Can someone explain this picture from Macross 7?

UN Spacy

Isn't this from the episode where they were celebrating the anniversary of defeating Bodolza by renacting the battle?

If I remember correctly they brought in performers to play the roles of the historical characters, except for Max and Milia who played themselves (cute reaction from Mylene; "Were you really that big Momma?!")

There can ONLY be one.  :blink:  :ph34r:  :p

What episode is that from? :blink::wacko:

From Fleet Of The Strongest Women.

But I wanna know which episode Monkey-N and Plastik Missle are talking about.

They show lots of Flashbacks to Space War I that are supposedly not from the Macross universe version of DYRL? but seem to be a meld of DYRL? and SDF events.

They do that in M7 because it sucks so bad... By draging old stuff in, it creates the illusion that M7 is just more of the Macross you know and love. Fortunately I was not fooled.

They show lots of Flashbacks to Space War I that are supposedly not from the Macross universe version of DYRL? but seem to be a meld of DYRL? and SDF events.

They do that in M7 because it sucks so bad... By draging old stuff in, it creates the illusion that M7 is just more of the Macross you know and love. Fortunately I was not fooled.

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering buying the "grey market" DVDs at the anime store but decided not to. Based on what everyone was saying about M7, I really do not want to waste my money on it.

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering buying the "grey market" DVDs at the anime store but decided not to. Based on what everyone was saying about M7, I really do not want to waste my money on it.

Good move, you will save yourself a great deal of heart ache.

Go to the Compendium and read about what happens in the time line though. Thats kind of interesting.

I like Mac7. It's not the greatest show ever, but it's hardly as sucky as some poeple make it out to be.

Agent ONE doesn't. That's his choice.

I think you'll find a lot of people DO like Mac7, it's just that the few that hate it utterly are by far the most vocal about it.

Though I'd recommend downloading fansubs instead of buying bootleg DVDs.

http://animesuki.rut.org/series.php/166.html

Edited by JB0

I'm fairly middle of the road about M7, mostly I just can't stand Mylene and Basara, those two are very annoying, plus the idea of using music as a physical weapon, well that just seems strange to me. I would have much prefered it if they had something along the lines that Basara's voice somehow, maybe throught that harness of his, tapped into the fabric of space time, using it as a weapon. Possibly some holdover SUpervision Army/Protoculture weapon, kind of like how Sara can control gravity with her singing in Mac-0.

I like Mac7. It's not the greatest show ever, but it's hardly as sucky as some poeple make it out to be.

No, it really does suck that bad.

Really.

Just download it if you truly wish to experience the horror.

The bootleg subtitles are probably atrocious and will make the show even worse...

PS. - The shot is from the episode where they are making a Minmay movie (for TV I think) and they get Mylene to play Minmei, and they're re-enacting some of the stuff from Space War I.

Edited by kazuo

Thanks for the heads up.  I was considering buying the "grey market" DVDs at the anime store but decided not to.  Based on what everyone was saying about M7, I really do not want to waste my money on it.

Why not Godzilla?

You own everyting else in the Macross Universe, what's a DVD set to complete that massive collection of yours!?!

Don't you feel incomplete without it?

Even if you hate Basara and Mylene (how can anybody hate Mylene, thats like hating kittens?), M7 is still worth watching IMO for Gamlin, Max & Milia and the VF-17D/S, VF-19S/F, VF-22S, VF-11C, VF-11C Full Armored IMO. Gamlin is the main character of M7 I tell you!

Graham

PS. - The shot is from the episode where they are making a Minmay movie (for TV I think) and they get Mylene to play Minmei, and they're re-enacting some of the stuff from Space War I.

Anyone know where I can find a torrent of that episode?

What's the name?

I'll echo in here, I'm pretty sure this is from the episode where they're shooting the movie. I believe the only flashbacks we get in the strongest women episode is Max and Miriya doin' a little smoochy smoochy but I might be wrong (and no, I'm not gonna rewatch a Mac7 episode to figure it out). Sign me up on that supposedly short list of Mac7 haters who are the most vocal. On the Gamlin note, while I did like him more than the other characters, I actually cheered when he died. Not because i was ecstatic he was dead but because for the first time the series seemed to try something dramatic... only to have him pull a Jesus impression shortly thereafter... Roy dies, Ben dies, Gamlin is Jesus.

... Sign me up on that supposedly short list of Mac7 haters who are the most vocal.  ...

You're not one of the very vocal haters I was speaking of. Not from what I've seen, anyways.

I'm just saying that the impression that everyone hates Mac7 is because a very small number of posters(say, five?) insist on professing their undying hatred every time the show's mentioned, even tangentally.

And the episode where they're filming the Minmei movie is #11. I don't recall seeing that specific shot in it, but I may well be mistaken.

Edited by JB0

This shot is "not" from the Minmay Video episode, and is indeed from Fleet of the Strongest Women. The answer was given early on here, it's a scene from the Macross universe's "extended" version of "DYRL (i.e. a version that contains many more scenes that weren't able to get into our real world version of the film).

This is a scene depicting the peace treaty between the Macross & Zentradi. Assumedly this would be taking place after Max chased Milia into the ship, but before their wedding (which we also don't get to see in the film), since he's macronized for the wedding. The overall scene's specific placement would be right before the press conference where Hikaru & Minmay re-unite.

And definately pick up the M7 DVD's. With FX going under (perhaps temporarily, perhaps perminently), you'll miss out on your chance to get the most complete set. For $50-$60 you get 56 episodes, even if it turns out you don't like it, you'll at least have a basis for saying so.

Edited by Keith

Hey Keith, is there ever any absolute proof that those "flashbacks" are from the Macross universe version of DYRL? and are not supposed to be the actual events? Like I posted before, I've seen many people post here quoting Kawamori as saying that the "real" story of Space War One is somewhere inbetween the movie and the tv series, and whether from this episode in question, or from the documentary episode, I don't recall anyone ever specifically pegging these scenes as being from the movie.

Or maybe we should ressurect the old thread for that topic?

Also, while I agree that any fan of Macross 7, or any completist, should have a copy of FX's Macross 7 bootleg (unless, by some miracle, there is ever a legit english language release) for it's excellent video and sound quality (and decent subtitles for a bootleg), I think any first time viewers should watch the fansubs as some story elements are...less than clear with the FX subtitles (I said they were decent for bootlegs, they're still not great).

I also completely agree with JBO's assesment on how it only seems like so many people hate M7 because of those who are really against it tend to be very vocal about it. Of course, there are a couple people on the boards that are very vocal for it. However, those that do like it tend to not get too involved in the bashing threads,

and many have varying opinions on what they liked and disliked about the show, and even how they interpreted different things about the show.

For instance, I've seen every episode of Macross 7 multiple times, same with the OVA and The Galaxy is Calling Me, and I don't recall any scene where music was used "as a physical weapon".

I would recommend anyone to watch the fansubs at least and then judge it rather than paying money. (see all of it, then talk)

The main concern was the monster of the week thing and people not liking the design. Which is subject to opinion. And opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one but nobody wants to smell yours. :D

Personally I thought that SDF:macross was the heart and soul of what macross is about, while the stuff in macross 7 almost felt like filler material that made the reason we watch robot shows take a backseat. I still believe this content could have been grafted onto the original SDF:macross storyline. Especially the aspect of exploring ruins to find out the origins of PC and Zentradi. But they felt they had to stretch it to a new series and new characters with 7 which was a mistake.

They probably did that on purpose to make us think about characters more than exciting battles and fights to be different. I personally felt that the side effect of this was that the fine balance was upset because basara's music is the focus and you just can't connect to him early on. I just felt the story was not aimed at the typical sci-geek in all of us and music (not culture overall) seemed to be the whole focus this time. The characters in SDF macross were far more easy to connect with and interesting than the macross 7 ones imo. The characters in 7 were more 'filler' and less crucial to the main story. The idea of spiritua magically healing, affecting mindcontrolled zombies, and waking them up, rather than having them emotionally be affected by it spoiled it for me too. It almost makes those who can sing almost like super heroes.

Like the Protodevlin were invincible to any weapon but 100% allergic to music just seemed a little far fetched. In sdf:macross music didn't have nearly that much affect and after a time, characters like kamjin got used to its effects giving at least a bit of believability to the story. Culture itself (along with music) was what made Zentradi stop fighting but in macross 7 ONLY basara the hero of the galaxy could save us. :D When you take only the music aspect THAT seriously you ruin the realism of the original imo.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I would also have to steer you towards Central Anime.

Back in the VHS days, they were the poo.. assuming you could get their tapes.

I believe they are just using Dana Weaver's scripts (and using his subtitle format as well; I could be wrong, I haven't downloaded any of their digisubs to look).

Also, to the poster who said M7 was worth it just for Gamlin & Milia.. well, Gamlin is a putz, and Milia's portrayal in 7 is one of the reasons I dislike the show so much.

Milia the Mayor... ppsh

PS - Why waste money on the bootleg DVDs? The subtitles are very poor, and you can get great quality digisubs from Central off the net.. FOR FREE. If you want DVDs that bad, burn the Central digisubs to DVD. FOR FREE. :)

PPS - The "poo"? LOL nice censor filters.. why not just put [censored]? :p

Edited by kazuo

Back in the VHS days, they were the poo.. assuming you could get their tapes.

*Raises hand* That would be me.

the story was not aimed at the typical sci-geek in all of us

You can't please them all, so don't try. <_<

Like the Protodevlin were invincible to any weapon but 100% allergic to music just seemed a little far fetched.

I don't think calling it an "allergy" is an appropriate wording for their reactions toward Anima Spiritia because not all of them reacted the same way and over time, a few of them did adapt.

Also, to the poster who said M7 was worth it just for Gamlin & Milia.. well, Gamlin is a putz, and Milia's portrayal in 7 is one of the reasons I dislike the show so much.

More importantly, Gamlin gets Millia's VF-1 blown up.

Best Valk ever, up in smoke.

Kawamori's quote regarding "viewing it one way or the other" (to paraphrase) dated back to the mid 80's. Kawamori's statement that the TV series stands as canon came from the early/mid 90's when he & Nue fixed up the timeline after the Macross II fiasco.

For specific info, see Egan Loo's site, pretty sure he has it up somewhere, or at the very least, he gave the definative answer in regards to which version takes canon precidence. In regards to the DYRL clips in 7, Egan has translated the LD liner notes detailing the stance of the extended version of the film in the Macross canon. The general way it works, is that the original story had become so romanticized to the characters in the Macross universe, that the depicition of fact & fiction regarding SWI's events get blurred with the film.

Look at it this way, how many kids today do you think know the difference between the actual sinking of the Titanic, and the movie?

At least that picture finally puts to waste the worry over what color the heatshield was on Max's VF-1S... no motion errors to worry about.. one solid picture just standing there. it's blue. I've known it all along... (I actually looked for this picture a while back so I could show "non-believers", but I never could.)