Ace Combat Zero

RFT

I thought it was the same place, but wasn't sure. 

PS---anyone else think they screwed up the FMV's in Zero?  Playing as a Soldier got me a lot of "Knight-referencing" interviews, and playing as a Knight got me interviews about my strategy and observation...

395548[/snapback]

That might just be to show that the enemies fit into the same three ace types.

I'm stuck on mission 8 I think the one where the super laser destroys the transport planes and your flying to safety.  I keep getting zapped!  Playing on hard.

395727[/snapback]

I just stayed at a cruising speed (or slower) while heading south. As soon as the big red fuzzy dot shows up on radar, I bank hard left or right to avoid the dot and speed up while still going in a southerly direction. When the laser stops, I turn directly south again and slow to cruising speed and repeat the process. I only got zapped once because I was trying to get the hell out of dodge as soon as the laser came down, and I was just going way too fast to get out of the way.

Go slow. Unlike every other "dodge the super weapon" mission in AC, this one has really good aim. If you're blasting South at Mach 2, you'll hit it before you can even turn. Hold around 600mph. Also, fly banked---then you don't have to roll, you can just haul back on the stick the moment you see it. I often fly banked 60 degrees, and going SE or SW instead of due South. Then, when I see it, I can just quickly pull back and be pointing due South, while avoiding the laser. It will always be right ahead of you, no matter which way you're pointing. So I purposely fly off course a bit to lure it over, so when it fires I then turn due S, towards safety and away from the laser.

Also, it WILL have one last shot at the VERY end, beyond the white line. Watch for it.

I thought it was the same place, but wasn't sure. 

PS---anyone else think they screwed up the FMV's in Zero?  Playing as a Soldier got me a lot of "Knight-referencing" interviews, and playing as a Knight got me interviews about my strategy and observation...

395548[/snapback]

First two parts shouldn't be any trouble. Third part gave me trouble as I tried to stick on his ass & use the gun to take out his intakes (made sense at the time). But after a couple useless attempts at that, I found charging away from him until he gets to the edge of the radar screen, then slowing, flipping around, & charging back at him, gave me the best shots at him. after 3 or so passes he should be taken out.

Go slow.  Unlike every other "dodge the super weapon" mission in AC, this one has really good aim.  If you're blasting South at Mach 2, you'll hit it before you can even turn.  Hold around 600mph.  Also, fly banked---then you don't have to roll, you can just haul back on the stick the moment you see it.  I often fly banked 60 degrees, and going SE or SW instead of due South.  Then, when I see it, I can just quickly pull back and be pointing due South, while avoiding the laser.  It will always be right ahead of you, no matter which way you're pointing.  So I purposely fly off course a bit to lure it over, so when it fires I then turn due S, towards safety and away from the laser. 

Also, it WILL have one last shot at the VERY end, beyond the white line.  Watch for it.

395748[/snapback]

Man! Good tip! I guess i was just going too fast then! I just like, smacked right into it by the 3rd shot! Darn! :lol:

I haven't picked this up yet, and haven't even really been following the thread (except for an occasional post). How are you guys finding the game? I'm a big fan of the series, just haven't gotten around to pick this one up yet.

Yeah I was going as fast a possible!

How are you guys finding the game?

Do you mean "finding" as in where? or "finding as I find it good.

Found it in the mall at one of those video game only chain stores. I like the game play but I have yet to get into the story.

I'm stuck on the dogfight with Pixy, though...anyone got any suggestions for me?  So far I've used the F-15C and the SU-37.

395581[/snapback]

At first just tail him like any other bogey, fire missiles when you're close and have a clear shot (if you have the super homing missiles, even better). Stay alert for a huge blast he occasionally sets off when you're behind him, but it's fairly easy to dodge. During the second half of the battle, slow down until he charges you. When he does, build speed, quickly fire off a couple of missiles then dodge his own volley. It's sorta like a joust. Lather, rinse, repeat...

395601[/snapback]

Thanks, Valk Hunter. I tried again last night and got close, but no cigar. Which super homing missiles were you referring to, by the way? I have either the XLAA's or XMAA's (can't remember right now) equipped on the F-15C and Su-37.

XLAA and XMAA will never ever hit the last boss. QAAM or the "basic" missile are the only ones. I fired some 60 AMRAAM's and Phoenixes and AA-12's and never got one hit. Part of the reason I suggest the F-15C---QAAM's.

Save most (not all) of the QAAM's for the 3rd form--they do a little more damage, enough to save a missile hit or two (since you get so few chances--sometimes he'll just refuse to come head-on)

I found that doing the "run far away, lure him to come, then charge head-on" takes WAY too much time. Just keep turning into him at close range---he'll came at you often enough that you'll get more chances in the 5-minute window than if you "perfectly" set up head-on runs from long range. He's SO agile he can turn around and come head on whenever he feels like, no matter how close he is. My best run yet was like 2 minutes 7 seconds, for all 3 forms. I got a lot of 45-degree-off QAAM hits on the final form.

I haven't picked this up yet, and haven't even really been following the thread (except for an occasional post). How are you guys finding the game? I'm a big fan of the series, just haven't gotten around to pick this one up yet.

395893[/snapback]

If you're a big fan of the series, then this one shouldn't disappoint. It adds a lot more background to AC5. I've only gone through the game once, and I actually wouldn't mind going through it again.

Thanks, Valk Hunter.  I tried again last night and got close, but no cigar.  Which super homing missiles were you referring to, by the way?  I have either the XLAA's or XMAA's (can't remember right now) equipped on the F-15C and Su-37.

395909[/snapback]

The quick manuvering type mentioned by DH, QAAMs. Depending on what plane you have, they might not be available. Sometimes getting close might not be enough cuz most of the aces suddenly get a manueverability bonus as soon you squeeze off a couple of missiles on what you thought was a clear shot. When an opponent is in the middle of roll is the best time for missiles to hit. If you can anticipate such a window of opportunity, fire away. And if you can, hose 'em with your guns.

Go slow.  Unlike every other "dodge the super weapon" mission in AC, this one has really good aim.  If you're blasting South at Mach 2, you'll hit it before you can even turn.  Hold around 600mph.  Also, fly banked---then you don't have to roll, you can just haul back on the stick the moment you see it.  I often fly banked 60 degrees, and going SE or SW instead of due South.  Then, when I see it, I can just quickly pull back and be pointing due South, while avoiding the laser.  It will always be right ahead of you, no matter which way you're pointing.  So I purposely fly off course a bit to lure it over, so when it fires I then turn due S, towards safety and away from the laser. 

Also, it WILL have one last shot at the VERY end, beyond the white line.  Watch for it.

395748[/snapback]

Furthermore, the other two "superweapons" had a safe-zone. In AC4, you simply flew below a certain altitude and Stonehenge couldn't touch you, whereas the missiles from the Scinfaxi/Hrimfaxi subs were low-alt detonators, so you just had to fly above them. They weren't really obstacles so much as an element of the story... the excalibur REALLY made you work to stay alive. My last-second strike came just as I was about to cross the return line, I was expecting it though. It came after narrowly avoiding the previous strike, which I only just barely survived (97% damage)

On a side note, the X-02 unlocked for me when i completed the first mission ( and moved into the 'knight' style), just that i don't have the money to buy it yet! So i assume the falken will unlock when i go into the 'mercernary' style?

However, whatever i seem to do now keeps me in the Knight style! I assume i gotta blow up everything to become a mercernary right? :ph34r:

On a side note, the X-02 unlocked for me when i completed the first mission ( and moved into the 'knight' style), just that i don't have the money to buy it yet! So i assume the falken will unlock when i go into the 'mercernary' style?

However, whatever i seem to do now keeps me in the Knight style! I assume i gotta blow up everything to become a mercernary right?  :ph34r:

396123[/snapback]

Do you have a completed game save from AC5? That's what unlocks it if it's your first play through. And I don't think you'll get the Falken that easily. But yes, if you blow everything up on the field (that windmill doesn't stand a chance!), the mercenary class is easy to get.

Do you have a completed game save from AC5? That's what unlocks it if it's your first play through.  And I don't think you'll get the Falken that easily. But yes, if you blow everything up on the field (that windmill doesn't stand a chance!), the mercenary class is easy to get.

396131[/snapback]

Yup, I've both the AC4 and 5 save files in the mem card, It's not my first playthrough though, i'm only on mission 8, but the X-02 is already in the hanger! (it unlocked afer mission 1) You mean i'm supposed to clear the game once before i'm able to get the X-02? :blink: Maybe it's a bug! :o

Edited by GunnerX

I have a "mastered" AC5 save (All planes, all colors, all S on all ranks--except maybe 1 mission I think) and didn't unlock the Falken yet.

Ok, even if XL/XMAA can hit Pixy, it happens so rarely it's a waste of time and ammo. QAAM is far better.

PS--the MiG-21 has QAAM's, but I doubt you'd want to use it for the final mission! I just got the YF-23 (QAAM), I'll see how it does. I always feel invincible in the YF-23...

But QAAM's are nowhere near as godlike as they were in 4.

But yeah... even though, gamewise, the stats on the F/A-22 are a bit better mobility, speed, stability, and air-to-air, I've been flying the YF-23 a bit, especially on Round Table missions. It's black with the Soldier paint, which seems appropriate for a Demon Lord...

QAAM----Very true, but they are better than standard, and with how often you run out of time (instead of dying) on the final mission, any increase in damage or hit probability is much appreciated.

PS---the Soldier (or maybe Knight, I forget) F-14 scheme is 100% Razgriz--even has the valkyrie/shield on the tail.

I was going through my assault records, and I just noticed... one of the enemy aces I bagged goes on to work on Stonehenge. Nice tip of the hat to Ace Combat 4.

Another thing... could Cypher be your pilot in Ace Combat 2 as well? It would kinda make sense... Scarface was, IIRC, a mercenary group. And AC2 is only 4 years after Zero. I'd think Cypher would still be flying. Plus, as Wizard 01 said in his interview, "There's always a war going on somewhere, I suppose. He'll always have a home."

For that matter, although I suppose it's a bit more of a stretch, Cypher could be Mobius 01 as well. Cypher was refered to as young by someone in Zero, and it's only about nine years from Zero to 4. Cypher and Mobius 01 were both abnormally talented... PJ even described Cypher as "inhuman." And while Mobius 01 wasn't ever directly called a mercenary, it would explain why he didn't have squadron (until Megalith).

Be they seperate or the same person, I wonder what Cypher and Mobius 01 were doing during 5? I suppose Osea might not have been an ISAF member, so Mobius 01 might not have a reason to be involved. But it seems like Cypher ought to have been involved somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally picked it up 2 days ago. I finished it yesterday. Its way, way too short. It lacks any real semblence of a story. While going back to some of the AC standards (laser weapon, giant aircraft boss, flying through tunnels), they missed some of my favorites, such as real naval assaults and some great cityscape battles.

Comparing Zero to 5 is like comparing Jedi Academy to Jedi Outcast... but then, neither 5 or Zero were what 4 was. Still, I found a whole lot more meat in 5 than in Zero. Its like half a game, and I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the price.

Course, I still love flying these damned planes, but its just lacking anything for me to really sink my teeth into.

Comparing Zero to 5 is like comparing Jedi Academy to Jedi Outcast... but then, neither 5 or Zero were what 4 was. Still, I found a whole lot more meat in 5 than in Zero. Its like half a game, and I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the price.

400390[/snapback]

Most new PS2 games are now priced at $39.99 to be in line with the system's price drop.

Pixy and PJ are still better by themselves than Edge, Chopper, Swordsman, and Archer combined....

Pixy has 1/10 my kills in some categories, as opposed to Edge (the best of Razgriz) who has like 1.5% of my kills.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Pixy and PJ are still better by themselves than Edge, Chopper, Swordsman, and Archer combined....

Pixy has 1/5 my kills in some categories, as opposed to Edge (the best of Razgriz) who has like 1.5% of my kills.

400429[/snapback]

I have to agree, Zero has it's ups and downs and i can see where Duke is coming from with the lack of story (it was pretty good, but it had alot of potential to be even better, 4 still has the best story of the three IMO), but overall i think they did a much better job with how well your wingmen handle the situation you assign them to. Pixy/PJ covered my butt alot more times than Razgriz ever did in 5. <_<

While Zero doesn't have many improvements over the last 2 games I think they really work it on the game's AI. I don't remember ever having up to 3 enemies on my tail at the same time and timing their missiles. It makes the dogfigthing more intense and rewarding experience. =)

Just finished AC5 last night (a little disappointing IMO). Will be starting AC Zero over the weekend.

How many missions do I have to fly before I get the Typhoon?

Graham

400479[/snapback]

SPOILER

If i'm not mistaken if you take the Mercenary route i think you can get access to it (ability to purchase it) after mission 3. If you take the Mercenary route the squadron that comes to intercept you in Mission 3 is outfitted with Typhoons. After you beat the mission it's unlocked along with the corresponding squadron color... at least i think so. I beat that mission about 2 weeks ago, but i think that's where i unlocked it from. Your best bet might be to hit up gamefaqs just to make sure.

ROT(the typhoon aces) are the first ace squad you fight, and the eurofighter is unlockable early on during the first run through of the game. The ace scheme for it kicks all of the ac5 typhoon ace scheme's asses.

Thing is while you do unlock planes every few missions, it takes a long time to get enough money to buy them all. This game definitely requires more than one run through. I love it though. THe assualt record is cool. I like hearing about what happened to some of the aces I shot down.

Played through the first 3 missions of AC0 last night. Defineitly like it more than AC5 so far.

One thing I've noticed is shooting down bombers seems a bit easier and more realistic in AC0 compared to 5. In 5, you have to hit them with at least half a dozen missiles, in 0, one or two hits and they are down.

Also, like that you can buy different special weapons for each plane.

I'm Mercenary all the way baby! If it runs it's meat! :lol:

Graham

Up to mission 8 now, the one with the big laser that zaps you from the sky.

Definitely enjoying AC0 more than AC5. Thought mission 7 was fantastic fun.

While IMO the missions in 0 are a bit harder overall than the missions in 5, I find them harder in a challenging (and enjoyable way), rather than just being annoying and poorly thought out, as several of the missions in 5 were.

I actually prefer that there is less story between missions in 0 compared with 5.

Graham