Son, I am disappoint. I know why it's getting such good reviews.

I read this has basically been co-opted by Eve Ensler, (http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/) the woman who wrote the Vagina monologues.... what the actual frakk?

Basically Max isn't even the hero and this is some big push to talk about female sex slave in war based off her "research" which is a little spurious. A lecture in the guise of a male action movie. It's not about one man doing the right thing, it's about Charlize theron telling max what to do while preaching. Disgusting.

I don't usually bring up politics here on the board... and I know most of you are probably pretty pro-feminist, but I am not. Even still - beyond feminism and politics - why is the creator of the Vagina frakking monologues shadow writing Mad Max? that doesn't make any damn sense. haha I have a feeling it's getting so many good reviews because it's been aimed at drawing in female audiences to push some agenda that has nothing to do with Mad-max.

And you know what - I wouldn't even mind if they wanted to make a feminist action movie staring Charlize Theron about whatever story they wanted to push, but don't use the name Mad Max as a vehicle and con men into watching it with big explosions.

I'm not even going to go see this crap.

Tom Hardy has broken my heart haha

Edited by Gakken85

I skimmed Russ Fischer's review, and I must say: I am intrigued. After getting past the sh*ts-and-giggles stage of seeing all that action and violence--and that bada$$ muthafu**in' car--as a kid, I came to appreciate the first 2 for the great movies that they are, warts and all. For me, it's the amazing amount of effort and attention to details that Miller et al put into those films that have made me come to appreciate them on a whole different level. From the characters' dialogue, that isn't too wordy but still speaks volumes as to their relationships to each other, like Charlie and Roop; to their wardrobe and makeup, like Toecutter's gang's tattoos, or the evolution and continuity of Max's uniform from the 1st film to the 2nd--a lot of it is so subtle or seen so briefly that it really takes multiple viewings to catch it all. But it all works towards fleshing out the world the characters are in, helping fill in the backstory so that it lends their world a depth that a lot of other movies can't match.

Fischer's review reads as though Miller has once again brought this herculean effort and attention to detail to his latest outing, and I'm actually considering going over to the theater across the street after work to check it out, come this Friday.

I think the world building and the theme they are going for is what I like so much about the trailers. The production design and costumes are fully committed, going all out to sell this fictional world. I also really appreciate that although yes, the Mad Max/Road Warrior "brand" is being used to sell a known product to audiences, "Fury Road" isn't a remake or sequel. Instead it feels like a legtimate modern take on the basic concept of the Mad Max world. I don't get the sense that this is the exact same old Mad Max, but a new way of looking at a similar type of story. They've just updated it to be more relevant to modern audiences or the times. The second of the original films did a great job commenting on humanity through the characters and it feels like this film is doing the same but making a different statement. The trailers do a strong job of selling that "world gone mad" and early reviews sound like the film also has something to say about humanity and the loss of it. I'm really curious too so I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Aw yiss! Good reviews overall. Sign me up for the giant VAGINA film! :D

Seriously though, gonna catch it this weekend so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Aw yiss! Good reviews overall. Sign me up for the giant VAGINA film! :D

Seriously though, gonna catch it this weekend so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I think you'll be disappointed. Return of the Jedi and Little Pet Shop of Horrors allready came out in the 80s. :p Edited by renegadeleader1

Son, I am disappoint. I know why it's getting such good reviews.

I read this has basically been co-opted by Eve Ensler, (http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/) the woman who wrote the Vagina monologues.... what the actual frakk?

Basically Max isn't even the hero and this is some big push to talk about female sex slave in war based off her "research" which is a little spurious. A lecture in the guise of a male action movie. It's not about one man doing the right thing, it's about Charlize theron telling max what to do while preaching. Disgusting.

I don't usually bring up politics here on the board... and I know most of you are probably pretty pro-feminist, but I am not. Even still - beyond feminism and politics - why is the creator of the Vagina frakking monologues shadow writing Mad Max? that doesn't make any damn sense. haha I have a feeling it's getting so many good reviews because it's been aimed at drawing in female audiences to push some agenda that has nothing to do with Mad-max.

And you know what - I wouldn't even mind if they wanted to make a feminist action movie staring Charlize Theron about whatever story they wanted to push, but don't use the name Mad Max as a vehicle and con men into watching it with big explosions.

I'm not even going to go see this crap.

Tom Hardy has broken my heart haha

*prepares to dodge politically-correct tomatoes & pitchforks*

I suppose if you really wanted to make a statement, you could go see it in one of those "Iron my shirt, bi*ch" t-shirts. :p

But really. 'ew the fu*k is Eve Ensler? :huh:

Not trying to be a smartass; I'm not familiar with her or that work.

She wrote the Vagina monologues. It's a really popular play/book whatever.

Basically Max is going to be a Robin type secondary character and CT is going to be Batman and the main focus of the action.

It's all in the time article I linked. This is a quote from her:

It’s a sort of sneaky feminism. When you say the premise—a woman warrior escapes with female sex slaves—that doesn’t necessarily sound like a blockbuster. But because it’s an action film, guys will see it. Something similar is happening with another summer film: Amy Schumer, who’s a really outspoken feminist comedian, is coming out with the rom-com Trainwreck. LeBron James is in the movie, which I think might lure men who might not otherwise go. Is that subversive feminism the best way to address women’s issues in film?

Basically they hijacked the film to tell THEIR story which has nothing to do with Mad Max....

I don't think I have a problem with a movie where Charlize Theron is a sex slave traveling with other sex slaves in a post-apocalyptic future. It sounds like I wouldn't mind Mad Max playing second fiddle in that set-up.Girls on the run in a shtty future could be pretty compelling.

I don't have a problem with it either, but why make a Mad Max movie if he's not the hero? I'd maybe go check that movie out if it was it's own idea and separate. If the idea is good enough and executed well enough it shouldn't need to hide behind another popular franchise.

Maybe Miller is just out of ideas and needed somebody to pump the fire, as it were.

Maybe it's a feminist film behind a post-apocalyptic storyline and maybe there wasn't enough interaction with Max, but Mad Max: Fury Road is easily the best action film this year. It's everything we should have gotten 30 years ago instead of that watered-down snooze-fest called Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: tons of vehicular carnage and post-apocalyptic chaos. Tom Hardy does a very good job filling Mel Gibson's shoes as Max. Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult do steal the show with their performances, though. Despite not having much screen time, Immortan Joe may very well be a more menacing villain than Toecutter or The Humungus.

Overall, Fury Road is George Miller's way of saying he's sorry for Beyond Thunderdome and Happy Feet. Apology accepted.

Just saw it. Incredible movie. Basically one long "Road Warrior" shot. Nothing was wrong with the plot. It fits just fine in the post-apocalyptic world scenario. The MRAs who penned those articles are definitely idiots. It is more like Max and Furiosa are co-protagonists plus the fact that women show strength and don't really play second fiddle.

Also Max has always been ordered around (sometimes by a women) and never really had control of his situation in any of the movies. He typically is forced into his role.

Here is a good article about it the movie that explains it a bit.

I hope everyone gets a chance to see it.

Edited by karmajay

This Max is mad...truly, mad...in all the right ways imaginable.

Exhilarating barely manages to describe this whirlwind of a film. A pace is set at the beginning that almost never lets up and yet never tires the audience. One action set piece after another is thrown at us, but rather than each one trying to one-up the last, the action distinguishes itself in each unique sequence. Circumstances change constantly, forcing every action sequence into a new battlefront. And damn does it look gorgeous. Not a single dollar is wasted in this film and looks just saturated in fire, blood and dust. The production design is so rich and vibrant you literally feel the heat of turbo-charged exhaust blasting you as you watch it. This is world building at it's best, filled with seemlessly endless small details that immerse you in a world from which you cant and don't want to escape for the entire running time.

The vehicle action is on a whole new level. The CG effects are astounding, creating a world that feels perpetually ablaze. But more incredible are the practical effects and of course, the stunt work. Omg, the stunt work. Every flp, every punch, every fall, every clange of metal against bone feels like a blast from a tank-sized gun. There were so many moments where my jaw just dropped from the symphony of destruction unfolding before my eyes. This is that rare kind of film you want to watch again IMMEDIATELY after the credits roll. This film has instatly found a permanent place amoung my action film playlist.

Tom Hardy as Max once again shows audiences and critics alike why he has the perfect face for film; his Max is all at once vulnerable, damaged, terrified, haunted, desperate, ferocious, furious, daring...and he delivers it all in the few words Mad Max has been known for. In the hands of a lesser actor Max might barely register as a character, but Hardy always finds small moments that wend their way into our hearts. I'm trying to think of more praise I can say about Charlize Theron, but what can be said about this actor that hasn't already been said. Is there nothing this woman cannot do? As Furiosa in Fury Road, she pulls out yet another stellar performance in both drama and physicality. Nicholas Hoult also has a turn as soemthing rather unexpected.

I had heard much talk of the feminist themes mentioned in many an early review and so its a relief to write that those themes are satisfyingly explored in ways that only enhance the film. I never felt the original films were problematic for women, but they certainly didn't stand out as champions for any cause. So it was surprising to see such a strong showing of women in this film. But Fury Road's female leanings undermine none of the edge and only raise the stakes that much higher. It's all a welcome breath of fresh air to a genre too often known for poor portrayls of women.

5 out of 5 Fury Road is easily the best action film since "The Raid" and it's sequel. A violent, harrowing and firey journey into a world gone mad, with a pulsating rythmn that carries us - enraptured - all the way to a furious finale.

Saw it last night, it was a feast for my eyes and ears. Very little of the story or lines were memorable though, typical for an action film I guess. I do miss the Mel Gibson/Australian roots of the originals. Still, Tom Hardy was great though I think Karl Urban would of made a better Max.

Edited by TangledThorns

Ok, I'm curious if anyone else felt this way. For a good chunk of this film (atleast the first half) Charlize Theron's performance of Furiosa reminded me A LOT of Gibson's Max. Something about the look in her eye and her expression, how she dealt with what was going on around her. There was one shot in particular, a close up through the driver-side window, where it really struck me.

Ok, I'm curious if anyone else felt this way. For a good chunk of this film (atleast the first half) Charlize Theron's performance of Furiosa reminded me A LOT of Gibson's Max. Something about the look in her eye and her expression, how she dealt with what was going on around her. There was one shot in particular, a close up through the driver-side window, where it really struck me.

She definitely has the 1000 yard stare or whatever down, from Mel Gibson's original performances...

In a recent interview with Jeff Goldsmith, George Miller revealed he has a screenplay for the next Max film already written (titled Mad Max: The Wasteland), and a third story in novella form that is currently untitled.

Edit: Miller said in another interview that he considers Fury Road to be post-Thunderdome, but that he really can't keep it all straight in his head and that the movies where never meant to be seen as being set points in a chronology. Personally, it seems to be a better fit post-Max 2. I assume when he was trying to shoot this in 2003 with Gibson post-Thunderdome was a given.

Edited by Duke Togo

As predicted on the box office, the general public went to watch some fat Aussie chick instead of this film.

Friday Box Office Estimates

But who cares, really? It's rated R versus PG13. Also, the list of lesser films that beat out greater ones at the box office is long and undistinguished.

Saw it thought it was great.

As for the MRA stuff, I think they just look at Max and realize they can never be as much of a man as him and weep. The fact that they can say the say the same thing about Furiosa probably does not help matters.