New 1/48 Angel Birds Valk By Yamato

Dante74

If they'd used Blue ANGELs blue and ThunderBIRDS red, it'd probably look awesome.  Or just use all Thunderbirds colors---it looks like the original design did more of a 90/10 Thunderbirds/Blue Angels split than a mix of each.  Here we could get into a debate about "intended" vs "on-screen" or whatever colors.  Since it's so clearly (both visually and name-wise) imitating the US demonstration squadrons, my opinion is that it was always intended to be the deep red and blue used by those squadrons---not the lighter colors we actually get. 

Kind of like I think Roy's valks should flat-out have Insignia yellow for their accents, as that is the shade of yellow the Jolly Rogers have used for some 50 years on their planes--and Yamato's is too pale.  Match what the scheme itself is trying to copy, not old animation cels...

Ok, here's a quick recolor I did approximating Thunderbirds red and Blue Angel blue.  I think it'd be even better with Thunderbirds/Insignia blue---the very dark blue you find on an actual fabric US flag.

425786[/snapback]

That does look good. You're just envisioning more stronger masculine like colours.

But alas, you can only do so much when it comes to battroid mode. :p

nice catch wolfx!

Thanks for the pics~

Are the angelbirds markings on the side of the legs tampo printed?

425603[/snapback]

Sorry. Have limited net access now. The Side of the legs are stickers. The markings on the wings are tampo printed though. I hope to see the VF-0A and hopefully the 1/60 YF-19 tommorow at chara hobby. ;)

nice catch wolfx!

Thanks for the pics~

425603[/snapback]

Sorry. Have limited net access now. The Side of the legs are stickers. The markings on the wings are tampo printed though. I hope to see the VF-0A and hopefully the 1/60 YF-19 tommorow at chara hobby. ;)

425989[/snapback]

Is the YF-19 already mocked up??

nice catch wolfx!

Thanks for the pics~

425603[/snapback]

425989[/snapback]

Be a bad boy and take pics for us! We need our fix!

Have fun though! :)

If they'd used Blue ANGELs blue and ThunderBIRDS red, it'd probably look awesome.  Or just use all Thunderbirds colors---it looks like the original design did more of a 90/10 Thunderbirds/Blue Angels split than a mix of each.  Here we could get into a debate about "intended" vs "on-screen" or whatever colors.  Since it's so clearly (both visually and name-wise) imitating the US demonstration squadrons, my opinion is that it was always intended to be the deep red and blue used by those squadrons---not the lighter colors we actually get. 

Kind of like I think Roy's valks should flat-out have Insignia yellow for their accents, as that is the shade of yellow the Jolly Rogers have used for some 50 years on their planes--and Yamato's is too pale.  Match what the scheme itself is trying to copy, not old animation cels...

Ok, here's a quick recolor I did approximating Thunderbirds red and Blue Angel blue.  I think it'd be even better with Thunderbirds/Insignia blue---the very dark blue you find on an actual fabric US flag.

425786[/snapback]

That blue is better looking for the ABs Darker blue tone is much better than the blue currently on the ABs. I have to say that the blue on that is not really that bright for the Blue Angels. Here is my custom BA I did a while back. See the rest here.

BA15.jpg

post-4-1091257574_thumb.jpg

Yea I like those new pictures, and the box looks pretty cool too. Needless to say I am really excited about this release. I am also glad that it comes from an Gunpod, I was kinda worried that maybe it wouldnt have.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't recall seeing any in DYRL, but it still has the chicken hands for perfect transformation. As far as I can tell, all the 1/48s come with chicken hands for this specific reason. But hopefully Yamato will include the TV fat hands with these as well.

We don't SEE the Angel Birds in DYRL,however when we first see Valks being readied for launch,Misa says something like"Skull,Angel,& Apollo Teams,stand by." I just assumed Angel Team was the AngelBirds.

I recieved my angel Birds today and the joints on this thing are tight as all get out. This baby is gorgeous in fighter mode. I'd like to start a small sqaud of them, but there are other macross toys that are still yearning to be bought. I was disappointed that Yamato decided not to include the insignia sticker that is shown on the hasegawa box art, but oh well.

I recieved my angel Birds today and the joints on this thing are tight as all get out. This baby is gorgeous in fighter mode. I'd like to start a small sqaud of them, but there are other macross toys that are still yearning to be bought. I was disappointed that Yamato decided not to include the insignia sticker that is shown on the hasegawa box art, but oh well.

So did it come with the TV hands? I thought I saw a pic awhile back that looked like there were no TV hands

Im suprised that noone noticed what the Angel Birds color scheme is supposed to look like when in Battroid...School Girls Uniform. Yuo the little sailor outfit...

Now that it's been pointed out, I definitely WON'T be getting this thing-lol...

What insignia? Got a pic of it? Maybe Anasazi37 can whip it out...

Bugger. You got to be kidding me?

Then again....Yamato technically didn't have to put one on the sheet. I mean, there was no insignia in the TV series....

There wasnt in the TV? I dont recall. Maybe i need to pull my copy out and look in slow motion. I mean if there isnt, then Yamato is making it anime correct so you cannot fault them.

There wasnt in the TV? I dont recall. Maybe i need to pull my copy out and look in slow motion. I mean if there isnt, then Yamato is making it anime correct so you cannot fault them.

Why do you have to do everything in slow motion? I tell you all the time, it doesnt look cool in real life... it looks stupid! And making that six million dollar man sound doesnt help!

So walk the plank ye scurvy dog! AAAR!

It came with the angel birds script(which goes on the leg) on a separate sticker sheet. The insignia I was referring to is the one that preceeds the script on the leg, and it is aslo present on the side of the cockpit where the skull insignia normally appears. This insignia is seen on the Hasegawa box art and in Tamjins artbook. Sorry for the confusion.

And the Angel Birds doesn't come with the TV Style hands. The gummy pilot is wearing the green tv style flight suit.

Edited by Golden Arms

Very happy with my Angel Bird. That said, I haven't transformed it and probably won't. Fighter mode looks the best IMO for this paint scheme.

It's going to end up on display in fighter mode, without any missiles or gunpod, just the way it was in the TV series.

It's great that we finally have a production toy of it.

Graham

I bought this toy... I'm not exactly sure why. I think maybe I bought it because I don't think Yamato will ever re-release it... but if that's the case I'm dumb and lack foresight. I think I mostly bought it to show support for Yamato's making more variations.

I'm probably going to do exactly what Graham has done but as a general rule I transform every toy at least once just to make sure it hasn't been delivered to me already broken or missing some element.

Very happy with my Angel Bird. That said, I haven't transformed it and probably won't. Fighter mode looks the best IMO for this paint scheme.

It's going to end up on display in fighter mode, without any missiles or gunpod, just the way it was in the TV series.

It's great that we finally have a production toy of it.

Graham

Totally agree.

Just got the AngelBird from HLJ. Very good Valk. Nice cover on the box. Wish it came with a white gun pod.

Also got a set of the Stealth Type Fast Packs. Yamato stickers on back of box art work looks awful. Very realistic and honest example of their stickers on the Stealth.

Edit: Just noticed that the floor was not painted aircraft gray it is just the white plastic.

Edited by Fly4victory

• 2 weeks later...

[small rant]

i just got my AB today(thanks Neova) but i have a small issue wiht the paint....whats with the overspray of blue paint on the chest piece? the white stripe on the chest has a bluish haze on it....grrrrr!

[/small rant]

i'll have to TF it when i get home but so far it looks a-okay.

i'm really digging the green pilot figure, if anyone want to sell/trade theres, please hit me up. :)