The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

BTW that linked auction in your sig.... holy crap thats alot of videogame stuff

Yeah, man. Think of the shipping cost alone! :blink:

Yeah, I just saw that. Actually I live 3 hr away from there, but event then I think I'd need a U-Haul to get all that mess (including 12 grand apparently) :(

But what's this thing against console loyalty? I understand to some extent what you're saying, but it does account for something I believe. I've had about 6 Nintendo systems(not including every manifestation of Gameboy), and man have those things been durable(except the infamous NES starting rituals ;) ). Everything from high-altitude falls to anti-brother-warheads to standing water hasn't phased my Nintendoes. I think the only cou-de-ta has been setting a GB game on top of a toaster oven and melting it alitlle. That's why I think the DS will be able to take some punishment.

But I guess you're talking about the games more. I've never really had to worry about picking up a Nintendo game and not having fun with it. Most people are casual gamers if anything, right? Seeing as I have no real time for games now, GC has done me quite well with what it's offering, but of course I had to get the PS2 for Macross if nothing else. B))

btw, Panzer, YOU WEN AT TEH INTERW3B!!! :blink::p

Yeah, but can a Nintendo system take a bullet like the Xbox can?

Man, I wish I could still find a link to that story.

Yes you need to find that story. :lol:

why can't jemstone and dejr8bud make any sense in their posts? i can't figure out if jem is saying shes a girl or not... :rolleyes:

besides what the fart is wrong with console loyalty? i have an xbox, i know its the poo and thats the one i buy games for, post about and defend. i don't like the gaycube lol and ps2. i've had both and now i just have an xbox, it rules.

Where's the ignore function when it's needed? You're not funny and your sarscasm regarding my gender is as entertaining and tired as a 96 year old sagging stripper. Your arguments for console loyalty (if your last post is supposed to be one) are weak. A little more than just rolling your eyes next time if you must add anything.

umm.. stop reading my posts then genius if you don't wanna hear what i have to say. you seem to have a lot of anger.. don't get mad at people on the internet, not good for yer nerves lol and i like how my post was edited, it reads like a mad lib or something :D

besides what the fart is wrong with console loyalty? i have an xbox, i know its the poo and thats the one i buy games for, post about and defend. i don't like the gaycube lol and ps2. i've had both and now i just have an xbox, it rules.

There's nothing wrong with console loyalty, if you don't buy consoles for the games. Most people that buy consoles do it so they can be cool, just like everyone else on their block.

Unfortunately, this does hurt the videogame industry for those that actually do like videogames and want the best videogames the industry has to offer. Look at the PS2, everyone bit into the hype, even when it was revealed that Sony was lying about the abilities of the PS2, people still hailed it as the best of the next gen consoles. Sega saw that everyone was going to drop their Dreamcast like a bad habit, and they rolled over and died. PS2 hits the stores, no games really worth mentioning until about a year or TWO after it launches. It's still the most popular console, not because it has the best games or the best technology, but is considered the coolest console.

PSX at least had better 3D hardware than the Saturn, and more texture mapping space, RAM, and 3rd party support than the N64, so even though it didn't have all the best games, even though some of it's games were better on the other systems. Even though most of the 2D games of that generation were better than the 3D games and the PSX couldn't do 2D for crap, you can still point at it and explain the merits it did have that brought it to the top. PS2 just rides the wave of brand loyalty.

why can't jemstone and dejr8bud make any sense in their posts? i can't figure out if jem is saying shes a girl or not... :rolleyes:

I make sense just fine. And how many profiles do you have on MW? From a few hints it sounds like you have another profile. Stop being a farting dick or go troll elsewhere dumbass

And now back to Nintendo DS discussion...

There's nothing wrong with console loyalty, if you don't buy consoles for the games. Most people that buy consoles do it so they can be cool, just like everyone else on their block.

Unfortunately, this does hurt the videogame industry for those that actually do like videogames and want the best videogames the industry has to offer. Look at the PS2, everyone bit into the hype, even when it was revealed that Sony was lying about the abilities of the PS2, people still hailed it as the best of the next gen consoles. Sega saw that everyone was going to drop their Dreamcast like a bad habit, and they rolled over and died. PS2 hits the stores, no games really worth mentioning until about a year or TWO after it launches. It's still the most popular console, not because it has the best games or the best technology, but is considered the coolest console.

PSX at least had better 3D hardware than the Saturn, and more texture mapping space, RAM, and 3rd party support than the N64, so even though it didn't have all the best games, even though some of it's games were better on the other systems. Even though most of the 2D games of that generation were better than the 3D games and the PSX couldn't do 2D for crap, you can still point at it and explain the merits it did have that brought it to the top. PS2 just rides the wave of brand loyalty.

While the PS2 is technically the most inferior system, it still has some pretty sweet games. It'd be nice if it were a little less jaggy, and it's got some awful load times, though. Criterion's Renderware engine helps a bit, though. Some of my favorite series on the PS2 include Onimusha, Zone of the Enders, and Ace Combat. I also lean toward PS2 for racers and fighters if they're not Live enabled, and if a Megaman game is released for PS2 and Gamecube like the Anniversary Collection and Command Mission were, I get it for PS2.

Gamecube... well, I got Soul Calibur for the Cube, because Link is cooler than Spawn or Heihachi. And it's got Megaman Network Transmission... as a Megaman fan, my collection wouldn't be complete without it. I love the Gameboy Player, too, because sometimes it's nice to play Megaman Zero on the big TV. Mostly it just collects dust, though. I'm not really into Nintendo's first party stuff.

Xbox... rapidly becoming my system of choice. Xbox Live makes it easier to keep track of friends and set up matches online. The Xbox controller is also great for shooters (unless you're a PC elitist... then I realize that nothing works for you but a mouse and keyboard), although not so good for air combat games like Ace Combat. The hard drive also kicks bootie for sports games... no more needing to buy extra memory cards just because the new Madden takes up half of one! More games on the Xbox support Dolby Digital surround sound, which is a wonderful thing, and games that are designed specifically for Xbox instead of being developed for PS2 and ported to Xbox are often things of beauty... most notably the Dead of Alive series and Ninja Gaiden. When a game comes out on mulitple systems, I usually buy the Xbox version, especially if it's Live enabled. The Xbox doesn't get much love in Japan, though, and consequently, not enough good Japanese games, especially RPGs.

All in all, I don't think the PS2 is top dog because "it's the cool system." I think careful marketing, backwards compatibility, and the PlayStation brand helped to get it out and in people's homes before the Xbox and Gamecube were even released. And while it's taken awhile, the PS2 has filled out its library with more variety than the other consoles offer. Much as I loved the Dreamcast, Sega built it as a console to compete with the N64 and the original PlayStation. They released to early and were too shortsighted, and never really stood a chance. While Xbox has gained a lot of steam, there's not enough family friendly games, and they've failed to capture the Japanese market, and thus not get enough attention from that crowd of people that gravitate less toward games like Halo or Need for Speed Underground and more toward Final Fantasy and Katamari Damacy. Nintendo, on the other hand, had definately got the attention of that crowd with games like Tales of Symphonia and Pikmin, and Nintendo's got a reputation for being kid-friendly. Unfortunately, they've also got a reputation for being too kid-friendly, and there's really not enough "mainstream" content on the Cube.

DS is gonna rock, hands down. Well, from what I'm seeing... Wario Ware... mmm...

Those damn PC "elitists" and their rodents... :rolleyes:

Hell, I'm thinkin even the DS' stylus will be better than a joystick for FPS control. That remains to be seen though... then there's this whole "revolution" thing Nintendo has mentioned...

Hell, I'm thinkin even the DS' stylus will be better than a joystick for FPS control. That remains to be seen though... then there's this whole "revolution" thing Nintendo has mentioned...

i doubt it but in anycase, who cares a bout fps on those dinky little screens. handhelds are for simple puzzle and score games. 2d stuff like that.

i'm wondering how useful analog control is going to be in bumpy car/train/plane rides anyway.

i tried to used my laptop's mouse in the plane on the way to seattle a few weeks ago and i saw a huge change in my accuracy because of the little bumps and stuff.

i do wish the DS had the sleek and profesional looks of the PSP.

i do wish the DS had the sleek and profesional looks of the PSP.

a professional video gaming device?

yes if i'm carrying something around i want it to look like it means buisness. i know it's for playing videogames but that doesn't mean it has to look like it was made for kids.

i mean... look at the psp. it looks like something for adults, it looks like a professional peice of hardware. the DS looks like a kids toy. big bulbous buttons, smoothed out safty edges.

so yeah.

I guess. I figured it was game-play that mattered... but hey... if you wanna spend more money to look cooler then more power to ya. I just never thought that video gaming systems were status symbols past Jr. High. :)

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the DS (the non-blatant rehashes).

I'm interested in the PSP also, but we'll see how that pans out. It will be definitely be interesting to see how Sony fares in the handheld market.

I guess. I figured it was game-play that mattered... but hey... if you wanna spend more money to look cooler then more power to ya. I just never thought that video gaming systems were status symbols past Jr. High. :)

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the DS (the non-blatant rehashes).

I'm interested in the PSP also, but we'll see how that pans out. It will be definitely be interesting to see how Sony fares in the handheld market.

yeah... well it is all about game play, i already said that. i just wish the ds also looked as polished as the psp. the look of the console won't be a deciding factor in which i get.

• 1 month later...

hehehe, was playing Feel the magic and asphalt urban GT on the DS :p Played the Metroid Demo as well, the graphics on that is simlar to the DreamCast (well, it's better than the PS1 and N64 for sure). I can't wait till Sund for the offical release :D

We got DS displays at work today. A co-worker and I played with the Pictochat for awhile. Now that I've actually had my hands on a unit and had time to fiddle with it, I really like it. I'm not too interested in any of the launch games, but there's some stuff like the New Super Mario Bros and Final Fantasy III that I'll be interested in. In the meantime, I'll enjoy finishing Pokemon Leaf Green, Final Fantasy I & II, and the GBA Megaman Anniversary Collection with it.

As interesting as the DS may be, I'm gonna hold off on getting it for a while. Last time I got a system the first day it's out (the SP), I kicked myself for it when I learned they're released it in additional colors. I wanted the black SP so bad, too. T_T

Dunno whether or not the DS will go the way of the VB, but we'll see.

Also, I've been reading about a couple of things. First off, I saw an article for a device that turns the DS or SP into a porta-TV. What's next? Using the TV-DS to view PS2 games on that smaller PS2? LOL j/k there.

Secondly, on the DS, you can only play DS and GBA games; no GBC or older games. I know the DS isn't fully GBA-compatible, but c'mon! I'm sure some people are considering trading in their SP's for the DS. The least they could do is offer DS owners a peripheral that goes into the DS cart slot and gives full SP capabilities, y'know? Link port and the "notches" for the E-Reader and GBA-GCN cable. Then again, if the DS's physically unable to accept GBC and GB games (remember, GBA games have those notches) we're just FUBAR'ed. I want my Tetris!! @_@

Time will tell.

As interesting as the DS may be, I'm gonna hold off on getting it for a while. Last time I got a system the first day it's out (the SP), I kicked myself for it when I learned they're released it in additional colors. I wanted the black SP so bad, too. T_T

Dunno whether or not the DS will go the way of the VB, but we'll see.

Also, I've been reading about a couple of things. First off, I saw an article for a device that turns the DS or SP into a porta-TV. What's next? Using the TV-DS to view PS2 games on that smaller PS2? LOL j/k there.

Secondly, on the DS, you can only play DS and GBA games; no GBC or older games. I know the DS isn't fully GBA-compatible, but c'mon! I'm sure some people are considering trading in their SP's for the DS. The least they could do is offer DS owners a peripheral that goes into the DS cart slot and gives full SP capabilities, y'know? Link port and the "notches" for the E-Reader and GBA-GCN cable. Then again, if the DS's physically unable to accept GBC and GB games (remember, GBA games have those notches) we're just FUBAR'ed. I want my Tetris!! @_@

Time will tell.

People discover that NDS's GBA slot is not a totally GBA slot...

The slot has some extra "holes" for future DS devices to plug in.

You mean like this TV :p

From magic box

"Nintendo of Japan announced they are working on a TV Tuner both Nintendo DS and GameBoy Advance SP, called the DSTV Tuner, it will be compatible with both GBA-SP and Nintendo DS, and it operates on 3 alkaline batteries, which can run for 6 hours. The DSTV Tuner is scheduled for a spring 2005 release, for 9240 yen."

post-26-1100994209.jpg

Part of the problem with the backwards compatibility is that the GBA and GBA SP actually have two processors, one for GBA and one for older Gameboy. The DS will also have two processors... one for GBA, and one for DS.

Seriously, I'm not crying about that. Capcom's making a GBA Megaman collection that has the original Gameboy Megaman 1-5, and as for Tetris... well, I 'd love to have it on my cell phone, for those moments when I find myself waiting around for something, but it's not a game I'd actively want to play on a DS. Literally all of the portable games I have and play now are GBA, and the DS does that, so I'm good.

As for colors, I'm cool with silver. Black or white would be fine, but anything else looks too much like a toy and less like a high-tech piece of consumer electronics.

haha

People think silver, black, or white will mask their toys they carry around? :p

It's not a case of masking the toy but more of what color of toy I prefer, such as my black GCN. =P

Gunbuster, good job finding the info and pic. v^_^ The DS-SP TV is a good example of using peripherals to enhance a handheld. The point I was trying to make was my wish for Nintendo to make a peripheral that would make the DS **fully** backwards compatible with previous GB/GBC/GBA titles, complete with ability to use the link cables, GBA wireless adapter, etc.

If not, just goes to show that Nintendo's gonna once again milk us until the next-gen GB system.

Personally, if Capcom makes MegaMan Zero 4 for the DS, I'm sold. Playing old-skool games on a handheld lacking X and Y buttons are driving me bonkers. @_@ Maybe the DS will see the revival of Super Mario RPG from the SNES. *_*

Shyeah, I wish... -_-

Part of the problem with the backwards compatibility is that the GBA and GBA SP actually have two processors, one for GBA and one for older Gameboy. The DS will also have two processors... one for GBA, and one for DS.

One big diffrence here...

In the GBA the 8-bit GB processor is inacessable in GBA mode(total waste of a chip, and evidence to support my belief that the GBA was rushed to market to stop Bandai and SNK).

In the DS both CPUs operate in parallel in DS mode. And the performance disparity is small enough that the system can really be considered a dual-proc device.

Anyways... I'll trade my GBA in for a GBColor when I get a DS.

Neither incarnation of the GBA is really pleasing to me(one's got a crappy d-pad, the other's too damn small). The DS has neither unit's flaws(well, not untill the LiIon packs start failing...). And while teh GBC isn't my favorite system ever, it's the most convenient 8Bit GB.

haha

It's not so much that the color will mask it... but the brighter, fruity colors of the original GBA made it look like something for young children. Silver says, "I'm a toy, but a toy adults can play with."

haha

It's not so much that the color will mask it... but the brighter, fruity colors of the original GBA made it look like something for young children. Silver says, "I'm a toy, but a toy adults can play with."

Never really was an issue for me. It could be pink and I'd still play it. I use the devices for games, not fashion statements.

The jury is still out on the DS for me, but its looking tempting...

haha

Never really was an issue for me. It could be pink and I'd still play it. I use the devices for games, not fashion statements.

The jury is still out on the DS for me, but its looking tempting...

I won't NOT play something because of the aesthetics, but IDO like having options.

Given the choice between a yellow and translucent purple GameBoy, which would YOU get? I got yellow, because it wasn't hideous.

If purple was the only option, I'd've still gotten one. But I liked the yellow one a lot more.

Edited by JB0

Ok, I got my first hands on impressions at the local Best Buy this evening, and I must say, my opinion of this little beast has definatly changed for the better.

At first I totally dismissed the system as some sort of silly gadget with the 2 screens, and the fact that the stylus was (gasp) detachable. The PSP seemed so slim and sexy, and it had this huge honkin' screen. However, with a few min of playing the Metroid game for the DS, I was totally hooked. I first grasped the device with to hands, much as one would hold a normal hand-held system. Then, in a stroke of magic, the clerc showed me that I could in fact use the stylus to aim while I used my other hand to move. At first I was totally bummed, because, you see, I am left handed, so naturally I held the sytlus in my left hand, but the D-pad is also on the left side of the device. Then a stray finger on my right hand accidentilly hit one of the buttons, and Samus took a step forward. Oh yes, this was good...

Using the stylus to aim felt so natural, much better than any dual joystick setup on the other system, it felt much like I was using a mouse on a PC first person shooter, and my accuracy reflected as such. Normally, with a console FPS, I have to fumble with the actual aiming joystick before scoring a direct hit (I suck at Halo -.-), but with the stylus aiming, I was totally in my element.

So, in conclusion, the DS is not the gimicky wannabe I first took it for, but rather a wonderful piece of creative thinking. Now the last test is to play on a PSP. I hope is fares just as well, but so far the odds seem stacked in favor of the DS.

Edited by one_klump

Then, in a stroke of magic, the clerc showed me that I could in fact use the stylus to aim while I used my other hand to move. At first I was totally bummed, because, you see, I am left handed, so naturally I held the sytlus in my left hand, but the D-pad is also on the left side of the device. Then a stray finger on my right hand accidentilly hit one of the buttons, and Samus took a step forward. Oh yes, this was good...

Yah. The abundance of control options is a nice feature.

Using the stylus to aim felt so natural, much better than any dual joystick setup on the other system, it felt much like I was using a mouse on a PC first person shooter, and my accuracy reflected as such.

It's funny you mention that, because it reminded me why and exactly how much I hate mice for most gaming.

I vastly prefer trackballs because I can keep going in a continuous motion instead of the classic stop-lift-reverse-drop maneuver that steals so many moments from my attack. the fact that a half row of the touch-sensitive grid was already dead didn't help, either. WHAT do the undisciplined brats that were running rampant DO to these things?

Unfortunately, neither d-pads nor button diamonds seem very intuitive for aiming/turning.

I will definitely have to practice that if I adopt the DS Metroid game as one in my collection, unless the thumb stylus plays far better than the pen stylus does(it's quite possible).

Some more time with it and I may pick out a control scheme to like as opposed to tolerate.

I picked one up.

Its worth it just to play GBA games in frontlit high visual quality with loud stereo sound.

Im quite happy with it. It will be the end of an era with my GBA though. Ive had that thing since Christmas 2001 and have used it at least 2 hours a week for close to 3 years.

But all things change and its time for a new system to rise up to the challenge, sending the GBA back into its box to sleep and dream next to its Game Boy and Game Boy Color Siblings.