Best trailer I've seen in a while. So much going on. It looks like at least three different factions in that chase scene. The dude with the mechanical looking skull jaw looks creepy as hell.....perhaps the best Mad Max villain ever? Based on the pics and trailer...it almost looks like maybe that white haired chick is related to that creepy skull face guy....and that pale faced kid seen in previous pics a possible escapee from that "cult" of other pale faced dudes...lots of "win" so far...

Hope this is good.....

And it sure looks like an alternative universe reboot to me.....even has the old Interceptor from the Road Warrior....nothing says a continuation from Mad Max 4...and definitely not a prequel!

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Benxander/Fury_Road:_sequel,_reboot_or_something_else%3F

Pulls some quotes and references interviews. What I said on the previous page is as accurate a take as you are going to get.

Pretty interesting read, the writer came to the conclusion that it's both a sequel and reboot with a fairly satisfying way of reconciling the two.

-b.

Pretty interesting read, the writer came to the conclusion that it's both a sequel and reboot with a fairly satisfying way of reconciling the two.

-b.

What you get out of the various interviews with those involved is that this is indeed the same Max, but that each movie has had someone else (within that world) telling his story. Thus, it becomes a matter of perspective and storytelling, sort of how we have many different versions of the Arthur legend.

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Benxander/Fury_Road:_sequel,_reboot_or_something_else%3F

Pulls some quotes and references interviews. What I said on the previous page is as accurate a take as you are going to get.

That it's an alternate universe take on the ongoing story? Yeah...that's what I had already thought/posted before you posted it...but I was wondering if within the existing 3 movies if this was a direct sequel (within the film's timeline or not)....if Miller says it is...then who are we to argue with that....

Actually, it sort of reminds me of what they did with Evil Dead (the original) and Evil Dead 2......heck...I guess you can add the Evil Dead remake too (although I have yet to see it, but I think it is more of a reboot from what I've read).....

It even reminds me of Kawamori's current explanations of the Macross series...that each one is a sequel, but not necessarily following the timeline originally created with SDFM...

Guess sometimes it's just better to just sit back and enjoy the show....

Well...alternate as in like the story told by different folks....

Actually...I can see how Max would "appear" much older to the "kids" from Thunderdome.....thus how he is projected onscreen to the viewer....makes perfect sense if each film is the story of Max (post-apocalyptic messiah) as told by one of his "disciples"....

Mastermind indeed....

I am going to have to call you later... I have been shaking my head since you sent me this trailer over the weekend.

DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME?

Luckily, no. ;)

This looks great so far. i really like the explanation of "told by" to show why he looks different. It totally fits with the narrative of the other movies.

What? The fu*k are you all on about, eh? The first movie was told from third-person, not any particular character's point of view/recollection. Bollocks to this...

They [Miller et al] lost me with their big middle finger to continuity. Follows Thunderdome, indeed. Rubbish.

What? The fu*k are you all on about, eh? The first movie was told from third-person, not any particular character's point of view/recollection. Bollocks to this...

They [Miller et al] lost me with their big middle finger to continuity. Follows Thunderdome, indeed. Rubbish.

You sir, are a man of science. We are on an island surrounded by those of poorer taste and intellect. Let us toast our superiority.

I was watching Road Warrior, having a beeeaah, and reading wikipedia. Saw this:

"Miller cited the film Akira as an inspiration for what he wanted to do with the franchise."

Wonder if any of that survived from 2009 to what we're going to get now.

Also, isn't the narrator in the second film the little kid with the razor boomarang?

Edited by Gakken85

Also, isn't the narrator in the second film the little kid with the razor boomarang?

Uh I forgot about that. Each film is from a different perspective. This franchise is so screwed up. IMO, they should have made a sequel that ignores everything except the original.

Just rapist, crazy bikers vs. cops in a collapsed government/anarchy society. (the feel of the original could actually happen... In fact it is happening in a few 3rd world countries today actually)

This over-the-top desert dwelling ass-less chap/football pad wearing warlords is ridiculous.

You sir, are a man of science. We are on an island surrounded by those of poorer taste and intellect. Let us toast our superiority.

Cheers! B))

As a big fan of the first 2 movies, I'm just disappointed with where this one seems to be going. They contain (still) some of the best stunt work ever caught on film; the new one appers to be smattered all over with CGI.

Based on their own merit--how good a job they do of telling the story--I think Miller is capable of better, and moviegoers should expect as much.

Cheers! B))

As a big fan of the first 2 movies, I'm just disappointed with where this one seems to be going. They contain (still) some of the best stunt work ever caught on film; the new one appers to be smattered all over with CGI.

Based on their own merit--how good a job they do of telling the story--I think Miller is capable of better, and moviegoers should expect as much.

You must be the only one who isn't aware all the vehicle stunts are real, some of which are done by the actors themselves. So no, it's not a CGI fest. This is George Miller directing Mad Max, not George Lucas.

Hmm, where do we see digital "stunt work" so far--in just this trailer alone?

1:27 - CG dust, flying baddies

1:51 - CG exploding car

1:55 - CG twirling exploding cars, bouncing bodies a la Twister or something

2:20 - CG motorcycle dude crashing under semi

3 is so weird.

The helicopter guy shows up and lurks around for no reason, and his teeth are fixed.

And the second half is mostly nonsense.

Pretty sure that Jebediah the Pilot and the Gyro Captain are meant to be 2 separate characters--although it's still debated. Also: if you look close, you'll see the Gyro Captain's "cleaned up" his teeth by the end of MM2--probably in his efforts to woo the young chippie in the refinery tribe. ;)

The arguments against their being the same guy are pretty sound though; 1. the Gyro Captain travels far away with the Feral Kid's tribe and eventually becomes their leader, as related in his narrative at the end of MM2. 2. neither of them "recognizes" the other in MM3. Pretty unlikely if he were meant to be the GC in Beyond Thunderdome, since by the end of MM2 it could be said that in a way, he and Max had formed a true bond of friendship. 3. Directors tend to choose/work with the same actors on multiple projects. Perfect case in point--from the same movie series: actor Max Fairchild appears in the first 2 movies as 2 different characters. In MM he plays Benno, the mentally challenged man at Aunt May's farm; in MM2 he's the larger bearded guy who gets tied to the front of The Humungous' truck.

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 weeks later...