Thundercats

Keith

For those interested, Thundercats Season 1 Vol 1 just game out today. It's a 6 disc set containing the first 34 episodes of the series. By the looks of it, there will probably be 4 box's total, the next one not being out until December. I've only glanced at the disc's, but the video quality seems pretty good, a few specs & there, but nothing major, and it holds up pretty well. The box is cool too, has the same type of lenticolor card that the Macross box has (only attached to the front instead of free floating). Only downside is that there's only 1 chapter per episode, but that's livable.

Does anyone know where I can find the outtakes from Thundercats. Back when I worked for a dotcom we received a link to them and it got the whole company cracking up. To just your memory, it's got Panthro's voice actor admitting he's hungover, and somebody esle asking "what the f**k is a thermoplexer?" Oh man, it's good times.

Does anyone know where I can find the outtakes from Thundercats.  Back when I worked for a dotcom we received a link to them and it got the whole company cracking up.  To just your memory, it's got Panthro's voice actor admitting he's hungover, and somebody esle asking "what the f**k is a thermoplexer?"  Oh man, it's good times.

318919[/snapback]

I had a couple of those with Lion-o years ago, forgot where I got them though, and lost them in an old HD crash...bastards.

Does anyone know where I can find the outtakes from Thundercats.  Back when I worked for a dotcom we received a link to them and it got the whole company cracking up.  To just your memory, it's got Panthro's voice actor admitting he's hungover, and somebody esle asking "what the f**k is a thermoplexer?"  Oh man, it's good times.

318919[/snapback]

I've got them on disc somewhere I think... and it was funny enough that I remember exactly how that part went!

Panthro actor: "and keep your foot off that blasted sammoflange!!"

Lion-o actor: *moment of confusion, obviously out of character* ".... what the fu(k is a SAMMOflange!?"

*confusion ensues*

Pantro actor: *sigh* I have to do that one again.....

I could listen to that for hours!

"Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form...into Monrah...the ever...living!" I've always loved this invocation. :)

Other than some choppy animation in spots, and incredibly stilted dialogue, the show was pretty good for most of its run...it got progressively lamer towards the last season. Compared to its contemporaries, however, it held its own...GI Joe, Transformers, He-man, etc. were no better, and often much worse depending on what floated your boat as a kid.

For those interested, Thundercats Season 1 Vol 1 just game out today. It's a 6 disc set containing the first 34 episodes of the series. By the looks of it, there will probably be 4 box's total, the next one not being out until December. I've only glanced at the disc's, but the video quality seems pretty good, a few specs & there, but nothing major, and it holds up pretty well. The box is cool too, has the same type of lenticolor card that the Macross box has (only attached to the front instead of free floating). Only downside is that there's only 1 chapter per episode, but that's livable.

318911[/snapback]

Does the set include the original hour long uncut pilot? It actually had the Thundercats hitting the mutants instead of hitting near them. It was later heavily edited into 2 episodes, Exodus and something else, with all the violence edited out.

318911[/snapback]

Does the set include the original hour long uncut pilot? It actually had the Thundercats hitting the mutants instead of hitting near them. It was later heavily edited into 2 episodes, Exodus and something else, with all the violence edited out.

318998[/snapback]

So far it looks like the two seperate episodes, but I haven't watched them yet, so I'll post later.

SNARF SNARF

T-cats is one of those shows that could really entertain me as a kid, but now I could never watch it. Its kind of like when I watched the A-Team recently. I was SO dissapointed. I just remembered it to be so awesome, but thats 'cause I was a kid. Now its just stupid.

SNARF SNARF

T-cats is one of those shows that could really entertain me as a kid, but now I could never watch it.  Its kind of like when I watched the A-Team recently.  I was SO dissapointed.  I just remembered it to be so awesome, but thats 'cause I was a kid.  Now its just stupid.

319013[/snapback]

The memories of a show you enjoyed as a kid are always better than the reality of re-watching the same thing as an adult. While you have changed, matured, and become more discriminating, those shows have remained the same putrid garbage they always were; very few programs that we all watched as kids have aged gracefully, specially Saturday morning cartoons and '80s adventure shows. I, for one, cannot sit through "The A-Team", "MacGyver", "Air Wolf", "Miami Vice", etc. nowadays...they bore me to tears. It sucks growing up!

you mean there were actually 34 episodes? More? One thing that killed the Thundercats for me as a kid was that it always seemed like they were showing re-runs of the same episodes over and over[then again, now that I think of it; when you're running a show through a 13 wk season, x5 eps a wk, it won't take long to run out of material]. Well, that and after a while, you just gotta get tired of fighting the same decrepid old mummy week in and week out.

I guess the Silverhawks will come out on DVD shortly thereafter?

you mean there were actually 34 episodes?  More?  One thing that killed the Thundercats for me as a kid was that it always seemed like they were showing re-runs of the same episodes over and over[then again, now that I think of it; when you're running a show through a 13 wk season, x5 eps a wk, it won't take long to run out of material].  Well, that and after a while, you just gotta get tired of fighting the same decrepid old mummy week in and week out. 

I guess the Silverhawks will come out on DVD shortly thereafter?

319047[/snapback]

There were apparently 130 episodes, though I know I never caught anywhere near half either, probably more to do with bouncing the show around timeslots (5-6 in the morning was the hardest for me to catch).

So far I've watched the first episode, and it's still fun. Definately easier than watching the first season of Transformers again (though it does pick up by the Second season), animation also holds up nicely. It does look like they're using the 2 seperate episode edit instead of the hour pilot, but with 4 box sets, it may still pop up as an extra.

As for Silverhawks, unless the Thundercats release schedule picks up, I wouldn't expect it for atleast a year.

Keith, how old are you?  I am just wondering, if this is nostalga for you, or are you really into it?

319069[/snapback]

27, and I'm about the most anti-nostalgic you can get. I am a U.S. born Macross fan don't forget, and we're brought up to see past nostalgia (robotech) and aim for the true quality (Macross).

I remember when this show was on TV. I also remember how I thought the opening animation was kickass but the actual animation in the show was just "ass". I could never stomach this show back then... then again I was in my teens when it was on and the plodding stilted dialogue (which was bad even for an '80s kid's show) just wore hard on me.

... plus I can never get over those '80s shows that only had one girl. "Smurfette Syndrome" was rampant back then. Makes you wonder sometimes... either Cheetara was getting plowed more than the village crops or the Thunder Cats where all a little... ahem... you know...

I always thought Cheetarah was Tygra's chick...

The whole women thing was solved when they found that whole village of young nubile warrior women. To think the future of earth and the only survivors are robobears and amazons... (*starts to build time machine*)

and I always wondered why they talked the way they did.

Keith, how old are you?  I am just wondering, if this is nostalga for you, or are you really into it?

319069[/snapback]

27, and I'm about the most anti-nostalgic you can get. I am a U.S. born Macross fan don't forget, and we're brought up to see past nostalgia (robotech) and aim for the true quality (Macross).

319329[/snapback]

Well in that case, what the hell do you see in Thundercats. If you are over 8 years old it just sucks.

Thundercats sucked when it was on television, and it still sucks. Sorry, but I could never get into this show or its cousin, Silverhawks.

319368[/snapback]

At least they weren't as bad as Tigersharks.

319412[/snapback]

:o How did you remember that lame show? Thats right up there with Captain Planet and Centurions.

:o How did you remember that lame show? Thats right up there with Captain Planet and Centurions.

319414[/snapback]

I also remember that Tigersharks was part of Rankin-Bass' ill-fated cartoon show The Comic Strip, which also included Street Frogs, Karate Kat and Mini-Monsters.

SNARF SNARF

T-cats is one of those shows that could really entertain me as a kid, but now I could never watch it.  Its kind of like when I watched the A-Team recently.  I was SO dissapointed.  I just remembered it to be so awesome, but thats 'cause I was a kid.  Now its just stupid.

319013[/snapback]

Same thing I was thinkin. I walked into a import toy store today and they had the box set playing. I cringed when I heard the theme song. I thought: "Wait, this used to be entertaining for me when I was a little kid, but now I feel embarassed."

Good thing that has not happened with Macross.

Thundercats sucked when it was on television, and it still sucks. Sorry, but I could never get into this show or its cousin, Silverhawks.

319368[/snapback]

At least they weren't as bad as Tigersharks.

319412[/snapback]

319414[/snapback]

Jeebus, Captain Planet was horrid stuff. Whoever came up with that show needs a swift kick in the teeth.