The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

With the ever looming release date of Nov.22 for Nintendo's newest foray into *their* handheld market (at least until the PSP materialises) who many of you MWer's are going to plonk down your hard earned cash for this double screen, stylus using beauty?

Personally I intend to wait it out a little longer to gauge what kind of software is available on release.

Anybody's two cents welcome! :DB))

I'm thinking about it. I mean, the price seems reasonable, the newer DS games like New Super Mario Bros look pretty good, confirmed titles in development like the new Castlevania should be promising, and it plays all my GBA games, so I might very well trade my SP for it.

That said, though, I'm thinking I'm gonna hold off for a little bit. There's too many console games coming out right now, and I can't afford everything.

Not OT, have we got confirmation on the US price and release date for the PSP? How much are the games and media running for the two system. I really havent kept up as much as I used to. :unsure:

Not sure if one has been released for the US yet, but the Japanese price tag will be the equivalent of $350. :blink:

Saw some streamed presentations of it on gamespot.com... very neat handheld... only bad thing compared to sony is that the dual screens are too seperated from each other, i'd rather have 1 wide screen.

But the cool feature is to be touchscreen and built in communicator for 100yrds. :)

I think the games going to be offered wil judge who's the winner.

So far, sony showed cooler games than the DS, but downside is they use CD (motor driven) as a medium rather than a hardware memory.

Edited by Kin

Not OT, have we got confirmation on the US price and release date for the PSP? How much are the games and media running for the two system. I really havent kept up as much as I used to. :unsure:

Not sure if one has been released for the US yet, but the Japanese price tag will be the equivalent of $350. :blink:

Hah, HAH!

No.

The U.S. price for the system is $150.

Hah, HAH!

No.

He was talking about the PSP, wich is definenty going to be more $150 USD.

you now what i heard on bloomberg as i was flipping though the channels they said the Nintendo DS is aimed at the under 15 and the Sony PSP is for the over 15 just wont to hear your opinions on this

They say that about all Sony & Nintendo products. The two manufacturer MARKET the products for different demographics. However, that is largely based on the average content rating of their respective systems.

you now what i heard on bloomberg as i was flipping though the channels they said the Nintendo DS is aimed at the under 15 and the Sony PSP is for the over 15 just wont to hear your opinions on this

I think that sounds about typical for Nintendo products vs. Sony.

Vostok 7

I also don't have time for the PC or GC games I have alone. New handheld holds no interest for me.

I also don't have time for the PC or GC games I have alone. New handheld holds no interest for me.

Same.

I have far to many games on my PC, PS2 And Game Cube that just sit here and collect dust do to lack of time. So I don't have time for overpriced Will be marked down in 6 months handhelds.

Hah, HAH!

No.

He was talking about the PSP, wich is definenty going to be more $150 USD.

EB has been taking pre-orders for the PSP at $299.99 USD.

However, there's also this article:

http://www.ferrago.com/story/2730

Seems to indicate a Japanese and European price point nearer to $450 for the PSP.

My comment about a $150 price tag was me thinking we were talking about the Nintendo DS. Apologies. I've been running on entirely too little sleep lately.

As for whether or not I'll be picking up a DS? Most likely. I tend to play far more portable games than console or PC games. When I am at home, I tend to spend all my free time working on a ton of projects that leave me little time for more than a few minutes of DOOM3 or Crimson Skies now and then.

I probably won't pick up a DS for some time, though. I'm just fine with my GBA SP for the time being, got plenty of games I really want to play yet. This will also give both the PSP and the DS adequate time to hit the market and show what they're capable of. I am rarely let down by Nintendo, and I'm rarely happy with Sony's offerings, but I go where the games are. If the PSP comes out and wows me enough, I'll pick it up over a DS in a heartbeat. Even though everything I've seen on both systems leads me to believe the DS will be better suited to me, you never really can tell until the systems and games are out there.

i second grahms notion of a book while traveling. they dont run out of batteries and people wont steal them. the system seems cool but it just sems out of place to release such a thing right now for nintendo or sony. dont our cell phones and palm pilots do enough and make enough noise to annoy others around us or keep us busy. that and theres no macross games on them as far as i know :D

If they work on the button allocation and get rid of fire being a tap with the stylus then I will jsut for that game.

Apparently, they have completely redesigned the control system for Metroid on DS, which allows more intuitive use of the D-pad this time around. Don't forget that the machine comes bundled with a demo of the game too.

So far, sony showed cooler games than the DS, but downside is they use CD (motor driven) as a medium rather than a hardware memory.

Sony didn't show cooler games, they showed PS2 port after PS2 port. I'm not going to buy my games twice, once for the PS2 and once for on the john. Same as I'm not buying my movies twice, once on DVD, and once on UMD.

The problem with this so-called "marketing to the older crowd" is that everyone assumes that the older crowd wants more bells and whistles and has more money to pay for them, which really isn't the case. To that end, I think that the PSP has a lot in common with the N-Gage. If I'm going to buy a cell phone, I'll buy a nice cell phone. If I want an mp3 player, I'll buy maybe the new Pocket VAIO. If I want a portable movie player, I could buy a nice portable DVD player, but I think I'll stick to watching movies on my laptop when I'm on the road. And if I want a game machine, I'll buy a machine dedicated to playing games. I'm not willing to spend $300+ on a handheld. I'm definately not willing to spend that much when the reason it's so expensive is because they added a ton of features I don't want. I'm especially inclined not to buy said handheld when all of those features chew the battery life down to around 2 hours average.

I'm not a Sony hater. My PC, my VCR, and my laptop are all Sony. I liked the PSone, I like the PS2, and I'll probably buy a PS3 at launch. But it's gonna be a cold day in hell before I blow $300 on the PSP.

Nov 22 is shortly after my birthday so naturally I won't have to worry about getting it. Having a birthday late in the year but not too close to Christmas is the best ever date to have one. Especially when your friends know what you like. I always get great gifts and consoles are no exception.

Edited by Jemstone

I will get mine for free... guess why :p