Robotech used in a Public Service Announcement

Just read this on ANN website about five minutes ago and it makes me mad.

In honor of the United Nations' 60th anniversary this year, the United Nations (UN) will debut a special Public Service Announcement (PSA) at MIP TV 2005 courtesy of Harmony Gold. The PSA features characters from Harmony Gold's classic anime series "Robotech".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harmony Gold announced it's creating a 60-second public service announcement(PSA) to increase awareness of the work of the United Nations(UN) in preperation for the 60th opening session of the UN General Assembly this Fall. The PSA features characters from Harmony Gold's classic anime series "Robotech" making it the first animated PSA for the UN. The UN and Harmony Gold will begin distributing the spot at MIP TV 2005 and it will additionally be available for viewing on the www.robotech.com website.

The PSA's theme is United Nations. It's our future. The PSA closes with:

"Together you can do this,

together you can succeed,

together you will survive...

There are many voices,

but it is all one world...

a world where there is a need for peace,

now... and in the future..."

As if Harmony Gold doesn't feel arrogant enough at keeping consumers from buying Macross related goods in the US, they are now trying to push their twisted form of anime down the throats of others in foreign countries. The first thought which comes to mind when someone familiar with Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada shows on TV is "What is this Robotech, and why are they calling (add title) Robotech?"

Just one more reason Harmony Gold needs to get flushed down the toilet.

"If you believe that the United States is the world's only hope for freedom, NOT the United Nations, then YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN!"

- The one and only, the Greatest... Arnold Schwarzenegger

dammit wheres my space ship so I can start a colony on mars where only macross is worship, then in 1000 years attack earth to relized RT is long forgotten.

Then we will invade with our Valkyries-kus and they have their Veritech-dams.

And as a coupe de grace, we will SDF-drop their puny planet. :lol:

dammit wheres my space ship so I can start a colony on mars where only macross is worship, then in 1000 years attack earth to relized RT is long forgotten.

Then we will invade with our Valkyries-kus and they have their Veritech-dams.

And as a coupe de grace, we will SDF-drop their puny planet. :lol:

coarse everyone likes a colony drop. who needs bombs while we can drop giant RVs on earth.

As if Harmony Gold doesn't feel arrogant enough at keeping consumers from buying Macross related goods in the US, they are now trying to push their twisted form of anime down the throats of others in foreign countries. The first thought which comes to mind when someone familiar with Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada shows on TV is "What is this Robotech, and why are they calling (add title) Robotech?"

Just one more reason Harmony Gold needs to get flushed down the toilet.

I hate to disappoint you but not as many foreigners will go "WTF when they see the footage and the titile Robotech." I know the series has had exposure outside of the United States.

Am I the only that finds it sad that UN is referencing a crappy 80s show, with a plot that will never happen?

What's worse is you got Michael Douglas and Sean Connery involved in this.....right........Sean Connery whose currently in a big legal battle over being a fat, bad mouth, rude bastard to his neighbors who have ALOT of damage done to their end of the building he lives in due to his ongoing renovation.

But still....UN.......blah.....all these nations thinking they wanna try and keep peace a reality..... <_< established after a great war which killed countless hundreds of millions of people.....they sure are doing a GREAT JOB! .........suxx0rz.

Um, you do realize the original Robotech was aired in a number of foreign countries, right?

And you'd feel better if Macross was used in a PSA for the UN?

Of course. It uses the magic "M" word, which is as good as gold. It can do no wrong, and everything it touches is pure and perfect.

Personally, I don't think the UN should mess with either. It's kinda like having David Spade host some award show for videogames... it's one of those things that the guys in suits think is "cool" that really just comes off as lame. But if you have to chose between one or the other, it's always better to go with the original than the horribly spliced and bastardized knock-off.

HG sucks, the UN sucks. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

If you put it that way, it does kind of make sense.

"If you believe that the United States is the world's only hope for freedom, NOT the United Nations, then YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN!"

Hate to admit it, but I'm with AOne and Arnie. Especially if Hillary runs in 2008 *shudders*.

Back on track guys, too political and this gets locked.

Graham

Yessir!

So... actually... I was kind of thinking it'd be better if they used Voltron instead of Robotech. Everyone likes Voltron.

I think the UN does not need PSA's... they mess things up enough without outside help.

Hitler's henchmen: "D'ah, we knew that!"

U.N. Leader stares at them coldly.

Hitler's men commit suicide, and Daffy Duck jumps around crazy w/his signature laugh.

*Some of you Bugs Funny fans should know this episode (minuse the U.N. reference) before classic Bugs Bunny cartoons started getting politically correct.

Edited by Dangaioh

I'm confused. The Uniteds Nations, Harmony Gold and Robotech Characters? I don't see the connection.

Like Graham I'm gonna join the Anti-UN. May our leader King Arnold of the Empire of California and the leader of the Anti-UN Alliance lead us to victory.

I'm confused. The Uniteds Nations, Harmony Gold and Robotech Characters? I don't see the connection.

The clues are in macross zero:

Project iconclasm: The UN will destroy whatever it can't have to prevent the enemy from having it and taking control. At the expense of innocent people and peaceful cultures who wish t be left alone.

Harmony Gold: HG will destroy whatever it can't have to prevent the enemy from having it and taking control. At the expense of innocent fans who miss out on macross goodies.

Robotech Characters: The failed human experiment that shouldn't have lived so long but survived because there are people who still cling on to it so it can't be euthanised and die humanely. :D The bird human felt pity for the wretched organism letting it live - an abomination of both animal/human and alien dna. So too the robotech characters: a mutant strain of several tv series molded together as an experiment which went wrong, still being able to continue to live to this day like the failed experiment.

Man I so wished arnie would just get on with making the third conan movie already.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

After the oil for food deal, if THIS doesn't force Kofi Annan to resign, nothing will. <_<

Really, that's just surreal. Lets go back to the League of Nations, the UN is too damn cheesy, never mind the day to day corruption and hypocracy. We really need Bono, Angalina Jolie and now Rick Hunter telling us what's what.

Beam me up Mr. Speaker! :rolleyes:

Yep: before complaining about the 'OMG they took the rip-off instead of the original' deal, I begin to wonder what an anime is supposed to do at the UN... :blink::ph34r:

I'm confused.  The Uniteds Nations, Harmony Gold and Robotech Characters?   I don't see the connection.

I don't get it either. The UN and Robotrash? I wonder who's idea this was. Who actually thought the fans would like it or that this would be worth the effort. What's the reaction on this among the RT fans?

some more info on the PSA

http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/info.php?id=un

HARMONY GOLD HONORS UNITED NATIONS' 60th ANNIVERSARY WITH ANIMATED PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (PSA)

Characters from company's classic anime series "Robotech" to star along with PSAs from Sean Connery, Michael Douglas, Colin Farrell, Lenny Kravitz and other celebrities.

LOS ANGELES ­ April 4, 2005 ­ In honor of the United Nations' 60th anniversary this year, the United Nations (UN) will debut a special Public Service Announcement (PSA) at MIP TV 2005. The 60-second spot, produced by Harmony Gold, is part of a broader effort to increase awareness of the work of the UN during this special period culminating with the 60th opening session of the UN General Assembly in the Fall. The unique element to this PSA however is that, instead of featuring a celebrity, the PSA features characters from Harmony Gold's classic anime series "Robotech" making it the first animated PSA for the UN in many years. "When we approached the UN with the idea of doing an animated PSA," said Frank Agrama, Harmony Gold's Chairman and CEO, "they were very excited. They feel this is a unique way of contributing to the UN's message of peace at a time when the world really needs it and, because it is animation, it will ultimately be broadcast on networks catering to a younger audience who will benefit from hearing the positive message."

Harmony Gold approached Caroline Petit from the UN at last year's MIP TV offering to produce the PSA to commemorate its upcoming anniversary. Having already begun production on an animated feature, "ROBOTECH: THE SHADOW CHRONICLES," a sequel to its hit anime series, "ROBOTECH," Harmony Gold approached its production partners to help create the PSA believing that this would be a great way to honor the people of the United Nations.

The UN and Harmony Gold will begin distributing the spot at MIP TV 2005 and it will additionally be available for viewing on the www.robotech.com website.

The PSA's theme is United Nations. It's our future. The PSA closes with:

"Together you can do this,

together you can succeed,

together you will survive...

There are many voices,

but it is all one world...

a world where there is a need for peace,

now... and in the future..."

Contributors on this PSA include DR Movie, Korea (Animation); Chris Prynoski / Titmouse, Inc. (PSA Director); Scott Glasgow (Composer); Krandall Crews (Recording Engineer); Intersound (Sound Design / Post Production); Kickstart Prods. (Production Services); Jim Garifi (PSA Timing). At Harmony Gold: Frank Agrama and Alan Letz (Executive Producers); Kimberly Maxwell (Producer); Tommy Yune (Creative Director); Thomas Bateman (PSA Writer).

About Harmony Gold

Harmony Gold has been active in the production, acquisition and distribution of quality international titles since its inception, producing some of the television industry's classic and history-making programs. See www.harmonygold.com for more information. Harmony Gold: Working in Harmony, to make Gold for over 20 years

check out that last line lol :lol:<_<

Edited by dejr8bud

Harmony Gold: Working in Harmony, to make Gold for over 20 years

If by that they mean whoring their bastard series for 20 years with almost no original content to show for it, then that'd be accurate, right?