Ace Combat Zero

RFT

Again:

You get planes by killing Ace squadrons that use it. Very few exceptions. Did you fight Schnee Squadron, who use F-14's? Probably not, since you didn't get their plane.

Who you fight is determined by whether you are currently a Soldier, Knight, or Mercenary in that mission.

I think you get the morgan by completing the game on knight, soldier, and mercenary style. Thats when the falken is unlocked as well.

*on my 5th playthrough and still haven't bought/unlockled" all the planes*

The F-15C's color schemes all kick arse. Bout time they did it some justice!

F-16XL has some wasteful color schemes....the NASA and Wizard ones are the best.

According to the FAQ I've been using: -

To get the Morgan you have to complete the campaign on all ace styles on any difficulty.

To get the Falken you have to be awarded the Supreme Mercenary, Supreme Soldier, and Supreme Knight medals.

To be awarded the Supreme Knight medal, Complete the Campaign with the ace style meter at the extreme right.

To be awarded the Supreme Soldier medal Complete the Campaign with the ace style meter at the exact center of the style gauge.

To be awarded the Supreme Mercenary medal Complete the Campaign with the ace style meter at the extreme left.

Graham

He never hits me with his punny laser or psychedelic missiles (whatever, they are supposed to be), but boy is it difficult to shoot him down within the time limit.

Graham

402387[/snapback]

I got it the first time around. I guess i was super lucky. Now on expert I'm only in the 3rd missoin and have not played it for the last week. So busy :unsure:

What got me, was that stupid underground base. I wish these underground stages would be designed for us to distract the enemy or loose a misiles while showing off fliying skills

I shot down the Morgan on my 4th or 5th attempt on Normal. I'm now working my way through the game on Hard. Presently up to mission # 8.

I find the underground base in AC0 mission # 17 to be really easy. I just use any plane with FAEB as a special weapon (such as A-10). I fly at maximum spead along the ravine to avoid SAMS, taking out the occasional target along the way. Once I get to the base, I slow way down, enter the base and then just drop 2 x FAEB on each of the 3 clusters of targets inside the tunnel, exit the base and then it's mission accomplished in one run of the tunnel, no need to repeat. I never bother with destroying the gun towers on the surface.

Of course, as you have to use the same plane in mission # 18 as you used in # 17, I usually end up running out of time to destroy the Morgan as it's quite difficult to do so in an A-10. I just exit, then continue and switch to my favorite the Typhoon to beat the Morgan.

Graham

I found this nifty lil glitch with the game if you use ActionReplayMax. If you select infinite cash funds, start the game, play a mission, complete it, then restart the ps2 without the ARM disk, you'll still have all the funds.

So I've bought every Plane and SP available thus far.

I like just running like crazy down the ravine---full throttle from the moment the stage starts until you hit the dam.

403858[/snapback]

That's how I got through it too. If I was crazy enough, I'd use the F-4 on it just for a laugh...

• 1 month later...

Gawd....i just finished this game and started about 2 days ago. Pretty fun, despite the fact i have almost unlimited missiles, haha.

Finished the game with a SU-37 terminator. The Morgan (which looks like YF-21 somewhat) was a batty. Got him on my 3rd try. I was scratching my head on the 3rd "form" where u have to fire at his air intakes. The thought of me aiming my gattling gun into the air intakes made me go WTFFFF......how the hell am i suposed to do that, until i found out if u fire him in front will be suffcient. Getting him to face u in front was tricky at 1s, until decided to do "chicken" runs at each other and it was easy.

2nd Form was kinda easy too. Stay with him on gun-range and fire your missiles. He can hardly evade.

The underground base mission was a batty cause i picked the multiple target air-air missiles (which were useless). I refused to restart the level with the fuel bomb which probably might've made my life easier. I did it Jedi-style in the end and feel proud. Took me about 8 tries. Freaking annoyed.

Gonna try to unlock the falken.

GAH. Just found out that the "ACE STYLES" grading system is all about how many neutral targets you destroy. I was awarded Knight on 1st try. But didn't know to get other ace styles i had to now be more "evil" with my targets. Got knight on my 1st 4 replay missions, but want to turn Mercenary now. Will i qualify for the Supreme Mercenary medal if i changed my ways now?

GAH. Just found out that the "ACE STYLES" grading system is all about how many neutral targets you destroy. I was awarded Knight on 1st try. But didn't know to get other ace styles i had to now be more "evil" with my targets. Got knight on my 1st 4 replay missions, but want to turn Mercenary now. Will i qualify for the Supreme Mercenary medal if i changed my ways now?

414755[/snapback]

If you destroy EVERYTHING in each stage, yes. Supreme soldier is the hardest, your guage has to be EXACTLY in the middle.

The faqs don't say much about achieving SOLDIER except "destroy some yellow but not all"

What exactly is the balance? Another faq says to get the supreme knight/merc/soldier, you just gotta finish the campaign (ie the last 3 levels) on whichever style u wanna get.

The faqs don't say much about achieving  SOLDIER except "destroy some yellow but not all"

What exactly is the balance? Another faq says to get the supreme knight/merc/soldier, you just gotta finish the campaign (ie the last 3 levels) on whichever style u wanna get.

414773[/snapback]

For surpreme knight don't destroy any yellow targets AT ALL.

They are right on soldier, its kill some, leave some yellow to flee. Each time you do this on a stage, your guage either increases, decreases or stays the same. Just monitor your guage. If its veering to knight too much, shoot some yellows. If after another stages its veering to mercenary, let some yellows go on the next stage.

Its more of a give or take kinda deal.

Also the planes take a LONG time to earn, compared to all the other ace combats. Building up money takes hella long. But I guess that and earning the medals, unlocking everything under different conditions and 3 styles makes the replayability high, especially compared to 5.

Yeah. You get different ace interviews on different ace styles apparently. Do I really need to keep any jets? Cause i just sell off whatever i am using currently to get a bigger better jet later on.

Yeah. You get different ace interviews on different ace styles apparently. Do I really need to keep any jets? Cause i just sell off whatever i am using currently to get a bigger better jet later on.

414781[/snapback]

What I did was buy the F-15C immediately then I think the ACTIV later on. F-15C and typhoon lasted me for a LONG LONG while.

The SU-37 seemed a better deal than the F-15C, which i unlocked later than the Termie anyway. Gripen C lasted me pretty long mid game as well.

What i find funny was the Strike Flanker's description. It said it had a mini kitchen and toilet in it. WTH!? Is this for real?

The SU-37 seemed a better deal than the F-15C, which i unlocked later than the Termie anyway. Gripen C lasted me pretty long mid game as well.

What i find funny was the Strike Flanker's description. It said it had a mini kitchen and toilet in it. WTH!? Is this for real?

414792[/snapback]

Apparently it is.

I trhought the SU-37 would make the game to easy and I didn't want to use it as much, since I used it so much in 4 and 5.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having started this thread over a year ago, I finally got the game (just before going on holiday for a week) (bloody namco PAL release delays...).

I've nearly finished my first playthrough, as a knight, and so far it's good, but it's not blown me away like AC5 did (though 5 was my first Ace Combat game so that may be to be expected)- the changes to the money side of things has been a postitve change- i've grown quite attached to the Gripen that's seen me through most of the campaign.

I may have to chop it in though- i'm having a bear of a time with Wizard squadron's YF-23s and i'm wondering if a different approach is required. the XLAAs don;t seem to hit anything- so maybe I should go for somethign with QAAMs, like the F-15.

I used to do okay with them in AC5 (on the Typhoon and Tomcat-D). In the end I went with buying an F-15 and QAAMs, which got me through the missions- Downed the morgan on my second attempt.

Interestingly (well, i'm not sure how interestingly) I got the supreme knight medal, despite my meter being a few pixels from the end.

Just got this about a week ago too. So far, I've found it too be a little bit harder than the last game on "Normal" setting - I've actually been shot down, rather than killing myself by flying into the ground. :)

Your wingman - depsite having the most ridiculous wingman name in the history of aviation - actually does things this time round, too! "Hey, that was my kill!".

I really liked the fact that the Draken is one of the starting aircraft, too...

• 2 weeks later...

Can you unlock planes to buy in Free Mission mode, or only on campaign play-throughs?

I have had this game allmost since it came out, and have now beaten it on all diff levels. As far as I am aware, new planes are only unlocked in campaign mode. If you can do it on free missions, I have yet to find out how. I will play around with it some more, and if I find anything that unlocks any new planes I'll let you know.

Can you unlock planes to buy in Free Mission mode, or only on campaign play-throughs?

AFAIK, campaing mode only.

Free mission is usefull for replay without history, money-earning and experimenting missions with planes you wouldn't usually take in a campaing mission (use the F-117 to destroy the mountain fortress with GPB's without descending from 15,000 ft and not having to face a single enemy :ph34r: )

AFAIK, campaing mode only.

Free mission is usefull for replay without history, money-earning and experimenting missions with planes you wouldn't usually take in a campaing mission (use the F-117 to destroy the mountain fortress with GPB's without descending from 15,000 ft and not having to face a single enemy :ph34r: )

Great idea for not getting shot at, but that would make that mission extremely easy. What fun would that be? I often select planes that are not designed to be used for a given mission type just to make them harder, like an attack plane for use in the round table missions.

Great idea for not getting shot at, but that would make that mission extremely easy. What fun would that be? I often select planes that are not designed to be used for a given mission type just to make them harder, like an attack plane for use in the round table missions.

Agree totally.

But that's just another "experiment", and that's the point, try to beat a given mission with a plane you wouldn't normally use to beat it in campaign mode, where time/points are the primary concern. ^_^

Agree totally.

But that's just another "experiment", and that's the point, try to beat a given mission with a plane you wouldn't normally use to beat it in campaign mode, where time/points are the primary concern. ^_^

Good point, and I would agree with your assesment. Trying to make the game harder/more interesting, is the main reason for trying things like that. That being said, have you or anyone else found any x-planes beyond the Morgan and Falken? I know they make missions to easy, but hey, I like to unlock everything.

Good point, and I would agree with your assesment. Trying to make the game harder/more interesting, is the main reason for trying things like that. That being said, have you or anyone else found any x-planes beyond the Morgan and Falken? I know they make missions to easy, but hey, I like to unlock everything.

None that I'm aware of.

What really takes some time is to be able to purchase all the planes at the same time :D

None that I'm aware of.

What really takes some time is to be able to purchase all the planes at the same time :D

Have you done that on a campaign? I've purchased all the planes, but not all at once. That would meen staying in an F5 for a long time.