Favorite toy line

GobotFool

I'm also a Transformer kid at heart.

.....and I gotta thank Takara (and Hasbro) for releasing Masterpiece Convoy (20th Anniversary Optimus Prime) AND the excellent Binaltech (Alternator) figures. Without those I probably wouldn't have collected anymore Transformers, those little beauties pulled me back into the fold.

Back in the day, the "Robotix" sets were pretty cool. You know, kinda like a cross between a plastic Erector set and Legos with octagonal connection points. They also had electric motors for making toys with motion and had G.I. Joe-sized action figures. Each set had all the stuff to make several different vehicles, weapons, etc. If you had them all, you could make some pretty crazy stuff.

Transformers 20th Anniversay line : Binaltech + Masterpiece :lol:

Transformers. Though, I really miss the well executed alt modes from early G1.

BT isn't enough to sate you? :o:blink:

Anyway I'm a G1, BT and Masterpiece transformer fan myself. All other TFer lines can rot in hell for all I care ;)

after TFers any well made mecha toy is up for grabs.

Edited by GobotFool

Hmmmm.........not really into any other toy lines except Macross. I'm just too much of a Macross fan at heart :D.

I have dabbled briefly in other toy lines, but I almost always end up getting rid of them after a year or so for various reasons such as I need money :p or I'm running out of storage/display space or I just get bored with the toys.

Lets see what other toys I have collected over the years: -

I collected all the V-Gundam toys that were released in 1993, as at the time I was a big fan of the TV series. I still have the toys in storage.

I've also collected the Bandai Gundam Sentinel 'Gundam Fix Figuration (GFF)' figures over the last 2 years, but I've got them all and there's no more to collect unless Bandai releases some new ones. All my Sentinel figures are now in storage as I needed more shelf space for my Macross toys and models.

For some reason I went really crazy about UC MSiA for about a year in 2002 and collected over a hundred. Even today, I don't know why as I don't really even like Gundam or most MS designs very much. Anyway, I ended up giving away or throwing away all of the little rubbery PVC things about a year ago. Actually, they weren't that bad and I still like the RX-79G the best. Still, the Macross purist in me wouldn't let me keep so many Gundam toys in the house :lol: as I consider Gundam the arch enemy of Macross.

I collected the Bandai SOC toys up to Grendizer, beacuse at that time I was in a stage of collecting cool robot toys irrespective of whether I actually liked that particular anime robot or not. However, after a while I deceided to collected only the mecha I truely liked, i.e. Macross, as I had no display room for other robots. So I sold all my SOC on ebay apart from Combattller V who is a childhood favorite.

I collected Star Wars figures as a kid when they first came out in 1977 and I carried on collecting them up until the Return of the Jedi figures in 1983, but I grew out of Star Wars as a teenager and never really got back into it again as an adult. No idea what happened to my figures and vehicles. My mum probably threw them out years ago.

I've never been interested in superhero toys, GI Joes, Transformers, McFarlane toys, movie toys, or sports star toys. I liked Lego and as a kid, but I haven't touched it for probably 25 years or more :D

It's safe to say that Macross toys are the only toys that can hold my interest and they have been doing that for nearly 2 decades so far.

Graham

I guess I'd say Transformers G1, since I still have so many on the shelf - but that series wins by sheer numbers, y'know?

I can think of several toy lines that I like as much or more, but they didn't release nearly as many things for me to buy.

Gakken's Mospeada - Mainly, the large scale Cyclone & Alpha, two of the best toys released in the 80's, IMHO

Dougram

Gundam DX - why there are 8 ga-jillion MSIAs and only so few 10-12" Gundam toys is truly beyond my comprehension

LEGO - I don't really think of this as a "toy line" per se. Back when I was a kid, you bought the different space ships and then designed your own stuff. I'd rather die than build a Lego Millenium Falcon or Harry Potter's Crib. To me, these were simply building blocks to use your imagination with.

Nightmare Before Xmas - some of the greatest designs ever - they look and feel exactly like they walked out of the movie.

Looking at what I have the most of, it would be GI Joe

at least those figures were cheap compared to transformers

even the larger vehicles were cheap compared to some of the bigger or combining

TFs

also a high playability value

But before GI Joe, lego was the Shiznit, give a kid a lego box and see him go Wild!

(well,... Me anyway!)

Looking at Lego these days they are still great kits, but the price is getting way too

ridiculous

Honorable mention:

M.A.S.K.

Starcom

Matchbox cars

(Why I didn't list Macross: except for Jetfire, no Macross Items were available when

I was young, I'm making up for that now)

gotta say macross as well...

lost my interest in g.i. -joes pretty early on and have no interest in the new stuff..

liked G1 transformers for a while but quickly lost interest and only recently got back on board with the MPC prime and the binaltech line...

gundams... eh. some are cool... others are rdiculous... kung-fu fighting gundam.

legos were and are super cool... but I dunno, just lost appeal one day and never came back, even though some of the new kits are uber cool.

action figures, various... meh. the mcfarlane toys are well sculpted but limited playability kept me away.

so it's macross for me, and thanks to yamato, I can finally afford to buy some.

haha.

:D

My favorite toyline? well as a kid it would have to be Star Wars. GI Joe I liked alot too. M.A.S.K was another favorite. Transformers I liked somewhat.

Nowadays...Berserk by Art of War/Yamato. Sure they are overpriced and the line is small but I dig the designs/characters. The statues I like but they are way too expensive

http://www.art-of-war.co.jp/

Macross? I like it..I don't love it like I used to. Its my second favorite toyline. I'm just sick of the high prices.

Edited by dejr8bud

You people who are saying GI Joe--are you talking about the 3-3/4" hard plastic toys or the 12" "action figures" (not dolls, please, not dolls!)

I haven't really collected toys other than Macross since I was a kid, but of the ones I bought/inherited before the age of 13 or so, I'd say my favorites were:

1) The 12" Adventure Team GI Joes. Joe switched from being a true soldier in the 60's to becoming a sort of adventurer/explorer around 1970, what with the unpopularity of the Vietnam war and all. I think the switch was actually pretty good, because it gave Joe a lot of cool accessories to play with, from hover sleds to ALVIN-like one-man minisubs, various critters to fight (a pygmy gorilla, a giant squid, a giant octopus), and treasure to "rescue" (pirate booty, a golden idol). But why did all the AT Joes look like Ed Bradley? Oh well, I still have two or three Joes, including one who talks, and one "Mike Powers", who was a cleanshaven bionically-enhanced friend of Joe introduced to compete with the Six Million Dollar Man. Plus a good amount of Joe equipment.

2) Not exactly a toy, the Aurora "Prehistoric Scenes" snap together posable models. 1:13 scale models of dinosaurs (including a huge T. Rex), other prehistoric reptiles, a cave bear, sabre tooth tiger, neanderthal man, cro-magnon man (and woman), woolly mammoth, giant carnivorous bird, etc. I had nearly all of them--and still do, stored in a box but missing many essential parts, waiting to be resurrected. Someday, someday...

3) The Best of the West series. I didn't have any, but I admired my friends' and cousins'. They were the same size as Joe but Cowboys & Injuns. Lots of neat accessries including, of course, horses. I remember the clothes were made out of rubbery plastic instead of cloth. The line gets points for having (gasp) a GURL among the figures (no gals for Joe, unless he stole Barbie from your sis's collection).

4) Major Matt Mason, a toy that would never be sold today in the original form, because unlike Joe and Johnny West, his articulation was achieved by making him out of rubber over a pliable wire skeleton. The wire was subject to popping out and it was sharp at the tips! Anyway, Matt was an astronaut, and he had a bunch of astronaut friends, plus a few alien friends and enemies. I had Matt, Scorpio (not sure if he was a friend or enemy, but he looked cool) and giant alien friend, Captain Lazer, who was made out of hard plastic and giant space cannon as an optional accessory.

5) A runner up would be the Aurora monster movie models, including King Kong, Godzilla, Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, and the Wolf Man. Not very playable, since they were glue-together non-posable models, but they did have optional glow-in-the-dark parts, and somehow I still managed to enjoy waving them around and making various kinds of growls and roars.

Mine is the only toyline that personifies perfection....

The REAL action figure.. The ACTION figure that gets ALL the action!!!

post-25-1087002684.jpg

And don't forget the Adventure Gear.

post-25-1087513227.jpg

Unfortunately this toyline is priceless, which is no big surprise considering it is a likeness of me... :wub:

Transformers. LEGO's good, but so expensive/overpriced. Seriously---"small plastic cubes that cost .03 cents to make--$50" I always wondered if all the money goes to R&D for the instructions...

Actually, if you buy the generic bucket o' blocks sets or the designer series sets they're not that bad. It's the licensed (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Spiderman, etc.) that are more expensive. I like the Star Wars sets because they come with some cool pieces, but the sets themselves aren't the greatest.

Anyway, LEGO is my favorite toy.

Transformers.  LEGO's good, but so expensive/overpriced.  Seriously---"small plastic cubes that cost .03 cents to make--$50"  I always wondered if all the money goes to R&D for the instructions...

Actually, if you buy the generic bucket o' blocks sets or the designer series sets they're not that bad. It's the licensed (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Spiderman, etc.) that are more expensive. I like the Star Wars sets because they come with some cool pieces, but the sets themselves aren't the greatest.

Anyway, LEGO is my favorite toy.

Same here. Especially the LEGO Technique sets.

I have cut down my collection considerably. I now only collect besides the Yamato 1/48, I have a bunch of the Muppets line and the biggest part of my collection is now 12" Star Wars figures. I do collect various 12" figures that I like. Liek the X-Files figures that are coming out soon.

I like the Star Wars sets because they come with some cool pieces, but the sets themselves aren't the greatest.

I had a discussion with a toyshop manager about that

Now I might not be a SW fan, but Lego made something out of it no one else could

Zoids. Just a great toy concept.

"Hmmm. Let's take fighting robots, all sorts of animals and dinosaurs, motorized toys, and model kits... And then smash them all together with a giant rubber hammer!"

"But, whatever could we call it?"

"Gundam?"

"Naw. That sounds stupid. Never catch on. Something else."

"Zoids?"

"That's it!"

"Will this do?"

"No. We'll need a much bigger hammer than that."

Mine is the only toyline that personifies perfection....

Ah, yes, I can barely remember "Big Jim", or was that "John"? :) For some reason I never saw much of him as a kid.

HAHA! Good call... BJ was huge in Europe. When I was in Belguim I'd get the stuff.

I like the Star Wars sets because they come with some cool pieces, but the sets themselves aren't the greatest.

I had a discussion with a toyshop manager about that

Now I might not be a SW fan, but Lego made something out of it no one else could

True. I'm just spoiled by seeing so many MOCs that blow the official designs away.

Those Hasbro GI Joe and Transformer kits using LEGO knock-offs are some of the most truly horrible toys I've ever seen. Especially the Transformers. You have to take them apart to transform and they still look like crap in both modes.

Transformers...

Late 1987 there was Robotech on Dutch television via "Superchannel" in the morning starring Linda de Mol and DJ Cat... :lol::p

Then in 1988 I saw some transformable valks in the Intertoys magazine... I was trying to beg my parents to buy one... without any succes lol.

They were priced about FL. 29,99... that's just only $15,- at that time! Could be a small scale version I can't remeber it all. :)

And recently a few years ago I found out about mospeada and the Legioss.. I fell in love with the Gakken ala vintage style... it looks like a chunky solid plastic quality toy... and ofcourse the ultra vintage brown colored canopy.

There's one thing I still couldn't find out... which toy is released earlier? The bandai 1/55 or gakken 1/35?