I just started watching this series a few weeks ago and am already at Episode 20 of the 1st season. This is pretty awesome, hot chicks with permanent PMS and guns. Revy has that crazy element which make this all the better. Rock seems so reserve, like Renton from Eureka 7. Each epsidoe is a bag of TNT and never a dull moment.

Somehow the Black Lagoon setting reminds me of Macross Zero.

• 2 months later...

Wow.

She did not just shoot. . . . . . . . . did she? :blink:

Finally watched all three OVAs with subs. Interesting tidbit about Chang. Gonna have to rewatch that dialogue between him and Rock again.

So, when is OVA #4 coming out?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for heads up, UN Spacy!

Is it just me, or did Rock have that fang-looking grin usually reserved for Revy or Balalaika at the end of the ep?

Interesting back-stories revealed here too.

Can't heap enough praise on these OVAs! Definitely on par with the stuff from the first two seasons!

• 3 months later...

Subs for OVA #5 are now out.

Not sure whether I like the ending or not.

I'm curious to see how some of you interpreted the ending, specifically the one for Rock.

But a few of my impressions:

• Just when you think you've seen everything, Roberta takes her hardcore craziness to another level. :ph34r:
  • Very interesting backstories that they're showing in these OVAs. Revy's in particular was pretty frakked up.
  • When (or why) did Roberta have her left arm amputated?

Subs for OVA #5 are now out.

Not sure whether I like the ending or not.

I'm curious to see how some of you interpreted the ending, specifically the one for Rock.

But a few of my impressions:

• Just when you think you've seen everything, Roberta takes her hardcore craziness to another level. :ph34r:
  • Very interesting backstories that they're showing in these OVAs. Revy's in particular was pretty frakked up.
  • When (or why) did Roberta have her left arm amputated?

They're definitely leaving that door open.

But yeah...

her amputated left arm...must've been from all the nerve damage and random handgun rounds

:ph34r:

I think Rock's slowly descending down the dark path. He has the best of intentions (to be a "Catcher in the Rye" type person, who saves people from descending into the criminal underworld themselves).

But we all know the quote about the path to Hell and best intentions.

His actions over the course of the entire OVA make him almost as bad as most of the folks in Roanapur.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate ending has Revy shooting Rock in the head to "save" him from doing something truly evil and irredeemable.

Regarding Roberta, I think

the nerve damage and multiple gunshot wounds is a very likely reason. But I have a feeling the whole shooting at her young master bit prompted her to have the arm amputated (Didn't she mention something about not being able to control her arm and hand from firing the gun?). :unsure:

• 2 years later...

Based on tonight's episode I might grab this one on DVD. B))

man, watching anime on toonami and buying DVDs. What's it like still living in 2002?

Edited by anime52k8

It's fun to see the episodes again (even if it is dubbed).

There's definitely some standout moments in the first season that I'm itchin' to see again (the defiant middle finger, Revy's soliloquy over a skull, Episode 7, "Your shoelaces are untied.").

But I'm secretly hoping Toonami/Adult Swim airs Second Barrage too. That took the series to a whole new level of greatness.

I still love the scene where Revy and Rock light their cigarettes....together. :)

OT. I'm still kicking myself in the arse for canceling my preorder for ALTER's Revy figure. :(