The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

Since the old thread is long buried, and it seemed to ramble on and off topic, I'm starting this new thread for pictures and previews of the new Star Wars DVD set. Only post in here to comment on these DVDs. If you don't like the Prequels, feel that George Lucas has "raped your childhood," or if you're just a whiny attention whore, post your thoughts in the other threads. Keep it on topic. Offenders will be summarily locked in a room with Carrot Top while he re-enacts his repitoire of "Dial Down the Middle" commercials.

Now then, who wants to see one of the biggest changes to the OT? I'm referring to the addition of Ian McDiarmid to The Empire Strikes Back, of course! Say goodbye to the old Chimp-lady. See the clip HERE.

Here's AMAZON.com's 4 minute preview of the DVDs. Nothing special, but its nice to see anyway. Check out all the old behind-the-sceens footage! And they even got Harrison "Don't Call Me Han Solo" Ford to speak on one of the docs! Who'da thought that the curmudgeonly Ford would do one of those?

More DVD rips! Here's the revised JABBA scene.

And now, some screengrabs from ESB. I don't recall who did the transfer/restoration but this looks absolutely phenominal. I've seen side-by-side comparisons to the '97 SE, and this blows the SE away by a mile. These films haven't looked this good since the early 80's.

post-25-1093537147.jpg

post-25-1093537163.jpg

post-25-1093537175.jpg

post-25-1093537189.jpg

post-25-1093537206.jpg

post-25-1093537222.jpg

post-25-1093537240.jpg

post-25-1093537262.jpg

post-25-1093537282.jpg

btw, these images were shamelessly stolen from some guy on Chud.com's forums.

yeah, the DVDs look great.. they finally fixed the lightsabers in the fight between vader and ben in the episode 4 as well.

course, I would have liked it better if they had cut out some of the added scenes... like jabba and han in episode 4...

I enjoyed the improvements on ESB, my favorite film from the trilogy. Cloud City was less clausterphobic. Hopefully my brother will get the set so I can check it out. I'm spent on the many versions of SW I have...

Well, it'll be very nice to have these on DVD at last. The transfer looks very impressive. One thing I'm sure of is the quality will be high as far as picture and sound.

The revised emperor scene is great. I like the additional dialogue and revised editing. The scene seems to flow better. Couldn't look at the Jabba scene. Says the bandwidth limit has been hit :)

Not to be a whiner but does greedo still shoot 1st?

Sadly, yes. However, the scene has been tweaked a bit to make it look....well, not so piss-poor. There's also the revised Jabba, which uses the same computer model as the Jabba in Phantom Menace. Other than that, the only big, BIG change is the addition of Hayden to the end of Jedi, as we've discussed before. Beyond that, the changes are supposed to be merely cosmetic, such as improved lightsabers.

OK, I just watched that Emperor scene with sound (my work pc don't have no speakers) and I think that change is awesome! There was nothing wrong with Clive Reville/Chimp Lady, but Ian McDiarmid just owns that role.

Yesssss....he would be a great...asset. Can it be done?

Not to be a whiner but does greedo still shoot 1st?

Sadly, yes. However, the scene has been tweaked a bit to make it look....well, not so piss-poor. There's also the revised Jabba, which uses the same computer model as the Jabba in Phantom Menace. Other than that, the only big, BIG change is the addition of Hayden to the end of Jedi, as we've discussed before. Beyond that, the changes are supposed to be merely cosmetic, such as improved lightsabers.

would be nice if they fixed up some of the dated CG used in SE ANH's dog fight scene. I swear rogue leader's graphics look better.

One thing I will give Lucas and his company, they know how to make one damned good trailers. A teaser or a trailer are the first hooks to drag in your audience, and Lucas & Co. are sheer masters of that art.

Looking back at my AoTC teasers, where they did each character... man, so awesome.

Nice touch-ups. Applaud that effort at least.

Hell yeah. I've been enjoying my bootleg DVDs for awhile now. And I still have EVERY intention to buy this set. And the diamond encrusted 6 movie set later... :ph34r:

I wish Lucas would also release the original Star Wars in the THX version.

It won't happen because that's not his definative vision of the trillogy... REGARDLESS OF RIGHT OR WRONG. I won't release my opinion here on which is the correct form, but I think people are beating the hell out of a very dead horse when they mention that.

Edited by Skull Leader

Now then, who wants to see one of the biggest changes to the OT? I'm referring to the addition of Ian McDiarmid to The Empire Strikes Back, of course! Say goodbye to the old Chimp-lady.

It's about friggin' time! I was expecting that to happen with the Episode V Special Edition back in 1997. Finally!

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor? It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like. Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

Edited by USMCBebop

Now then, who wants to see one of the biggest changes to the OT? I'm referring to the addition of Ian McDiarmid to The Empire Strikes Back, of course! Say goodbye to the old Chimp-lady

Wow! Chimps in this thread too?! :lol:

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor? It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like. Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

no it doesnt have the deleted scenes re-added :( i myself would have wanted to see the supposed scene where luke is on dagobah training and slices up trees, etc.

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor?  It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like.  Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

no it doesnt have the deleted scenes re-added :( i myself would have wanted to see the supposed scene where luke is on dagobah training and slices up trees, etc.

You're kidding, right? :( What's the matter, George too stingy about us seeing those lost treasures?

Edited by USMCBebop

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor?  It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like.  Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

You're kidding, right? :( What's the matter, George too stingy about us seeing those lost treasures?

Actually, most of that stuff was missing and presumed lost until just this summer. Word is that they found tons (and I mean TONS) of this stuff, but it won't be in this set. All of this footage is (supposedly) going to be cleaned up and will likely appear in a future DVD release. Could it be the mythical 2007 uberboxset?