New Pics of Yamato VF-0S 1/60

Graham

Okay, I've been avoiding commenting on the VF-0 design because I've always found its mish-mash of stealthy/non-stealthy features a little strange, and I couldn't get over the funky Flogger wings. I've also been in denial as to not plunk down another couple of C bills on a toy...

But I've got to say that is a beautiful design. That fighter belly shot clinches it - how awsome is that smooth transition from the tucked arms into the backpack? And the tailhook! The only thing that would have been better would be flush missile hardpoints tucked between the legs, a la F-14s.

I just smoothed over the purchase of a 1/48 on the homefront - now this? Damnitall! :angry:

In fighter mode, the head sticks out alot. And i noticed that the heat shield is a seperate piece, and not that skull thing on top of the canopy. Is it supposed to be like that? 0.o

345778[/snapback]

the part swapping is probably because that thing is most likely a painted prototype and they don't want to stress the resin

Looks good. Both modes look nice and battroid mode looks like it has good articulation. Hopefully the wrists are tight. Will look good standing next to a 1/60 vf1 and qrau.

Will be interesting how the ghost booster will look on it.

I actually like the chunky look over the skinny leg look of the lineart now. :D

More modern look can be explained by saying they were not designed for mass production. VF1 had to be made simply with less detail because they needed many of them and to manufacture the mass production versions you need to make them quicker having less details. Simpler look = more can be made. :D Kind of like the GM models in gundam which look more basic and have features taken out.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I was wondering the same thing as Godzilla but then I thought it might be them showing the progress from an earlier article that was in the magazine. Kinda a "We broke the news and showed it to you when it was this rough of a stage, take a look at now!"

In fighter mode, the head sticks out alot. And i noticed that the heat shield is a seperate piece, and not that skull thing on top of the canopy. Is it supposed to be like that? 0.o

345778[/snapback]

the part swapping is probably because that thing is most likely a painted prototype and they don't want to stress the resin

345785[/snapback]

I'd like to be optimistic but i doubt it. 1stly, I thought that the heatshield IS the part on top of the canopy. The whole breastplate area along with the heatshield should just drop down onto the canopy, simple transformation compared to the VF-1's heatshield. So assuming that this was true, there shouldn't be any stressing of resin either since the heat shield itself wouldn't have any hinges or moving parts. From the pictures, it looks like the plate does cover the canopy but probably not enough to cover all, and thus requires a seperate piece to cover on top of it.

What do u guys think?

What you are seeing in those magazine scans is actually two seperate prototypes, one in fighter mode and one in battroid mode.

The fighter mode one is all stickered up, whereas the battroid one has no stickers.

Anoher way to tell is that if you look closely you can see the battroid is missing it's wing lights, where as the fighter mode has the wing lights.

Graham

I was about to say the exact same thing Graham said. So yup boys, NO parts swapping! You can tell, look at the shield in battroid mode. That area near the chestplate is hidden in fighter mode. Clever!

And the mishmash is what I like about this design.....definitely bridges the gap between concenventional fighters to variable fighters.

If the pitot is not removable, yamato faces 2 obstacles.

1-Risk droopage by using PVC as this part is thin and likely to break.(easy to snap off I imagine)

2-Risk breakage by using ABS since it will eliminate droopage but prone to being snapped off.

It's not like the gerwalk antenna on the 1/48 where they could just leave it droopy over time since by it was just an antenna which does not necesarily need to stay straight all the time. A pitot tube however, NEEDS to be.

Diecast has no affect on magnets.  Diecast is zinc.  Regardless of if the legs are diecast, styrene, ABS, or whatever, there must be separate magnets embedded in the legs to attract the FAST pack magnets.

345482[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? I just got a hard drive magnet to stick to the leg of my 1/55 Bandai, unless the 1/55 doesn't use true die-cast.

Are you sure about that?  I just got a hard drive magnet to stick to the leg of my 1/55 Bandai, unless the 1/55 doesn't use true die-cast.

345873[/snapback]

Funny, magnets don't stick to the diecast on my bandai reissue. Magnets shouldn't stick to zinc. If you can get your hands on a Toynami, the magnets definitely stick due to opposing magnets, not to the zinc.

And the mishmash is what I like about this design.....definitely bridges the gap between concenventional fighters to variable fighters.

I guess what bugged me was the stealth-like angles on the wings and canopy edge, but yet the intake/leg corners are right angles and blocky- much blockier than the VF-1. It would have been cool if they were angled in a bit, a la the F/A-22. I guess the blockiness helps hide the arms in fighter mode, which the 1/48 VF-1 fails miserably at.

I will say that although chunkier than lineart, I still think it looks great. And I don't think the head sticks out any more than the 1/48 VF-1S. It's too bad my wife is smart enough to know the diff between a VF-1 and VF-0, if a new toy were to magically appear on the shelf in place of the 1/48. I should stop talking valks in front of her :p .

Edited by ghostryder

Man, I really really hope they announce a 0D and 0A... I just finished Mac0 and am super psyched about this toy now... I'm gonna have to do up a really beat up one from teh last episode... and hopefully we'll get a ghost booster addon set...

One thing I may have missed, were the FAST packs ever actually shown in the anime? I don't recall noticing them.

you'll have to count me out on this 1/60. $150 is by far too much money for a small model, as Yamato tends to flood the market and stop producing and then restart producing with a couple improvements and reflood the market once again. I'm going to wait and see if the price shaves off $100 down to 50 over time. They've got to be nuts. I could understand if it was a 1/48.

you'll have to count me out on this 1/60.  $150 is by far too much money for a small model, as Yamato tends to flood the market and stop producing and then restart producing with a couple improvements and reflood the market once again.   I'm going to wait and see if the price shaves off $100 down to 50 over time.  They've got to be nuts.  I could understand if it was a 1/48.

346124[/snapback]

You do realise that the 1/60 VF-0S is actually larger than a 1/48 don't you?

1/48 VF-1 = 30cm in fighter mode

1/60 VF-0 = 32cm in fighter mode

The VF-0 is a big bird, far larger than the VF-1.

Graham

you'll have to count me out on this 1/60.  $150 is by far too much money for a small model, as Yamato tends to flood the market and stop producing and then restart producing with a couple improvements and reflood the market once again.  I'm going to wait and see if the price shaves off $100 down to 50 over time.  They've got to be nuts.  I could understand if it was a 1/48.

346124[/snapback]

Graham

346137[/snapback]

That's the XXth time graham had to bring up that point~ :lol:

you'll have to count me out on this 1/60.  $150 is by far too much money for a small model, as Yamato tends to flood the market and stop producing and then restart producing with a couple improvements and reflood the market once again.   I'm going to wait and see if the price shaves off $100 down to 50 over time.  They've got to be nuts.  I could understand if it was a 1/48.

346124[/snapback]

Graham

346137[/snapback]

:blink: No, I did not know that. Thanks Graham, I may have to reconsider. I thought the VF-0 was the same size as a VF-1S.

346124[/snapback]

Graham

346137[/snapback]

:blink: No, I did not know that. Thanks Graham, I may have to reconsider. I thought the VF-0 was the same size as a VF-1S.

346325[/snapback]

Yeah, the sizes are deceiving if you're not used to think in terms of relative scales. To put the relative sizes in a real world context, the VF-0 is about the size of a F-14 Tomcat or F-15 Eagle, while the VF-1 is more akin to a F-16 Falcon or AV-8B Harrier II in size...the Zero is a much bigger bird than the VF-1. And to really blow your mind, a SV-51 would be bigger than a SU-27 Flanker... that's gargantuan.

Edited by mechaninac

As long as yamato positions the wings in mid sweep(which I doubt they will but who knows, since they like to have it at near full sweep for display purposes I believe) the box should be a lot less wider. That could cut some shipping costs by a bit and I know tam and kev would love this. The VF-0 for the most part is seen near full sweep forward so I dunno I guess that is how they will position this. The 1/48 could have had a much smaller box with the wings swept all the way back, but this would not look as impressive on the shelf, and yamato probably places on shelf appearance to be important. Its all about presentation I guess.

i know this won't happen but they could make the boxes trapezoids and have less unused space. Then accesories , missiles could go under the plane or some other variation. <_<

yes its definately more impressive with wings extendedand able to see each accessory. :p

O__O yeah... it's really big for a VF when it comes for one thing: "a Pilot"

If looking carefully for a Pilot-size and a VF size... the VF-0, YF-21/19 are much bigger than the VF-1.

^,^' my point of view that is in mind.

Lets just hope the box isn't going to be larger. Running out of space. I am thinking of collapsing the boxes into neat piles of flat cardboard.

346372[/snapback]

Done that already. Plus you should stack the pieces of plastic.

Don't feel bad because you are not alone. I still do not understand the number concept. Why....well, isn't 1/60 means smaller than the 1/48? So why is the 1/60 bigger than the 1/48 VF-1 series? <_<

346124[/snapback]

Graham

346137[/snapback]

346325[/snapback]