Superman Returns

Mr March

A friend of mine made a great point, how does Clark Kent AND Superman disappear for the exact five years and not have anyone notice... not even the investigative reporters he works with.  One of them maybe the mother to his child.  Should I go on?

Well, this is the same city that doesn't realize that the distinction between Kent and Superman is merely a pair of glasses! Metropolis is apparently not renowned for its collective IQ.

A friend of mine made a great point, how does Clark Kent AND Superman disappear for the exact five years and not have anyone notice... not even the investigative reporters he works with.  One of them maybe the mother to his child.  Should I go on?

Well, this is the same city that doesn't realize that the distinction between Kent and Superman is merely a pair of glasses! Metropolis is apparently not renowned for its collective IQ.

409536[/snapback]

Actually, it's not just the glasses. It's the posture, the way the hair is parted, and the personality that keeps the city in the dark. Mind you, a psychologist would be convinced that Clark Kent has multiple personality disorder...

i am keeping an open mind about this whole adventure and think Spacey may be the only reason to see this. That being said Hackmans over the top performance worked for me, I think it can still hold up although everything else seems to be lacking. Again its just wait and see.

409185[/snapback]

In the visual guide it mentions Clark said he went 'soul searching' but had his mom send postcards of his 'travels' to the Daily Planet.

A bit weak, but what can ya do? It's not the lamest excuse for a Clark/Superman switch.

I remember collecting the Return of the Supermen storyline after the Death of Superman and being really excited at the time. Years later, I can't get excited about anything Superman-related. I'm actually turned off by most superheroes nowadays cuz they tend to look too over-the-top. I honestly couldn't picture a guy flying around with his underwear outside his pants in bright red and blue colors. Superman's suit just seems so outdated, but I guess they have to stick with it cuz it's what fans and most people want to see.

I'm glad to see that this movie is not attracting the usual fanish overreaction, polarized opinions and minutia nitpicketry that one would expect from a big budget genre film. I was worried we'd see a repeat of last year's Vader Hands debacle.

:rolleyes:

409536[/snapback]

you know. i have a friend that looks like Randy Quaid. I've never wseen them together, but I know he isnt Randy Quaid. But if he and RQ disappears for the exact same five years, then I'd think something was up... or they are gay and eloped.

a1quaid7va.jpg

you know. i have a friend that looks like Randy Quaid.  I've never wseen them together, but I know he isnt Randy Quaid.  But if he and RQ disappears for the exact same five years, then I'd think something was up... or they are gay and eloped.

a1quaid7va.jpg

409871[/snapback]

Oh man....you'd better start locking your doors at night. Agent ONE will be lurking moistly in the bushes outside your house, waiting for the chance to assrape you. :lol:

Saw it tonight(early showing).

Super.

Grinning throughout the movie. This is what X3 should have been like.

This is not your typical ADD summer blockbuster movie. Plenty of action all around but nothing like a boring super slugfest that X-men 3 was. Don't expect a dark gritty re-invention of the character like Batman Begins. Superman is a continuation from Superman 2, tossing out the horrible movies that Supe 3 & 4 were. He is about saving people, being the ultimate boy scout fighting for truth, justice and all that. This was the reintroduction of the Man of Steel to the world.

Routh does a good Clark Kent and Supes and he really looks like he's a clone of Reeves in some scenes. Gotta work on the toothy Reeves smile though. Kate Bosworth gives a good performance. She outdoes her previous acting endeavor by a landslide(huh? What Blue Crush?). Spacey was great. He does a great continuation of Hackman's Luthor and since this comes after Donners films, AWESOME. All the whiny complaints about the cape, the suit, the CG, y'know what, after the first 1/2hr you don't even notice those things.

And my god, I love that boat!

Gonna go watch the iMax version on Sunday.

Saw it tonight(early showing).   

Super.  

Grinning throughout the movie.  This is what X3 should have been like.

Routh does a good Clark Kent and Supes and he really looks like he's a clone of Reeves in some scenes.  Gotta work on the toothy Reeves smile though.  Kate Bosworth gives a good performance.  She outdoes her previous acting endeavor by a landslide(huh?  What Blue Crush?).  Spacey was great.  He does a great continuation of Hackman's Luthor and since this comes after Donners films, AWESOME.    All the whiny complaints about the cape, the suit, the CG, y'know what, after the first 1/2hr you don't even notice those things.

And my god, I love that boat!

Gonna go watch the iMax version on Sunday.

411989[/snapback]

Funny. I watched an early show tonight as well, and planning to watch the IMAX version this Sunday too!!! LOL :D

Great movie! And a great come back for Superman on the silver screen. Go watch it.

Edited by mpchi

Tokyo Drift was a better movie than Superman.

Superman "returns" from a brief hiatus, but the only consequence of his departure was that Lois Lane had to raise a bastard child by herself. We never see how the Earth had to endure his absence and what that absence meant, leading one to think that Lois Lane's pulitzer statement about not needing Superman is true. Actually, what we didn't need was this movie.

A movie should be compelling and move you to care about the character(s) and their given conflicts. As such, the story for the Superman movie, to say nothing of special effects that reminded me of 60's Godzilla movies, was so lackluster and uninspiring that it was really a story about.......nothing at all, or at least nothing worth mentioning to anyone...

Edited by myk

not that good?

well, court got cancelled today, moron took a plea, got my OT anyways, so now,

i'm on my way now to go watch it at 1pm, for $3, i'd watch anything :)

moron already ruined my day off, since i'm already paying for a babysitter, might as well go do something before i have to pick up the lil' one.

the movie theather is on the way to the babysitter's.

hmmm....so is circuit city, bestbuy, compusa....need to buy my wife a notebook for her birthday....

Funny. I watched an early show tonight as well, and planning to watch the IMAX version this Sunday too!!! LOL :D

Great movie! And a great come back for Superman on the silver screen. Go watch it.

Yup. With so many movies lately focusing on the anti-hero being the hero, it's good to actually have a movie where the hero is the hero.

...and man James Marsden likes playing the whipping boy in these superhero movies. :p

Saw it last night... don't read if you care to see the movie fresh, unhampered by someone else's opinion.

It was good to see Supes back on the screen... Routh actually does a better Superman than Clark Kent, which surprised me, since I was expecting it to be the other way around. He has a presence that I wasn't expecting, and when I stopped comparing him with Reeves, he was actually a pretty believable Superman. His Clark Kent was a little dissapointing, mainly because he didn't get very many lines, and because the Lois-Kent relationship was written so that Lois hardly seems to even know Kent. She's always so distracted and aloof, and Bosworth's performance so serious that it's hard to enjoy what could have been a fun, awkward dynamic. The two don't share the familiar chemistry from the old movies this one is supposed to be taking its cues from, but then again, Clark's been gone five years.

The movie's pacing caused it to drag on a bit... it felt like it wasn't edited as tightly as it should have been, and the fact that there was about 1/2 a second of silence too long in every scene really took away the energy from a lot of the movie. And some of the cuts were jarring and didn't make sense dramatically to me. Didn't help that none of the actors carried any genuine enthusiasm or energy in their deliveries and even Spacey was a little bit dissapointing. Then again he wasn't given that much dialogue to work with in the first place.

And for those who care, there wasn't much squinting, and I stopped noticing the gripes I had with the costume a bit into the movie. They really weren't that big a deal, and watching Supes fly again to William's old soundtrack is still stirring. There are some breathtaking sequences that for me made the movie, even if I would have liked to see a lot of things done differently, but in the end, it was a decent ride, if slow and faltering in parts.

saw it this morning at 12:55am at the IMAX. Not too bad. The 3D thing was a nice little addition. I wish more of it was in 3D like maybe the whole movie. hehe. I think Routh does a good clark kent but not a good superman. He looks too young to be superman. But it is what it is. I hope that the next superman we'll see a super villain this time around. Like bizzaro or even doomsday! Just somebody other than lex. Or at least have them team up with lex. We'll see I guess.... :-D

I just saw it, I agree Routh's clark was kind of weak, though that may have been because the writers barely did anything with superman's alter ego. All in all I thought it was a well made movie, however, I didn't leave feeling I had just watched the greatest superhero movie ever made, which I wasn't expecting.

Minor Spoilers...

Oddly, I was sort of hoping superman would fail to save someone during the scene when metropolis was being ravaged by the massive fault line created by lex's crystal land project. Not because I wanted him to go through an angsty whiny, oooh if only I had been there routine, but mostly I really wanted him to have something to be really really angry at Lex about.

That said I thought Spacey was really good as Lex. Some reviews complained that Spacey seemed bored, but honestly, that IMO part of Lex's characterization, that a man as smart as him would obviously be bored when surrounded by people of normal intelligence and get anxious, and finally think up some scheme, not even because of the money, or power, but because it simply amused him to do so.

Edited by GobotFool

Kevin Spacey did a great job as Lex.  Over all the movie is pretty good.  I'm diffently smelling a sequel.

412196[/snapback]

I don't see how it couldn't get a sequel given how it's gonna be out for nearly 4 full days before the weekend comes around.