Robotech honored by Science Fiction Museum

As part of the celebration of Robotech's 20th Anniversary the North American Science Fiction Convention, Cascadia Con, and The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame will honor Robotech with an award for its contribution to the genre of Science Fiction on Wednesday August 31st at 7 p.m.

Full article

Courtesy on Ain't It Cool News

Contribution...?

323367[/snapback]

Thats my question.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=post&id=25059

Lame.

waits for mgrexx to show up with his masters.

323364[/snapback]

:lol:

I hope he shows up soon. He is a never ending source of entertainment for me.

323372[/snapback]

Popcorn anyone?

hmmmm

I wonder what happened to uncle Macek and the rest of the crew of the original 85 tv series????

Well if they have any pride the people at harmony gold should never take this award and if they do, they should at least accept the importance of the work that the original japanese staff did back in the 80's with the original shows.

Anyways, in my mind they (Harmony Gold) are a bunch of opoortunists that live from the work done by others.

regards

hmmmm

I wonder what happened to uncle Macek and the rest of the crew of the original 85 tv series????

Well if they have any pride the people at harmony gold should never take this award and if they do, they should at least accept the importance of the work that the original japanese staff did back in the 80's with the original shows.

Anyways, in my mind they (Harmony Gold) are a bunch of opoortunists that live from the work done by others.

regards

323402[/snapback]

The Russians of old would call them Capitalist pigs.

I don't get the anamosity... they made money, good for them. They're still making money... good for them. They're proud of what they've done... good for them. Do they deserve a Sci Fi award I've never heard of for it? Not more than the creators of the original series but heck, good for them. I hope the original series have already gotten plenty of accolades.

Kawamori, Mikimoto and Miyatake must be spinning in their graves.

Yeah I know they're not dead, but they must as well be, huh? :rolleyes:

323386[/snapback]

The announcement killed them. They immediatly sank into the earth, spun around 3 times, and rose as enraged undead marauders with glowing red eyes.

323386[/snapback]

The announcement killed them. They immediatly sank into the earth, spun around 3 times, and rose as enraged undead marauders with glowing red eyes.

323423[/snapback]

Regular Zombies or some sort of Cyber Zombies :unsure:

Robotech "contributed" to science fiction in the way that Alien 2: On Earth, Battle Beyond the Stars and Lady Terminator did; They all ripped off somebody else's work and pretended it was something original. The fact that this Science Fiction Museum would be ignorant of this (or even worse, you ignore it) doesn't exactly speak highly of them.

323386[/snapback]

323423[/snapback]

323427[/snapback]

Cyber-zombies. Hyper-intelligent cyber-zombies.

323386[/snapback]

323423[/snapback]

323427[/snapback]

323434[/snapback]

Well that explains the glowing eyes then.

I bet one has tank treads man that would be wicked sweet.

323386[/snapback]

323423[/snapback]

323427[/snapback]

323434[/snapback]

Well that explains the glowing eyes then.

I bet one has tank treads man that would be wicked sweet.

323438[/snapback]

Miyatake does. Kawamori has a plasma cannon on his left arm.

I wonder if maybe a letter of protest over this incident would help inform this group exactly what it is they are inducting into their hall of fame? I suppose it couldn't hurt. If they look into it, it's a win. If they reply with "We've already considered this and are well aware blah, blah, blah" then a public declaration of this institution's credibility can go in the "history hall of fame".

Just to play devil's advocate here.... (I really don't care enough to take a stance one way or the other)

People tend to be irked when someone downplays the differences between Macross and The Macross Saga (or SDCSC vs TRM, MOSPEADA, TNG). I've seen it many times where someone will make the "eh, it's just a dub" comment and create the flame war to end all flame wars. Soo.... if we all like to think the originals are vastly different and superior to Robotech then don't we have to conceed that Robotech is indeed a unique creation? I'm not saying we have to like it or dislike it but wouldn't we have to view it as a stand-alone product or risk becoming hypocritical? As such, if a SciFi enterprise feels the story is worthy of accolade then, if we really do feel that RT does a horrible representation of the originals, don't we have to conclude that they are judging RT based on the story how RT conveys it?

I dunno, just a thought. The folks at HG don't seem to try to hide what they've done so I highly doubt any organization handing out awards has no idea that the animation is all originally from three unrelated Japanese shows.

Robotech is a unique creation in that it is a mutation, an altered form of the original. Mutants technically are unique creatures as they possess the original traits of the original creature but have new traits of their own. With Robotech the story changes to merge three shows into one are what make it "original", outside of that everything else is from the original animals.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that this shifty Sci Fi Museum is just someone's own place based on their opinion. It's not like this joint is a government institution and by somehow awarding Robotech they are forcing you to like it or accept it. It's just a group of dorks who called themselves "curators" and started naming things to their list of all time cool geek stuff. They have no authority outside that they did it all themselves.

My own feelings on the matter are that if I wanted to be a total ass (which I do a lot) I'd create my own Sci Fi Museum and name the original shows to the honors list just to spite them. Then I'd re-write Star Wars, Star Trek and the original Battlestar Galactica into one show called "Starshiptech" and wait 20 years until some other band of dorks calls it an honorable endeavor...

It's all just someone else' opinion in the end. Just like the Oscars, the Grammys and the Golden Globes it is what a small group of people say, not what the majority say or what you or I say. Until they kick in your door and force you at gunpoint to watch the beloved democratic people's television program "Robotech: the heroes of the people's state" it's all just wind in your face. I say sit back and enjoy the breeze... they'll run out of breath eventually then it will be your turn to talk at your leisure.

323386[/snapback]

323423[/snapback]

323427[/snapback]

323434[/snapback]

No, they didn't come back as zombies, they returned as Dracula Bus: Bus of the Undead! :o

But yeah, I hope they're at least kind enough to note at the event those who actually CREATED and DREW the episodes, not just the one that pulled a Space Ghost: C2C on them. <_<

323386[/snapback]

323423[/snapback]

323427[/snapback]

323434[/snapback]

No, they didn't come back as zombies, they returned as Dracula Bus: Bus of the Undead! :o

Not mutualy exclusive.

I've now got this image in my head of japanese cyborg zombies transforming and docking together to make a vampire bus. Damn you. Damn you to Wisconsin.

Robotech "contributed" to science fiction in the way that Alien 2: On Earth...

Alien 2: On Earth? There has never been an alien movie that takes place on earth. There were a couple of scenes that take place in a spacestation in earth orbit in Aliens and a deleted scene from the fourth movie, but nothing else. Bsu legato, I don't think you have your facts strait.

Sorry, I'm a huge Alien fan and had to bring that up. ;)

Now to get back on topic...

Mr March, it's not like writing a letter would hurt. It's worth a try.

We have to do something before HG and Robocrap get even more famous and steal all the credit. In Japan, macross is often over shadowed by Gundam and the like. Everywhere else in the world, it's exploited and sh!t on.

I have an idea...We can write a letter to Hilary Clinton and say that HG is ruining the minds of America's youth. It's teaching kids to hate and kill aliens. They're making games of this too. And worst of all, children are listening to Reba West's singing. The F*ed up franchise is creating F*ed up kids. :lol:

I don't get the anamosity... they made money, good for them. They're still making money... good for them. They're proud of what they've done... good for them. Do they deserve a Sci Fi award I've never heard of for it? Not more than the creators of the original series but heck, good for them. I hope the original series have already gotten plenty of accolades.

I used to think this, but when you realise that because of its existance it has killed any chance of fans getting to like the original due to not knowing anything about them, it kinda steals all the fanfare from the original creators. (it doesn't help that from now on toys relating to macross won't be available locally unless as "robotech toys" due to the legal problems. And there are no credits for them in the robotech outro are there?)

Yeah robotech is original in the sense it has its own story to it that merges all the series together, but imagine if you saw bits and pieces of star wars, the last star fighter, and battlestar galactica, created your own fanfiction or made your own movie by cutting and editing the footage from each and made a trilogy, and called your college mates to do the voice overs for the characters, then it would be pretty mean to the original creators to take all the credit for this.

But robotech would not have existed if it weren't for requirements to have whatever number of eps to get it on air, so on the other hand you can't hold them guilty of intentionally wanting to screw over the originals themselves. Maybe had things been different it would have been brought over more faithfully as the three seperate shows.

Now I don't mind the robotech universe, but it existing means people would less likely apreciate where its shows were rooted from. So in a sense it competes with the originals by taking from them and preventing the originals from gaining the attention and credit they deserve. By the time of macross plus, and a gaining of awareness for anime in the US, thank god it was not brought over as some sorta robotech sequel, eh?

When I look back, I wish Rtech had a more star blazers/space battleship yamato approach: maybe a little censorship, (because of the attitude that "animation = kid cartoon" stigma back then, similar to the stigma attached to videogames as only kid's entertainment that you get today) and changes of names, but not a story change to merge everything so that it creates the mutant which prevents the originals from shining in the way they were originally intended.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The only thing RT has added to the sci-fi community is to spur hate and resentment from purists who get the "F-me stick" because originals were damn expensive and took forever to get "officially licensed" versions on the store shelves."

There were plenty of shows on the air in the US already that had done far more for Sci Fi than "Robotech" did. (even SDF Macross was revolutionary only in a couple of ways)

I wouldn't vote SDF: Macross into any hall of fame for being super innovative, so I feel perfectly safe saying that these guys have no f-ing clue what they're talking about. They wouldn't know innovative sci-fi if it crawled up their @ss and give them an orgasm through prostate stimulation (Stewie for governor!!).

Alien 2: On Earth?  There has never been an alien movie that takes place on earth.

That is because Alien 2: On Earth is a crappy Italian sci-fi movie that got translated and released in the US and is not part of the Aliens franchise. Bsu was referring to that one.

Edit: Bsu and I saw the same movie and posted at the same time! :ph34r:

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Bsu legato, I don't think you have your facts strait.

Sorry, I'm a huge Alien fan and had to bring that up. ;)

323490[/snapback]

Then you'd know that it wasn't an offical Alien movie, but a cheapie Italian ripoff. But don't take my word for it....try IMDB.

Dammit, beaten to the punch by JsARC. Again. :lol:

Edited by bsu legato

I used to think this, but when you realise that because of its existance it has killed any chance of fans getting to like the original due to not knowing anything about them, it kinda steals all the fanfare from the original creators. (it doesn't help that from now on toys relating to macross won't be available locally unless as "robotech toys" due to the legal problems. And there are no credits for them in the robotech outro are there?)

I thought the first parenthetical note had more to do with the animosity than that it overshadowed the original. As far as I know, the Robotech hatred didn't REALLY kick in until HG declared war on the fanbase and started blocking merchandise.

But you're right about the second parenthetical note. Original creators get no mention in the RT credits.

But robotech would not have existed if it weren't for requirements to have whatever number of eps to get it on air, so on the other hand you can't hold them guilty of intentionally wanting to screw over the originals themselves. Maybe had things been different it would have been brought over more faithfully as the three seperate shows.

As I understood it, it needed that many episodes for SYNDICATED release. HG could have just signed the single program to a network for saturday morning runs, but for the widespread 5-days-a-week-on-every-channel setup, they needed more eps.

And even then, they could've done a faithful release, and had the 3 seperate universes under the Robotech label.

Now I don't mind the robotech universe, but it existing means people would less likely apreciate where its shows were rooted from. So in a sense it competes with the originals by taking from them and preventing the originals from gaining the attention and credit they deserve.

Particulary as HG has made signifigant effort to minimize exposure to the originals.

By the time of macross plus, and a gaining of awareness for anime in the US, thank god it was not brought over as some sorta robotech sequel, eh?

A lot of people think it IS a Robotech sequel.

If Homotech can be considered SciFi, what happened to Astro Boy or even Voltron? They were here before Uncle Macek and his goons raped Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada.

If those morons at the SF awards need to honor a production, they should give it to Star Blazers. The OTHER raped anime.

On a side note, I'm surprised MGTroll hasn't show up. I was waiting for his 'input' in this matter. :D

Original creators get no mention in the RT credits.

Hmm....so they were supposed to have 5 mins worth of credits to list all the animators?

323529[/snapback]

You just speed up the crawl, like they do with most TV credits these days. Yeah, they're only there for a fraction of a second, but at least they're being acknowledged.

Robotech is neither even remotely original, nor is it close enough to the originals to be considered a dub. It's a sad bastardization of 2 good, and one "ok" show. Think of a really good beer that you enjoy (if you drink), and then imagine that beer left out for a couple hours, and watered down. While it could still be considered beer, it's nothing you'd want to drink.

what a bunch of crap.  if they have some display going that doesn't mention it being 3 separate japanese animes, we should hire agent one, paint him green, and make him "GO SMAAAAAAAAAASH!!!"  :lol:

323400[/snapback]

HIRE!?? I'd do that for free... As long as I could be naked while destroying everything.