Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

Yeah I really hope they put that echo in the zentradi ships. I liked that.

What was the explanation for it anyway? Hearing yourself talking after each word must be pretty annoying, alien or not I would think. That sometimes happens when you talk to people in a long distance phonecall.

I'd always assumed it was a way to emphasize the alien-ness.

The "echo" reminded you that they weren't REALLY speaking english or japanese, but some strange other-worldly tongue never heard by human ears.

I think Britai needs a really deep voice (like james earl jones or something) and so does the bald guy in command for me to accept them though. Robotech has made me bias. :D

Makes sense to me. Larger vocal cords can't move as fast, so you'll get lower-frequency voices, so bigger body = deeper voice. And Britai is large for a zentradi.

Actually, I think ALL the zentradi should have deeper voices than equivalent humans(exempting miclones).

Of course, Bodol's voice would only register on the subwoofer... which would be pretty cool, actually.

Keith, Hikuro, while you both make excellent points, let's not cause this thread to degenerate into yet another meaningless sub/dub debate. Different people have different preferencs, simple as that. I enjoy subs, and have no problem with those that don't. It's their loss(talking about those who won't watch them even when they're the only option). I just wish dubbing would try harder to convey the original more faithfully. They shouldn't come off as entirely different shows, but I digress.

Let's just focus on this and past Macross dubs.

Hikuro

What I'd really like to do is get my cast together and do a full comparison, for each scene that's done by ADV, I'll do with my cast, see which ppl would find more toleratable.

FIRST, I LIKE DUB, AND DON'T MIND SUB EITHER..WOULD AVOID IT IF I CAN.

HIKURO, SAW YOUR FANWORK...NICE, ... THING THAT BUGGED ME WAS THE MOUTH MATCHING THE SILLABLES.. ALMOST LIKE WATCHING OLD KUNG FU MOVIES, IF YOU TIGHTEN THAT UP A BIT, MAN, I SAY YOUR CLIP WILL ROCK.

TO ADD ABOUT THE VOICES, I GUES SI AM SO USED TO THE ROBOTECH VOICE ACTORS, IT'S HARD FOR ME TO JUST SWITCH TO ADV'S VERSION.

-No one makes any real money off of dub voice work

-Missing stuff because of subtitles is pure & utter B.S.

-If you want to watch something in english, watch something that was made that way.

352901[/snapback]

everyones diferent, and Macross wasnt made in english so thiers not much choice is thier if you want dub and no, I dont like to read subtitles,

thats like saying "its in japanise, your not getting the whole effect untill you learn japanise anything less is just stupid and a waste of time and utter BS. Just stick to your english movies",,,,,,now, how intelegent does that sound :rolleyes:

I love chocolate icecream, I just hate that people are foolish enough to require english dubs.

352889[/snapback]

an-al-o-gy, think hard :)

352996[/snapback]

What he meant to say was that he only liked Ben & Jerry's Choco Choco Fudge, and anybody who doesn't should die a thousand screaming deaths.

I love chocolate icecream, I just hate that people are foolish enough to require english dubs.

352889[/snapback]

an-al-o-gy, think hard :)

352996[/snapback]

Keith has proven his stupidity many times over, but he is totally right on this one. RARELY is a dub good, and I feel often it is soul-less, meaning it isn't what the creator had in mind therefore it is a molestation of the original work of art.

*snip*

Keith has proven his stupidity many times over, but he is totally right on this one.  RARELY is a dub good, and I feel often it is soul-less, meaning it isn't what the creator had in mind therefore it is a molestation of the original work of art.

353014[/snapback]

At the risk of stating the obvious, you won't find me disagreeing. Out of all the anime I own, there are only two dubs I can watch. The rest is subtitled only. But that doesn't mean I can't demand better and vote with my dollars by not purchasing crap.

-Missing stuff because of subtitles is pure & utter B.S.

352901[/snapback]

Not BS with something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, where the characters are constantly yacking away about strategy and politics, sometimes during a battle you'd actually like to watch. I don't like missing even a single word, and having to guess at what they said. The problem is even worse with subs that aren't perfect gramatically and don't read as well as they should.

Hi,

This is my first post in here. I thought you guys would be interested in some homemade clips of what the dub will look like in action. This guy who sent them to me was pretty innovative.

Hey its Darkwater, the only person doing any promotion for the new RT :lol:

Edited by valk1j

Hikuro
What I'd really like to do is get my cast together and do a full comparison, for each scene that's done by ADV, I'll do with my cast, see which ppl would find more toleratable.

FIRST, I LIKE DUB, AND DON'T MIND SUB EITHER..WOULD AVOID IT IF I CAN.

HIKURO, SAW YOUR FANWORK...NICE, ... THING THAT BUGGED ME WAS THE MOUTH MATCHING THE SILLABLES.. ALMOST LIKE WATCHING OLD KUNG FU MOVIES, IF YOU TIGHTEN THAT UP A BIT, MAN, I SAY YOUR CLIP WILL ROCK.

TO ADD ABOUT THE VOICES, I GUES SI AM SO USED TO THE ROBOTECH VOICE ACTORS, IT'S HARD FOR ME TO JUST SWITCH TO ADV'S VERSION.

352960[/snapback]

MEMO1DOMINION dude, your caps lock is on!

I like both and enjoy both. I watch the subs for the original story as it was (even that can be dodgy depending on who translates a show) and I like dubs to enjoy the visual experience of the show.

Some are purists and that's fine, but I don't feel any compulsion to join the ranks of either camp.

It's unfortunate that you are stuck on the RT voices. I agree a few of them did a fine job, but the ADV actors on the project are very good and I expect them to do the show justice with the quality of their work.

So long as the script writer is discouraged from "trying" to make the dialoque more "contemporary" with modern slang the show will turn out fine.

Too often when those little "jewels" are dropped into the dialogue, it changes the mood of any given scene and that can be distracting.

Edited by Zinjo

Hi,

This is my first post in here.  I thought you guys would be interested in some homemade clips of what the dub will look like in action.  This guy who sent them to me was pretty innovative.

Preview The New Macross DVD (Kinda, Sorta)

Another (Kinda, Sorta) Macross DVD Preview

353099[/snapback]

I'm a bit shocked at the hostility in the comments of that first link. What the heck is wrong with some people... :blink:

I've tried to listen and watch these clips and the most aggravating voice has to be Hikaru's so far. Right now his octive range is is like nails on a chalk board for me. I know he's only 16 at the start of the show, but he sounds like he's 11 and his voice is cracking and he has cotton up his nostrils.

The rest of the cast I could live with in spite of some apparent overacting/bad direction (Global, Focker), but Hikkie's voice is just too much. Going to have to pass and stick with my animeigo set.

I'm a bit shocked at the hostility in the comments of that first link. What the heck is wrong with some people... :blink:

353141[/snapback]

Yeah, because Macross World is nothing but flowers, stuffed animals and hugs. ESPECIALLY towards Robotech...

:rolleyes:

353155[/snapback]

Oh, it is. It is.

Flowers that shoot missiles(like in Star Trek), teddy bears with explosives in them, and hugs just long enough to get a knife in the back.

353141[/snapback]

Yeah, because Macross World is nothing but flowers, stuffed animals and hugs. ESPECIALLY towards Robotech...

:rolleyes:

353155[/snapback]

Only a few finatics here, can't say that about the whole community.

Keith has proven his stupidity many times over, but he is totally right on this one.  RARELY is a dub good, and I feel often it is soul-less, meaning it isn't what the creator had in mind therefore it is a molestation of the original work of art.

353014[/snapback]

I think that marks a grand total of 2 things we've agreed on in the past 5 years....pehaps we should get some kind of prize!

Did I hear the VA for Hikaru say "sempai"? "Sempai"????

For the love of....Why are they mixing Engrish in there....and did I hear "Yu-chan"? Really, they don't need to mix in the Japanese.

...pehaps we should get some kind of prize!

Here, have a cookie.

I won't say Mari has a lisp, but her pronounciation on some words is kinda slurred. But I'll leave Mari alone since she learned English fairly later in life and some mis-pronounciation is expected.

For the love of....Why are they mixing Engrish in there...[snippy snip...:)] Really, they don't need to mix in the Japanese.

I'd rather he say "sempai" than try to translate an essentially untranslatable-in-one-word concept.

I won't say Mari has a lisp, but her pronounciation on some words is kinda slurred. But I'll leave Mari alone since she learned English fairly later in life and some mis-pronounciation is expected.

Actually, after listening to the dub snippets a few times, I think she holds her own pretty well in the English dub. She doesn't actually mispronounce or slur words so much as she does have an accent that influences how the words sound, and that comes from a childhood spent speaking a totally different language (just as der Governator's thick Oesterreichische accent makes words like "California" come out "Kahleefoania"). Naturally, words heavy in R and L sounds are the major problem there for Mari. But otherwise, she's exceedingly competent in the language (outside of a couple of slight sentence pacing issues, again due to Japanese being her native language).

For the love of....Why are they mixing Engrish in there...[snippy snip...:)] Really, they don't need to mix in the Japanese.

I'd rather he say "sempai" than try to translate an essentially untranslatable-in-one-word concept.

353266[/snapback]

I'd rather they not throw in Japanese words at all. Either call him "Roy" or leave it out.

353266[/snapback]

I'd rather they not throw in Japanese words at all. Either call him "Roy" or leave it out.

353281[/snapback]

Well if Mari's speaking a little "Engrish" I don't have a problem with that. C'mon, Tony Oliver is Hikaru!!!!

sadly no, Tony Oliver is Rick Hunter :p

In my production we did add Sempai in the beginning. But later I thought about it, and thought about it, and continued too do so till I went, "WTF?!" and got rid of that all together.

Everytime sempai comes up I replace it with "Hey roy!" or something else.

sadly no, Tony Oliver is Rick Hunter :p

In my production we did add Sempai in the beginning.  But later I thought about it, and thought about it, and continued too do so till I went, "WTF?!" and got rid of that all together.

Everytime sempai comes up I replace it with "Hey roy!" or something else.

353288[/snapback]

I recommend "WASABI!"