Ace Combat Zero

RFT

Because Zero is a direct prequel to 5, set years before. And excluding the X-02 and ADF-01 (from AC4 and 2 respectively), all the planes were real.

Also, we keep asking for neat older planes, instead of yet MORE Flanker variants. Getting a game that was definitely set earlier than 4 and 5 opened up that possibility.

I know Zero takes place years before. My point is, early on in 5 during one of the cinema's, it's discussed after examining some of the downed enemy planes that they're cheap reproductions, or something to that effect. Implication being that those designs had already been around for years, and possably during the period of the previous war.

Cheaper/faster to build, not older/less advanced. The implication was that they could still have so many planes while taking heavy losses, because of that special manufacturing technique.

The manufacturing technique was old and inferior, not the aircraft design itself. But if you can get decent planes a lot quicker and cheaper, most air forces in a war would go for it.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I have to say, I'm digging the cover art for Ace Combat Zero.

Hey, if you guys can't wait to start shooting things down, may I reccomend a little game called Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk? (Ignore the deceptive name... there are no Nighthawks, or any other real planes in the game, although your starting plane kinda reminds me of a VF-0.) The game really doesn't resemble Ace Combat... all the planes are fictional, and the controls are of a more arcadey nature. On the flip side, though, it's suprisingly fun for a budget game. It's the kinda game where you fly around and spam missiles at waves of enemy planes until you win. Or fight a boss. If this game was $50, hell, if this game was $30, I'd say it sucks and call it a day. But for $20, it's a fun little time waster.

I have to say, I'm digging the cover art for Ace Combat Zero.

Hey, if you guys can't wait to start shooting things down, may I reccomend a little game called Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk?  (Ignore the deceptive name... there are no Nighthawks, or any other real planes in the game, although your starting plane kinda reminds me of a VF-0.)  The game really doesn't resemble Ace Combat... all the planes are fictional, and the controls are of a more arcadey nature.  On the flip side, though, it's suprisingly fun for a budget game.  It's the kinda game where you fly around and spam missiles at waves of enemy planes until you win.  Or fight a boss.  If this game was $50, hell, if this game was $30, I'd say it sucks and call it a day.  But for $20, it's a fun little time waster.

385265[/snapback]

Yeah it is pretty good for a budget title.

i was wondering why they named it ac0 since it was set after 4 and before 5 well at least befor five anyway so couldnt it of been acp5 in other words ace combat pre5 or something that refers to it being before 5 and after 4 if thet war was after 4 just a thought

I just played AC4 again... man, I love that game. 

Makes you feel like a hero :D

(plus, I'm really good at it...)

I want ACZ!  But I haven't played AC5 yet...

390042[/snapback]

If 4 makes you feel like a hero, 5 will make you feel like a legendary immortal one with a hint of good demon thrown in. ;)

I just played AC4 again... man, I love that game. 

Makes you feel like a hero :D

(plus, I'm really good at it...)

I want ACZ!  But I haven't played AC5 yet...

390042[/snapback]

It's not a requirement that you play 5 before zero. In fact, you'll understand 5 all that much better if you play zero first.

Man, that game is so good. I beat the game in two days. It's short but there is a lot of gameplay, I still haven't collected all the ace trophies and fought all the ace squadrons and unlocked the planes and etc. This is the hardest Ace Combat ever IMO, and your only wingman has the strength of the three jack asses from Ace 5. And you can find the Ace5 soundtrack here www.gamemusic.com. And I can't wait for the Zero OST, the music for the last dogfight is some of the best ever. That game was well worth my 6k Yen. B))

It's not a requirement that you play 5 before zero. In fact, you'll understand 5 all that much better if you play zero first.

390081[/snapback]

Yeah, but I like playing games in order for the most part (unless the originals sucked, like RE vs RE4...).

ACZ has a lot of really interesting-sounding features though, mainly dealing with the whole "Ace" and scoring ideas.

Edited by Raptor

Ace Combat for the PSP

Ace Combat swooping onto PSPs

Namco Bandai confirms its popular combat flight-sim is coming to Sony's portable in Japan; no US plans revealed as of yet.

Following reports in the Japanese press, American Bandai Namco reps confirmed today that the publisher is readying an Ace Combat title for the PSP. "I can confirm that the Ace Team in Japan has officially announced Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for the PSP," a rep told GameSpot News. It will mark the second time the series has ventured from its PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console roots, after 2005's Ace Combat Advance for the Game Boy Advance.

What exactly is Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception? That's a good question. Little is known about the game other than its title. However, it will like feature the same group of fictional countries waging a modern air war with real-world fighter jets. Past plane rosters have included American interceptors like the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the F/A-18 Hornet, as well as Soviet fighter-bombers like the Su-27 and MiG-29.

The newest console entry in the series, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War for the PlayStation 2, is set to ship this Spring in North America. No US release plans for Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception have yet been announced

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147653.html

Damn, why can't this game come out for X-BOX for a chance. the only ace combat games I have is the first and third one for my PS-X. I'm digging that ADF-1X Morgan fighter though.

Got an Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War t-shirt from my best friend who manages a Gamestop. He still hasn't heard if this one will be coming with a stick and throttle, though... Anybody have any other word?

Possible, but unlikely. 90%+ of stores will have it Wed. Of course, sometimes the 25th actually does mean AVAILABLE the 25th, as opposed to SHIPPING on the 25th.

I haven't heard anything about a flightstick shipping with any version.

Edited by David Hingtgen

OK, so I guess it's safe to assume that there won't be a flightstick coming with this one. I cannot express how disappointing this is, as the AC5 stick and throttle go for about $120 on eBay right now. Ugh.

As an alternative, has anyone ever used one of these? I do love Logitech, so I feel like this would be a good substitute for the right price.

Along the same lines, has anyone ever heard of an adaptor which would allow one to connect a PC's USB joystick to a PS2? I am so used to using my lovely Saitek stick now that I feel pretty sure I'd have a hard time adjusting to anything else.

For those interested, it seems that there's no flightstick bundle this time round for ACZ. BUT, Hori DID release a new FS seperately for the ACZ game, it's called the FlightStick2 R. Pic below, it has a red faceplate this time round.

Decided to buy it as i couldn't get my hands on the AC5 one... too ex... :(

All i need to do now, is build mounting brackets for it! :)

post-874-1145892104.jpg

Does anybody here have screencaps or other pics of the Falken with camo pattern or the new schemes from AC0? I'm thinking of an alternative paintjob for my Bandai kit.

-i-

391503[/snapback]

http://forums.acecombatskies.com/index.php...topic=1098&st=0

scroll down

391553[/snapback]

The F-1 special paint scheme looks very "Shinsengumi-ish" (light blue and white triangles on the rear edges) :huh:

Also, to anyone who has played the game already: is Bartlett in Zero or not?

Yes, but not overtly. Hrtbreak 1 is one of the Allied aircraft in one of the missions. The carrier Kestrel is also in one of the earlier missions.

Because its been a sony brand for so long? Thats like asking why gran turismo didn't show up on gamecube or xbox

Not exactly. Sony owns Poliphony Digital, hence GT games only on Sony consoles. Ace Combat is a Namco franchise. And Ridge Racer, another Namco franchise that launched with the PSX, recently made the jump to 360...

In any case, who picked it up yet? I freaking love the game. It's like a subtle blending of 4 and 5.

Like 5 - Controls, including wingman controls, the fact that you have wingman with names and what not, the setting, missions where you shoot things around castles.

Like 4 - Computer briefing instead of fat guy, return line on some missions, Excalibur (think Stonehedge), return of the buying of special weapons, slightly less story than 5.

My one gripe? While replaying the game to earn all the planes and medals will add length, there are only 18 missions. While that puts it at Ace Combat 4 length, five kinda spoiled me. On the other hand, while there were some truly awesome missions in 5, there were some crappy ones as well (both of the ones were you had to fly in between radar balls, the one where you had to hit the targets in sync with the wingmen, etc), and so far, I've enjoyed all the missions in Zero.

I also like how this one gives you a little bit more in the way of choices. Like, in 4, you started with the F-4 and you liked it. In 5, you were flying the F-5 for awhile before you had the option to fly anything else. In Zero, you had three from the get-go, and I rather enjoyed flying the Draken for awhile.

Of course, I unlocked the Su-37 WAY to quickly, and ever since the other planes just haven't been worth it.

Also, to anyone who has played the game already: is Bartlett in Zero or not?

Yes, but not overtly. Hrtbreak 1 is one of the Allied aircraft in one of the missions. The carrier Kestrel is also in one of the earlier missions.

Because its been a sony brand for so long? Thats like asking why gran turismo didn't show up on gamecube or xbox

Not exactly. Sony owns Poliphony Digital, hence GT games only on Sony consoles. Ace Combat is a Namco franchise. And Ridge Racer, another Namco franchise that launched with the PSX, recently made the jump to 360...

In any case, who picked it up yet? I freaking love the game. It's like a subtle blending of 4 and 5.

Like 5 - Controls, including wingman controls, the fact that you have wingman with names and what not, the setting, missions where you shoot things around castles.

Like 4 - Computer briefing instead of fat guy, return line on some missions, Excalibur (think Stonehedge), return of the buying of special weapons, slightly less story than 5.

My one gripe? While replaying the game to earn all the planes and medals will add length, there are only 18 missions. While that puts it at Ace Combat 4 length, five kinda spoiled me. On the other hand, while there were some truly awesome missions in 5, there were some crappy ones as well (both of the ones were you had to fly in between radar balls, the one where you had to hit the targets in sync with the wingmen, etc), and so far, I've enjoyed all the missions in Zero.

I also like how this one gives you a little bit more in the way of choices. Like, in 4, you started with the F-4 and you liked it. In 5, you were flying the F-5 for awhile before you had the option to fly anything else. In Zero, you had three from the get-go, and I rather enjoyed flying the Draken for awhile.

Of course, I unlocked the Su-37 WAY to quickly, and ever since the other planes just haven't been worth it.

394642[/snapback]

You get to unlock the 37 really early, but it's ages before you can afford the damn thing, so it kinda evens out I think! :)