Thundercats

Keith

Thanks for posting that D. I agree with Keith that the contrast in handling the two properties are polarizing. They even addressed A1's concern about the planet's population. This is the kind of care that should go into adapting an old property. Will it work? Not sure. But at least I know they're trying. I have a good feeling though.

When does it start??? Can't wait!

So, with this reboot, Thundera is a realm/city-state of Third Earth and not its own world, and at this point it is unclear if Third Earth is the proverbial third rock from the Sun, or an analog like Avatar: The Last Airbender's planet (of course, if later on they have an episode featuring Merlin and Excalibur, as in the original Thundercats, then we'll know for sure).

I like what I've seen so far and am looking forward to when this debuts around August/September (they did mention late summer). I like the look of the new characters since they don't look like a review of body builders... Panthro notwithstanding, and Cheetara looks good in both versions.

I'll still need a bit of time to get used to the new character designs (yes, the 80's bodybuilders thing was over the top, but that's nostalgia goggles for you), but all in all I'm impressed as well

I think what 'bothers' me most about the designs is the lack of a snout, it's more like they have a regular nose

Silly, I know

They never really had a snout, but they do have long noses that makes their faces long. The design is a bit off to me too, especially the Thunderclaw but I'll gladly trade those things in for what looks like an interesting storyline and developed characters. The Wiley Kittens tidbit looked really good along with the central stuff.

But if you miss the old designs like me, here's some news about some old skool stuff...

http://www.poeghostal.com/2011/07/toys-r-us-announces-sdcc-exclusives.html

thundercats1medium1309769808.jpg

They never really had a snout

I know, which is why I think it's silly that for some reason it only bothers me (a little bit) with the new designs, while it never did for the old ones

Should've clarified a bit perhaps

And that looks quite interesting, might have to set aside some money...

July 29.

I know what you mean about this being the first US animation (US produced and directed, but I'm sure the animation itself was contracted out to some Korean or Japanese studio) since Avatar worth looking forward to; heck, the animation's style, detail, and fluidity even seem on par with that of Avatar's... I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same studio that did the work on that is also doing this new series. Now here's hoping that CN will do for Thundercats the same that Nickelodeon did for The Last Air Bender and not cancell it midstream. This show seems so well developed and fresh that it deserves a full run.

July 29.

I know what you mean about this being the first US animation (US produced and directed, but I'm sure the animation itself was contracted out to some Korean or Japanese studio) since Avatar worth looking forward to; heck, the animation's style, detail, and fluidity even seem on par with that of Avatar's... I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same studio that did the work on that is also doing this new series. Now here's hoping that CN will do for Thundercats the same that Nickelodeon did for The Last Air Bender and not cancell it midstream. This show seems so well developed and fresh that it deserves a full run.

That first footage actually reminded me of Avatar for some reason, not sure why or if it's the same animation studio though

I haven't looked forward to an American produced cartoon for awhile now and after seeing that video clip I can see this series was put into the right hands. :) +1 for Snarf not talking and being useful. +2 for fluid, vivid animation and solid voice acting. And finally another brownie point for using Lion-O's old voice actor. I think I can now wear my Thundercats shirt a little more proudly. B))

This looks really good. I can't wait for the premier. I wonder if we'll see grun the destroyer. I also wonder if the reptilians and other animal races were treated as slaves by the cats.

Now THAT is very promissing! It means that the work should be top notch and consistent throughout the series's run. And it does have a link to Avatar: The Last Airbender... at least on the producing side.

Thanks for taking the time to dig up the information.

July 29.

thanks! and yeah, i meant US produced animated series.

it's been a while since Avatar finished so I'm really looking forward to watching an animated series where I won't have to read any subtitles.

thunder, thunder, thundercats YO!

If this comes out, I'm going to write a song to get it on the soundtrack. I'll call it "Swagger Like a Thundercat" or some crappy title like that. The tag line will be "I shake my swagger like a Thundercat, Hoe!" Whatcha think?

Anyways, I'm likin the previews of this show, and I'm totally wanting to see this. This is probably how most of the cartoons that are out now should do things. It appears to have a more serious approach, and geared for kids, and for the people who grew up watching these. It's not dumbed down, at least it seems, which is great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, with this reboot, Thundera is a realm/city-state of Third Earth and not its own world, and at this point it is unclear if Third Earth is the proverbial third rock from the Sun, or an analog like Avatar: The Last Airbender's planet (of course, if later on they have an episode featuring Merlin and Excalibur, as in the original Thundercats, then we'll know for sure).

I like what I've seen so far and am looking forward to when this debuts around August/September (they did mention late summer). I like the look of the new characters since they don't look like a review of body builders... Panthro notwithstanding, and Cheetara looks good in both versions.

Don't forget the feudal Japanese hero Hachiman!

I went into the series with a few reservations, but finding out that Madhouse was behind the series and Will Friedle (Terry McGinnis/Batman in Batman Beyond) as Lion-O got me hooked. I espicially liked Episode 3, where the entire episode was an homage to Moby Dick. Cheetarah does look better animated than she does in that character shot that was shown earlier in this thread. I also especially like the nod to the original series by haveing the actor who did the voice of the original Lion-O be that of the King in this series. I also recognize Groon (Lex Luthor, Superman the Animated Series; Silas, Transformers Prime) and Panthro's (Bulkhead, Transformers Prime).

A little off topic, but I swear that Jim Cummings did the voice for that red Decepticon sports car in TFP (okay, I'm not sure on this one).

Edited by Wanzerfan

• 2 weeks later...

Oops. I thought Madhouse was responsible for the new ThunderCats. Turns out they're responsibe for the new Iron Man and Wolverine anime (They went Jackman style for Wolverine, which is meh, in my opinion, I'm used to the one who's squat and built like a brick shithouse).

The animation on the new version is good, maybe better than the Rankin-Bass version. It's hard to believe that the Rankin-Bass version had full frontal nudity in it; can someone pull my mind out of the gutter, please?