The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

Can we say Virtual Boy?

No thanks, I've never played a game where I caught myself saying "Damn, I wish I had a 2nd screen!" A larger screen? Always! But a 2nd screen? Nah.

While it could be helpful in RPG's where I could keep a real-time view on my items or maps, I'm horrible at multi-tasking. From the games I've seen on the DS so far, they make nice gimmicks from of the 2nd screen, but nothing that brings gaming to a whole new experience. Pass!

Can we say Virtual Boy?

No thanks, I've never played a game where I caught myself saying "Damn, I wish I had a 2nd screen!" A larger screen? Always! But a 2nd screen? Nah.

While it could be helpful in RPG's where I could keep a real-time view on my items or maps, I'm horrible at multi-tasking. From the games I've seen on the DS so far, they make nice gimmicks from of the 2nd screen, but nothing that brings gaming to a whole new experience. Pass!

I loved my VB even though it caused temporary sight damage (seeing all red is trippy to say the least). If the headset had been lighter and was capable of being strapped to the head or worn as some sort of helmet, it would have sold much better. THe VB controller is by far one of the best ever.

I'm probably going to wait. I've still got my GBA that's serving my rare needs very well. Actually, I'm more likely to get some games for my iPaq at this point since it's something I generally carry with me.

I may end up skipping this generation of hand helds altogether. The last hand held unit I had before this was a Game Gear. Worked well with the Master System adapter, though ;)

I will get mine for free... guess why :p

5 finger discount? ;)

Actually, I work for Nintendo France as a salesman. I love my job :lol:

I must be the only person that can play a Virtual Boy with no headaches or any side effects. I played the poo outta Red Alarm(or whatever that vector shooter was) and Mario tennis.

There were some really neat 3d effects and I really got a sense of depth. I think that the problem was that most of the games sucked, then people started adding these "headaches" to the pile... I dunno. That's just my theory. I did have fun with it quite some time though.

I'll probably pick up a DS, but I'll wait for something more badass than Mario rehashes. :)

Perhaps.... SOUL CALIBUR DS!?! Indeed... indeed....

I've never had any problems with the VB, either. I think a lot of the complaints about the system would've been avoided if they had done a full-color system. They've had the technology to do one this entire time, but back then claimed it would be too expensive to make one.

I must be the only person that can play a Virtual Boy with no headaches or any side effects. I played the poo outta Red Alarm(or whatever that vector shooter was) and Mario tennis.

There were some really neat 3d effects and I really got a sense of depth. I think that the problem was that most of the games sucked, then people started adding these "headaches" to the pile... I dunno. That's just my theory. I did have fun with it quite some time though.

I could play it without headaches as well.

There was something cool about putting in your headphones and playing the game for a while, it really cut you off from the outside world... kind of a cool feeling. Pull yourself out and it was like, "whoah."

The games were subpar, I think it was one of those systems where developers didn't know what to do with it. I think the DS might suffer the same fate; cool technology and an opportunity for a lot of new games but most developers won't bother testing the limits of the technology and churning out the same old crap.

The surgery game (forget the same) seems to be one of the first games to take advantage of the touch screen/stylus, but it's still a game about surgery. Not really gonna bring in the kids.

The PSP looks promising, certainly the most promising system Sony has done.. but we'll see what happens. Most of the games look to just be boring ports.

Either way, I doubt I'll be picking up either anytime soon. I bought a JP PS2 this summer which I'm kinda scratching my head with and asking, "what the hell am I gonna do with this?"

I'll pass, it's more of the same games.

By that logic you must not have picked up a videogame console since the first Playstation.

actually I buy ALL consoles, just not handheld.

I don't even play my consoles that much.

But why would I want to buy a handheld to play Mario, when I can play in my GC? why buy a handheld to play Metroid, when I can play in my GC?

That's the one gripe I have with nintendo, the vast majority of their best games, are the same games from their previous consoles just supped up.

Still, I'll buy the console versions, because they are a bit better than the previous, but getting the handheld one is a step back, and pointless for me.

That's the one gripe I have with nintendo, the vast majority of their best games, are the same games from their previous consoles just supped up.

Not entirely correct.

Advance Wars, Battle Network, Pokemon, Golden Sun, the GBA Astroboy game are all unique to the Gameboy systems. Also, the Cube version of Four Swords is actually a step down from the fun of playing GBA Four Swords. Not to mention the PS2 Astroboy being something of a flop, while the GBA game is one of the more memorable titles of the year. It could also be argued that the 3D Castlevania game doesn't quite stand up to a number of the GBA Castlevania games, I doubt anyone would clame Sonic Adventure 2 was better than the GBA games, and the console Mega Man games remain stale and dated in the face of much better sequels on the GBA like Mega Man Zero.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy a GBA or a DS, if you're not likely to play a portable system, there's no real point in you picking one up, but to say that all the games are ports or rehashes that don't stack up to what's on the consoles is utterly false. I've found more games that impress me on the GBA than I have on the XBox. PS2, and possibly even the Gamecube combined.

Not entirely correct.

Advance Wars, Battle Network, Pokemon, Golden Sun, the GBA Astroboy game are all unique to the Gameboy systems. Also, the Cube version of Four Swords is actually a step down from the fun of playing GBA Four Swords. Not to mention the PS2 Astroboy being something of a flop, while the GBA game is one of the more memorable titles of the year. It could also be argued that the 3D Castlevania game doesn't quite stand up to a number of the GBA Castlevania games, I doubt anyone would clame Sonic Adventure 2 was better than the GBA games, and the console Mega Man games remain stale and dated in the face of much better sequels on the GBA like Mega Man Zero.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy a GBA or a DS, if you're not likely to play a portable system, there's no real point in you picking one up, but to say that all the games are ports or rehashes that don't stack up to what's on the consoles is utterly false. I've found more games that impress me on the GBA than I have on the XBox. PS2, and possibly even the Gamecube combined.

Hold the phone, Ladic. I love the Sonic Adventure series, never really cared for the Genesis Sonics. And the Sonic Advance series is Genesis, just prettier.

And as for Megaman... while the Zero series is brilliant, and X7 less than stellar, Battle Network went from an innovative remix to a childish series that revolves around fetch-quests. Meanwhile, I liked Network Trasmission for its back-to-its-roots style of gameplay, Megaman X: Command Mission is excellent, and Megaman X8 is shaping up to be everything we'd hoped X7 was going to be.

Anyway, aside from that, I do agree with your point. There's a lot to love on the GBA. And while the DS does seem a little gimmicky at times, it's still backwards compatible with GBA games, and although the titles I've seen so far fail to make any innovative use of the stylus or second screen, they've mostly been solid games in their own right.

If I took public transport to work I'd consider it. As it is, I don't travel enough to justify a portable system and at home, I spend most of my time with my Xbox (can you say Halo2, and KOTOR still to come in '04?).

Perhaps if I started travelling for work more I'd pick up a portable system...

If I took public transport to work I'd consider it. As it is, I don't travel enough to justify a portable system and at home, I spend most of my time with my Xbox (can you say Halo2, and KOTOR still to come in '04?).

Portable systems aren't just for your workday commutes. I like to play my GBA on my lunch break at work, on the can when it's time for #2, and even a little bit in bed after I've tucked myself in for the night.

The more I read about the DS, the more promising it looks.

If I took public transport to work I'd consider it.  As it is, I don't travel enough to justify a portable system and at home, I spend most of my time with my Xbox (can you say Halo2, and KOTOR still to come in '04?).

Portable systems aren't just for your workday commutes. I like to play my GBA on my lunch break at work, on the can when it's time for #2, and even a little bit in bed after I've tucked myself in for the night.

i can agree with that. i play my gba when i head up to my cabin in the woods, its much easier to lug it around than unplugging a computer or a ps2 and lugging it up there and plug it back in then pack it back up to bring it home.

If I took public transport to work I'd consider it.  As it is, I don't travel enough to justify a portable system and at home, I spend most of my time with my Xbox (can you say Halo2, and KOTOR still to come in '04?).

i can agree with that. i play my gba when i head up to my cabin in the woods, its much easier to lug it around than unplugging a computer or a ps2 and lugging it up there and plug it back in then pack it back up to bring it home.

You guys all have good points. Perhaps I use 'those' times for reading (toilet and bed) and we don't have a cabin yet. Though I imagine if we did, we'd have an Xbox there full time.

I actually don't like DS because it got moving parts.... which also makes me hate samsung phones. :rolleyes:

It has moving parts, but I shouldn't imagine that'd it have more moving parts than a GBA SP. The DS still uses cartridges.

And what's wrong with your Samsung phone? I've had a Samsung phone for nearly two years now. I want to get a new phone, but only because the technology in mine is so dated now. I've never actually had any problems with it.

Wow, that video actually catches my interest more than anything about the DS i've seen to date. The gameplay possibilities seem pretty creative (conducting surgery??) - - Pretty neat stuff. Its like PDA gaming taken to the next level. Of course Nintendo are gameplay masters, so they'd at least make this interesting.

Now I'm in intrigued; I'll still probably wait to see what people think of quality issues like the screen (does it scratch easily like a pda, etc)

i don't know.. i'm still waiting to see if the DS is the next Virtual Boy. i lost most my faith for nintendo after the 64. its like they don't have enough focus groups or something when they make new systems. like they never got a guys opinion about how gay a console would be if they added a handle and made it like a purse?

and stylus based games..? i don't know.. would rather just mash a d-pad and A & B.

20 years of video games and the best they can do is give you a toothpick and a touch screen to play with?

PSP will be something to check out tho. but its pretty big and it seems to have a pretty short battery life. it'll be cool to watch movies and stuff on it tho.

The touchscreen sure looks great fun to mme... I wonder what Sony got in answer to that.

They have a system that plays PS2 games that you probably already own, but will have to buy again to play on the portable, which isn't really portable due the ridiculously short battery life, has little in the way of original content, that plays movies that you already own but will have to purchase again on the proprietary media, assuming that the movie ends before the battery runs out, has no protection for it's screen, plays mp3s, provided that you buy memory sticks for it and don't already have a better mp3 player like an iPod, will probably shatter the first time you accidentally drop it on the bus, and will most likely cost more than it would to buy a DS and three games for said DS.

That sure sounds like a plan to get the number one spot in a market that Nintendo has all but monopolized for 18 years to me. :rolleyes: