Caprica! Dynasty Meets BSG

Well, since it's getting canceled, what's the general premise of the show? From what little I've gleamed, it has to do with the copying of a dead loved ones memories leading into developing Cylons?

God did it? Which annoyed me at the end of nBSG. The existence of Head Zoe indicates that. She has an epiphany of the Cylon as child before Daniel even conceived of it. Sort of a proto-Starbuck.

After Philomon died the Cylons started to work. Not sentient like Zoe-A and Tamara-A but at least not moronic. But if we go by Serge's responses in Tweets, though Serge denies it, it is self aware. Yeah Colonials can build AI without a human copy they don't just realize it.

Course given what bits we know about the Final Five Earthers it is always these Head People that instigates the end of humanity by introducing immortality and one eyed killer robots.

Well, since it's getting canceled, what's the general premise of the show? From what little I've gleamed, it has to do with the copying of a dead loved ones memories leading into developing Cylons?

The general premise is that everything that happens in BSG is the fault of a bitchy teen-aged girl.

God did it? Which annoyed me at the end of nBSG. The existence of Head Zoe indicates that. She has an epiphany of the Cylon as child before Daniel even conceived of it. Sort of a proto-Starbuck.

After Philomon died the Cylons started to work. Not sentient like Zoe-A and Tamara-A but at least not moronic. But if we go by Serge's responses in Tweets, though Serge denies it, it is self aware. Yeah Colonials can build AI without a human copy they don't just realize it.

Course given what bits we know about the Final Five Earthers it is always these Head People that instigates the end of humanity by introducing immortality and one eyed killer robots.

The Final Five arrived in the Twelve colony's after the war had started. The Colonial Human had already developed sentient AI and the Five were trying to warn them.

The Final Five arrived in the Twelve colony's after the war had started. The Colonial Human had already developed sentient AI and the Five were trying to warn them.

See... that's something I would have loved to see early on. Not only are you linking the 2 shows but you give the audience some kind of investment on the show. I mean it's not like they had to "arrive" after the war but let themselves known after while having a storyline before realizing who they were... again... the familiar theme of "it happened before..."

I'm actually more curious about why the A.I. Cylons yielded to their newer fleshy incarnations that the 5 made them. Were all of the previous Cylons somehow uploaded into new "real" bodies? Were they simply boxed? or were they tricked into the newer super toaster bodies that had the inhibiters in them. That's the one bit that never quite jived for me.

Edited by Keith

The Final Five's society created their own AI soldier/slaves that resemble Cylons. It was not a coincidence if the previous episode is of any indication. The Earth Cylon society once had organic memory transfer resurrection which originated from Kobol. They abandoned this in favor of natural reproduction. The Final Five were scientists who each had contact with Head Persons warning them of the impending doom of their society urging them to recreate the resurrection process. The Head Persons sent them on an errand to warn the 12 Colonies that they would end the same way if they don't treat their AI better. Again a Head Person is responsible for instigating the creation of AI and a VR version of the resurrection process via Zoe Graystone.

If we go by the show mantra "This has happened before and this will happen again" then this has happened on the eve of the 13th Tribe's exodus from Kobol, 2000 years later with the 12 Tribes exodus from Kobol to the Colonies, the destruction of Earth around the same time, and the death and exodus from the 12 Colonies. Course Head Persons knew the Final Five would barely make it to stop the First Cylon War. Still that didn't stop the cycle.

I'm actually more curious about why the A.I. Cylons yielded to their newer fleshy incarnations that the 5 made them. Were all of the previous Cylons somehow uploaded into new "real" bodies? Were they simply boxed? or were they tricked into the newer super toaster bodies that had the inhibiters in them. That's the one bit that never quite jived for me.

We knew they trying to create new life via Hybrids before the Final Five made their offer. More likely One/John/Cavil pulled a coup as not all of the Model-005 Cylons agreed with the new management. These would be the Guardians. He also killed Seven/Daniel permanently, and vacuumed then boxed his parents the Final Five.

Edited by RedWolf

• 1 month later...

Did I miss something? I thought we had to wait for January to watch the last 5 eps...

Canada's Space channel aired Caprica till the end. Thank goodness not a cliffhanger but open ended.

Guess we'll have to wait for Blood and Chrome series which will feature the 10th year of the First Cylon War with William "Bill" Adama as the protagonist.

• 3 weeks later...

How to survive a zombie holiday:

Yes, this is the Caprica thread. I needed to post this somewhere, and this is surprisingly appropriate. (it was either here or the Walking Dead thread)

I don't get what it has to do with failed BSG prequels but I lol'ed none the less. :lol:

How to survive a zombie holiday:

Yes, this is the Caprica thread. I needed to post this somewhere, and this is surprisingly appropriate. (it was either here or the Walking Dead thread)

That was awesome!

Anyone playing Dead Nation? Awesome zombie game.

• 2 weeks later...

Today the is airing of the last 5 episode... Starting 3pm Pacific Time.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm on episode 16 and I'm just thinking, "goddamn Greystone just kills yourself already or I might just put a bullet in my own skull," lol...

It's funny but sad how they squeeze what maybe 3 or 4 seasons worth of story into a 5 minute montage in the end. Oh well, adios Caprica.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see those things gradually develop. I really would have liked to see more of Lacy's takeover of the Monos. 'Course, any excuse to see more of her is a good thing... :wub:

What I still wish we HAD seen was what set the cylons apart from being just robots. For the first half of the show, Zoe was the only U87 that worked at all. Then suddenly, they all were functional and getting secretly exported. Even at the end, they required Daniel's control to function completely. How did they go from that to "differently sentient?" Nice term, btw. That's what all of us really wanted to see anyway! A few hints would have been nice, crammed into the script at the last minute. Ah well, one of many, many strings left dangling...

Final thoughts: It was nice to see a cylon sporting some armor ("Sarge"), rather than just running around as a nigh-invulnerable endoskelton. Also, what was the deal with Willie Adama? Was it always supposed to be a "What a twist!!" moment? Maybe the age math didn't add up? Or did they realize many BSG fans didn't think the Old Man began as this whiny kid? (Call it the Anakin Syndrome)

It's funny but sad how they squeeze what maybe 3 or 4 seasons worth of story into a 5 minute montage in the end. Oh well, adios Caprica.

Yeah, I can't help but feel that I missed a few hundred things watching the finale. I should watch it over again, but...nah...