The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

Contra+Grappling Hook=Bionic Commando 2!

I doubt it will be that awesome, but I'd certainly be the first to line up for something like that. Bionic Commando is still one of my alltime favourite NES games. I break out the GBA combo whenever I can. I've barely touched Strider and Final Fight.

Konami needs to put Snatcher & Policenauts on the DS....what the hellare they thinking!

Soon we won't have to worry about Konami releasing Policenauts in English :D

David Hingtgen, if you're serious about buying an blue import DS Lites I'll check my store and see if we have any more in stock. I don't believe imports are sealed so I can check for dead pixels right away. I know we used to sell the baby blue DS Lites, but I doubt we had Navy blue. They were also around $149 - $159 each.

A friend told me last month that there are rumors Konami is planning to make Snatcher SE for PS3.

With the big Metal Gear grand finale coming up, there'd never be a better time.

• 1 month later...

*sets down old thread diggin' shovel*

I finally picked up a DS after wanting one for so long. Am currently burning through New Super Mario Bros. which I like quite a bit, even though it seems a little too easy. After that I'm going to spend some time with Minish Cap, which I actually bought the GameBoy player for so I can play it on the Cube.

Are there any new games (i.e. what hasn't been listed in the thread already) that are must-plays? I haven't heard much about Super Princess Peach, has anyone played that?

I'm anticipating Zelda although I have no idea what to expect with it being entirely stylus-controlled.

I picked up a nifty M3 lite for my DS lite. Now, before you condem my purchase, I got it because it could play movie files. I spend 2 hours commuting by bus each day, and I need something to keep me occupied. Here's my problem. It came with the video converter, but when I converted a few episodes of Mythbusters to test, it only converted the first few minutes of it. Is it a limitation of the video format for the DS or is it something that I'm doing wrong?

Are there any new games (i.e. what hasn't been listed in the thread already) that are must-plays? I haven't heard much about Super Princess Peach, has anyone played that?

I forget if Phoenix Wright 3 has been mentioned, it's coming in September and I cane hardly wait. Square was showing off an action RPG that was once titled 'This Wonderful World', but will be renamed due to copyright/trademark reasons. I've not been too impressed by Square-Enix in a long time, but this looks good.

When I first heard about this, my first thought was "I bet it's something REALLY common, that only an utter moron would fail to recognize"--and I was right. Latest version of the story:

""Gameboy Sparks Main Terminal Evacuation, Long Beach CA Airport

The main terminal at the Long Beach, CA Airport has been evacuated and at least 100 people were forced to wait outside until officials determined if the threat was legitimate.

All outbound flights have been put on hold due to the threat, which was a suspicious package, revealed to be a gameboy. Apparently someone with a suitcase was going through security at 9:30 AM when officials realized there was something of concern inside the suitcase, but have now discovered it was only a video game.

Agency spokeswoman Jennifer Peppin said: "It certainly was nothing but it certainly looked like something. It had all the wires and components that you would see in an explosive device."

Sure am glad the TSA is looking out for us, if they can't tell a Gameboy from a bomb. I sure hope no one sends a PSP through, they'd really freak out over some that high-tech and "unusual"--since apparently even a GB isn't common enough to be identified by your average security guard.

When I first heard about this, my first thought was "I bet it's something REALLY common, that only an utter moron would fail to recognize"--and I was right. Latest version of the story:

""Gameboy Sparks Main Terminal Evacuation, Long Beach CA Airport

The main terminal at the Long Beach, CA Airport has been evacuated and at least 100 people were forced to wait outside until officials determined if the threat was legitimate.

All outbound flights have been put on hold due to the threat, which was a suspicious package, revealed to be a gameboy. Apparently someone with a suitcase was going through security at 9:30 AM when officials realized there was something of concern inside the suitcase, but have now discovered it was only a video game.

Agency spokeswoman Jennifer Peppin said: "It certainly was nothing but it certainly looked like something. It had all the wires and components that you would see in an explosive device."

Sure am glad the TSA is looking out for us, if they can't tell a Gameboy from a bomb. I sure hope no one sends a PSP through, they'd really freak out over some that high-tech and "unusual"--since apparently even a GB isn't common enough to be identified by your average security guard.

Man this just proves how this country is too damn secure, and stupid... <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else pick up Rune Factory? Fantastic game. Takes Harvest Moon and adds a fantasy RPG to it. Gorgeous, too. Makes me wonder if Square might not have been better off using pre-rendered backgrounds for thier DS Final Fantasy games.

• 1 month later...

Wait-- "With FFIV getting the full voice treatment, we can only assume the upcoming remakes of FFV and FFVI will follow"

When were FF5 and 6 announced? I passed on the GBA versions of most, though did get 6 advance. Ah well, full 3D is well worth the purchase again.

Wait-- "With FFIV getting the full voice treatment, we can only assume the upcoming remakes of FFV and FFVI will follow"

When were FF5 and 6 announced? I passed on the GBA versions of most, though did get 6 advance. Ah well, full 3D is well worth the purchase again.

Thats what I'm guessing, and then FFVII will receive the treatment. If it does go this way it'd be oblivious now.

Thats what I'm guessing, and then FFVII will receive the treatment. If it does go this way it'd be oblivious now.

I`m thinking about FF-VII since some time now, if this really happens for a NDS release ... this will give a total KO for Sony. Only time will tell.

I`ve started to have weak spot for FF-VII all over again, especially listening to Aerith`s Theme and the world map theme.

Edited by Black Valkyrie

• 1 month later...

Hmmmn. I've still been holding out for an acceptable color. (I have a PILE of unplayed DS games now). Don't really want to wait 6 more months or however long it takes until the new one comes to the US. (And still really want Navy above all---maybe the new one will finally bring Navy over here)

90% of my GBA playing is with my GC's GBA player. I like having a real controller and a big, bright screen. Honestly, the best thing in the world would be a DS Lite player for the GC. Just eliminate the touch-screen parts. (Most of the games I like don't use it at all past the first screen, or only implement it as a small gimmick at the insistance of Nintendo).

PS---tried the Zelda demo at Target. Didn't like it at all. Moving Link with the stylus just doesn't work, because you can't see. Link is always near the top of the screen, so to move him up/left/right, you have to have the stylus (and your hand and fingers) near the very top of the screen---which means the entire rest of your hand is covering the entire screen. The only time you can see, is when you're commanding Link to head due south---then your hand is mostly below the screen, and you can see. I tried for several minutes, but got frustrated as I just could never see more tan 40% of the screen, and Link had almost no ability to get around corners etc. If you "take the turn" too early by 1 pixel to get in a door, you have to draw a fairly complex path to get him to back up and out and over and try again---his turn radius sensitivity sucks for when he's stuck/in a corner. Maybe if I had a foot-long stylus, then I could keep my hand hovering around the perimeter. DS is for quckly tapping areas IMHO, not "continuous drawing". Constant drawing on the screen obscures your vision, whereas a quick tap doesn't matter much.

Note that I am a HUGE "Gameboy Zelda" fan and consider Zelda 4 to be among the very best of all Zelda games. But this just annoyed me.

90% of my GBA playing is with my GC's GBA player. I like having a real controller and a big, bright screen. Honestly, the best thing in the world would be a DS Lite player for the GC. Just eliminate the touch-screen parts. (Most of the games I like don't use it at all past the first screen, or only implement it as a small gimmick at the insistance of Nintendo).

PS---tried the Zelda demo at Target. Didn't like it at all. Moving Link with the stylus just doesn't work, because you can't see. Link is always near the top of the screen, so to move him up/left/right, you have to have the stylus (and your hand and fingers) near the very top of the screen---which means the entire rest of your hand is covering the entire screen. The only time you can see, is when you're commanding Link to head due south---then your hand is mostly below the screen, and you can see. I tried for several minutes, but got frustrated as I just could never see more tan 40% of the screen, and Link had almost no ability to get around corners etc. If you "take the turn" too early by 1 pixel to get in a door, you have to draw a fairly complex path to get him to back up and out and over and try again---his turn radius sensitivity sucks for when he's stuck/in a corner. Maybe if I had a foot-long stylus, then I could keep my hand hovering around the perimeter. DS is for quckly tapping areas IMHO, not "continuous drawing". Constant drawing on the screen obscures your vision, whereas a quick tap doesn't matter much.

Note that I am a HUGE "Gameboy Zelda" fan and consider Zelda 4 to be among the very best of all Zelda games. But this just annoyed me.

Heh, I use the GameBoy player mostly as well, that thing is a lifesaver (or an eyesaver). A DS player for the GC would be great, even if it's something that's not likely to ever happen since the Cube is so old now. Maybe a DS player for the Wii? Eh, I don't know. I agree about the Zelda DS game and actually most games that rely heavily on the stylus. I think the touchscreen is interesting and all, but most of the time it's a bother and there is too much focus on touchscreen activity rather than actual gameplay. It's great for stuff like Brian Age but for other games, not so much. Zelda DS is a real heartbreaker for me as it's the first Zelda game EVER that I just don't want to play, and Zelda is my favorite game series. I almost feel like the Zelda line as I knew it is dead now since any future Wii Zelda will rely heavily on Wiimote movements and DS versions will be like Phantom Hourglass. Call me old fashioned but I don't need a new way to control a game to enjoy a truly good game.

Edited by eriku

Eh... I'm still playing Castlevania games on my 1st release see-thru purple (the color all Nintendo devices should be) Game-Boy Advance... I've got two of the same GBA just in case one dies... haven't really seen much of anything that would get me to buy a DS (aside from the two Castlevania games there) because most all my handheld time goes to my PSP... I just find the stylus stupid and gimicky... I cannot imagine guiding Link with it. Ick.

Honestly? Wow, you're cutting yourself off from the bulk of great portable games that are coming out these days. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to even consider any future portables that don't include a touchscreen, many of my favourite DS games use it to great effect.

Hmm, as for Phantom Hourglass, I did not experience any of the issues David describes. Link moved intuitively, never got stuck on any doors, and the only control issue I faced was doing his little roll move (which I don't believe I've encountered a place in the game where it's necessary) can be more difficult than necessary to pull off. Part of the problem may be that you don't draw paths for Link aside from a little dungeon puzzle where you draw a path for a floating platform across a chasm with a few very forgiving obstacles, so if you're treating the game as if you're drawing a path for Link, I can certainly see that causing issues as Link will turn the moment you "draw" a turn in his "path", since he's not following a path, just the stylus movements you make right then and there. It's more like using the stylus as an analogue stick, except that it's pulled off much better than the clumsy attempt to port Mario 64 to the DS way, way back.

If there's a reason not to like Phantom Hourglass, the touch controls can hardly be justified after spending a bit of time with the game. Personally, the worst part of the game is that one dungeon you constantly have to go back to. That's the one thing in the game I could do without.

your vision, whereas a quick tap doesn't matter much.

You mean the Minish Cap yes its ture plus its has the most awesome BGM for a GBA title, almost you can say CD QC.

I still play my GBA more than any other system, games like SMB, Cv-NES, Gradius Generation.

Ok, poor wording. I understood after about 5 secs that Link headed directly towards the current location of the stylus, not the "path" the stylus took. But I still ended up having to "draw" the path, as he literally ran straight to the stylus--regardless of cliffs and walls in his way. So you have to constantly reposition the stylus to get him to follow a path around obstacles and not just run into everything--effectively constantly drawing a path parallel to his actual route. And I still couldn't see. I don't have big hands, I pretty much blame the odd positioning. Link's at the top of the screen, not centered. And that introduced a lot of issues, to me at least.

I think I'll just replay Oracle of Ages and Seasons, I only ever did those once. (Minish Cap may be prettier, but not as good IMHO---doubt I'll ever replay it)