What scale Destroids?

EXO

What would complete your collection more?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What would complete your collection more?

• 1:48 scale
    • 1:60 scale

Having seen and handled the prototype 1/60 Monster sculpt a couple of years ago (gosh has it been that long), I can confirm the thing is pretty damn huge. Got some sweet photos of it with a 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A Battroid standing with it as well. Hmm.....would Yamato go apeshit if I posted them?

Graham

Oh yeah post em up, what could they do that they havent done allready ;)

I'd prefer the 1/60 scale too. I've got the most valks in that scale so I want the rest of whatever that comes out in that scale too. 1/48s are nice but if I could have a complete line up of 1/60s that would be cool.

The funny thing is most people seem to not pay attention to scale. Everybody seems to put the 1/60 Q-rau fighting a 1/48 Max in their displays. Rather than scale everybody seems to worry about the actual size of the product.

I am not too concerned with the exact scale, I just want a good quality, well detailed representation of the destroids, a few enemy mecha and the SDF. I think I would prefer 1/48 scale for the destroids for size and coolness, but 1/60 would be just fine with me. Plastic or metal content don't make ahuge difference if the things are detailed and relatively sturdy.

I was not intimidated by the size or expected cost of the 1/60 monster, if anything it made it more attractive to me to be ungodly big. Personally, I want a Yamato SDF toy that is around the same size, if not a tiny bit bigger than the 1/60 Monster Prototype. I want sick amounts of detail on the thing.

so i'm kind of on the fence about this one now.

while i still think 1/60s destroids make more sense overall and a huge space saver, i really want some cool features for each of them and i don't think yamato(or any other co.) could pull it off in a small scale.

the one feature i'd like to see most is sliding/rising cockpits and pilot figures for each of the destroids, all the other stuff like articulation, opening hatches, etc, should be a given.

It's amazing that its been a consistent 40% -1:48 vs. 60% -1/60 since the poll was put up... but the 1/60 fans are more outspoken.

Umm nope. not yet. I just help tip the scales for the 1/48. I like the 1/48. I like everything in the same scale as my 1/48 yammies. Helps me when I work on build the 1/48 Daedelous. :D

no conversion kits please. the last thing i want is 1 endo-skeleton for 4 destroids....you'd never be able to display them all at once. i got that damn takatoku one and it totally sucks since i can only enjoy one destroid at a time. <_<

if it was like a tomahawk conversion kit where you can make different varients of a tomahawk, that would be fine, but no endo-skeleton BS.

no conversion kits please.  the last thing i want is 1 endo-skeleton for 4 destroids....you'd never be able to display them all at once.  i got that damn takatoku one and it totally sucks since i can only enjoy one destroid at a time.    <_<

if it was like a tomahawk conversion kit where you can make different varients of a tomahawk, that would be fine, but no endo-skeleton BS.

I'd second that...

Here's the conversion equations, I know someone said they did it already but I ended up doing it again, just out of curiousity...

Phalanx

Actual (Ground to searchlight) - 11.27m or 36.97ft

1:60 - 7.40in or 18.78cm

1:48 - 9.24in or 23.48cm

Tomahawk

Actual (overall including missile rack) - 12.7 m or 41.67ft

1:60 - 8.33in or 21.17cm

1:48 - 10.42in or 26.45cm

Actual (to head unit) - 11.27 m

Spartan (Ground to shoulder) 11.31 m or 37.10ft

1:60 - 7.42in or 18.85cm

1:48 - 9.28 in or 23.56cm

Defender (Ground with antenna) - 11.27 m or 36.97ft

Monster (Height to guns' muzzles) - 22.46 m or 73.68ft (damn!)

1:60 - 14.73in or 37.43cm (damn!)

1:48 - 18.42in or 46.79cm (damn!)

no conversion kits please.  the last thing i want is 1 endo-skeleton for 4 destroids....you'd never be able to display them all at once.  i got that damn takatoku one and it totally sucks since i can only enjoy one destroid at a time.    <_<

I'd second that...

Here's the conversion equations, I know someone said they did it already but I ended up doing it again, just out of curiousity...

Phalanx

Tomahawk

Sans the Monster, 1/48 it is then. B))

I'd second that...

Phalanx

Tomahawk

Sans the Monster, 1/48 it is then. B))

Damn straight!

The more I think about it, I am not likely to buy any new destroids. I'm satisfied with my Matchbox 'troids.

Yeah, people clamoring for 1/60 scale destroids should definitely get those. The sculpt is not bad, it could use some articulations though. I have mine in a garage somewhere. Maybe I'll take it out.

I voted 1/48.

I would be happy with an average detail but highly poseable 1/60 (no floppy limbs) because I think it would match with more toys, but if they ever did release a 1/48 I would end up buying it and ignore smaller scale toys. (like with the yamato valks)

I think a high detail robust-but-light toy with lots of gimmicks (similar to the way the 1/48 yammie fast packs were done with thier individual removable micro missiles and removable covers) would be awesome if they put the same attention to detail as they did with the yamato 1/48 valkyries.

It has to not look like a toy or people will complain like they did with the Qrau. I think though that given that destroids look chunkier than valkyires, that if they do end up using a bigger 1/48 scale that they really gotta put craploads worth of articulation on every single joint (individual fingers on spartan etc) and make those joints strong enough to withstand any pose you could pull off with smaller lighter action figure. (or else the thing is just a statue)

Also add heaps of interior details to make the thing the ultimate representation of the destroids they can. I plan on displaying a really high detail destroid next to a GBP armor equiped 1/48 valk so people can see the 2 side by side and admire them more as if they were real high tech vehichles that once existed rather than just action figures. So if the size means more detail than I will ignore smaller scale stuff if the standard of quality is worth the extra cash.

Hopefully one day a transformable octos or a cheyenne (with rubber tires) will be made.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

For me the Destroids needs to be on par in size and detailed as the MPC Convoy.

That's my new standard and I bet already bested by Yamato's Voltom (can't wait for it next month). You just get so much more for your money, $ for $.

Edited by Neova

One gimmick I would love for the 1/48 destroids would be working searchlights. Yamato could use those tiny watch batteries, maybe even AAA size? Of course all hatches would have to open and removable missles are a must. :D Like >EXO< said, the Matchbox destroids look great next to 1/60 valks. So hunt'em down 1/60 fans.

yyamato is in this business for the money and i suggested a while back, they should release one destroid paired up with one enemy mecha(whatever scale it may be) and they'd be making money hand over fist. i doubt this will happen cause it makes too much sense just like the likelyhood of them selling the upcoming 1/48 GBP bundled with a CF instead of the 1J. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

i'm not a big destroid fan but having just read this topic from the begining i'd have to say that 1/48 is the way to go.

The measurements taken give the 1/48 a height difference of about 2 inches taller than a 1/60 scale mecha.

Given that 1/48 valks are plentiful theres no reason as far as i see not to make the destroids in 1/48 scale.

As long as their solidy built and have a bit of weight to them like a 1/55 bandai valk (I have thing for die cast metal).

With everything seemingly being 1/60 now that Yamato is producing, I say 1/60 all the way. It's not like these things transform so I don't think additional size would really reap much of a benefit. Besides, I'm running out of room FAST.

1/48 for me, thanks. You've got to remember that most of the destroids (at least from the TV series and DYRL) were quite a bit shorter than the VF-1, making them pretty tiny (comparatively speaking). Your Q-Rau would dwarf one of these things.

Plus, if you're going to do it, do it right, and I don't think you'd be able to get the level of detail we've come to expect from Yamato on a tiny 1/60 scale destroid. I'd love to see opening hatches, removable missles, etc, that the 1/60 would just be too small to feasibly fit all that on without making it too fragile.

talk about back from the dead.

i guess i'm still on the 1/60 bandwagon after all this time. i love the 1/48 scale but i just don't see the point in making a non-TFing figure in such a large scale.

then again, they did an AMAZING job with the 1/48 GBP armor. all the bells and whistles on that sucker is truly unbelieveable. if they can produce something with that kind of detail and the gimmicks to back it up, i guess a 1/48 destroid would be sweet too.

to be or not to be....

broke

that is the question!