This really burned my @$$

You know...I think Ive seen the heighth of hypocrisy this morning. Some godd@mned 'Soccer Mom' yakking on her cellphone had a 'Vote the Environment' bumper sticker on display on her 4WD Toyota 4Runner SUV. I wanted to run her off the road and cuss her out. I don't care what side of the political spectrum you fall on...but that is arrogance in action. I felt like screaming at her for being one of the reasons why gasoline costs as much as it does now. :angry:

Can I ask the meaning of the expresion "soccer mom"?

I'm not a native English speaker ;)

Thanks!!! And don't stone me for this :lol:

Soccer moms is the name given to a mom with a bunch of kids in her van/SUV/station wagon going towards school or a school sports activity.

It makes me wonder with all the soccer moms in the US, why is soccer still a secondary sport? :lol:

Soccer Mom is also a term that is a double edged sword. Like "Hoosier", Soccer Mom can be seen as positive or negative depending on who you talk to. Some people hear Soccer Mom and think either 1) middle / upper middle class stay at home mom who's life revolves around her kids or they hear 2) stuffy, opinionated, ignorant rich woman who believes she is ordained by a higher power to raise her children, tell you how to raise yours, tell you how to live your life and be a general bitch to everyone... even her kids.

Around my parts (the midwest) Soccer Moms are a scourge on the land.

Edit: a very, very obscure reference but IMHO the ultimate in the Soccer Mom stereotype is on the video game GTA: Vice City. On the radio station that has Maurice Chaves' "Pressing Issues" show they have a guest who is the typical Soccer Mom to a T. If you are ever in a spot to hear that audio from the game, bam, that is the best example of a stereotypical Soccer Mom.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Thanks for the enlightment ;)

It's the title of a song from The Vandals and I didn't get the meaning out of the song.

Now that I saw the expression again, just had to ask!!!

NO prob... just don't ask me to exlplain what a Pizza Tran is... :p

It's the title of a song from The Vandals and I didn't get the meaning out of the song.

Heh, the Vandals have always been know for thier intellegent lyrics.

"anarchy burger, hold the government"

:rolleyes:

Heh, the Vandals have always been know for thier intellegent lyrics.

"anarchy burger, hold the government"

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the Vandals is one of my favorite bands ;)

Thanks EXO, no need to explain the meaning of Pizza Tran :lol:

A quote from the song I was talking about:

"Gliding across the lawn, oranges and Evian.

And pizza right after the game. Just tell me where and when, Volvos and collagen.

Hope you might feel the same.

My Soccer mom, it's on. Knew all along so right it's so wrong"...

You know...I think Ive seen the heighth of hypocrisy this morning. Some godd@mned 'Soccer Mom' yakking on her cellphone had a 'Vote the Environment' bumper sticker on display on her 4WD Toyota 4Runner SUV. I wanted to run her off the road and cuss her out. I don't care what side of the political spectrum you fall on...but that is arrogance in action. I felt like screaming at her for being one of the reasons why gasoline costs as much as it does now. :angry:

It reminds me about one of the readings in my Environmental Ethics class I took over the summer - we got these celebrities on top of their limo's demanding that everyone else conserve! :rolleyes:

You know...I think Ive seen the heighth of hypocrisy this morning. Some godd@mned 'Soccer Mom' yakking on her cellphone had a 'Vote the Environment' bumper sticker on display on her 4WD Toyota 4Runner SUV. I wanted to run her off the road and cuss her out. I don't care what side of the political spectrum you fall on...but that is arrogance in action. I felt like screaming at her for being one of the reasons why gasoline costs as much as it does now.  :angry:

It reminds me about one of the readings in my Environmental Ethics class I took over the summer - we got these celebrities on top of their limo's demanding that everyone else conserve! :rolleyes:

I think in general, people who listen to celebrities and rock stars for their politcal insights, should have their heads examined.

another annoying celebrity trait... when they go and ask for money on behlaf of some charitable organization... they should be forced to donate their money before coming out to ask for our money... as it is, they usually get PAID to make an appearance.

And yes, people who drive SUVs do contribute to high gas prices... why?

well, considering they get half the mileage of a compact car, and lets see, like a 1/3 or 1/4th the mileage of an economy or hybrid. For every 1 SUV you see, thats three or four cars that could be fueled by what that monster is using.

but hey, it's everyone's elses problem right?

I think in general, people who listen to celebrities and rock stars for their politcal insights, should have their heads examined.

Unforutnately, that'd be something like 75-95% of America, and probably 99% of the residents in Southern California.

Well, if I go back to school in the future, at least I know what to study... looks like there's a huge demand for psychiatrists...

And yes, people who drive SUVs do contribute to high gas prices...

Only if they drive them the same amount as they would drive a regular car.

And there are some SUVs (generally the car-based ones) that get decent mileage.

I'm not personally a fan of SUVs (or the rules that favor the gas-guzzlers among them), but those are caveats worth mentioning, IMO.

another annoying celebrity trait... when they go and ask for money on behlaf of some charitable organization... they should be forced to donate their money before coming out to ask for our money... as it is, they usually get PAID to make an appearance.

Actually, while not being paid you can deduct it from your taxes

as a celeb, look at our good samaritans (Sp?) now

but hey, it's everyone's elses problem right?

Yep, here in Holland Regular gas is now €1.29 per litre

I get steamed about the fella who is often driving home at the same time I am. His sticker reads "My border Collie is Smarter Than Your Honor Student". The sticker itself is just so stupid on so many levels, it's actually difficult to say why it makes me angry :)

American engines uses too much gas! But it seems like no one are willing to use Japanese cars.

This is not really true. American engines are closer to their Japanese counterparts, in terms of EPA mileage. The Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are two of the best selling cars in the US, so many people are driving Japanese cars, of course most of these cars are actually manufactured in the US now.

Edited by valk1j

I feel your pain regarding the election advertising pollution. In Australia our federal election is tomorrow and I am looking forward to sunday so I never have to see another blitzkrieg of political advertising for another 4 years.

And I don't care what SUV (or 4WD as they're called here). they still suck a hellava lot more gas than a medium/small sized sedan.

Yep, here in Holland Regular gas is now €1.29 per litre

FYI:

1 liter = 0.264 fl gal

0.264 fl gal = €1.29

1 fl gal = €4.89

So if you tank regular gas in Holland, you'll pay about $6.10 per gallon.

Hey, why do you think I drive a camry? Gas prices are up because a combination of things. OPEC said they will decrease production. Then the demand goes up esp in countries like the US. Then you have ppl panic in the stock market because of oil sabatoge in Iraq despite the fact that Iraq's oil production is only a fraction to the world's production. I mean that is why Saddam invaded Kuwait in 1990. That cause more panic in Oil futures which drives the prices up. All these combinations determines the price of gas.

I swear I see more SUVs than cars. We use more gas than any other country where a family has 2 cars. And ppl bitch about the price of gas esp those who drive SUVs. But do they do anything about it? No. Are they a contributing factor, you bet. Law of economics: Demand goes up and supply goes down. Those who took economics 101 know what price is determined. As we all know, high gas prices effects the economy. Airlines have to pay higher fuel costs which passed on to higher ticket prices. Transporting goods cost higher. Basically costs goes up and it is passed on to the consumers. Consumers are faced with doing without or pay up for the goods and services. Generally ppl will refuse to buy at that price if they can go without it. Profit margins are low or nonexistant. Stock market reacts negatively due to lower profits or losses. To make more profits, companies have to cut costs like labor, benefits, etc. Talk about the domino effect. Then the consumer who works for the company is laid off cannot buy those products because he/she cann afford to. And guess what? We get a recession.

Aint economics wonderful? Greed and fear is what drives it.

i think the gov should just step in and say "f- you all, no more gas cars!" and give each of us a free electric car with free lifetime maintenance. but of course, even if we did have to pay for the electric cars, they wouldn't go for it cuz their greedy little paws have a stake in oil.(ahem*bush*ahem)

It makes me wonder with all the soccer moms in the US, why is soccer still a secondary sport? :lol:

Well I will answer that question;

It is a secondary sport in the US only; and the main reason why that is, is because marketing. You see, baseball and football are "slow" games. They have quantious and boring breaks and stops which allows companies to advertise their products on. You only get one break on soccer and some of the adds are placed atop the screen while the game is going on. So, since is not very nice and profitable for some companies they rather don't encourage it as a sport. Capitalism at its best

All soccer fans would hate to see a Budwiser logo on the screen when Romario is heading towars the opposite golie..

See what I mean?

It makes me wonder with all the soccer moms in the US, why is soccer still a secondary sport?  :lol:

Well I will answer that question;

It is a secondary sport in the US only; and the main reason why that is, is because marketing. You see, baseball and football are "slow" games. They have quantious and boring breaks and stops which allows companies to advertise their products on. You only get one break on soccer and some of the adds are placed atop the screen while the game is going on. So, since is not very nice and profitable for some companies they rather don't encourage it as a sport. Capitalism at its best

All soccer fans would hate to see a Budwiser logo on the screen when Romario is heading towars the opposite golie..

See what I mean?

Soccer secondary sport? Try less popular than the NHL(if that's possible), which would be like sixth or something lol.

American engines uses too much gas! But it seems like no one are willing to use Japanese cars.

I have to disagree with you on that one. I get 20-22 miles per gallon in my F-150. Thats pretty much the same that I get outta my integra.

i think the gov should just step in and say "f- you all, no more gas cars!" and give each of us a free electric car with free lifetime maintenance. but of course, even if we did have to pay for the electric cars, they wouldn't go for it cuz their greedy little paws have a stake in oil.(ahem*bush*ahem)

I would start kicking some major ass if that happenned. After all the money and work I've put into my car.....

Unless they let me be an eX-Driver.

Heh, the govenment wouldn't go for it considering that the oil companies pretty much ARE the government!

Heh, the govenment wouldn't go for it considering that the oil companies pretty much ARE the government!

Actually, that's one thing that the Governator is trying to do. Create a system of hydrogen "gas stations" up and down the California coast, trying to encourage people to use that as a means of travel.

There's some talk (and even a little action) of bringing that chain all the way up the West Coast to Vancouver, BC as a means of promoting "cleaner" ways to travel.

i think the gov should just step in and say "f- you all, no more gas cars!"  and give each of us a free electric car with free lifetime maintenance.  but of course, even if we did have to pay for the electric cars, they wouldn't go for it cuz their greedy little paws have a stake in oil.(ahem*bush*ahem)

I would start kicking some major ass if that happenned. After all the money and work I've put into my car.....

Unless they let me be an eX-Driver.

You and me both kid. They would have to bludgeon me to death to get my supercharged, cat-free exhaust, gas-guzzling V8 mustang. :ph34r: