The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

Good news, the diecast bar is being redesigned.

If you have a broken one, contact the shop you bought it from, so they can contact Yamato to arrange for a replacement bar.

Graham

409932[/snapback]

Hmm, wonder if someone can purchase a bunch of these as spare parts, so owners don't need to worry as much about future breakage. As I doubted Yamato is still going to have spare redesigned bars in a year or two after release.

But thats great news anyhow.

Good news, the diecast bar is being redesigned.

If you have a broken one, contact the shop you bought it from, so they can contact Yamato to arrange for a replacement bar.

Graham

409932[/snapback]

Looks like I'll hold off buying one right away.

Just got mine from Tam today... great packaging as usual.

Everything came in the box, nothing broken and I even managed to transform him into bot mode:

P1000416.jpg

not sure if I'll transform him back though.. that was scary business there!

BTW, the figure is worthless... cheap soft vinyl and the arms are just poor designed.

Otherwise, I really dig him. Really decent posability and everything fits just right.

409884[/snapback]

Cool pic! I'm not gonna buy one, so I am admiring everyone else's Garland from afar!!

:)

Lastnight I guess in my sleep I knocked my garland off my desk. Course the right arm went FLYING off, found it 4 feet away by my TV center, but the left arm was still in perfect shape and the Garland in general was just fine.

Lastnight I guess in my sleep I knocked my garland off my desk.  Course the right arm went FLYING off, found it 4 feet away by my TV center, but the left arm was still in perfect shape and the Garland in general was just fine.

410016[/snapback]

thats awfull. I think i may ask for the replacement bar now. so that i have it on hand when or if mine ever breaks. Of course i havent actually gotten mine yet.

Well since it was in a parking grage with not alot of light it's hard to tell if it was brown, yellow or a rustic orange.

As for the replacement bar, i was excited at first but now I'm having my second thoughts....was just mentioning it to someone and they think it might be offered to those Japanese stores.....since they don't ship their replacement parts over seas.

meh, U.S. stores dont carry that stuff, you still have to go to places that import it. I've never seen the Scopedog in ToysR'Us or Kaybees. THat's why I dont think the license debate dont really mean crap. Even with Toynami stuff you have to go to video game or comic book stores.

I've transformed my garland a few times now and I haven't had a problem with my swing arms.. I'm wondering if maybe there was a batch where the metal was cast improperly leaving it weakend or stressed?

410286[/snapback]

I'm hoping you are correct -- getting mine on Friday, but I doubt Yamato would spend the time and resources to redesign the swing arm if they didn't screw up the engineering of the original part in the first place. However, a badly cast early batch would definitely exacerbate failures of an inadequately conceived design.

Got mine today, no problems thankfully.

Definitely use the Yamato guide when transforming the arms, that is the only tricky part of the transformation.  Other than that, it rocks!

410336[/snapback]

So what is the consensus on the bars? Inherent design flaw or a random molding flaw?

Just got my Garland today. I love it! I'm VERY impressed with this thing and Yamato really thought out the transformation. Using magnets is ingenious!

The only problem I had is during transformation one of the "clips" that hold the front cowling to the head/gastank area popped off and I can't find it. I'm sure it'll turn up. Fortunately, it's only important during transformation and in manuver craft mode. I really like how parts of it can intentionally come off to ease transformation and limit breakage, like on the VF-0S. Hasbro has been using this for a long time, it's great Yamato is getting a clue.

I'm super impressed with Yamato's latest offerings. The VF-0S was masterful and the new Garland is amazing. Let's hope they make more Garlands!

Vostok 7

The thing is, I don't think it's a matter of force being the reason for breakage of the diecast peg at the end of the swing bar.

That area doesn't need force to transform at all. I certainly didn't use force on mine. In fact I was very careful.

I still suspect that it's just some toys that have flaws in the casting, resulting in soft as butter, break-prone pegs, while the majority will hopefully be correctly cast and fine (touch wood). I guess only time will tell, as the toy is still rather new and not that many people outside of Japan and HK have them yet.

Graham

Ah well, I will just be careful in transforming it. For a minute it sounded like pegs were going to snap off or something if you didn't look at instructions carefully and slowly. (ie people showing stress marks on the pegs for vb6 for eg)

I'm usually that way anyway, even for things like alternators and stuff which are cheap. :D

Sounds like it's a statistically small number of defective bars, like Graham said, and NOT an issue of using excessive force. Time will tell.

For myself, I don't like reading the instructions on transforming a toy. I think of a transforming toy as a puzzle, and part of the fun is figuring out how to do it. For that reason, I like transforming toys where you can 'tell' if you're doing it right, and I abhor transforming toys that break if you do one step slightly wrong. Garland is a pretty good toy by these standards.

But speaking of this, wouldn't it be easier for Yamato to just slightly redesign the dumb backpack flap on the vf-0s to allow it to fold, rather than insulting their customers as Graham's sig suggests? ;) That's a classic case of something that *seems* like you should be able to do (fold it up), but if you do it, it breaks. IMO, that's poor design. Actions that will break a toy should be 'obviously wrong'.

okay, now exactly what part is so breakable on the bar? I just need to confirm so I can have my seller check it out. Does this break occur at just the lightest strain so it happens say 1st or 2nd time transforming?

there is a tiny peg on the bar which is connected to the shoulder area....it snaps if you apply just a tiny bit of pressure while you could be rotating the shoulder around for robot mode or back to bike mode.

just got mine from twin moons, gotta say, i was surprised, i was expecting another Humongous box from Yamato, this one seems just right

dsc024941sl.jpg

dsc024933ux.jpg

410578[/snapback]

looking at pictures of it next to the Scopdog, I really do wish they just made it in 1/12 scale. That probably would have allowed for a better rider figure. but he's about the same size as a microman? I may have to try and customize a microman to look like a lil shogo.