the price goes up... somethings actually go down in price.... like millia's Q-rau....

Knowing what to buy and what to wait or pass on is an ART. :p

Sorry to see you go Datterboy. I completely agree w/your reasons for quiting, cold turkey probably is the best way to resist the temptations.

For myself I passed on the LV2 and am going to pass on the Max, Kakizaki, Angel Bird. Still debating the VF0A and the YF19 but even these I can wait on IMO. No rush these'll be reissued someday.

Yes prioritizing is important but sometimes I for one feel like I am getting bombed with releases it burns you out. Yamato really should space out the releases more and correct the damn QC problems before reissuing and releasing new valks.

Best of luck to you Datterboy with your new adventures! :)

My math is not adding up, in my usual "buy two" policy.

2) 1A Kak

2) 1A Angel Birds

1) 1A Max(want a double)

2) Stealth FP

2) 0A

2) 19

How much money is that? That's almost 2 grand!!!

Talk about milking it. I have nipples Yamato, can you milk them?

Has thought of comparing these $130 toys to those $6 toys we bought as a kid? Taking inflation into account as well? Did the old Bandai and Takatoku's ever sell for $6USD?

Call me crazy, but I think that part of the reason these toys cost so much is how expensive they are to design and produce.

Has thought of comparing these $130 toys to those $6 toys we bought as a kid? Taking inflation into account as well? Did the old Bandai and Takatoku's ever sell for $6USD?

Call me crazy, but I think that part of the reason these toys cost so much is how expensive they are to design and produce.

420540[/snapback]

Not totally crazy... but maybe closer than you think if you think they cost anywhere near $120-$140 to make... :p just playin man~

but for real... I think the price has more to do with how well the sales are for these things rather than production costs. That and the fact that these are niche market collectibles and not JUST "toys"~ Some are as good as printing money like the 1/48 vf-1, and others are a disappointing "Why the F**K did we listen to those damned fan boys" productions like the Q-rau, or Konig Monster. ^_^

These days I think they're definitely looking more towards NET PROFIT from their Macross Toy Division, rather than putting too much weight on the success or disappointment of a specific product... The deluge of products coming out the last half of this year is so far STELLAR.... The perfect blend of printing money with repaints and making the fans happy and excited about their brand again with the new stuff.

Here's a thought: with all the new releases this fall, maybe the 1/48 Yamato toy market will get oversaturated (like on eBay) ... scaring vendors into reducing prices for their stock of valkyries, this causing a price war?!?

:rolleyes:

One can hope ......

:p

No one is forcing anyone to buy of every valk released.

What is the issue here?

420225[/snapback]

You forget the part about how Yamato has laced their toys with heroin. Nobody's forcing anybody to buy anything, but we've developed some sick addiction. Our dealers know what we need, and they're getting rich off poor people like me, as we slowly die. I'm starting to get the shakes again, myself... I think I'll go look at the YF19 forum...

Here's a thought: with all the new releases this fall, maybe the 1/48 Yamato toy market will get oversaturated (like on eBay) ... scaring vendors into reducing prices for their stock of valkyries, this causing a price war?!?

:rolleyes:

One can hope ......

:p

420639[/snapback]

I hope that is the case. :rolleyes:

Im O.k with the prices at the moment as I only have a couple. I could have bought two in Japan earlier this year but resisted temtation :( that and the Release date for the zero was put back until the day after I went home.

I just dont have the room at the moment. So I cant get anymore no matter how much I want them all (except the LV2).

No matter your situation only buy what you can afford to.

Just think todays "real" kids toys cost nearly tripple what they cost our parents in the 70`s and 80`s . So our kids are gonna have to be millionares to aford to buy the stuff from their childhoods when they are our age.

420446[/snapback]

A-men.

HA!

I only own 3 Yamato Valks, all 1/60's. I look longingly at 1/48 pics...but I really just put my money towards my other hobby, videogame collecting.

But....I really would like one of those VF-0's......and a 1/48 Angel Bird. Might have to do something about that.

HA!

I only own 3 Yamato Valks, all 1/60's. I look longingly at 1/48 pics...but I really just put my money towards my other hobby, videogame collecting.

But....I really would like one of those VF-0's......and a 1/48 Angel Bird. Might have to do something about that.

420672[/snapback]

Bro, if you go 1/48 you may never turn back. Take caution!

haha.... i just can't stop!!! i keep buying and buying..... i feel the pain.... but the pleasure of knowing the value of the toys.... that's something else too....

these toys DO have value...which makes them more special i think... so when you finally can save up the money to afford it... then i think its worth it.....

i don't think i could ever swear off buying toys and cool stuff... now that i have the money to pay for it... these are things i've always wanted as a kid...but i always got Chinatown bootlegs instead.... now i can afford some quality toys and not break em while i play w/ em!!

(except for that dayam BP8 i broke a couple of months ago.... *sniff*!!)

Moderation in all things. Moderation.

If you're spending tons of money on Valkyries to the detriment of your life - whatever part of your life that may be - obviously something is wrong. It pays to have some other interests and a well rounded perspective. This is a 20+ year-old anime franchise, not a life altering event like meeting your wife. Treat it accordingly and you'll be good.

Moderation in all things.  Moderation.

If you're spending tons of money on Valkyries to the detriment of your life - whatever part of your life that may be - obviously something is wrong.  It pays to have some other interests and a well rounded perspective.  This is a 20+ year-old anime franchise, not a life altering event like meeting your wife.  Treat it accordingly and you'll be good.

420719[/snapback]

Well said. But I think all the battying and complaining gets a little old at times. I'm not to happy about the short drop time of Yamato's latest releases either but what can you do. They are a business whose goal is to make profits. By doing so they can stay in business and give the fans some of the other cool toys we salivate for. If that means maximizing the 1/48 mold then who are we to complain. The opposite could also be true. They could not be around making macross toys for us to scream about. I don't make as much as I would like (who does) but I get some perverse satisfaction when I hear my coworkers constantly batty and complain about their salaries. They gripe about not making enough to do some of the things they want to do, but These same people eat out for luch 5 days a week and they rarely work overtime. I take nearly every opportunity I can to work OT and I've cut my spending on things I've deemed less important. The result has been that I've been able to afford to keep up with this macross addiction, while still contributing to my 401 K, my savings account and customizing my car here and there. So I guess I'm saying is a little hard work never hurt anyone.

There's no law that says you must buy every new release once it hits the streets. My advice to any collector is to prioritize. Buy only what you can reasonably afford and only purchase the toys that mean the most to you. There are enough sellers of these toys to ensure that there will be sufficient stock of these things well after their release dates. So get what you can when you can afford it.

Toy collecting shouldn't account for no more than 10 % of your monthly expenses.

Guys, I'm not directly complaining about buying the Valks. I'm happy we have them available, but it is the amount of releases all at nearly the same time. Yamato knows this is a "high cost","quality product". I don't understand the rush in this releases. Everyone loves money, but come on.

By this time Yamato knows Macross' fans will gladly buy their products. And yes, I know, if you don't like it, then don't buy it... I think "sensitive" marketing would probably help sales be more responsive, rather than saturating the market like this.

That's just my opinion.

I really don't buy many "toys", but I will admit this is a weakness. I only own 2 Valks and am looking forward to getting a few more. These truly are awesome products that I display in my home. I get really cool comments all the time from people who know nothing about them.

I really don't buy many "toys", but I will admit this is a weakness. I only own 2 Valks and am looking forward to getting a few more. These truly are awesome products that I display in my home. I get really cool comments all the time from people who know nothing about them.

420765[/snapback]

I wish I got comments about mine most people just think its some kids toys I have in a display cabinet from back in the day.

Wow, Just 5 years ago any one of us would have killed for a valk of the quality thats available now. If your burned out, only buy what really sparks your interest. I bought my first macross item in two years just a couple of weeks ago. Don't worry about keeping up with everybody else. Just prioritize get what you want and be thankful you have the choices that are available today.

I do have to admit that 2-3 years back I got caught up in the gotta have em all syndrome. I had to take a step back and re-prioritize what was important. I ended up selling off more than half of my collection. I agree that these things are expensive but think of the guys that dropped a grand on the old taku valks. Just be thankful that were not stuck with sub-par toys and remember it shouldn't be a race to see who can have the most valks.

I think the point here is: We want to collect most of them, because we like most of them. Which is impossible for most of us due to the high cost of these valks. This is very frustating to most of us.

Yeah, I admit I try to get doubles if I can, but I've also reached my limit. Man, money do not grow in trees around here. At least not yet :)

Also I have to re-think my storage due to yamato's "Godzilla-like" boxes