The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

i don't know.. i'm still waiting to see if the DS is the next Virtual Boy. i lost most my faith for nintendo after the 64. its like they don't have enough focus groups or something when they make new systems. like they never got a guys opinion about how gay a console would be if they added a handle and made it like a purse?

SHAME ON YOU! I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE BASH NINTENDO! :angry:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

...and stylus based games..? i don't know.. would rather just mash a d-pad and A & B.

20 years of video games and the best they can do is give you a toothpick and a touch screen to play with?

PSP will be something to check out tho. but its pretty big and it seems to have a pretty short battery life. it'll be cool to watch movies and stuff on it tho.

Two screens. Yep, I can see how that's so freakish as to elicit comparisons to the Virtual Boy. Allowing for a touch screen and stylus as an OPTIONAL method of control, so that developers might be able to come up with some exciting and original new games... yeah, that really burns me.

In all seriousness, you do know that the DS has four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and a standard D-pad, right? And that games like Metroid Prime: Hunters have to option to play with our without the stylus?

Now, when I think about how the DS allows for wireless multiplayer with just one copy of the game, plays all of my old GBA games, has interesting games like New Super Mario Bros and Feel the Magic at around the same price as current GBA software instead of just ports of the home console's games, and will only cost a $50 more than what a GBA SP cost until recently and probably half of what the PSP will go for, I think the DS is looking very interesting. Meanwhile, you can read my earlier post for why I think PSP might as well stand for Piece of poo Portable.

i don't know.. i'm still waiting to see if the DS is the next Virtual Boy. i lost most my faith for nintendo after the 64. its like they don't have enough focus groups or something when they make new systems. like they never got a guys opinion about how gay a console would be if they added a handle and made it like a purse?

Sometimes you gotta call it like it is. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the N64 being cart based... a $50 game for PlayStation would go for $70 on the N64. Plus, perhaps living in the glory days when developers knew the money was with Nintendo's system, high licesnsing fees means it's harder to make money making Gamecube games that it is to make PS2 or Xbox games. Nintendo fans are loyal to Nintendo for one big reason... Nintendo caters to them with the Zeldas, Marios, Pikmins, etc. But unfortanately, Nintendo fans aren't were the money is for 3rd party developers, so for the majority, the Gamecube isn't where the games are. Well, it's cheap enough to have as a second system if you already have a PS2 or Xbox, though. Props for that.

For all of the (mostly marketing, some technical) flaws of the Gamecube and the N64, though, Nintendo owns the handheld market. I love the GBA SP, and I think the DS looks extremely promising. Just because Sony managed to become top dog in the console market after the PlayStation, they gotta realize that it's going to take a lot more than expensive all-in-wonder portables with poor battery life and little original content to unseat Nintendo in the handheld market.

i'm a fan of fun games, i don't care about hardware. if the games are fun thats where i'll go.

if the game is fun i'll folow it through bad graphics, crummy acting, bad animation, weird storys and whatever. polygon count and effects are so so SO over rated its embarrising.

that said. since i don't plan on buying movies for a tiny creditcard sized screen, and i don't have hundreds and hundreds of dollars to spend. the DS is looking pretty snazzy.

its a good design that manages to offer alot of inovation with its stylus controller yet they're smart to make it not manditory for games to be played on the system.

its a part of the system that can easily be ignored.

a big screen and analog stick are not gonna make it easy to forget that the psp is dieing ever 45 minutes i am using it.

Sometimes you gotta call it like it is. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the N64 being cart based... a $50 game for PlayStation would go for $70 on the N64. Plus, perhaps living in the glory days when developers knew the money was with Nintendo's system, high licesnsing fees means it's harder to make money making Gamecube games that it is to make PS2 or Xbox games. Nintendo fans are loyal to Nintendo for one big reason... Nintendo caters to them with the Zeldas, Marios, Pikmins, etc.

That's not even entirely true as Nintendo doesn't even release a good majority of it "best" titles to the states. Look how many years it took for Fire Emblem as just one example to make it over. "Console Loyalty" is a very retarded concept in itself an only retards with no understanding about economics or marketing are "console loyalist".

However, Panzer's comment about a the GC having a "gay" design is rather ignorant and entirely stupid on many levels (especially if he can actually compare it to a purse).

Sometimes you gotta call it like it is. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the N64 being cart based... a $50 game for PlayStation would go for $70 on the N64. Plus, perhaps living in the glory days when developers knew the money was with Nintendo's system, high licesnsing fees means it's harder to make money making Gamecube games that it is to make PS2 or Xbox games. Nintendo fans are loyal to Nintendo for one big reason... Nintendo caters to them with the Zeldas, Marios, Pikmins, etc.

That's not even entirely true as Nintendo doesn't even release a good majority of it "best" titles to the states. Look how many years it took for Fire Emblem as just one example to make it over. "Console Loyalty" is a very retarded concept in itself an only retards with no understanding about economics or marketing are "console loyalist".

However, Panzer's comment about a the GC having a "gay" design is rather ignorant and entirely stupid on many levels (especially if he can actually compare it to a purse).

What I've said about Nintendo loyalists, the problems with using carts and propietary media, the problem with Nintendo's kid-centric image, and the problem with liscensing is all absolutely true, hence the lack of content on the Gamecube. One of the reasons Nintendo hired Reggie was to smooth over relations with 3rd party developers and to give Nintendo a more aggressive image. If many of Nintendo's "best" games, as you put it, are not making it stateside, then it's just another example of how Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot, because the videogame market in Japan is on the decline, and most of the money to be made in the industry is in the US, which is why games like Shadow of Rome and Metal Gear Solid are developed with the American audience in mind.

Edited by mikeszekely

Still the PSP graphic is awesome:

http://www.playstation.jp/tgs2004/tv.html

The Armored Core game in title line-up 4 video impress me the most.

I think there is enough market for two handhelds, they each have unique strengths and weakness.

Sure, the PSP's graphics are great. It doesn't change the fact that they're mostly PS2 games, and I'm not buying the same game twice. It doesn't change the fact that the PSP is going to be over-priced due to the fact that Sony wants to cram in features we don't want/don't need and don't really care to pay more for. It doesn't change the fact that to use those features, you need to buy more stuff, like Memory Sticks or UMD copies of movies you already bought once on DVD. And it sure as heck doesn't make up for the PSP's ridiculously short battery life.

We'll see about the assumed short battery life of the PSP. I doubt Sony would release it that way. Who'd want to buy it (besides the Sony fanboys)? I'll wait for an official word (instead of reading internet or hearing videogame store employee rumors <_< ) before I start praising/bashing the PSP.

The Nintendo DS will probably do well though. I just have no real interest in it.

its all good, i just got a little more hair on my chest than you and on sunday's you can find me on the couch with a beer and my hand watching football :lol:

i had a gamecube, played Zelda, beat Luigi's Mansion even had F-Zero, eternal crapness, pikmin and mario sunshine. but the only game that ever held my interest was Mario Golf tho so i sold it for an xbox. that was almost 2 years ago and have never been tempted to go back. theres not one game out i would buy another Cube for. nintendo is limping in my opinion when it comes to consoles.

in hand helds i think they'll be fine tho. thats were they started their business and thats what they shouild stick to. i have an SP and play it more than my xbox sometimes. the DS just seems a little too gimicky to me and the PSP just looks damn cool, and i'm sure the games will be great. but no one will know anything until they actually release these things.

its all good, i just got a little more hair on my chest than you and on sunday's you can find me on the couch with a beer and my hand watching football :lol:

Well you should have more hair on your chest since Jemstone is a woman afterall...

That's not even entirely true as Nintendo doesn't even release a good majority of it "best" titles to the states.  Look how many years it took for Fire Emblem as just one example to make it over. "Console Loyalty" is a very retarded concept in itself an only retards with no understanding about economics or marketing are "console loyalist".

What I've said about Nintendo loyalists, the problems with using carts and propietary media, the problem with Nintendo's kid-centric image, and the problem with liscensing is all absolutely true, hence the lack of content on the Gamecube.

No, poo. I'm not disagreeing with you but backing you up so ease off, bub. <_< I'm just saying that Nintendo is worse off than you think cuz of the fact they keep much of their best stuff overseas. The stuff on Reg is old news.

I myself will most likely not buy a DS... just because portable games don't do it for me any more. I have nothing against the DS and it looks like it will be a nice system but ever since I bought my new TV I just want everything to hook up to it and play back in 480p widescreen... bigger than life... which very few games actually do.

On another note (not meaning to derail this thread but it would be stupid to start a new one just for this question and it seems all the video game saavy people are paying attention to this thread anyway)... when is the new smaller PS2 coming out? All the "official" sources say November 1st but a few retail sites that list the system on their site are listing it as tomorrow or some time this week. I've also noticed that just about all the online mass retailers (Best Buy, Target, TRU, etc.) are sold out of the old systems. It would be rather stupid of Sony to let the stores sit without systems for three whole weeks until November 1st IMHO.

OK, back to the DS talk.

:blink:

um..

what?

What, no snappy comeback? That's one more to the idiot list.

Wolf, don't worry you already made the cut.

ok ok your actually a girl. i had no clue what the hell that guy was talking about, i thought he just didn't speak english well.

but i'm a MAN! so i win this discussion either way :D

now go knit or bleed or something, you should know better than calling a guy an idiot :p

um..

what?

ok ok your actually a girl. i had no clue what the hell that guy was talking about, i thought he just didn't speak english well.

now go knit or bleed or something, you should know better than calling a guy an idiot :p

I speak English just fine ya f'n newb. I was just screwing around in that other thread lol ;)

BTW that linked auction in your sig.... holy crap thats alot of videogame stuff

Yeah, man. Think of the shipping cost alone! :blink:

Yeah, I just saw that. Actually I live 3 hr away from there, but event then I think I'd need a U-Haul to get all that mess (including 12 grand apparently) :(

But what's this thing against console loyalty? I understand to some extent what you're saying, but it does account for something I believe. I've had about 6 Nintendo systems(not including every manifestation of Gameboy), and man have those things been durable(except the infamous NES starting rituals ;) ). Everything from high-altitude falls to anti-brother-warheads to standing water hasn't phased my Nintendoes. I think the only cou-de-ta has been setting a GB game on top of a toaster oven and melting it alitlle. That's why I think the DS will be able to take some punishment.

But I guess you're talking about the games more. I've never really had to worry about picking up a Nintendo game and not having fun with it. Most people are casual gamers if anything, right? Seeing as I have no real time for games now, GC has done me quite well with what it's offering, but of course I had to get the PS2 for Macross if nothing else. B))

btw, Panzer, YOU WEN AT TEH INTERW3B!!! :blink::p

um..

what?

I speak English just fine ya f'n newb. I was just screwing around in that other thread lol ;)

:lol: newb.. yeah. hah..

c'mon guys knock it off.

getting back on track, i think there is something fishy going on with those pics of the DS above.

in the "open" pic, notice the three little groves near the bottome of the console. one is the power light.

now find them on the "closed version". in the closed version there is a whole bunch of junk under the groves. none of that part of the console is there in the top pic.

odd that they would photoshop out the botom part of the system for the promo pic. :ph34r: crazy? freaky? watch out.

post-26-1097564525_thumb.jpg

Edited by KingNor

um..

what?

WHO THE FLUCK ARE YOU CALLING A GIRL? Are you actually asking to get bitch slapped to Neptune and back? What are you like 12 or just more stupid than I thought? I mean what kind of guy picks JEMSTONE for a screen name. The answer was pretty obvious (to those that think anyways). I swear these damn kids these days. No respect or brains to match!

Wes, console loyalty makes no sense these days and it's the reasons why companies like Nintendo have not really moved forward. Sure the games are all about fun and the gameplay but every so often it would be nice if Nintendo tried to breathe some fresh and new stuff into it's roster. It never will so long as people are satisfied with the Zeldas, Marios and Kirby. I remember when I was a "Nintendork" :p and was shocked to see a Mega man game on a Sega system. Time has passed and I've matured and changed. Anyone from the old NES and even Atari days has but Nintendo as a company hasn't. It's not that Nintendo is even kiddie. It's just it keeps rehashing the same formula. I want to move on to new things. Take the Legend of Zelda series as an example. That series technology wise has seen all sorts of changes and has advanced but the story remains the same. The Wind Waker was a nice break from the "traditional" Zelda story (as was Mas, and Link's Awakening) but even it was still very much tied to the basic "Ganon's trying to take over Hyrule again storyline.

I can replay the same story only so much..... However, Nintendo ahs been liek this with all of it's titles. It's not just old. It's ancient history. By keeping an open mind to other consoles I'm free to try other things Nintendo won't do for whatever reason. Well, except X-Box but then even I've made exceptions for that too.

Edited by Jemstone

On another note (not meaning to derail this thread but it would be stupid to start a new one just for this question and it seems all the video game saavy people are paying attention to this thread anyway)... when is the new smaller PS2 coming out? All the "official" sources say November 1st but a few retail sites that list the system on their site are listing it as tomorrow or some time this week. I've also noticed that just about all the online mass retailers (Best Buy, Target, TRU, etc.) are sold out of the old systems. It would be rather stupid of Sony to let the stores sit without systems for three whole weeks until November 1st IMHO.

OK, back to the DS talk.

That's a good question. The launch day has been bounced back and forth because both Sony and Nintendo want to get the drop on each other with the PSP and the DS. I remember when they were both supposed to be out at the end of Sept. So your best bet is to just keep checking in with stores.

BTW that linked auction in your sig.... holy crap thats alot of videogame stuff

Yeah, man. Think of the shipping cost alone! :blink:

Yeah, I just saw that. Actually I live 3 hr away from there, but event then I think I'd need a U-Haul to get all that mess (including 12 grand apparently) :(

But what's this thing against console loyalty? I understand to some extent what you're saying, but it does account for something I believe. I've had about 6 Nintendo systems(not including every manifestation of Gameboy), and man have those things been durable(except the infamous NES starting rituals ;) ). Everything from high-altitude falls to anti-brother-warheads to standing water hasn't phased my Nintendoes. I think the only cou-de-ta has been setting a GB game on top of a toaster oven and melting it alitlle. That's why I think the DS will be able to take some punishment.

But I guess you're talking about the games more. I've never really had to worry about picking up a Nintendo game and not having fun with it. Most people are casual gamers if anything, right? Seeing as I have no real time for games now, GC has done me quite well with what it's offering, but of course I had to get the PS2 for Macross if nothing else. B))

btw, Panzer, YOU WEN AT TEH INTERW3B!!! :blink::p

Yeah, but can a Nintendo system take a bullet like the Xbox can?

Man, I wish I could still find a link to that story.

OK, back to the DS talk.

That's a good question. The launch day has been bounced back and forth because both Sony and Nintendo want to get the drop on each other with the PSP and the DS. I remember when they were both supposed to be out at the end of Sept. So your best bet is to just keep checking in with stores.

I did some checking just now and some websites are listing the new system IN STOCK as of now... if that is true or not and in what quantities is TBD.

If it is true then this might just be a quiet "soft release" to fill the missing system gap.

why can't jemstone and dejr8bud make any sense in their posts? i can't figure out if jem is saying shes a girl or not... :rolleyes:

besides what the fart is wrong with console loyalty? i have an xbox, i know its the poo and thats the one i buy games for, post about and defend. i don't like the gaycube lol and ps2. i've had both and now i just have an xbox, it rules.

why can't jemstone and dejr8bud make any sense in their posts? i can't figure out if jem is saying shes a girl or not... :rolleyes:

besides what the fart is wrong with console loyalty? i have an xbox, i know its the poo and thats the one i buy games for, post about and defend. i don't like the gaycube lol and ps2. i've had both and now i just have an xbox, it rules.

Jemstone is female

Jemstone is vrouwelijk

Jemstone est femelle

Jemstone ist weiblich

Το Jemstone είναι θηλυκό

Jemstone è femminile

Jemstone は女性である

Jemstone은 여성 이다

Jemstone é fêmea

Jemstone женско

Jemstone es femenino

...and I honestly can't make it any clearer than that. :blink:

On consoles, I say hey, it's your money, whatever makes you happy. You're not exactly picking a government offical or anything. <_<