A Star Wars Tv series after Eps. III?

I would love to, ney almost kill to see a series based on the X-Wing series of books those are my favorite SW books of all time.

honestly, this is probably why you should NOT want to see it made then. tv is notorious for butchering the HELL out of books and serise.

VERY unlikely that a tv show will do any source material justice.

if you want a tv show, hope for something tailor made for tv, and that it doesn't suck.

or be like me and sell your tv and be happier than ever.

TV shows don't allow for a budget like movies do.  Also they have no choice but to be 'episodic'

... I'm stating that a Star Wars tv series could concievably have a larger than usual budget for a tv series.

Not true. A budget for a TV show is in direct correlation to how much advertising they can sell. Never more than that, and that isn't much compared to a movie budget. These companies are in business to make money, fans seem to forget this.

:o HEY!!! :o

I worked on Earth Final Conflict! Making Sci Fi is more fun than watching it ;) Plus it paid the bills. There should be more sci-fi be it TV or feature in general - plenty of room to move around (plus it pays for the Macross stuff ;) )

no said you suck, just that the show sucked. ;)

i watched for a sec only to find out its yet another craptastic sci-fi series. i can't even think of the last sci-fi show that i really liked? they all suck.

i'd rather see a SW cartoon than some cheesey SW series with wack as actors and a lameass story line but thats just MO.

Well, it could be bad or it could be really, really bad.

Or it could start out as "not too bad" because they'll spend about 8 billion dollars on the pilot, then it will slide into really bad quickly enough.

No matter how you slice this, it will end badly. But from the sound of George's quote above, he doesn't really care much. After most of the abominations pawned off and sold to SW fans (and this definitely includes any crap by Timothy Zahn), he'll just count the money and ignore it. It's not HIS television show. He only cares about his movies.

I definitely think he's got the right idea. Maybe if the fandom would quit buying some of this crap, they might quit making it.

Hey, how about an "unscripted drama" aka: Reality show about a bunch of rebels in a trash compactor where they have to bob for water monsters or climb a bunch of obstactles? Every episode the imperial council will have to vote out a hapless rebel to be ejected into space! Darth Vader could be the host. :lol:

Man it's all these reality shows that are putting people like me out of business!! :angry: Don't support them ;) Support my addiction to Macross!! :unsure:

Hmm..

Good Ideas:

1. Rogue Squadron series based on comics and/or novels (I would give my left ear to SEE one of Janson and Wedge's practical joke wars. :D Yub yub, Commander.)

2. Miniseries DIRECT adaptations of various books

3. Series about the Jedi Academy, old or new

4. Maybe a collection of stories based in the Old Republic, like the Sith Wars

Bad Ideas:

1. ANYTHING to do with an Ewok family...unnngngg... :ph34r:

2. "It's the Ewoks-Droids Cartoon Hour!"

3. Making any series that involves the original characters without using the original actors, unless they're supposed to be younger versions.

4. eh, there's a lot of bad ideas out there...

Now, coming out of left field....

1. THE DARK APPRENTICE: Trump in Emperor garb sends contestants out to perform dark deeds, murder, pillage, promote Imperial control, etc. Shoots lightning from hand during "You're fired" line, vaporizing losers on the spot. Winner receives job as Emperor's Hand (Gotta replace Mara Jade, you know..)

2. Survivor: Alderaan.... hehe.. yeah, right.

3. Survivor: Tatooine: Mannn.... Roast Dewback AGAIN???

4. Boy Meets Force: Jedi Academy drama/comedy involving young teens growing up while going through jedi training. Heheh.. just imagining Feeny as a Jedi master makes me laugh. A lot. ("Use the Force, Mr. Matthews.") And for once, Topanga wouldn't be any weirder than the other names. Course, letting Eric within ten miles of anything like a lightsaber would probably be a bad idea.

There are so many things they could do.. and soooo many ways they could ruin what was always good about SW. :p

Not true. A budget for a TV show is in direct correlation to how much advertising they can sell. Never more than that, and that isn't much compared to a movie budget. These companies are in business to make money, fans seem to forget this.

That makes perfect sense for broadcast TV. Is it true for cable as well? Do the subscription fees offset the money from advertisers?

This thread made me think of a post I saw from JMS a few days ago. The part I'm thinking of stated this:

Subject: from jms 8/23/04

To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Date: 8/23/2004 7:06:26 PM

<SNIP>

On the TV front, I have final confirmation that the last batch of Jeremiah

episodes will be airing on the regular Showtime channels starting September

3rd. The episodes are:

Sept 3: Crossing Jordan and Running On Empty

Sept 10:: The Question and The Past Is Prologue

Sept 17: The Face In The Mirror and State Of The Union

Sept 24: Interregnum (Parts 1 and 2)

All of them are really strong episodes, and I'm glad to see them finally being

aired.

Pending contractual negotiations and formal pickup by the networks involved,

I've been offered two different series, so we'll see which goes first. They

could both be very cool to work on, but one of them could be insanely

successful. I should know more about this situation in late October. (Neither

is Trek-related, just to nip any potential rumors in the bud.)

<SNIP>

Makes one think... doesn't it. Any B5 fans here know if the question has been asked yet? Even if it were true I'm sure JMS couldn't confirm thought he might be able to confirm the guess was wrong.

Enjoy,

Carl

*crosses fingers* Rogue Squadron TV show, oh please a Rogue Squadron TV show is all I ask.

Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

yeah, bring Dennis Lawson over and have him do some more Wedge Antilles.

I'd love to see Lawson step back into Wedge's flightsuit, but probably only as a voice actor in an animated series. It's been 25 years since the movies, and everybody's getting a little long in the tooth. Have you seen Mark Hamill recently? his face looks a lot worse than anything that semi-apochryphal car crash could have done.

Otherwise, I'd love to see an animated miniseries on either Rogue Squadron, or the Heir to the Empire. No bloody "pre-prequel," no bloody "Yuuzhan Vong," just good old Rebs vs. Empire action.

Has it been stated that this will be live action TV? Everyone is assuming it will be, but perhaps it will be animation/Anime. Didn't Lucas just start up or is starting up an animation studio in Hong Kong? If so, it really leaves the door open to pick up where Jedi left off and possibly have the original cast or at least most of them to just do the voices. That way the characters won't look too old. Just a thought.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sick of Rebel vs Empire. Jedi are where SW is at. Go to Tales of the Jedi or Kngihts of the Old Republic era stuff where they can have lots of Jedi without worrying about continuity...

or go further in the future.

I still think Lucas will want to come back to SW in maybe 5-10 years or so and have episodes VII, VIII, and IX... or at least am hoping.

Plus a New Special Edition and Prequal Special Edition to further rape some childhoods. :lol:

I still think that a teen dramedy/coming-of-age story set in Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy would be the best way to go.

Sure, have it about the Jedi and their coolness, but have the main focus on the characters and how they undergo the trials and tribulations of learning from Skywalker.

Becase, let's face it, SW is nothing but one long coming-of-age story. I think keeping that idea in a TV series would be the best thing possible (and keep the Jedi coolness, too).

I still think that a teen dramedy/coming-of-age story set in Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy would be the best way to go.

I don't wanna wait... for our lives to be oooo-ver... :lol:

Uh, no thanks on the WB Jedi Creek, though I'm sure it's a likely candidate.

It'll never happen, but I told my idea to BSU in PM not too long ago.

Law & Order: Wookie Justice

Scoundrels from Mos Eisley are brought to Kashyyyk to be brought to trial by angry Wookies who seek to bring order to the new Republic.

"In the New Republic justice system, the people are represented by two seperate, yet equally important groups: the Wookies who investigate crime and the Wookies who prosecute the offenders... usually by tearing their arms off and beating the offenders to death with their own severed limbs."

DUHN DUHN!

Of course, I'd probably be the only guy watching... but you have to admit it beats the hell out of CSI: Naboo

Not true.  A budget for a TV show is in direct correlation to how much advertising they can sell.  Never more than that, and that isn't much compared to a movie budget.  These companies are in business to make money, fans seem to forget this.

That makes perfect sense for broadcast TV. Is it true for cable as well? Do the subscription fees offset the money from advertisers?

For Cable TV its a different model (even though some DO have advertisers) but there is still the same constraint. There is a seriously limited budget. And just because a show souds "cooler" than maybe the plot of another show doesn't mean they can spend more money on one versus the other.

There is no way from a financial standpoint that ANY TV show could be produced for a higher budget than those produced today.

Not true.  A budget for a TV show is in direct correlation to how much advertising they can sell.  Never more than that, and that isn't much compared to a movie budget.  These companies are in business to make money, fans seem to forget this.

For Cable TV its a different model (even though some DO have advertisers) but there is still the same constraint. There is a seriously limited budget. And just because a show souds "cooler" than maybe the plot of another show doesn't mean they can spend more money on one versus the other.

There is no way from a financial standpoint that ANY TV show could be produced for a higher budget than those produced today.

It's Star Wars your talking about though. Advertizers will pay out the ass for those commercial slots.

It's Star Wars your talking about though. Advertizers will pay out the ass for those commercial slots.

Those slots are STILL only worth so much. Just because its Star Wars doesn't mean the entire world will watch it. Even if it could it reached world record viewership for a episode type show (IE: NOT like a miniseries) it would still command a pathetic budget in comparison to movie budgets.

Also remember both Ewok movies and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I have no doubt LFL marketers will put a strong effort to get hype about new programming along with getting a good line of advertisers. However, only time will tell how people react to the final Star Wars film and what will be the public's interest be for other types of programming.

Speaking of Boy meets world, is it me or did they have Eric just turn seriously crazy in the last season?

Actually the lastfew seasons were really bad for him. First he was just an average every day kid that did some stupid things. THen once he got into college he was made into a complete idiot which made you wonder how he ewven got into college but by the alst 2 seasons he was just insane. Particularly the last 8 or so epsiodes where I just waited for him to be carted off to a mental institute. Hist stupidity was suppsoed to help ratings but it ahd the opposite effect. I know as far as "teenie boppers and girl fans in general it made the character stop being "cute".

Back to this topic. This series if it ever gets off the ground will flop big time. Everyone who said Lucas doesn't care is right. This thing is just an after thought to him.

Those slots are STILL only worth so much. Just because its Star Wars doesn't mean the entire world will watch it. Even if it could it reached world record viewership for a episode type show (IE: NOT like a miniseries) it would still command a pathetic budget in comparison to movie budgets.

You speak the truth... but I'm curious about something you might know.

Are they factoring in the eventual DVD sales/licensing into the shows now? It seems pretty obvious that the DVD rights to a big franchise would be worth quite a bit and could help offset the show budgets.

I mean, they've got to be making dough off of TV DVDs if they're going to put out as many as they have lately.

You speak the truth... but I'm curious about something you might know.

Are they factoring in the eventual DVD sales/licensing into the shows now? It seems pretty obvious that the DVD rights to a big franchise would be worth quite a bit and could help offset the show budgets.

I mean, they've got to be making dough off of TV DVDs if they're going to put out as many as they have lately.

I would say that you have an important factor, but keep in mind that with Tvo now, TV is worth much less on DVD. people can record it and seconds later it makes it onto a file sharing network.

Well it doesn't look like JMS is currently in the running...

<<Subject: Re: Star Wars TV Series?

Date: 10/1/2004 7:36 PM Eastern Standard Time

Message-id: <20041001193511.07480.00001519@mb-m18.aol.com>

>The only person I think could do it - I mean, really do it - would be J.

>Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Jerimiah) he is the only person with TV

>Experience that I can think of who could pull it off and get the scale of

>it.

>

I think it'd be a great idea, it would certainly be the job of a lifetime...I

just don't think the friendly folks at ILM know me well enough to think of me

for this. But if anybody over there reading this wants to put in a good word,

feel free.

jms>>

Anyone have a address for George Lucas? Someone should send him the B5 DVD's.

Carl

Well it doesn't look like JMS is currently in the running...

<<Subject: Re: Star Wars TV Series?

Date: 10/1/2004 7:36 PM Eastern Standard Time

Message-id: <20041001193511.07480.00001519@mb-m18.aol.com>

>The only person I think could do it - I mean, really do it - would be J.

>Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Jerimiah) he is the only person with TV

>Experience that I can think of who could pull it off and get the scale of

>it.

>

I think it'd be a great idea, it would certainly be the job of a lifetime...I

just don't think the friendly folks at ILM know me well enough to think of me

for this.  But if anybody over there reading this wants to put in a good word,

feel free.

jms>>

Anyone have a address for George Lucas?  Someone should send him the B5 DVD's.

Carl

;) I don't know about that. B5 has strong story development and good characters. While it definately has its misses, like the Ranger movie, B5 as whole is a much more compelling series to me.

one way to do a series is to take all the post jedi books and cut them into one hour long segments. with over 50+ books there wont be a shortage of episodes and they mostly use already accepted designs. yes the effects budget is huge but through the expanded universe character, vehicle and weapon books not to mention planet books < the design budget will be minimal since most of what is needed is already there. i say go for it just get a good director and producer and let the origional actors appear for cameos in episodes where they arent main characters like han did in rouge squadron.