I think it's also strongly implied that the V8 interceptor he has is not the same one from TRW. Infact, it had a lot of differences in this movie than it did in TRW, including a front end lol. But despite the opening trailer we saw the v8 did git a lot more screen time than I thought it would.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe. Some of the reviews have been really brutal. Gameplay videos look good, but not really "inspired". Looks like it could be a competent game, but I think it's a shame the game doesn't appear even half as exciting as the Fury Road movie. Going to wait for a bit to read and watch some more, but I'm leaning toward the disappointed side for right now.

I picked up the game didn't play much as I got s ton of stuff going on right now but I completed atleast to the part where I need to fashion a harpoon.

It's not bad.....it's a movie game that's kind of it's own stand alone prequel that STILL so far doesn't help understand the continuity of the franchise.

I got Mad Max and MGSV on the same day, I haven't even cracked Metal Gear open yet, Mad Max is just too much fun. I'm a little baffled by the reviews for it, it seems a lot of reviewers are bitching about little things that every other game seems to get away with, Polygon probably has the currently worst and most misleading review for the game, the guy they got to review that sounds like an idiot. Yes, Max can carry an unlimited amount of car scraps in his pocket, big deal, that actually garnered a lower score? How come in GTAV I can carry a small militia's worth of firearms and explosives and nobody bats an eye? I think most people's issues with the Mad Max game is that it's not called Metal Gear. Like I said, I'm having fun with it, and I have zero intention of getting into Metal Gear until I'm done with Mad Max, I highly recommend it if you're a fan of the franchise, or a fan of fairly massive open world games with lots to do, upgrade, and customize.

I got Mad Max and MGSV on the same day, I haven't even cracked Metal Gear open yet, Mad Max is just too much fun. I'm a little baffled by the reviews for it, it seems a lot of reviewers are bitching about little things that every other game seems to get away with, Polygon probably has the currently worst and most misleading review for the game, the guy they got to review that sounds like an idiot. Yes, Max can carry an unlimited amount of car scraps in his pocket, big deal, that actually garnered a lower score? How come in GTAV I can carry a small militia's worth of firearms and explosives and nobody bats an eye? I think most people's issues with the Mad Max game is that it's not called Metal Gear. Like I said, I'm having fun with it, and I have zero intention of getting into Metal Gear until I'm done with Mad Max, I highly recommend it if you're a fan of the franchise, or a fan of fairly massive open world games with lots to do, upgrade, and customize.

Got to agree. Day before MGSV came out, reviews for Mad Max averaged about a 7.5 to an 8. GS gave it a 6 which is basically a C+, but I don't trust GS worth spit. IGN gave it a 8.4, that's rather good. Metacritic is 3.5/5 that's not horrible either.

So after playing it for a while I just don't understand the problems.

I never saw this in the cinema but I bought the DVD cheap so I'll probably watch it over the weekend with my son. Some people I have spoken to say it wasn't too bad but im still not going to expect too much.

I love the first two original films but the third was utterly terrible.. And that XB Falcon coupe was EPIC!

I never saw this in the cinema but I bought the DVD cheap so I'll probably watch it over the weekend with my son. Some people I have spoken to say it wasn't too bad but im still not going to expect too much.

I love the first two original films but the third was utterly terrible.. And that XB Falcon coupe was EPIC!

It's pretty easily the best film of the year so far (which is saying something considering how great Ex Machina is), and the best action film to come out in a decade. Maybe two. One of the great action films ever. It's just frakkin fantastic.

It's pretty easily the best film of the year so far (which is saying something considering how great Ex Machina is), and the best action film to come out in a decade. Maybe two. One of the great action films ever. It's just frakkin fantastic.

That's encouraging to hear! Definitely want to give this movie a chance! I'll admit some of the previews did look kinda alright..

Thanks for that!

Tking22

There’s been plenty said about the game from multiple sources including Giant Bomb and even Gamespot (believe it or not). And when a shill site actually lambasts a game, I get worried. Yes, the Polygon review is the worst, but it's not fair to be that reductive of everything that was said despite the fact the reviewer clearly disliked it so much he began picking apart the little things (which we all do when we REALLY don't like something). The common criticisms from other sites hold Mad Max as very much a template video game, copied from Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham Knight. It’s also said it lacks enough original in its design to distinguish it. They say the Mad Max-elements of it are not enough to fill in a now very familiar video game. Mechanics are decent, just nothing special or memorable.

I’m going to wait for more reviews and try some gameplay over at a friend’s place before deciding. But so far the impression is mediocre.

Edited by Mr March

Tking22

There’s been plenty said about the game from multiple sources including Giant Bomb and even Gamespot (believe it or not). And when a shill site actually lambasts a game, I get worried. Yes, the Polygon review is the worst, but it's not fair to be that reductive of everything that was said despite the fact the reviewer clearly disliked it so much he began picking apart the little things (which we all do when we REALLY don't like something). The common criticisms from other sites hold Mad Max as very much a template video game, copied from Shadows of Mordor and Batman Arkham Knight. It’s also said it lacks enough original in its design to distinguish it. They say the Mad Max-elements of it are not enough to fill in a now very familiar video game. Mechanics are decent, just nothing special or memorable.

I’m going to wait for more reviews and try some gameplay over at a friend’s place before deciding. But so far the impression is mediocre.

The problem is the user reviews are fairly high across the board, the PC port is apparently quite excellent too, it's getting a lot of love on Steam. I don't take any of these "professional" reviewers seriously with this game in particular, it happens every once in a while, it happened with Alien Isolation last I remember. The games just isn't big enough, and I stand by my point, it's not called Metal Gear. Hell I'd argue a lot of these negative reviews, from smaller nobodies heard of you sites to the big ones, are just going with the crowd and not giving this game the review it deserves, nearly every one of them I've read complains about what the game isn't and what it doesn't do compared to what it is and does accomplish. The Mad Max elements are all there, this is a Mad Max game through and through, I don't know what more anyone would want or expect, it is literally this year's Shadow of Mordor, and that's a good thing. I just personally can't take most "professional" reviews seriously these days when it comes to these smaller games, especially when I know these sames sites will give annual garbage like Black Ops III, which is just more Call of Duty but with even more Titanfalli in it now, an 8.5-9.5/10. In general, what I'm saying is like other smaller titles, I'd go by user reviews on this one, the game is competent, violent, beautiful, and most importantly, very fun.

I'm sorry, I'm just not on this anti-critic bandwagon that is so popular these days. It was fine in the 1995-2005 era when the internet HAD to establish it's own legitimacy. But now every angry internet geek posts "review" videos or blogs simply to force consensus. Consensus champions mediocrity. There is no shortage of games out there for that. They're not for me. From what I'm seeing and reading so far, Mad Max is nowhere near what Shadows of Mordor is, that's why the reviews are criticising it. Mordor did distinguish itself, with it's core game mechanic and the Nemesis system. It deserved the praise it received.

To me, it sounds like Mad Max gives the consumer EXACTLY what they want...which some will say is all we can ask. What that really means is Mad Max does nothing you don't expect. Like Call of Duty. Or Battlefield. Or Terminator Genesis. Or Jurassic World. Mad Max Fury Road did almost nothing the way I expected it and gave me so much I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it! I'm sure Mad Max is a competent game if all I wanted was a compent video game. Even the negative reviews acknowledge that it is not terrible, just not enough. I need more. I expect more. I DEMAND more for the money these games cost. And thankfully if Mad Max won't offer more, there's other games out there that are more fun.

I'm hoping as more is revealed about the game in more reviews I trust and as I play more of of the actual game itself, it'll be revealed as better than what's been said so far. But all the right folks are advising caution and an 8.5 IGN review is equivalent to 1 out of 5 in my book. So I'm being cautious.

Edited by Mr March

I'm sorry, I'm just not on this anti-critic bandwagon that is so popular these days. It was fine in the 1995-2005 era when the internet HAD to establish it's own legitimacy. But now every angry internet geek posts "review" videos or blogs simply to force consensus. Consensus champions mediocrity. There is no shortage of games out there for that. They're not for me. From what I'm seeing and reading so far, Mad Max is nowhere near what Shadows of Mordor is, that's why the reviews are criticising it. Mordor did distinguish itself, with it's core game mechanic and the Nemesis system. It deserved the praise it received.

To me, it sounds like Mad Max gives the consumer EXACTLY what they want...which some will say is all we can ask. What that really means is Mad Max does nothing you don't expect. Like Call of Duty. Or Battlefield. Or Terminator Genesis. Or Jurassic World. Mad Max Fury Road did almost nothing the way I expected it and gave me so much I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it! I'm sure Mad Max is a competent game if all I wanted was a compent video game. Even the negative reviews acknowledge that it is not terrible, just not enough. I need more. I expect more. I DEMAND more for the money these games cost. And thankfully if Mad Max won't offer more, there's other games out there that are more fun.

I'm hoping as more is revealed about the game in more reviews I trust and as I play more of of the actual game itself, it'll be revealed as better than what's been said so far. But all the right folks are advising caution and an 8.5 IGN review is equivalent to 1 out of 5 in my book. So I'm being cautious.

Meh, I'm not trying to push any kind of ant-critic anything, most critics and professional reviewers are fairly on point with their thoughts and criticisms on most games, what's irking me is why Mad Max in particular is getting outed as a bad game when we get annual releases and other over-hyped garbage that nearly by default always get high 8s and 9s for reviews. That's my main problem, no Mad Max didn't re-invent the wheel, neither has 90% of the other releases in the past several years, and yet they're free from low review scores, and now we finally get a badass Mad Max game, and it's getting slammed, we now may never get another, I don't think that's fair, at all. I can safely tell you, if you're just going to keep checking professional reviews for the game, don't, don't waste your time, they won't tell you anything you haven't already heard. A decent number Mad Max's mechanics are obviously borrowed from the Arkham series, like Shadow of Mordor, and yet Mad Max is better than Mordor in my opinion. Mordor became too easy barely half way through the game, and the Nemesis system didn't even get to shine until over half way through the main campaign, then it was just a neat Nemsis system, with Batman combat in a Lord of the Rings setting, and yet, once again, nobody seemed to want to flame it for that. Witcher 3, which I absolutely loved, didn't re-invent the wheel, it was a solid open world game with some great stroylines, but the gameplay devolved into go hear, Wticher sense, fight something, return to quest giver. And yet, Witcher 3 may be GOTY. I really don't care what you or other people buy, but this random bias towards Mad Max is unsettling to me, where is this invisible line that separates apparent mediocrity from major AAA hyped to all hell series that seem to get a pass? And yet here we are, another year, another COD, Battlefield, Assassins' Creed, what will those games score? Will we actually see anyone give lower scores to these games for being more of the same? Doubtful, really, really doubtful. I can admit some bias on this subject, I've been a huge fan of the Mad Max franchise since I was a child, and here we are with a shiny new open world Mad Max game, which is fun as all hell, well made, and engaging, and yet it's being, in my opinion still, unfairly blasted in reviews. It's a shame, few other games attempt at car combat, Mad Max nails it, and yet that isn't included into a interesting or distinguishing feature, did Mordor have cars? Batman finally did, and look at how mixed that reception was. I'm not saying look to just reviews by nobody neck-beard hipsters who are trying to push Mad Max instead of, say, Metal Gear, just to be the cool guy, I'm just trying to say that I feel the game is far better and more engaging then most critics are letting on. I still cant help but feel too many of them are in the mind set or,"meh, it's not Metal Gear." It's not, and I'll admit it's not as polished, but it's still a damn fine game. And I've got to ask, what's worse, random nobodies apparently pushing mediocrity, or major critics? It seems professionals push mediocrity when it suits them, or when it's expected, as opposed to when they should. I just don't feel the game is mediocre, I've played far worse titles in the last year or two that I felt were far more deserving of the scores and criticisms Max is receiving. If you're interested in it at all, I'd recommend redboxing it and try it out, you've got nothing to lose but the small cost a rental, and you may be surprised by what you play, that aside, if you're looking to get it for PC several sites still have codes for it for as low as $20, that aint bad at all.

Fair enough. I trust a lot of the blogs and site I go to because I frequent them and know well their likes and dislikes. They have similar tastes and they are typically honest with themselves. Sometimes they can be overly critical, but I'd rather err on that side of the equation than give IGN the time of day.

I think timing is everything when it comes to most popular entertainment. One reason why Mad Max may be suffering more unjustified criticism beyond other contemporaries could simply be timing. if it had been released a year ago, it might not have seemed as tired and familiar to the up-to-date game reviewers as it does today. One thing folks like you and I have to always take into consideration is our lack of exposure compared to most game reviewers, who play something different virtually every week. This is the same problem i have explaining my tastes in film to the average person. It's not being a "hipster" to claim you were familiar with a trend before it got absorbed into a mainstream Michael Bay film; you simply are a vicitim of exposure, forcibly more familiar with the lastest and most exciting trends because you watch way more movies than the average person. A occupational hazard, if you will :)

I think the game is worth giving a shot, but I admit I'm a little worried and saddened by the response so far. i'll find out this weekend for sure when i hang out with my buddy; we're supposed to play some. I hope it's better than the word of mouth to this point.

One reason why Mad Max may be suffering more unjustified criticism beyond other contemporaries could simply be timing.

I'm also feeling a lot of this, Mad Max released on literally the same exact day as one of the most sought after, long awaited, detailed, and expensive open world games in history. it's really crappy timing, had it released a few months back when we were in a bit of a gaming dry wave, I think people would be singing a slightly different tune. The open world game fatigue it very real at this point, it just sucks that poor Max seems to have dropped at the most inopportune time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Partially OT, but sad news. Olivia Jackson, who was Charlize Theron and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's stunt double in this film, was critically injured during filming of Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. While serving as Milla Jovovich's stunt double, Jackson's motorcycle collided with a camera crane. She spent two weeks in a coma and sustained head trauma, facial degloving (look that up at your own risk), a paralyzed arm, an amputated thumb, torn fingers, and five severed nerves on her spinal cord, among her numerous injuries.

Jackson had recently finished work on Star Wars: The Force Awakens as the stunt double for Daisy Ridley. She also doubled for Karen Gillan as Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Update: Jackson had her paralyzed left arm amputated.

Mad Max, Star Wars Stuntwoman Olivia Jackson Fighting for Life

Resident Evil Stuntwoman Out of Coma: Details Horrific Injuries

Star Wars Stunt Double Reveals She Will Lose an Arm After Horrific Accident on Resident Evil Set

Edited by areaseven

• 1 month later...

Here's a surprise: Mad Max: Fury Road has 10 Academy Award nominations:

• Best Picture
  • Best Director - George Miller
  • Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Makeup and Hairstyling
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Visual Effects

Too bad it'll lose most of them to The Revenant.

so I finally sat down and watched this on cable. I don't get what all the fuss was about. Some of the action scenes looked cool, but others were really cheesy and dumb and the whole thing made zero sense and got pretty boring after a while.

• 1 month later...

The film won the following Oscars at the 88th Academy Awards:

• Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Film Editing

So it didn't win Best Picture. Surprisingly, neither did The Revenant.

I was shocked it even got nominated for one.

The film won the following Oscars at the 88th Academy Awards:

• Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Film Editing
So it didn't win Best Picture. Surprisingly, neither did The Revenant.

It didn't win Best Picture because WB didn't support it early on. Probably the same reason why Miller lost out on Best Director.

Interesting fact: Fury Road tied for the most Oscar wins without snagging Best Director or Picture. What film did it tie? Star Wars.