Lots of actors in Mad Max films get hired to portray other characters across all Mad max films.....kinda lends itself with that whole concept of different people "retelling" the same stories....characters getting mixed-up or placed into different events where they may have existed or not based on who is telling the story.....kinda cool actually

looking forward to this Mad Max movie....

MMFR_Max_Online_Art_DOM-720x1067.jpg

MMFR_Furiosa_Online_Art_DOM-720x1067.jpg

MMFR_Nux_Online_Art_DOM-720x1067.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.

Please don't be anything like what the trailer shows. Please don't be anything like what the trailer shows. Please don't be anything like what the trailer shows.

Hehe, here's a scene from one of the more blatant Road Warrior ripoffs I'd never heard of...

Looks like Lord Humungus could have used this guy's help, LOL. I haven't been able to force myself to watch the whole thing--but it's out there. I may give it a view, just for the Mexican Jawas.... :p

Edited by reddsun1

Just think how awesome it'd have been if they'd had better funding. The original had a very meager budget of about $350K. From imdb:

"The van that is smashed in the opening chase was George Miller's own vehicle, as the production was running out of money. About 20% of the chase scenes scheduled were not shot due to lack of money."

Edited by reddsun1

• 2 weeks later...

not big on thunderdome...this is a film where you can tell Hollywood got their grubby lil hands on it.

Seconded.

I damn near wanna give this new one a half a snowball's chance, just cause Keays-Byrne is in it and is liable to act the sh*t outta that role. But I dunno; it just seems too disconnected from the originals; not nearly so much a continuation of Max's story as it is a fanboy handjob to cash in on the franchise name...

imo, what REALLY ruined this film, the ONE thing I wanna nitpick about? The damn kids. Those damn kids ruined the movie.

But it should also stand that Mel Gibson was changing too. He was starting to ditch his Auzzie accent and I felt that was very apparent in this film....which is funny cause Lethal Weapon came out 2 years later and you could REALLY hear his accent coming out to say "'ello!" Which is funny to me cause he's actually american born to irish/australian family in NY, then moved Australia, spent most of his childhood and young adult life there, then after Mad Max shot him to fame he moved out of Australia. And rest, is history.

not big on thunderdome...this is a film where you can tell Hollywood got their grubby lil hands on it.

Common misconception. It was MILLER himself who directly wanted to make this a different film. After the first 2 the character had to grow and move onto something. The first movie he lost is family. The second he learns he can't just be alone. The third he found a purpose.

Common misconception. It was MILLER himself who directly wanted to make this a different film. After the first 2 the character had to grow and move onto something. The first movie he lost is family. The second he learns he can't just be alone. The third he found a purpose.

It's still the kids. Regardless if Miller wanted to go that direction the way this movie started and ended were the tribe that stayed and the tribe that left.

That film stryker... Wow, looks better than the new Mad Max. I think when the new one comes out, I will just watch Stryker and drink vodka.

I dunno if there's been a term coined for this little niche of foreign films. There's the Spaghetti Westerns; so what would these be? Tortelloni Apocalyptics, maybe? Or, how about Dystopian Lasagne? :p

• 2 months later...

My only complaint is how orange everything is. Max looks like his liver is failing...

And before someone complains again, 80% of the special effects in Fury Road are physical/pracitcal in nature.

Having lived my entire life in a desert I can attest to the fact you will always look a little orange from so much sun exposure.

Still not feeling this at all... Is Max the main character? It seems like they're going to try to make this movie 'fun'.

Have you not seen the first three movies? If you don't have fun watching those, this isn't the franchise for you.

Soooooo you think the vibe Mad Max was going for, and apparently nailed, was "Fun"?

EDIT - I'll add a little more meat as not to be glib. In the first film his friend is lit on fire and his family run down. He doesn't "win" because he is lost. There's nothing about these trailers that make me think anything more than people he would want to die will die fantastically. Not quite the same vibe.

Edited by jenius

Aw, no use pretending; I know I'll end up checking it out, if nothing else is on. But I doubt I'll see it in theaters...

The would-be petrolhead in me is extremely bummed at the fact that they've no doubt destroyed another cool ass and rare Coupe, for the sake of a fanservice stunt (that part of the trailer made me wince a little). There were already very few of 'em made to begin with compared with say, Mustangs or Chevelles; AFAIK, they're still not repro'ing them yet, either.

I concur with jenius: nothing fun about the first (2) films. In fact, they're pretty dark, when you think about what Max has to deal with. But I think I see your point though, Duke; the stunts and action are nothing short of effin' awesome, and hold up well even compared to modern action flicks.

tumblr_m8w0b4hhXq1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Edited by reddsun1

Soooooo you think the vibe Mad Max was going for, and apparently nailed, was "Fun"?

EDIT - I'll add a little more meat as not to be glib. In the first film his friend is lit on fire and his family run down. He doesn't "win" because he is lost. There's nothing about these trailers that make me think anything more than people he would want to die will die fantastically. Not quite the same vibe.

The story clearly isn't meant to be fun; however, the action is.

*snip*

1:53 - aaaannd that's where they lost me. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, my sense of willing-suspension-of-disbelief just went: :blink:

Seriously? 'Kay, this sh*t just got stewpid.

But I'll admit that, in the annals of big budget sci-fi/action/all-around-kickass movies, that one's gonna be hard to beat: flaming tornadoes! LOL, who wants to lay odds that The Asylum is gonna release a similarly themed craptastic turd about a month before this hits the big screen, eh? :p

1:53 - aaaannd that's where they lost me. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, my sense of willing-suspension-of-disbelief just went: :blink:

Seriously? 'Kay, this sh*t just got stewpid.

But I'll admit that, in the annals of big budget sci-fi/action/all-around-kickass movies, that one's gonna be hard to beat: flaming tornadoes! LOL, who wants to lay odds that The Asylum is gonna release a similarly themed craptastic turd about a month before this hits the big screen, eh? :p

Yeah, the flaming tornado is a bit ridiculous. I mean how unrealistic is that? I mean, seriously...

fire-tornado-1.jpg

4851705_f260.jpg

Oh.

Edited by Duke Togo