The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

Q. What`s the best Sonic game for GBA and was there an Altered Beast for the GBA, is it worth it ?         

PS: Did any of you guys see the new Sonic DS game, they say it`s awesome.

334639[/snapback]

Subjectively here, but the altered Beast GBA game can be found at lots' of EB-Gamestop whatever type places used for 5.99. If you liked the Altered Beast games, I would say go for it, it has the same gameplay and lots of unlockable extra characters. Straightforward game, if you lked Altered Beast you will probably love this little cartridge, especiialy if you get it used for under 6 dollars :)

Wow, toss in another reccomendation for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Glad I didn't wait to pick this baby up. It's too early for me to claim it's the best Castlevania ever, however it's certainly the prettiest. It didn't take long for me to forgive the change in art style, since the game itself is such a visual treat.

Of course if I wasn't having so much fun with the game itself so far then I wouldn't be so hyped on the visuals. I had trouble putting it down so I could get to sleep.

A month ago I picked up the new Blue DS, I love it to death cause blue is my favorite color. I almost picked up Nintendogs but everywhere I went was sold out cause of some pormotional deal that was going around or something the weekend prior to my purchasing.

But I did get Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trabadour and like it.

This is my second, yes SECOND DS cause I got rid of the original due to pixel problems and to put towards my PSP which is now coming out in White......dammit all.

I took a look at the Micro and all I really gotta say is WHY? I mean, spend 30 dollars more, and you can DS and Advanced games while the Micro can only do Advanced......so why bother?

Not too mention the screen is smaller and the overal size of this thing is tiny, its like Cell Phone generation for the GBA, I completely dislike it.

I took a look at the Micro and all I really gotta say is WHY? I mean, spend 30 dollars more, and you can DS and Advanced games while the Micro can only do Advanced......so why bother?

Not too mention the screen is smaller and the overal size of this thing is tiny, its like Cell Phone generation for the GBA, I completely dislike it.

I think I already said why.

For starters, yes, the screen is small. It's also totally viewable. The screen is much more crisp and bright than the original SP or even the backlit DS screens. I've tried it wtih Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls and Pokemon Leaf Green, and in both cases the text is perfectly readable. I switched to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, and not only was the action on screen easy to follow, but the tiny numbers that show how much damage you've inflicted or taken are still readable. Finally, to crank up the action, I tried Megaman Zero, and again, no trouble following the action even with its twitch gameplay. In other words, despite it's smaller size, I like the Micro's screen 2nd only to the PSP's.

And, remember that the smaller screen comes with a much smaller unit overall. This increases the portability. The SP fits in my pocket so-so. The PSP and DS are downright uncomfortable in the pocket. But the Micro, like my cell phone, isn't even noticeable in my pocket. In fact, its diminutive size encourages me to take it places where I wouldn't even consider bringing my PSP or DS. Yet, despite it's size, it's not at all uncomfortable to hold or play. This is a point of contention for me with the DS, since the A button is too close to the edge, and since it retains the B-B A-A button configuration in GBA mode instead of a more sensible Y-B B-A, playing Gameboy games on the DS is downright uncomfortable. RPGs like Final Fantasy are doable, but twitch action games like Megaman Zero are impossible. So, IMHO, the DS is for DS games, and a good Gameboy is still necessary for most GBA games, and the Micro is worth the extra $20 over the SP (even with the two new backlit SPs).

Does the fact that the Micro can't play old Gameboy games hurt it? Not really. The GBA has a ton of great titles in it's library, but the old Gameboy really only has a few gems. As a matter of fact, I don't even own any older Gameboy or Gameboy Color Games anymore.

Personally I feel that not being able to play my "gems" even if they're over 10 years old does hurt me as a consumer. While a small design to fit in my pocket would be a huge benefit to being sneaked in school or work or where ever you feel possible, if I got some hankerin to play an oldie, I can't cause micro wont do it.

I thought Nintendo was playing super smart there in the beginning, but to now phase its GBA system away from its past games is a let down.

While there are alot of games out for the GBA system, I want substance to play my old games.

That's how I feel about it, others can feel different, but I'm not impressed by the Micro. Infact, everything I heard from Nintendo has almost been a complete letdown except for the unique controler for the Revolution.

Another killer DS app if you have at least 3 friends with DS units is Bomberman. You only need one cart for 8 player wifi multiplayer. Best MP game on the go.

334773[/snapback]

I had this other GB bomberman game, the neat thing about that is you could connect it to the Super GB and 4 people with the one cart too.

I don't think it's been posted here yet but the NEW GBA SP has the BEST SCREEN out of either the Micro or the DS!

The new GBA SP backlit screen is amazing, but Nintendo didn't announce the change because they didn't want to detract from sales of the Micro.

My Video

Edited by ComicKaze

Personally I feel that not being able to play my "gems" even if they're over 10 years old does hurt me as a consumer. While a small design to fit in my pocket would be a huge benefit to being sneaked in school or work or where ever you feel possible, if I got some hankerin to play an oldie, I can't cause micro wont do it.

I just emulate it. On my PSP, at that. The PSP has a great Gameboy Color emulator.

Seriously, I'm not all that bothered by the fact that my Micro doesn't play older Gameboy games, because I sold them off years ago. Just like I no longer own any NES, SNES, or N64 carts.

I don't think it's been posted here yet but the NEW GBA SP has the BEST SCREEN out of either the Micro or the DS!

Actually (and I have the Pearl Blue SP with the new backlit screen, too), the newer SP uses the same technology as the Micro. And being able to to a side by side comparison, it actually works better for the Micro. The new SP has a few issues with the refresh rate, and only two brightness levels, not quite bright enough and way too bright. Not to mention the fact that, if you like it brighter, you have to change it manually every time you turn the SP on. The Micro has several brightness levels (my personal preference being just one above the dimmest), and it remembers where you set it.

I just emulate it. On my PSP, at that. The PSP has a great Gameboy Color emulator.

Seriously, I'm not all that bothered by the fact that my Micro doesn't play older Gameboy games, because I sold them off years ago. Just like I no longer own any NES, SNES, or N64 carts.

Actually (and I have the Pearl Blue SP with the new backlit screen, too), the newer SP uses the same technology as the Micro. And being able to to a side by side comparison, it actually works better for the Micro. The new SP has a few issues with the refresh rate, and only two brightness levels, not quite bright enough and way too bright. Not to mention the fact that, if you like it brighter, you have to change it manually every time you turn the SP on. The Micro has several brightness levels (my personal preference being just one above the dimmest), and it remembers where you set it.

335051[/snapback]

You can also emulate GB and NES and Master System, and a whole whack of stuff on the GBA, which is pretty much what I do. It's amazing to see these old games on a small backlit LCD.

As for the SP vs Micro debate, the SP screen is the same resolution as the micro, but the screen is much bigger and well...bigger is better in my opinion irregardless of light levels and I haven't noticed any refresh rate/response time issues.

I agree with ComicKaze, the "new SP" screen is better than the micro and the DS. yes, there is a minor refresh issue with the SP (its' really minor), but that's because the screen is brighter, crispier, and the colors are more vibrante that you can see the refresh issue.

I also agree with mikeszekely about the micro, the micro is truely portable. When I travel, I'm more likely to bring my micro everywhere I go now and leave my other "portables" home.

I have the Play-yan micro which converts my micro (or SP, DS) into a MP3 and MPeg4 player :D

The new GBA SP backlit screen is amazing, but Nintendo didn't announce the change because they didn't want to detract from sales of the Micro.

My Video

335036[/snapback]

yah I posted it on the "Gamecube vs PS2 MULTIPLAYER?, What will the girlfriend love best?" thread last month, thou I wished they made it you can still turn off the light instead of the two levels of brightness and add in the lighted buttons like the gba micro.

edit:

keep a look out if your a flasher :lol: need anti virus for your ds j/k but having your ds firmware wiped is not cool.

link

Edited by Zentrandude

• 2 weeks later...
Yawn. Do we really need another FF remake?

338716[/snapback]

Well, FF3 has never been released this side of the Pacific before, and it looks like instead of a simple port or minor graphical facelift, they're going all out.

In other news, it seems a new Mario Paint may be headed towards the DS. I was never into the original, but being an artsy type, the idea of having a minature oekaki board that I can take wherever I go definitely perks my interest. I just hope you can upload art to your computer.

Well, I finally went and bought a DS... with all the store credit I already had racked up at Game Stop, plus what was added after I brought back "Darkwatch" (an "ok" game, but way too short for my tastes), I got nearly $40 off the price of a used, like-new DS. I also purchased the new Castlevania.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it all. The new Castlevania ("Dawn of Sorrow") plays pretty damn well. I can't quite put it above SotN, but then, I'm only about 30 minutes into the game... time will tell ultimately.

Question about the DS: Is there some way I can install a planner function in it? It seems strange that it has such an elaborate clock setup and everything else, but no planner. Maybe one is out and I've just missed it, I dunno but it would be cool to have.

I don't have any problems with the size or brightness level of the screens on my DS... maybe it's just "new owner contentness", but everything seems pretty hoss.

I wondered the same thing about a planner, but no. Not yet at least. It's one of many things that seems obvious for the DS and yet is not there. Still, the Dreamcast, Saturn, and other consoles have had a clock, and they were sometimes used to great effect by some imaginative games like Seaman and Nights. Hopefully we'll see some DS games where Christmas items and levels become unlocked when the Holidays arrive. I'm kinda dissapointed that we haven't seen any Halloween content in Castlevania or something.

I've had my DS since a couple days after Advance Wars came out, and I have no complaints with the system size (it's comparable to my old, pre-SP, GBA), or the screen brightness. Has anyone really been complaining about the screen brightness? I know there has been some comparison between the various portable's screens, but I don't think the DS screen has been so outshined (no pun intended) that it warrants critisism in this regard. All I know is that it's a huge step up in quality from the original SP's screen.

As for durability, well if you're determined enough in your endeavours, I'm certain you could blow $130 bucks and seperate the two halves of your DS. Not certain why you'd want to. I do know that the DS is durable enough for my uses, so far. I prefere to be somewhat careless with my treatment of handhelds. I can't bring myself to treat a portable system like some fragile, delicate piece of expensive machinery. I toss my DS haphazardly into my bag every night before work, or drop it into my pants pockets. It's held up remarkable well so far. Not so much as a scratch, despite a drop it took a while back. If I managed to get it into a box, sealed up and on store shelves, you'd be hard pressed to tell it was a used system despite my lack of care.

So long as they aren't forced to drop gameplay elements to accomodate the 3D (such as in limited the types of weapons characters can use so that the animators don't have to create too many weapons animations) I'm digging the graphical jump. I enjoy 2D games, but it's not like 3D drastically changes RPG game mechanics, these aren't platformers after all.

Still, it would be most excellent if there were a translated version of the original Famicom original hidden inside the game.

As much as I am looking forward to the new FFIII, I am *not* an advocate of "3D makes everything better", because quite simply, it doesn't. All one has to do is look at the Castlevania franchise to see that. While the PS2 entries (Lament of Innocence, and the one that is coming out soon) Look and play very well (at least in LoI's case, for the time being, I'll assume the new one isn't much different), the side-scrolling entries seen on the GBA and the newest one on DS are much more pleasant to play. No wonky camera control, menus are easy to navigate and don't require that you get your ass kicked while you're trying to use them. "Dawn of Sorrow" is 2D and still manages to land in the top 2-3 games of the year.

Not a rant at any one person, per-say, but there are a lot of weak-minded fools out there that assume "if it isn't 3D, it's not worth playing". Konami, thank you once again for proving them wrong :)

Yes I agree, do you know that may be I`m the only who doesn`t really like Cv-LOI cuz it`s a 3D, I was offered to play it but I didn`t feel like playing I know it has awesome graphics and a cool OST but I don`t care and I prefer Cv-AOS over it :) . As for Cv-DOS didn`t play it yet, I know its awesome cuz my friend has it and completed it.

PS: My all time fave Cv: Cv-4(SNES), Cv-3(NES) and Cv-AOS(GBA).

2D and 3D is like the difference between markers and paints. Acrylics and Watercolours. Apples and oranges. Having a game be 3D doesn't make it better, but doesn't neccessarily make it worse either. There are strengths and limitations to both.

It also depends on how the game is made. Persoanlly, I thought Cv:LoI was more like Devil May Cry and less like Castlevania. I didn't care for it that much. Dawn of Sorrow, a 2D game, ranks among my favourites in the franchise.

Then you look over at the Metroid franchise. Personally, I thought that Metroid Prime both felt much more like my perennial favourite, Metroid 3, and was just a better game in general than the 2D Metroid Fusion, wich was lacking as far as the franchise goes.

I never got a chance to play Prime (I don't own a Gamecube), and I only briefly got to mess with Fusion, so I can't really speak to that. I have, however, played the demo for Metroid Prime: Hunters... it came with my DS, and found the controls to be nearly maddening to get used to. I would have to play Metroid Prime before I could pass an honest judgement, but until then, Super Metroid reigns king of the Metroid franchise for me. It will be folly for me to try and compare Super Metroid to MP: Hunters simply because the way the controls are laid out, for all I know it could be completely different on a gamecube (someone who's played both, is it?)

I will agree that 3D has done wonders for many games, The Zelda franchise (which was as close to 3D as the NES/SNES would allow beforehand) is a good example. I've heard nothing but good about "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask", and although people have issues on a stylistic basis, "Wind Waker" seems to rank high in the gameplay department.

Another franchise that I think suffered from 3D was Super Mario Brothers. It is just my opinion, but Mario 64 has been my least favorite game in the series so far. I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with me, and that's cool. I just always thought Mario was best as a 2D platformer.

gonna go play with the DS now... I have a hard time putting it down ;)

I've played the first two Gamecube games, and a demo of Prime Hunters at my local Walmart.

The controls were very different.

First a bit of a disclaimer, from what I can tell the demo of Prime Hunters I played was either an early control scheme that has since been improved, or some wanker set it to the least intuitive setup they could. When I played, the action was on the lower screen, so your hand was in the way whenever you were using the touchpad to look and shoot. This is apparently not the current setup being employed in the game.

Ok, that aside here's the main difference. Despite both games having a first person view, Prime Hunters is being developed with heavy FPS action in mind, the Gamecube games were most certainly not. In the Gamecube you press and hold a button, and you're automagically locked onto the nearest target. There's very little in the way of FPS skills invovled in these games.

In the DS game, you use the stylus like a mouse, moving it to look around, and tapping the screen to fire, with the D-pad for movement, and the L-button to jump. There's also some controls on the touch screen, such as the morph ball.

The thing about the switch from 2D to 3D with the Zelda games is that it's almost entirely an asthetic difference, with little change in the gameplay. This can be disconcerting at first, when you pick up Ocarina of Time and wonder why you can't jump, but then you realize the controls are pretty much the same as the 2D games, it's just that now you see more than just a top down view. In my opinion, this is the biggest reasons the Zelda games have lent themselves so well to the change.

Of course, I do disagree with you on Mario 64. Just behind SMB3 it's my second favourite game in the franchise, with SMW trailing in third. Mario Sunshine is probably my least favourite in the franchise, with SMB2 ranking somewhat higher. I know a lot of people like that one these days, but I just never took much of a liking to it.

I'm looking forward to both the 2D gameplay of New Super Mario Bros., and a new 3D Mario platformer so long as this time Miyamoto isn't working on half a dozen other projects at the same time.

I like new and interesting ways to interact with my games. The games industry has become way too lazy, much like the film industry. Idiotic children growing up don't understand the potential of the medium.

The DS and Revolution introduce new ways to manipulate the gaming environment. Ways that will spark the imagination of any developer worth their salt.

I just got a DS. Its bad ass!