Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

In Retrospect, the movie seems far more Beast Wars inspired than it does G1, which isn't a bad thing, since BW had more of a cohesive story. Megatron specifically looks a lot like Dinobot.

In Retrospect, the movie seems far more Beast Wars inspired than it does G1, which isn't a bad thing, since BW had more of a cohesive story.

Beast Wars introduced lots of concepts to Transformers, to which I'm still debating on whether they had relevance in the movie.

The way I see it and I still havent seen it ; only 17 days till I can :( is every new rehash of the TF`s is just another Alt universe of the TF`s. Just like the original is/was an alt of our universe. Now this is something Gundam has successfull pulled of for years and I would now seen the Macross is gonna do the same. So why not TF`s Eaither way TF`s has always been a big toy comercial. So the sooner the large car and vehical manufacturers see that the sooner they will start quing up to put their products into the sequal.

Afterall if James Bond films are now all about product placement and you can get films like Driven which was one big product placement advert with a bit of acting and CGI in between. Then why shouldnt the TF`s benifit form some of this action too.

Edited by big F

One of my only complaints about this movie, besides the shaky dodgey camerawork that made a lot of the action a bit confused, was that they never, to my memory, described why these giant robots turn into cars.

I know, "that's what transformers DO!" But since they felt the need to describe everything else about the plot through exposition, why didn't they tell me why a giant alien robot would want to look like a 2nd generation F-body?

I've seen it now.

LOT better than it has any right to be, really.

But most of the first third of the movie could be completely removed and it would improve the film greatly, as well as leaving more room for gunfights.

Starscream needed more than 1 line(2 if we count his cybertronic language line) and a dogfight, even if it WAS the best action sequence in the film, IMO.

The designs still look like traffic accidents and the squishies have far more attention than they need.

I still want Grimlock to step on Micheal Bay, but thats mainly on principle. The movie is damn fun once it gets moving.

Here's hoping the next movie stays away from the humans and leaves the focus on giant robots kicking the crap out of each other.

Here's hoping not. I think the idea that Transformers should be about the robots and nothing else is rather overrated. Sure, characters like Spine and Daniel in the tv series, and presumably the kids in the Japanese imported shows, are terrible, but they don't need to be. I personally wasn't bothered by the human characters in this movie. I do hope they manage it while expanding more on the story behind the Transformers, though. Preferably with a director who knows how to make characters more than wooden puppets to jabber between action scenes.

I think that the majority of the opinions here think that while not perfect, it's a decent start that can be built upon for future iterations? I would love to see more! I think with a bigger budget, they could make the CG scenes clearer and maybe even simplify the designs a little. I would love for Bay to maybe sneak a VF-1 in there for a second if he could get it past HG's lawyers... then again here's to hoping HG won't be around much longer. ^_^

Here's hoping not. I think the idea that Transformers should be about the robots and nothing else is rather overrated. Sure, characters like Spine and Daniel in the tv series, and presumably the kids in the Japanese imported shows, are terrible, but they don't need to be. I personally wasn't bothered by the human characters in this movie. I do hope they manage it while expanding more on the story behind the Transformers, though. Preferably with a director who knows how to make characters more than wooden puppets to jabber between action scenes.

There were too MANY humans was the main problem(with the secondary problem being that a lot of them were failing to be funny, or just annoying in general).

It almost ceased to be a movie about Transformers and became a movie about a teenager blowing up a massive government conspiracy that just happened to have a few robots in it. But then Megatron got loose.

As it was, half the Transformers were props. 2 Decepticons never even speak(save 1-line introductions in Cybertronian), a fan favorite has ONE line of dialog(again ignoring the 1-line of intro text), Ratchet does jack squat(unless I missed him in the fight...), and Jazz exists only to die.

Can you honestly say the movie benefitted in any way from dedicating 20 minutes to the governemnt-hired hackers trying to ID Frenzy by listening to a recording of him hacking the Pentagon?

Aside from the raw idiocy of the "technical" aspects(Seriously, it's not the 80s anymore. Can we at least TRY for vaguely believable computer plots?), it was worthless drivel that went nowhere and did nothing for the movie.

That entire subplot could've been scrapped and the movie would be better for it.

About half of the Sector Seven stuff could be shaved out without doing anything but speeding the story up.

I'm not saying the next movie should be one giant scrapmetal blastfest, but I hope it's a tighter movie.

And yes, I hope it has more and better robot violence too. Give the humans relevance, but don't marginalize the title characters to do it.

I agree the entire hacker bit could have been cut, and the movie would have benefited greatly. That's not what you said, however.

Here's hoping the next movie stays away from the humans and leaves the focus on giant robots kicking the crap out of each other.

Which echoes a lot of peoples' comments that the movies/shows/comics/et all should be entirely about space robots shooting and pummeling each other. At that point, you might as well make it entirely CG, if you ask me. Why even bother bringing them to earth?

However, if that's not what you meant, then I think we agree. I do think the TFs needed more character developement, and shaving some unnecessary scenes and subtplots could have helped that a lot. This is why I also hope the sequels have a better director at the helm, and a better screenplay to highlight the characters (human and Cybertronian) as all the important characters in this movie went horribly neglected in the personality department. Sam got the most attention, and I even think he should have, however that's not to say it was handled well.

Like Max said, it wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyably. I do hope they build on it and aspire to better things. Just going against the flow with my 2 cents that all the human characters should not be written out entirely, or marginalized entirely.

I don't think the movie was crap, and I don't believe it was really good either. It was entertaining so as far as I see it achieved its goal. I could sit here and nitpick its flaws all day... not worth the time or effort.

TF movie B-

Rob :ph34r:

the movie was garbage. Dead or Alive was better.

Only redeeming scene was the hidden anal sex scene between Burny Mak and the Maygin Focks after the ending credits

isamu = hooray for trolls. I thought Macrossworld was more mature than that.

There were too MANY humans was the main problem(with the secondary problem being that a lot of them were failing to be funny, or just annoying in general).
Personally, I like having the human characters. TF always had human characters to help balance the story and sell it to new audiences. Before I saw the film, I was afraid it was going to be like ID4 or Deep Impact, or Armageddon or that film with the boat where they tell the life stories of the human characters, but was pleasantly surprised that they involved Sam with Bumblebee right away, even if we don't clearly see that he's a Transformer until sometime later.

I think the main reason there's so much human elements in the movie is they were introducing Transformers for the very first time to a much wider audience (of overwealmingly non-genre fans), an audience who may already be skeptical of its high-concept premise.

Ratchet does jack squat(unless I missed him in the fight...)
When Jazz attacked Brawl, Ratchet used his buzzsaw to slice off the tank's left arm. Then later he's trying to fight Starscream using his repeater gun, and protect Sam, but gets his ass kicked.

Can you honestly say the movie benefitted in any way from dedicating 20 minutes to the governemnt-hired hackers trying to ID Frenzy by listening to a recording of him hacking the Pentagon?

Aside from the raw idiocy of the "technical" aspects(Seriously, it's not the 80s anymore. Can we at least TRY for vaguely believable computer plots?), it was worthless drivel that went nowhere and did nothing for the movie.

That entire subplot could've been scrapped and the movie would be better for it.

I tend to agree. I believe even Roberto Orci agreed to a point after seeing the finished product.

The aussie chick was hot, though, and I loved Glen's donuts scene.

but was pleasantly surprised that they involved Sam with Bumblebee right away, even if we don't clearly see that he's a Transformer until sometime later.

My all-time favourite scene from that movie has to be Bumblebee "helping" Sam with various music selections. Utter hilarity. ^_^

Edited by CoryHolmes

I saw the movie last night at the drive in and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see what they do with it next but I would like to see more of the bots and less human story line. Watching it took me back to my childhood :)

I agree the entire hacker bit could have been cut, and the movie would have benefited greatly. That's not what you said, however.

Which echoes a lot of peoples' comments that the movies/shows/comics/et all should be entirely about space robots shooting and pummeling each other. At that point, you might as well make it entirely CG, if you ask me. Why even bother bringing them to earth?

However, if that's not what you meant, then I think we agree. I do think the TFs needed more character developement, and shaving some unnecessary scenes and subtplots could have helped that a lot. This is why I also hope the sequels have a better director at the helm, and a better screenplay to highlight the characters (human and Cybertronian) as all the important characters in this movie went horribly neglected in the personality department. Sam got the most attention, and I even think he should have, however that's not to say it was handled well.

Like Max said, it wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyably. I do hope they build on it and aspire to better things. Just going against the flow with my 2 cents that all the human characters should not be written out entirely, or marginalized entirely.

Yeah.... that wasn't quite what I meant. I just meant that the balance was WAY too skewed in one direction, and if it HAS to be skewed all the way to one side, I'd rather it was skewed towards the Transformers than the humans.

If nothing else you need humans to remind everyone the Transformers are huge(unless they're a comic relief blender that turns into a bargin-brand boombox...). Giant robots beating each other up in space isn't near as fun.

The movie was a first in a line of movies.

It's like almost every other first in a series. It explains where everyone is from, why they are there, who they are friends with, etc. The story line usually has potential but there is something that blocks it from shining.

I too agree that the entire hacking thing could have been skipped, it was about 15-20 total minutes of useless crap that didn't even amount to them stopping the 'cons from getting the important info or from moving forward in the slightest.

Cut it some slack and wait for the sequel. It will do what most sequels do, shine.

The movie was a first in a line of movies.

It's like almost every other first in a series. It explains where everyone is from, why they are there, who they are friends with, etc. The story line usually has potential but there is something that blocks it from shining.

I too agree that the entire hacking thing could have been skipped, it was about 15-20 total minutes of useless crap that didn't even amount to them stopping the 'cons from getting the important info or from moving forward in the slightest.

Cut it some slack and wait for the sequel. It will do what most sequels do, shine.

I thought usually the first one was the best and it was downhill from there.

Not that I expect that this time.

I thought usually the first one was the best and it was downhill from there.

Not that I expect that this time.

There are movies in the past where the sequel was better than the first. T2, Aliens.... T2 and Aliens... nevermind.

There are movies in the past where the sequel was better than the first. T2, Aliens.... T2 and Aliens... nevermind.

It ain't much, but I can easily double that list:

* Empire Strikes Back

* X2

Can't forget Stark Trek 2: Wrath of Kahn :). I'd go as far saying Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as sequels to the start of the prequel trilogy, Episode 1.

Dammit!!! How could I have forgotten KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!

Guess my Trek fandom has been waning for the past few years.

Also, we should probably get the thread back on topic.

.......Okay other than a few too many tattoos, Megan Fox = Hot. :p

Apparently Megan is something of a comic book fan - IIRC, during some premiere event a comic site interviewed her and she talked about some rather non-mainstream and (to most people), fairly obscure topics such as the work of Michael Turner, the comic book Fathom and Image.

On the subject of Star Trek, the writers of this movie will also be writing the new Trek film.

Roberto better keep in a scene where Scotty suffers from the delusion that his engines are capable of handling the operation for which they were designed, and indeed, may explode at any moment! *shakes fist*

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I really enjoyed the movie despite it's obvious flaws. I would have liked to see more bot action, but I'm sure they had to balance all the action with human drama/comedy to draw in the average movie-goer. At least, the interaction with humans wasn't as lame as it is in all the newer cartoon series. With the CG technology already established, I'm sure a sequel will have more going on and introduce new characters (hopefully, the Autobots will be more diverse than just cars ... Jetifre, anyone?!) I hope the DVD release is crammed full of deleted scenes.

I enjoyed it a lot. Frenzy was better than expected, reminded me of a gremlin on crack!

Loved the bit when the protoforms came to Earth, and the introduction of the autobots. Could have done with more interactions between the Decepticons though the scene between Megs and Starscream was classic Transformers.

That scene when SS took down the F-22s made me wish for more in the sequel...

wouldn't it be great if Jetfire was in the next movie, and he just happened to scan a retired F-14? Jetfire vs SS, F-14 vs F-22... the closest we'd get to live action macross zero/plus!

I know this may not mean anything coming from me

But ...

The sequel movie IMO dose require an Autobot Flier they may not have a lot of Autobots to choose from the G1 series but the Two earliest ones i remember is Powerglide ( The A10 would be closet suggestible aircraft i can think of ) and of course Skyfire ( Proberly any current Afterburner Jet ).

Also off topic can't help just wonder what Kawamori would of done to the design of the movie Starscream

sorry i just couldn't get it out of my head :wacko::unsure:

I know Bad Variblefighterfan!!!!

No, no, no. The first sequel needs to have the combiners, specifically the Constructicons/Devastator.

The one thing I'm really not that fond of in this movie is how easily they whacked Megatron. Unless they come up with some amazing Deus Ex Machina to bring him back, I don't see how any sequel Decepticons will measure up without.

No, no, no. The first sequel needs to have the combiners, specifically the Constructicons/Devastator.

The one thing I'm really not that fond of in this movie is how easily they whacked Megatron. Unless they come up with some amazing Deus Ex Machina to bring him back, I don't see how any sequel Decepticons will measure up without.

Well Devestator is a tank in this so oh well for that idea. I doubt there will be gestalts as long as Bay stays at the healm.

Megatron can be replaced... either he gets reformed by the allspark and powered up to Galvatron...

Shockwave comes in to replace him...

Bludgeon

Scorpanok

Or any of the other Decepticon on Destron leaders, there's more to draw on.

It ain't much, but I can easily double that list:

* Empire Strikes Back

* X2

They have this debate in Scream 2... Empire Strikes Back dosn't count because it was "part of a trilogy complete and planned"

edit: sorry for the double post.

Edited by lord_breetai

They have this debate in Scream 2... Empire Strikes Back dosn't count because it was "part of a trilogy complete and planned"

edit: sorry for the double post.

bah, does anyone believe lucas and his " I had it all planned!" story any longer? I don't.

bah, does anyone believe lucas and his " I had it all planned!" story any longer? I don't.

The original Trilogy yes... he originally submitted it was one big movie, but it was too long so he broke up and expanded on the first act. And judging by the fact that the Episode IV was added in pretty soon after the original release, it's rather obvious that he planned on 6 parts by the time he got to Empire. But obviously he didn't put too much thought into the first three at that time (yeah they'll be about Luke's dad turning evil. yeah!) but I doubt there was much more then that... with the contraditions retcons and barely patched together explanations... but the original trilogy... of course he planned that.