The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

As tempting as it is to add the DS to my Christmas list, I'm going to have to wait for at least one game I'm really interested in. Playing Mario 64 all over again just isn't justifiying (sp?) a purchase right now. Maybe when Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, or Final Fantasy comes out....

To you console FPS gamers who hate using a PC mouse, next time you are playing a PC FPS, try adjusting the mouse speed, that why you eliminate the dreaded "lift and drop" maneuver :)

Thr DS impressed me, or rather Nintendo impressed me in that they actually thought about the rare and elusive Left-Handed Gamers :)

Almost everyone else in this cruel world caters exclusivly to those pampered Right-Handed Gamers...

Ever since Jr. High school, i was forced to comform to a Right-Handed world. The desks were for the Right-Handers, the scissors were made for Right-Handers, Everything was made to pander to the dreaded Right-Handed... And now... now I will have my sweet revenge with this wonderful little game system... I will wreak havoc upon the Right-Handers world with my Left-Handed control scheme for Metroid...

[evil laugh]MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/evil laugh]

I'm too lazy to scan 8 pages, but does the DS play regular Gameboy games?   :p

NO! I should just delete your post for being lazy. Lazy ass.

Im curious what happens if you report a mod for spamming :p

Also yes it can play "Most" (legal talk) Gba games.

I picked it up today...it seems kinda cool, although the demo game that came with it is a little bit weird, but i kinda like the control scheme. You can really work it well with the littel nub to be used as an analog controller...it is pretty neat. I wonder how it works out with other games coming down the pipe.

I think it is worth the 150 price tag, the cartridges are really tiny, hope dont lose them! LOL

Twich

To you console FPS gamers who hate using a PC mouse, next time you are playing a PC FPS, try adjusting the mouse speed, that why you eliminate the dreaded "lift and drop" maneuver :)

A. I play plenty of PC FPSes. In fact, I can't think of a single console FPS I own(Metroid Prime being filed as action-adventure, not shooter).

B. It WON'T get rid of the lift/drop. Just reduce it.

C. I use a trackball. That DOES get rid of it, as well as offering me more precision than I get out of a mouse.

akt_m: One word: trackball.

Mice work quite nicely for Missile Command and Breakout-type games, where the range of motion is limited anyways. But they suck for unlimited range of motion games like, well, FPSes.

A. I play plenty of PC FPSes. In fact, I can't think of a single console FPS I own(Metroid Prime being filed as action-adventure, not shooter).

C. I use a trackball. That DOES get rid of it, as well as offering me more precision than I get out of a mouse.

Mice work quite nicely for Missile Command and Breakout-type games, where the range of motion is limited anyways. But they suck for unlimited range of motion games like, well, FPSes.

I use a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouseman. I love it.

I picked it up today...it seems kinda cool, although the demo game that came with it is a little bit weird, but i kinda like the control scheme. You can really work it well with the littel nub to be used as an analog controller...it is pretty neat. I wonder how it works out with other games coming down the pipe.

I think it is worth the 150 price tag, the cartridges are really tiny, hope dont lose them! LOL

Twich

One of the biggest improvements that the DS brings isn't even hardware... it's packaging. DS games come in plastic boxes about as high and wide as the size of a CD jewel case, although it's about as thick as a DVD box. The box contains your manual, has a slot to hold the DS game chip, and a bonus spot to hold a GBA game.

I picked up my DS, and I broke and got Super Mario 64 DS. The system is cool, although it has the annoying habit of shutting off whenever you want to quit Pictochat, or even leave the settings options. Also, it would have been nice if you could have changed how it lays out the buttons for the GBA (I would have prefered a Y=B and B=A setup), although I do like that you can pick which screen to display the GBA games on. Both screens are clear and vibrant in ways the GBA SP could never have matched. When you start the DS, you can also set it to either go right into any games you have jacked in, or you can set it to come up to the main menu. On the main menu, you can select to download from another DS, start a DS game that's plugged in, start a GBA game that's plugged in, or start Pictochat. Personally, I like it to start with the main menu, because I have a tendency to leave games in the system. Right now, I have both Megaman Zero and Super Mario 64 DS in the unit. It's kind of a shame, though, that you have to shut off and then reboot the system to switch between the games, though.

Now, the software...

Pictochat is definately a gimmick. There is no way I'd have paid more than $5 for it... and I think Nintendo realized that, and hence they included it built-in to every DS. Now, since it's free, it gets a boost in my book. I mean, especially since no one with a second DS is ever within a hundred feet of me, it's almost useless. But, maybe when they come down in price and more people have them, there will be... and then I can IM them!

Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt... what can I say about it? I like how the stylus works like a mouse... and the graphics aren't too bad, considering everyone's saying that DS games look like N64 graphics. However, they lack the incredible detail of the Gamecube version, which made you feel like you were really exploring an strange alien world. What's left is a rather bland shooter, and I can definately say I'll pass when the full version comes out in March.

Super Mario 64 DS... well, I never liked Super Mario 64 all that much. But I had a Best Buy gift card, and I felt compelled to get some kind of real DS game. It was a toss up between Mario and Sega's Feel the Magic: XY-XX. It was close, but I went with Mario, just because I felt that Mario'd keep me busy longer. In any case, it's basically the Mario 64 you already know... the only real differences are that you have a map on the bottom screen, and you use the stylus to turn the camera. Since you don't have an analog stick, you have to hold down the "Y" button to run (again, Nintendo looses points for not doing the more sensible thing, and having you hold down the button to walk slowly and let you run all the time). Oh, and you actually start the game as Yoshi... but the game still follows the same progression. You still jump into paintings, and the first one is still the one with the Big Bob-Bomb on top of the mountain.

The DS has a promising future (at least as far as I'm concerned). The new 2D Super Mario Bros should be out in March, as well as a new Sonic game, Metroid Prime: Hunters, and a few others, as well as a new Megaman Battle Network game, Final Fantasy III, Pokemon Pearl and Diamond, and a new Castlevania. The DS is definately not a purchase I'll regret.

how much I hate mice for most gaming.

do you hate mice even for fps games??? it is impossible to aim precisely in FPS games without an optical mouse.

I don't like mice for FPS. I've dabbled in PC, but I'm a console gamer through and through, and imprecise as it may be, I'm just not comfortable with anything but an Xbox controller S in my hands for FPS.

have mine on pre-order, but I think I'll turn around and ebay it if there is any demand for it... I'll probably get one to keep when the price comes down.

Frankly, it's a game issue for me, while I like the system, I just don't care for the launch titles.

have mine on pre-order, but I think I'll turn around and ebay it if there is any demand for it... I'll probably get one to keep when the price comes down.

Frankly, it's a game issue for me, while I like the system, I just don't care for the launch titles.

I've heard that one went for $220 on eBay, but I don't know... the demand is there, but I think the supply is too. At my store, we had 15 perorders, but we recieved 24 units, with more to come on Tuesday. Then there was my buddy... I told him I'd seen some at Best Buy, so he went just before they closed... and bought two; one for himself, one for his uncle.

On a side note, I kinda like Mario 64 better now than I did on the N64. I don't know why. But I've been playing it all night, and I already got 12 stars. I don't think I'll try to find them all, though. I'll probably find enough to beat the game, then sell it.

I use a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouseman. I love it.

I have a Logitech "Marble Mouse". Which isn't a mouse at all...

What I WANT is a Kensington Expert Mouse Optical. Heck, any ExpertMouse would do.

But I can't justify paying a hundred bucks for a pointing device.

And of course, once I had that I'd be stting my sights upon the pinnacle of pointing devices, the one, the only, 4" Missile Command trackball.

Which would actually be sub-optimal except for arcade emulation, since you can't mount any buttons reasonably close to the ball, and it really takes a lot of hand motion. But it's a beautiful ball...

Just a question to those in the know... are these things pretty much sold out everywhere right now?

Nope. Target last night had quite a few units to sell when I picked up Super Mario 64 DS. I would have gotten one but I'm waiting for mine in the mail.

Vostok 7

OK, stupid old man question here... having owned Game boys in the past I find I tire of them quickly. Would someone like me like one of these things?

There are elements of it that appeal to me but others that seem childish... it's not like buying one will make or break me and I tend to just sell things I don't like so I'm not worried about being "stuck with one".

I guess what I am saying is that I'm interested in getting one but I have memories of the GBA and SP still in my mind and how I just got over them within weeks of purchase.

OK, stupid old man question here... having owned Game boys in the past I find I tire of them quickly. Would someone like me like one of these things?

There are elements of it that appeal to me but others that seem childish... it's not like buying one will make or break me and I tend to just sell things I don't like so I'm not worried about being "stuck with one".

I guess what I am saying is that I'm interested in getting one but I have memories of the GBA and SP still in my mind and how I just got over them within weeks of purchase.

I had the same problem with my SP, mostly because I felt the games were flat and kinda sucked.

I'm hoping it's not the same for the DS. There's alot more funner games that are coming for the DS than have been available on the GBA so far, and there's alot more flexability.

Really though, if you want a more "adult" portable, just wait for the PSP.

Vostok 7

I had the same problem with my SP, mostly because I felt the games were flat and kinda sucked.

I'm hoping it's not the same for the DS. There's alot more funner games that are coming for the DS than have been available on the GBA so far, and there's alot more flexability.

Really though, if you want a more "adult" portable, just wait for the PSP.

Vostok 7

What makes the PSP more "adult"? The DS is getting Sprung, a game about a guy trying to score with a girl. The PSP seems to have nothing but a bunch of games I already own for PS2.

Well, the DS is bound to have some new and innovative games like Feel the Magic XY-XX, but I don't know how well they'd hold your interest. If you can afford it, and if you're going to sell it if you don't like it anyway, you might as well give it a shot.

What makes the PSP more "adult"? The DS is getting Sprung, a game about a guy trying to score with a girl. The PSP seems to have nothing but a bunch of games I already own for PS2.

Well everyone already knows that Sony has games more oriented towards adults whereas Nintendo tends to cater more twards kid friendly games.

The DS follows this trend, though it is nice to see they are trying to branch out with games like Sprung, but honestly the PSP is still going to follow the Sony trend to have more adult oriented games.

Vostok 7

Out of sheer interest I called around the area before I left work... no one in Saint Louis near me has any left. Target, Beast Buy, even Wally world are all sold out or holding their stock for people. A guy at the local Target even asked me if I wanted my name put on a list to get the next ones coming in.

Meh. I'll pass just because one is not immediately available. I should not be buying more toys anyhow seeing as I have not beaten HL2 or GTA: San Andreas yet.

What makes the PSP more "adult"?  The DS is getting Sprung, a game about a guy trying to score with a girl.  The PSP seems to have nothing but a bunch of games I already own for PS2.

Well everyone already knows that Sony has games more oriented towards adults whereas Nintendo tends to cater more twards kid friendly games.

The DS follows this trend, though it is nice to see they are trying to branch out with games like Sprung, but honestly the PSP is still going to follow the Sony trend to have more adult oriented games.

Vostok 7

Crunch the #s some time.

That's market perception, not reality.

Nintendo has a larger % of T and M games than Sony. And Sony has more E games.

The price of PSP makes it adult... :lol: It is a $250~$300 machine... and you have to buy games @ 59.99 price range...

I am play Mario 64 DS. It is still fun.

Actually, the price I saw for the PSP was $150, just like the DS.

The price of PSP makes it adult...  :lol: It is a $250~$300 machine... and you have to buy games @ 59.99 price range...

I am play Mario 64 DS. It is still fun.

Actually, the price I saw for the PSP was $150, just like the DS.

nope... in Japan, basic PSP package is 19,800 Yen, the complete PSP package is 24,800 Yen and NDS is only 15,000 Yen.

The complete PSP package is about $250US.

A guy in our office had one this morning and he let me take a turn on it. He had no games outside of the Metroid demo but I was very impressed. Seeing 3D on a handheld was (to me) quite a departure from the handhelds I'm used to. Also the whole touchscreen / stylus thing was not as gimmicky as I thought it was. Color me impressed.

Has anyone seen or played the Madden Football game for it? I might try to hunt down one of these DSes just for the football if it plays as hot as it looks... the concept of using the stylus to call plays and watch your plays open up on a second screen really intrigues me.

I had my first encounter with the DS today. Shame, shame, shame on all of you who said it was bulky and large, it's about the same size as a regular GBA! Also, while I still don't like the DS Metroid game, I must say that using the stylus to look around was not nearly as awkward as I'd imagined. This system has definitely jumped up a lot on my Christmas wishlist!