Superman Returns

Mr March

Well, I'm finally back after 2 1/2 weeks without the internet (Telus can go do you know what with themselves) and thought I'd post a topic. I was dragged to the 4th Harry Potter movie and yet again looked forward to another wasted evening, but found at least something to enjoy out of the whole affair: a teaser for Superman Returns.

I've been quite the skeptic of the new Superman film for some time. Granted, I've loved every Bryan Singer film I've seen to date, but I wasn't sure if the timing was right, the casting was sound, or story was tight. I do like the look of the film based on the teaser and what I've seen of the actor and suit gives me some hope.

Now I don't want to work myself up over a trailer (something trailers are specifically designed to do), but I must admit I'm feeling a little better about the chances of success for this film.

Any opinions? Screams? Cries of - dare I say it - rape? :)

Superman Returns Teaser

Edited by Mr March

I've never even been a big Superman fan. It's always been Batman for me. But, Smallville sorta turned me around. And, well, this trailer hits the perfect note. I've watched it several times just because it's so well done. . . the music, the visuals. . . and what it leaves unsaid/shown. Just perfect.

What's cool is how they're apparently dealing with the question: How do you prep for this movie? Do you watch Superman II or go with Smallville's interpretation of the same overall story (Superman vs General Zod). My understanding is that references back to prior events will be left vague enough that the casual fan will be able to go with either telling. Could be wrong though.

H

Looks great.

How can you tell?

Now, I'm as psyched for the movie as the next comic book geek, but let's be hoenst with ourselves, that trailer revealed nothing. Fleeting glimpses of the Kent farm, the Daily Planet, a teenage Clark falling in the barn, all set to some cryptic comments from Jor-El?

Here's hoping that the next trailer actually shows something.

I was dragged to the 4th Harry Potter movie and yet again looked forward to another wasted evening

The new Harry Potter movie kicked ass and you know it.

*snip*

The new Harry Potter movie kicked ass and you know it.

346059[/snapback]

At the risk of going off topic onto a series of films I dislike, I will say this: the fourth installment is easily the most well made of the Potter films. Take that for whatever it's worth.

From the looks of the synposis, it's going to tell the origin story first, then go a couple years after Superman left Earth, to when he returns, only to find Louis Lane married with a daughter, and Lexx Luthor planning some revenge, all while trying to make amens with his absence. Sounds good.

Looks great.

How can you tell?

Well, you can't always tell that it will be great. But you can sometimes tell when they're gonna get it wrong. Like, the trailer for Batman and Robin. ;)

Seriously though, I think this trailer gives a pretty good indication that they are going to get the tone right.

Or, to put it another way, it looks great because it doesn't look terrible. :)

Seen the teaser Friday and was impressed by the camera work. The trailer sold me the ticket with the last panned scene. ROCK!

I am however NOT happy with supes flying off in a spaceship, but it does lend some food for thought when married with Brando's voice-over. Maybe they are trying to re-build the idealistic iconic nature of supes.

I understand that this movie takes places after Superman 2, he had left earth and this movie is about him coming back after a few years, hence the superman returns title.

As for Marlon Brando, I think at first they wanted to cast Anthony Hopkins for the role, but they decided to just use some unused footage from the originals and keep marlon Brando.

I saw the trailer during Smallville and when I saw Harry Potter this evening.

Besides Marlon Brando, the ship that Clark sees in the barn is the same one that brought him to earth as a boy so they are definitely tying this in with the Christopher Reeves movies... hopefully the last two are being completely forgoton and struck from memory! :p

I kind of wish though that they would have given this a complete fresh start like what was done with Batman Begins or tie this in with Smallville.

hopefully the last two are being completely forgoton and struck from memory! :p

. . . or tie this in with Smallville.

346110[/snapback]

They are wiping the last two movies from the continuity. Richard Pryor no longer exists in the Superman universe. ;)

As for Smallville, I remember reading somewhere somewhat official that they are going to be sufficiently vague about what has come before so that people can choose between using Superman I/II or Smallville as the background.

H

I think that smallville thing is false but the rest is true, it's pretty much in the continuity of the first 2 Superman movie.  I'm glad they kept the score.

346125[/snapback]

I'm in no way saying that you're wrong. . . just wanted to find the primary document so people can judge for themselves. I found this at "bluetights.net" but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere else originaly. Supposedly, this is a direct quote from Bryan Singer:

"It is a return story. It puts the first films in a kind of vague history. So what it doesn't do is tread over the 1978 Richard Donner film, it doesn't tread over "Smallville." It elaborates on the existence of Superman in the world in a history. He's out of the culture and then he returns."

Again, can't fouch for the veracity of it. . . but if it's true, I'm onboard as I think it's the smart way to do it.

H

Supposedly, this is a direct quote from Bryan Singer:

"It is a return story. It puts the first films in a kind of vague history. So what it doesn't do is tread over the 1978 Richard Donner film, it doesn't tread over "Smallville." It elaborates on the existence of Superman in the world in a history. He's out of the culture and then he returns."

346152[/snapback]

Didn’t know anything about the story (the crap that we get today has made me loose interest in Hollywood). At first I thought that this was the Superman version of Batman Begins, which placed the film on a respected corner of my head (I though this wouldn’t be just another boring origin movie).

Reading this thread and finding out the story made me go “Danger, danger!!â€. But if this are really Bryan Singer’s words then this might turnout good. At least it sounds more interesting than a “Well, we retell Supes origin for the billionth time and then have him fight a really bad bad-guyâ€.

Here is what I like

a.) Not writing out the Richard Donner Superman 1+2 movies.

b.) Keeping with the same tone of said earlier movies(music samples and the Brando bits)

Here is what I dont like

a.) The costume. The emblem is a bit much and damn is he wearing some lowrider tighty reds or is that just me.

Overall I am anticipating this film.

But his hands look fine to me...

Seriously, I am also excited about this movie. I think keeping it retro enough for the fans of the first two movies is key. I only hope the brief glimpses of his past are just that, brief. From what I read on the site it looks like his self imposed exile was in the deep sea and that he ends up in space at some point in the movie. The pic that shows him in what looks to be a blackened FoS could demonstrate how ruined it was after he nearly wrecked it to become mortal and the battle with Zod and his Acolytes.

Richard Pryor was in Superman? Next thing your gonna tell me is that he fought against some Nuclear Man or something in another lame sequal <_< You all have some sick twisted imaginations.

I've really nothing much to say. This teaser certainly gives me more hope for the franchise than I've had in ages, but that's not saying much after listening to Kevin Smith talk about his involvement in drama preceding this current production.

I like that they're keeping the classic theme, and the new lead does have a sort of 'Reeves' vibe to him, though he does look younger I think. Hard to make a call on such a short teaser.

While having just watched the first movie after a long absence and watching the new teaser, I'm on the fence about using so much from the first/second movies in the new one. I like the fact that Williams' march is going to be used (I got shivers when I heard the Krypton theme used), but at the same time I want Ottman to score in his style, not Williams'. Same with Routh, I don't want a Reeve-impersonation, I want him to be his own man so-to-speak. So I want the spirit of the originals, but I want a new take on it....too tall an order?