The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

argh!! everything looks nice... except i wish they could have done 1 thing.... MAKE IT GAMECUBE COMPATIBLE!!! how hard would it have been to add the link up cable slot from the original GBA's????

Depending on how exactly the hardware is designed, it could be VERY difficult to get the GBA link connection out.

I've heard the logic is present on teh GBA hardware, so it might be possible to bring it out with a soldering iron. I wouldn't bet, though.

Wow, I always felt that the DS would be perfect for a web browser. I'm kinda surprised it took this long. And it's Opera, which is a pretty good browser. I wouldn't mind throwing money at them to be able to surf the net on the go.

Now if only they'd get telnet and IRC on there...

Wow, I always felt that the DS would be perfect for a web browser. I'm kinda surprised it took this long. And it's Opera, which is a pretty good browser. I wouldn't mind throwing money at them to be able to surf the net on the go.

Nintendo's said in some interviews recently that the only reason they hadn't ALREADY done a DS browser is that they thought a 3rd party was going to do it.

While it was rather stupid to just sit back and WAIT, you have to admit that it was pretty obvious, and 3rd parties HAVE historically done that sorta thing. Anyone remember the GBC PDA cart? GBA MP3 cart? GBA digital camera?

No one's seem the video demo of the browser? The bottom screen shows the webpage as a whole, and you use the touchscreen to move a box around that lower screen----the upper screen then shows the boxed area zoomed in. Basically, the upper screen is like a magnifying glass for the lower screen, and the stylus moves the magnifying glass around. VERY neat.

Now that's a more reliable and beautifull hinge design (pic above).

The first version has ugly hinges and doesn't look solid when folded. Made me think of an ugly old cellphone.

I like the new one. Good work Nintendo!!

Edited by Kin

No one's seem the video demo of the browser?  The bottom screen shows the webpage as a whole, and you use the touchscreen to move a box around that lower screen----the upper screen then shows the boxed area zoomed in.  Basically, the upper screen is like a magnifying glass for the lower screen, and the stylus moves the magnifying glass around.  VERY neat.

370979[/snapback]

Damn, that sounds like it might work.

Now I just need to decide if the DS Lite is worth getting for the decent D-pad, given how horrible the D-pad is on the original DS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not a game topic but still Nintendo.  Did you that there was a SMB anime movie ?! and guess who plays Mario ?

382295[/snapback]

It's our good buddy Amuro Ray/Kasunga Kyosuke

382463[/snapback]

Bah. I was much more surprised to find that it was everyone's favourite gruff-voiced, Osaka dialect-spouting Wada Akiko who plays Koopa!!

post-1318-1142949517.jpg

Might not be a bad idea there David. I know there are a lot of games I want to play on my DS when I get one. Animal Crossing, Mario Cart, Mario 64, Age of Empires, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, possibly Nintendogs. Plus some games that aren't out yet, like Children of Mana (already out in Japan) and New Super Mario. Maybe I should start buying games now.

I bought Suikoden 1 before I had a PSX, figuring it could be hard to find once I got one. And I got the last copy of FF Tactics in the state I think, the day I got my PSX. Buy now, or pay twice as much later. If there's anything you want to play on a DS that is even slightly "uncommon" at stores, get it now.

I heard Capcom shipped a second wave of Phoenix Wright cartridges not too long ago, because the original wave sold out completely.

PW is definitely one of my DS favourites, I highly reccomend anyone even planning to pick up a DS grab that one before it dissapears for good.

Did anyone pick up Metroid Prime Hunters?

I picked up mine last night and tried out some multiplayer. It was late at night so I set my wireless play to search anyone in the world and when I finally got into a match, I was quite surprised that there wasn't any noticeable lag. Very fun and fast gameplay. Its nice to be able to deathmatch from my bed while my gf is asleep, haha. I haven't tried mario kart online but I';m pretty impressed with this online experience.

The only bad thing is that my hands still hurt after playing for 5 min. I wish the touch screen was closer to my right hand...maybe even taking the place of the buttons for this type of game.

Well, if anyone picks it up, we can post out friend codes up here so we can add each other to our lists and have a friendly MW match sometime.