I honestly can't understand how anyone could say this film is pro feminism. Sure the plot revolves around a strong willed woman kicking ass, but often a lot that goes wrong in this for the protagonists is because a woman made a bad choice/does something stupid and Max has to be the one to bail them out of it.

I honestly can't understand how anyone could say this film is pro feminism. Sure the plot revolves around a strong willed woman kicking ass, but often a lot that goes wrong in this for the protagonists is because a woman made a bad choice/does something stupid and Max has to be the one to bail them out of it.

I don't think she made a bad choice. They were desperate.

Cool trivia.

Did anybody notice:

that the actor who played the main bad guy, Immortan Joe, in Fury Road, was the same actor who played "Toecutter", the main bad guy in the original Mad Max movie?

Hugh_Keays_Byrne_Toecutter_Mad_Max_Fury_

Edited by taksraven

I am more excited than ever to play the MAD MAX game when its released this September. The gameplay is supposed to be very similar to Shadow of Mordor which is totally cool with me!

On more news Pitch Perfect 2 made the MAD money as I expected this weekend. I think for MAD MAX to be more successful they should of released it earlier this year, between Fast & Furious and Age of Ultron.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/pitch-perfect-2-kicking-mad-maxs-box-office-booty-on-track-for-60m-debut-1201428039/

Hope is a mistake.

Face your problems.

That was the big message for me.

And thankfully the claims of it being co-oped for something else were exaggerated. I didn't even mind when Max

couldn't make the shot and Furiosa made the kill.

I think there was plenty for both of the hero's to do. Max was squarely in the driver seat and had plenty of time to be a badass, so that was a relief.

He also ended up being the voice of reason, which I think is important.

I even liked Furiosa's character, but I liked the redemption of the war boy even more. It was nice to see that arc.

A kid with no direction but destruction realizing there is something more. The boys were just as victimized as the girls in that society, just in a different way.

My only complaint was that there wasn't any scenes with Max kicking ass in the Charger. I would have liked to have seen him grab his car back in the chase and wreck some crap.

Overall it was a great two hour chase scene. The plot moved perfectly, and the visuals were joyous. I loved the guitar herald. Had me chuckling the whole movie.

On the pursuit special,

I too was disappointed by the lack of Max in V8 Interceptor action, and thought for sure he'd steal it back by the end of the film, but unfortunately it met its demise... again.

Maybe next movie.

It did dreadful in the tickets sold department, hopefully it does better overseas. Part of the problem (at least locally) is that it was not showing in Imax - Avengers was still hogging the Imax theaters.

Like I posted before releasing it against Pitch Perfect 2 was a bad idea. If they could they should of released this film way before the Summer films started.

Mad Max has made $109 million globally since release. It's doing just fine. I have no doubt that next film will be green lit for production.

That is actually pretty (very) bad. If it does not have "legs" it will not not get a sequel. Since the reviews and buzz have been positive it most likely will not drop too much in the coming week or two.

I do agree with Mike -

How would grandma's survive in this world and be snipers? Also how does Furiosa plan on defending her new kingdom from the other clans and such? The ending was a bit hokey.

From Manly movie, a blog I love:

We have the opening weekend box office numbers for Mad Max: Fury Road, a really good action movie loved by all who have seen it.

Domestic (USA): 44.4 million
International: 110 million

The budget for the movie is said to be around $150 million. It didn’t actually top the box office, instead Pitch Perfect 2 went on a rampage and took $70 million, more than twice its budget. I really don’t know what’s wrong with this picture, but I actually had to Google this ‘Perfect’ movie, it’s a femlae-orientated comedy, or something. More people showed up to that than they did Fury Road, and that’s the bottom line.

I don’t know if I’d call this a bomb just yet, or a financial disappointment. I’d wager that the movie will have long legs, especially going into memorial weekend in the USA where the older generation who will be more familiar with the movie will be more inclined to hang back a week before catching a movie. The film is also getting extremely positive word of mouth, so that always counts as well.

Covering the $150 million should be easy enough but ‘success’ for these things is not simply a criterion of passing the original budget. I’d say we’ll get another movie, the hugely positive feedback and the remainder of its run the world over will probably ensure that.

Edited by Gakken85

Overall it was a great two hour chase scene. The plot moved perfectly, and the visuals were joyous. I loved the guitar herald. Had me chuckling the whole movie.

There are lot to like on this movie but I really love the guitar herald as well.

Ok, I learned a new term today: "Men's Rights Advocates." I dunno WTF that means, but anyone boycotting Fury Road has got to be about as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with the movie. Still, it may seem like a easy subject to mock and I don't want to derail this thread however if I did I'd start with 'Duke Lacrosse' and 'Rolling Stone.'

Understandable on ticket sales lacking. You look at the trailers and you think high violence and not everyone has seen mad max. I was talking about wanting to go see it with some friends over the weekend and they all looked at me asking wtf is mad max? When I then said it was an old Mel Gibson film they went "eh" then I said it was played by Tom hardy and I got blank stares. So I just said ".......bane."

"OOOOOOH! You think darkness is your ally?!"

I hope the film does well. Like Hikuro I've tried to get a sense for how this film is being perceived from my social circles. I've asked a bunch of my friends and coworkers that are much younger than I am, typically around 30 years old or less - what they thought of the Mad Max: Fury Road trailers and received a similar reaction. One or two even said they thought the film just looked too silly and over-the-top, turned off by that very daring "world-gone-mad" tone that so impressed me about the trailers.

I think perhaps pop culture presence also has something to do with the less enthusiastic response from younger viewers. Unlike many sci-fi or action properties that produced sequels for decades until the well had run dry, the Mad Max franchise pretty much ended in 1985 and hasn't been seen in popular culture in any significant form for now 30 years. That's longer than the length of time of an entire generation. Perhaps some folks simply lack context and thus don't know what to make of it. Sadly, a significant proportion of the modern audience only want familiar things from their entertainment, trailers that tell the whole story and give the consumer exactly what they want. I'm not blaming people for that because it's a behaviour born of the result of being lied to by film marketing and led astray by deceptive advertising for decades. Digressing, I think that lack of context will turn some folks away. May explain some of the numbers.

Edited by Mr March

As a fan of the originals I loved it. I would even say its a reboot but also really it could take place anytime after Mad Max1 but sometime before 2? Though that might all change with the sequel green lit to this. Either way it was really well done and nice to see Miller still has the chops and then some!!

Wouldn't worry about the numbers - sequel is happening.

George Miller @GMillerMax · May 17

Hello Twitter! Thanks for all the kind words written and said about the film. We had a lot of fun making it..and there's more Max to come.

4,502 retweets 4,849 favorites
Manly movie:

There is more Mad Max to come and we’re not just talking about Mad Max: The Video Game due September 1st, rather the fifth movie George mentions above. And according to Variety the movie will be called Mad Max: The Wasteland.

See kids, this is how you update a 1980’s action franchise, not by whoring out in an attempt to stay relevant. (more on this tomorrow). I also think the consensus is that Tom Hardy is accepted as the new Max. He got the blessing of both Miller and Mel Gibson.

Edited by Gakken85

Just came back from the cinema....I'm utterly blown away. What an incredible spectacle this was. I got taken for a two hour ride and wasn't let go for a second.

Hardy and Theron are every bit as good as advertised.

http://nerdist.com/mad-max-fan-theory-will-make-you-want-to-see-fury-road-again/

There’s a fun fan theory making its way around the interwebs that proposes that Hardy is Max in moniker only. As if Gibson’s Max passed the torch along with his jacket and his V8 Interceptor on to a new Road Warrior…but if this is true, then who is this mysterious man hesitatingly calling himself Max in Fury Road?

Maybe someone not so mysterious after all, someone we were already introduced to long ago, though he was only a boy then…a growling, grunting, boomerang-throwing boy. None other than ‘The Feral Kid’ from Road Warrior (played then by Emil Minty)!

Feral-Kid-05192015-615x254.png

My only complaint was that there wasn't any scenes with Max kicking ass in the Charger. I would have liked to have seen him grab his car back in the chase and wreck some crap.

Charger? You mean Falcon, I guess :D

You can't capture a Charger B))

Edited by charger69

Just came back from the cinema....I'm utterly blown away. What an incredible spectacle this was. I got taken for a two hour ride and wasn't let go for a second.

Hardy and Theron are every bit as good as advertised.

My thoughts exactly!!