Dune Extended Version DVD in May

Correct me if I am wrong, buit aren't most of the scenes in this "extended edition" incomplete, missing special effects and such? I was also under the impression Lynch wanted nothing to do with this release, and its pretty much a studio cut, and not a director's cut.

Correct me if I am wrong, buit aren't most of the scenes in this "extended edition" incomplete, missing special effects and such? I was also under the impression Lynch wanted nothing to do with this release, and its pretty much a studio cut, and not a director's cut.

Kinda sorta...

This special version of "Dune" is the Alan Smithee cut - a three hour ressembling of the film prepared for airing on television. David Lynch had his dirrectorial credit removed from this version, primarily due to his objection to the specially created prologue which attempts to spell out the convoluted twists and turns of what many describe as being an unfilmable plot. Despite Lynch's objections, this version is actually clearer than the original cinema edit, which was notoriously trimmed almost o the point of incomprehension by Hollywood executives determined to make it a more "commercial" duration.

I don't know about missing special effects or incomplete - I've seen this version, and though some of the scenes are rough, it doesn't detract from the overall film...

Ironically, this version is the one they always show whenever they show Dune on television.

Keeping with the Predator theme, the Brits have been able to get this version for years but R2 only, while those of us in the states were stuck with a royally crappy release that contained little more than the film itself.

I'll definitely be getting this!

Ironically, this version is the one they always show whenever they show Dune on television.

Keeping with the Predator theme, the Brits have been able to get this version for years but R2 only, while those of us in the states were stuck with a royally crappy release that contained little more than the film itself.

I'll definitely be getting this!

I have the region 2 version of Dune Extended and to say that copy is Meh is an UNderstatement. Its nothing more than a VCD or VCR Version transefered to DVD. The only saving Grace is a cool color booklet that comes with it .

I cant wait for the US release

• 10 months later...

Finally!

New release date January 29th. Pre-order is up on Amazon for $19.59.

Dune: Extended Edition

Disc 1 - Side A

* Original Theatrical Version (137mins)

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

* English DD5.1 Surround

* French DD2.0 Stereo

* English, French and Spanish subtitles

Disc 1 - Side B

* Extended Version (177mins)

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

* English DD5.1 Surround

* English, French and Spanish subtitles

Overview: Finally available for the first time on DVD: the EXTENDED edition of DUNE, from acclaimed director David Lynch and starring Sting and Kyle MacLachlan. Delve deeper into the film, with nearly an hour of extra footage that will help you more thoroughly explore the story, characters and dialogue. Released in highly collectible packaging, the DVD will include 2 versions of the film as well as a wealth of never before seen footage, documentaries and original artwork and illustrations. This DEFINITIVE release which includes both the extended and theatrical version will be a must-own for all fans.

Synopsis: Dazzling special effects, unforgettable images and powerful performances highlight David Lynch’s stunning film version of Frank Herbert's classic science fiction epic about an intergalactic warrior’s messianic rise. Starring Kyle MacLachlan, José Ferrer, Max von Sydow, Oscar winner Linda Hunt and Sting, DUNE is the ultimate adventure experience that goes beyond the imagination.

Bonus Material:

DELETED SCENES WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY RAFFELLA DE LAURENTIIS

Producer Raffaella De Laurentiis explains to the viewer that no final cut ever existed outside of the theatrical release. Along with deleted material from the film.

DESIGNING DUNE

Insight into Dune’s visual design as it was developed by director David Lynch and production designer Anthony Masters, including original sketches and paintings.

DUNE FX

From explosive pyrotechnics to the mechanics of the fighting robot this is a look at the process of visual effects artists.

DUNE MODELS

Model Supervisor Brian Smithies explains the unique challenges of bringing the models to life on Dune.

DUNE WARDROBE

Bob Ringwood and others explain how nearly 4,000 costumes were designed for Dune.

PHOTOGRAPH GALLERY (over 90 pictures)

Never Before Seen Behind the Scenes Photographs and Original Artwork

PRODUCTION NOTES

Number of Discs: 1

Run Time: 2 Hours 57 Minutes (Extended Version)

2 Hours 17 Minutes (Theatrical Version)

Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)

Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (Theatrical version only: French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo)

Rating: PG-13 (Theatrical), Not Rated (Extended)

Guest Bromgrev

I'm gonna be a stick-in-the-mud here and say I've never liked the film version of the book. IMO it lost everything important in the characters, the atmosphere and the setting. There wasn't one bit of half-decent acting from anyone involved, which was a shame considering the cast list. Mind you, i haven't seen it since it's original release, so maybe it's not so bad by today's standards ... ;)

And I thought the Sardaukar's suits looked like they were made out of binliners. :p

I'm gonna be a stick-in-the-mud here and say I've never liked the film version of the book. IMO it lost everything important in the characters, the atmosphere and the setting. There wasn't one bit of half-decent acting from anyone involved, which was a shame considering the cast list. Mind you, i haven't seen it since it's original release, so maybe it's not so bad by today's standards ...  ;)

And I thought the Sardaukar's suits looked like they were made out of binliners. :p

362220[/snapback]

I am going to agree with you about the movie. I have always loved the books and the film doesn't compare. I can honestly say that very little of the production design is anywhere close to what I had in mind when I first read the books.

Don't even get me started on the whole Duncan issue.

Edited by Felix

I'm just the opposite. I saw the movie first and muchly prefer that over the books. Certainly, the books have more room and time to get into much deeper meanings and such, but I find the novel iteself spends far too much time on the most obscure of details and it's not one that I can really get into.

I find the acting, particularly by Patrick Stewart, to be pretty damned good, especially when compared to the "recent" Sci-Fi miniseries.

This is definitly a DVD set that I'll be picking up on release day.

Even though Lynch wasn't involved in the "extended tv" version, it was always the only version that made any sense to me. I'd never read any of the books, so being thrown into this weird world of navigators and spice with little or no guidance was more than a little offputting to my then-young mind.

OK, my memory is a little hazy so may the hardcore fans remind me...

What I remember from the extended version is a scene with a baby worm, the torture of that Fremen guide and I think more of Mua'dib's training.

I had read somewhere that there was a version that Mua'dib actually went to the second moon of Arakis? I don't know, hehe all I want to know if this is the DVD I finally want to add to my library or not ;)

I hate double sided disc's, definately sticking with the original release.

362205[/snapback]

You do realize that the original version of the movie is on one side, and the extended version is on the other? Its not one movie spanning two sides.

Or MUST you have the movie logo on one side of the disc, so you can look at it while its spinning in your player... oh, never mind.

362205[/snapback]

You do realize that the original version of the movie is on one side, and the extended version is on the other? Its not one movie spanning two sides.

Or MUST you have the movie logo on one side of the disc, so you can look at it while its spinning in your player... oh, never mind.

362296[/snapback]

Yes, I do realise, but I also realise that I hate flipping those damned double sided disc's, and they could have just as easily made it a 2 disc release. Just a personal preference.

Seen this film many times and it's just not the kind of production that has stood up to the test of time. Reading the book a few years later, it became clear how inferior the David Lynch film was. Broadening my film experience over the years has also made it apparent how weak this production is as both as a film and an adaptation. I much prefer the mini-series simply due to the completeness of the story, but the mini-series is still seriously lacking in many respects.

Given the high quality of the original writing by Frank Herbert and its status among the great pieces of genre literature, I want to see a big budget release of this story utilizing a well written script adaptation, and a director who understands the material more than film art. The budget given to Terminator 2, Lord of The Rings, and other like productions would be approriate for a classic of this nature.

Edited by Mr March

362205[/snapback]

362296[/snapback]

Yes, I do realise, but I also realise that I hate flipping those damned double sided disc's, and they could have just as easily made it a 2 disc release. Just a personal preference.

362306[/snapback]

So, you don't like getting up and having to flip the disc (I guess you want to watch both versions back to back)... but you have no problem getting up and having to put in a second disc? You going OCD on us, Keith?

I thought I asked this before but I guess not. 

What did you guys think of the Sci-Fi Chanel Version of Dune?

362945[/snapback]

Oh, you me like this...

*snip*

...I much prefer the mini-series simply due to the completeness of the story, but the mini-series is still seriously lacking in many respects.

362317[/snapback]

To expand briefly, I prefer the Sci-Fi Channel Mini-Series of Dune. The overall flow of the story, the pacing of events, the characterizations, the dialogue, the technology, and the novelization details of Herbert's work are followed more closely and faithfully in the Mini-Series. The acting is a mixed bag, some performances are better in the Harrison Mini-Series, some performances are not as good as the Lynch film.

Ultimately, I'd prefer a big budgeted and properly written major motion picture directed by someone with a greater understanding of the material to cover a great work of literature like Dune. In the absence of that, I prefer the Mini-Series.

While the movie deviates from the book in so many ways, I do prefer the casting and acting of the movie.

I absolutely hate the casting choices in the mini-series. IMO, every actor/actress is completely miscast. And don't get me started on the extremely wooden acting.

I really had to force myself to sit through the whole mini-series, and promptly threw the DVD in the trash as soon as I'd finished it.

Graham

While the movie deviates from the book in so many ways, I do prefer the casting and acting of the movie.

I absolutely hate the casting choices in the mini-series. IMO, every actor/actress is completely miscast. And don't get me started on the extremely wooden acting.

I really had to force myself to sit through the whole mini-series, and promptly threw the DVD in the trash as soon as I'd finished it.

Graham

362954[/snapback]

Of course, how can you take B-actors over Patrick Stewart and Sting???

And the mini-series was so chock-full of CG, it hurt my eyes. Sorry, but I'm a traditionalist and I'd rather have classic special effects, miniatures, rotoscoping, animated light, matte paintings, etc. than CG. I can't stand that stuff, even in modern anime.

So in the "alternate" ending - is it different from the rain ending?

• 1 month later...

Graham

362954[/snapback]

Of course, how can you take B-actors over Patrick Stewart and Sting???

And the mini-series was so chock-full of CG, it hurt my eyes. Sorry, but I'm a traditionalist and I'd rather have classic special effects, miniatures, rotoscoping, animated light, matte paintings, etc. than CG. I can't stand that stuff, even in modern anime.

So in the "alternate" ending - is it different from the rain ending?

362970[/snapback]

Not really... it's an extended cut made for TV, not really an 'alternative' version. A lot of narratives were inserted, often without any live action footage to go with them so you have a camera moving thru or zooming in/out of illustrations. A lot of times, lines are repeated again for emphasis... this Alan Smithee cut is definitely a poor rendition of the original theatrical cut.

The movie's production value didn't really stand up to the test of time as far as some of the compositing FX and how some of the costumes were slapped together, but luckily the acting did for the most part.

Was a huge fan of the movie, loved the series more. Despite it's issues, i felt the series had more depth and I loved the detail of the story vs. the hollywood force fit.