The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

Good God, I hope not! Have you ever *seen* the original Star Wars trailer? I'm amazed that they could get ANYONE into the theater!

Yep.

"Coming to your galaxy this Summer."

Most of them were pretty cheesy but I had to make an exception to the ESB trailer I mentioned. :D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

can't.....seem.......to........remember.......what.....movies..........where......origianlly......like. my brain is going into overload. to many updates, no longer great, why is hayden in the end of rotj, what kind of parallel universe is this, where is the lucas that i remember and loved, what has happened to him. i believe money has really affected his brain

where is the lucas that i remember and loved, what has happened to him. i believe money has really affected his brain

Not money. Children. He had a daughter between Empire and RotJ. Which, to me, explains why the target audience changed. ANH and ESB could be enjoyed by children, but teenagers and young adults also loved them. But, after he decided to make movies "for the children". . . we suddenly had things more 8-year-old-centric. And, of course, the humor went from subtle to. . . ewoks, burping, prat-falls, and other lame gags.

But I've ranted about this before. Sorry. Can't help myself.

H

where is the lucas that i remember and loved, what has happened to him. i believe money has really affected his brain

Not money. Children. He had a daughter between Empire and RotJ. Which, to me, explains why the target audience changed. ANH and ESB could be enjoyed by children, but teenagers and young adults also loved them. But, after he decided to make movies "for the children". . . we suddenly had things more 8-year-old-centric. And, of course, the humor went from subtle to. . . ewoks, burping, prat-falls, and other lame gags.

But I've ranted about this before. Sorry. Can't help myself.

H

"suddenly?"

Please... its all kid stuff dammit!

I swear you guys... one of these days... ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!

POW! Right to the 7th moon of Omikron Persei 8!!!

Anyway... if you truly think SW has lost its way then speak with your wallets. Nobody is holding a lightsabre to your heads. Then again... I know that 99% of the people bitching about GL and his creations will go see the films and buy all the assorted junk...

Ah.. how I love today's internet culture. Bitch all day... all the while acting as part of the problem. Its already too late... EpIII could bomb(not bloody likely) and GL will have already won... its the endgame baby and I'm on his side. :)

On the bright side... ep III news is getting better and better by the day. I hope its the greatest SW ever, though anything's better than ANH. But unlike others on this forum, I'm not nostalgic about any of them because I first saw them later in life. :)

"suddenly?"

Please... its all kid stuff dammit!

I swear you guys... one of these days... ONE OF THESE DAYS!!!

We've been through this before. Which is why I was brief. But, there is a difference between something that is "fun for all ages" and something that is written soley with children in mind. If you don't think there's any difference in tone between the first two movies and everything since. . . there's not much to be said. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I notice a distinct difference in tone and intended audience between the first two Star Wars and those after. I also notice a distinct difference in tone and intended audience between the first Indiana Jones movie and those after.

Or, to put it another way, there is a difference between the types of movies he made (or produced) before he had a child (American Grafitti, THX, ANH, ESB, Raiders), and those he made (or produced) after he became a parent (RotJ, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Willow, etc.).

He went from being a guy who related to teenagers (fast cars, cool stuff, sarcazm), to being a guy who solely wanted to make his little girl smile. Hence the gags, fuzzy characters, and other BS that appeared in every movie since he became a parent.

But, as I've said, we've all been through this many times before. And one time, it got pretty ugly. So, if at this point you still don't think there's any difference between the pre-parenthood Lucas movies and the post-parenthood ones. . . there's really not much left to be said. And I don't want to end up killing this thread with the same old tired debate.

Edited by Hurin

Diverting the topic away from said disaster, has anyone ever bought a copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special bootleg on dvd? I watching this on the couch with some mild recreational drugs would be hilarious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6323796097

I like the way this guy has even designed his own cover with "Every Saga has a bastard son". :D

PS, I actually remember seeing this on TV in australia, I would have been like 3 years old. Back then I thought it was fantastic. Children are so forgiving.

He went from being a guy who related to teenagers (fast cars, cool stuff, sarcazm), to being a guy who solely wanted to make his little girl smile. Hence the gags, fuzzy characters, and other BS that appeared in every movie since he became a parent.

Sorry man, but Star Wars was always aimed at kids.

He went from being a guy who related to teenagers (fast cars, cool stuff, sarcazm), to being a guy who solely wanted to make his little girl smile.  Hence the gags, fuzzy characters, and other BS that appeared in every movie since he became a parent.

Sorry man, but Star Wars was always aimed at kids.

Yeah, kids that love arms being chopped off...

:lol:

While there was no PG-13 back then I believe Lucas's intended sensibilties has noticeably gone from PG-13 to PG-8.

The best movies for me has always had that conflict where it's a kid movie made for adults or a mature movie that has things I want to see as a kid.

As a kid I grinned when the actors said bad words. And as an adult I smile when I see robots fight on screen. There's a fine line and Lucas gets to cross it whichever way he chooses because he and others like Spielberg drew the it for the modern cinema.

I'm actually glad for the changes. It'll make the viewing more interesting. Sure I'll wince once and a while, but as much as I love the original, there were parts in that that made me wince also. Hopefully they'll release it, but that's not what this is about. It's about something new.

I might pick up the DVDs...dunno yet for sure :p

as for the Stormtroopers being clones or regular recruits...definetely clones....

Why?

Its fricking obvious...all the Stormtroopers are vuagely human...you can't fit a Twlik or a whookie in the armor...heck haven't seen any of the troopers armor capable of fitting around more then half of the aliens seen in the films...so it's pretty obvious that the troopers are human like.

And if you were the emperor over the entire galaxy...a galaxy full of all sorts of alien life forms...woould you potentialy piss them off by purposefuly excludeing them from your army...would you tell teh wookies that they arn't good enough to be a part of the empires army, yet expect them to bow down to your every whim? Course not...not even the emporer has enough force power to control the minds of everyone in the whole galaxy...So, you would have all the aliens instantly revolt, not wanting to be ordered around by some human troops without have represenatives of thier own kind helping out....so you just make the stormtroopers clones ...clones of clones if need be...and wash your hands of the whole interspecies relations and potential pratfalls of exclusively useing humans for the army...

blah, at this stage in the game I don't think Lucas even knows what is going on anymore in his films :p

I might pick up the DVDs...dunno yet for sure :p

as for the Stormtroopers being clones or regular recruits...definetely clones....

Why?

Its fricking obvious...all the Stormtroopers are vuagely human...you can't fit a Twlik or a whookie in the armor...heck haven't seen any of the troopers armor capable of fitting around more then half of the aliens seen in the films...so it's pretty obvious that the troopers are human like.

And if you were the emperor over the entire galaxy...a galaxy full of all sorts of alien life forms...woould you potentialy piss them off by purposefuly excludeing them from your army...would you tell teh wookies that they arn't good enough to be a part of the empires army, yet expect them to bow down to your every whim? Course not...not even the emporer has enough force power to control the minds of everyone in the whole galaxy...So, you would have all the aliens instantly revolt, not wanting to be ordered around by some human troops without have represenatives of thier own kind helping out....so you just make the stormtroopers clones ...clones of clones if need be...and wash your hands of the whole interspecies relations and potential pratfalls of exclusively useing humans for the army...

blah, at this stage in the game I don't think Lucas even knows what is going on anymore in his films :p

They're regular recruits.

1. It was stated that a clone can not be made from a clone. Jango's dead, starting over is pointless, and it's been 20 years.

2. The Emperor hates aliens. Part of the reason for the rebellion is his prejudice. He's also sexist but he does manipulate things from time to time.

3. The Emperor has great influence. He built a Super Star Destroyer under Coruscant without anyones' knowledge. How one builds a huge ship on the most populated planets there is in secret would be difficult otherwise.

4. The Empire is a huge propaganda machine. The Emperor was portrayed as a hero who saved the galaxy from corrupt officials. In a twenty year period, so much mis-information was put out, even Luke saw joining the Empire as a way out of Tatooine. The clone theory and the celebration scene in RotJ SE went against the possibillity that maybe not everyone loved the rebels. This was the guy that turned public opinion against the Jedi.

Everything I've mentioned is supported by the films and the EU. I know some don't consider the EU canon, but Lucas does oncorperate stuff from them.

As for the holiday special, just about every disc on ebay is the same one Rikter of OriginalTrilogy.com put together. He restored as best he could, threw together some rare commercials, then distro'ed it for fans, and these jerks make hundreds. It's no wonder he won't put the Magnolia Fan edits out on bittorrent in DVDR form. If you want the holiday special, go to the thread I listed before, or even Suprnova, don't waste your money letting some jerk profit off another guys hard work.

Except for the fact that George Lucas himself has said that the Stormtroopers are all clones. But hey....obviously your fanfic takes precedence over the word of the writer/director/producer of the whole kit 'n' caboodle.

And yes, I said "kit 'n' caboodle." I'm that old.

Not just being a parent...but he dropped his long time producer Gary Kurtz after Empire was finnished...Kurtz had worked with him sense American Graffiti, and had no problems telling Lucas "no"...unlike the crew of yes men Lucas has around him now :p

Everything I've mentioned is supported by the films and the EU. I know some don't consider the EU canon, but Lucas does oncorperate stuff from them.

Blah, like it really matters anyway...

:lol: the next time Lucas gets a wild hair up his butt all that supposedly supported official cannon crap can and will quickly change...like it hasn't already :rolleyes:

my belief was that eventually the empire started excepting regular people as stormtroopers. when they started to take over the galaxy, i am quite sure they offered people of different planets the chance to join them or be destroid, which is why the stormtroopers all look different in the old trilogy

Edited by kanedaestes

EU = Not real SW.

Movies are the end of the line for me... Chewie is still alive. :)

Couldn't agree more. :)

Though I don't mind considering the games since most of them are LOT better then the novels will ever be. At least in my opinion and I like a few of the novels.

You know.. now that I think about it, genetic degradation might explain why the stormtroopers tended to be complete idiots, or at least horrible at killing anything. Heavily recycled genes.... :p

What gets me is that if the Empire's stormtroopers (which should be the elite, special forcess types) are that bad, I shudder to think what their regular troops are like.

Except for the fact that George Lucas himself has said that the Stormtroopers are all clones. But hey....obviously your fanfic takes precedence over the word of the writer/director/producer of the whole kit 'n' caboodle.

And yes, I said "kit 'n' caboodle." I'm that old.

Lucas supervises these "fanfics". He inputs on them and guides them. He even incorperates stuff from them. Could you show me the quote where he says that they're clones? I've never heard him say that in recent interviews(though I don't bother with all of them). Besides, if they're all clones, why did he only change Boba Fett's voice? I already acknowledged that some don't bother with the EU, and provided reasons outside it. I don't get where you're hostility comes from.

Lucas supervises these "fanfics". He inputs on them and guides them. He even incorperates stuff from them. Could you show me the quote where he says that they're clones? I've never heard him say that in recent interviews(though I don't bother with all of them). Besides, if they're all clones, why did he only change Boba Fett's voice? I already acknowledged that some don't bother with the EU, and provided reasons outside it. I don't get where you're hostility comes from.

Lucas didn't make the comment in an interview, this was in a set diary available on the official site's Hyperspace. He also comments on this in the Attack of the Clones DVD commentary, on how Boba was originally concieved as a sort of rogue Stormtrooper and later evolved into the son of the original clone. In this commentary they make it painfully clear for even the most resolute proponent of the "recruit" Stormtroopers that the clones are stormtroopers. Period. The troopers seen in the original trilogy are simply cloned from some other, non-Jango donor.

As for the "fanfics," I was referring to your (please note how "your" is spelled) attempts to justify your belief in the recruited Stormtrooper legions. Unless you somehow believe your theories override the opinion of the freakin' writer.

You know.. now that I think about it, genetic degradation might explain why the stormtroopers tended to be complete idiots, or at least horrible at killing anything.  Heavily recycled genes.... :p

What gets me is that if the Empire's stormtroopers (which should be the elite, special forcess types) are that bad, I shudder to think what their regular troops are like.

The Empire only sent Stormtroopers to capture the droids because regular Imperial Troops couldn't even hit the desert... :lol:

EU = Not real SW.

Movies are the end of the line for me...  Chewie is still alive. :)

Couldn't agree more. :)

Though I don't mind considering the games since most of them are LOT better then the novels will ever be. At least in my opinion and I like a few of the novels.

and fett is a gooey mess at the bottom of the sarlac pitt :lol:

Lucas didn't make the comment in an interview, this was in a set diary available on the official site's Hyperspace. He also comments on this in the Attack of the Clones DVD commentary, on how Boba was originally concieved as a sort of rogue Stormtrooper and later evolved into the son of the original clone. In this commentary they make it painfully clear for even the most resolute proponent of the "recruit" Stormtroopers that the clones are stormtroopers. Period. The troopers seen in the original trilogy are simply cloned from some other, non-Jango donor.

As for the "fanfics," I was referring to your (please note how "your" is spelled) attempts to justify your belief in the recruited Stormtrooper legions. Unless you somehow believe your theories override the opinion of the freakin' writer.

Please note how late it was when I typed that. Trust me, a mere typo is nothing compared to the bad grammer I've seen elsewhere. Also, give someone you don't know some credit for crying out loud. My theories don't superceed the author. I just don't have access to these set diaries. All my statements are based on what I've read regarding the films and such. In light of this, I'd say that not all Stormtroopers are clones. Otherwise, what's the point of the Imperial Academies? Why are the officiers not clones. If they recruit officers, why not Stormtroopers as well? It still doesn't explain why you seem so interested in rustling my feathers.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus