Yamato VF-1J kit - Macross The First

GGemini

Hello all,

Using Yamato's VF-1J kit I decided to make this:

VF-1J_kit_00.jpg

My idea was to make a VF-1J as if it were released by Yamato, meaning: no panel lining, not many decals. Here's what I came up with:

VF-1J_kit_01.jpg

VF-1J_kit_02.jpg

VF-1J_kit_03.jpg

VF-1J_kit_04.jpg

After seeing Jefuemon's excellent 1/72 kit, I noticed many mistakes in the width I selected for some lines. Also, as you can see by the irregularities in the lines, my masking skills are not so good. I like to think it looks like a resin prototype :lol:

Following the manual of the VF-1J kit, you're supposed to end up with the VF in fighter mode but I decided to leave it in battroid mode. I haven't transformed it yet... I'm really concerned about paint scratches. But I will transform it eventually and I'll post pics here.

Looking good! I didn't bother to change the head on my kit, either. Heck, can't even see it anyways!

Mine was the first heavy masking I'd ever done. I'm surprised myself at how well it turned out. I honestly don't see any bad lines on yours.

i really dislike that color sceme on that MT1-VF-1J. That's really too much garnish on a machine assigned to a junior pilot. I still think its something to make it just look different from the original material for no reason what so ever... Its cool to tweek the head but when your trying to make the hero machine look like a sh*tty Gundam paintjob....? Meh. Simple Red Lines, markings like modern aircraft and i would be content...

*mulls a bit* Maybe... what it still needs is all the panel lines visable. after looking a bit, i suppose it could be passable as a CAG bird. still needs more military grebble art to drag me to the Like side. ATM im in the middle on this... one thing you should consider is doing for the wing UNS kite that was done with the Side Number on the other wing: a thin space between the numerals '101' and wing strips. from a distance, you cant properly even see the UNS kite. if you make the strips with a thin space orbiting the kite circle, that would make it far more visable and more nice looking (even the old school VF-1J would benifite from this)

Edited by TehPW

Looking good! I didn't bother to change the head on my kit, either. Heck, can't even see it anyways!

Mine was the first heavy masking I'd ever done. I'm surprised myself at how well it turned out. I honestly don't see any bad lines on yours.

Thank you very much!

*mulls a bit* Maybe... what it still needs is all the panel lines visable. after looking a bit, i suppose it could be passable as a CAG bird. still needs more military grebble art to drag me to the Like side. ATM im in the middle on this... one thing you should consider is doing for the wing UNS kite that was done with the Side Number on the other wing: a thin space between the numerals '101' and wing strips. from a distance, you cant properly even see the UNS kite. if you make the strips with a thin space orbiting the kite circle, that would make it far more visable and more nice looking (even the old school VF-1J would benifite from this)

I think I'll eventually panel-line it, should look way better that way. The UNS kite is actually a different color than the wing strip, but I don't think the camera caught that. I agree, a separation from the lines and the kite would look better, but in this case I followed the image. Maybe I'll outline the kite when I panel line-it.

Once you put this VF-1J next to the VF-171EX, you can tell where the inspiration for the color scheme comes from.

I think it came out great. I believe you pulled off what you set out to do. - MT

Thank you

So....hard......not to........ah F it! :lol:

I like it, real nice and inspirational to see it physical. Makes me really hope my paint job for my custom VF-1S turns out well.

Thank you, looking forward to your VF-1S!

Aand, here it is, in fighter mode:

VF-1J_kit_05.jpg

VF-1J_kit_06.jpg

VF-1J_kit_07.jpg

Very nice. Remind me to get a VF-1J and let you comission it for me ;)

You can see where Alto's VF-25 is a clear inspiration for the new VF-1J, very clear. But I do think I like this new modern look a lot more as I keep looking at it.

I think ISCustoms was working on the 1J head. But if you ge it, don't get it in the white strong flexible... too much work to bother with.

I think it looks really well done. The old J head is the best IMO.

Agree, but I guess they need to show new things for the book... The book is awesome so far.

Great Job GGemnini! I love the red/black schemes too.

Thank you very much guys!

I don't think I'd do it again... the masking is quite a pain. Now to see how the paint holds when I get it back to battroid...

BTW, I'm not assembling the resin "Komiria capsule" that is included with the kit. If anyone is interested, I can sell it for $10 shipped.

edit: sold!

Edited by GGemini

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

this thread needs more love!

Very nicely done!

I know the comic book version has different head/visor design. I also know the head can be easily separated at the neck on this model.

Since you made it, can you make alternate comic book head and swap between two?

-just an idea :)

Are the diecast parts of the vf-1 kit unpainted? I noticed that the swing/hip bar looks unpainted.

I'm looking for a type of paint that will match the DYRL white and will not chip off easily during transformation. These diecast parts endure a lot of heavy contact with the plastic during transformation w/c makes them prone to paint chipping.

Again, awesome custom.... Very nice clean lines.

Are the diecast parts of the vf-1 kit unpainted? I noticed that the swing/hip bar looks unpainted.

I'm looking for a type of paint that will match the DYRL white and will not chip off easily during transformation. These diecast parts endure a lot of heavy contact with the plastic during transformation w/c makes them prone to paint chipping.

Again, awesome custom.... Very nice clean lines.

Everything diecast is painted white - except for that swing bar ball joint part.

Everything diecast is painted white - except for that swing bar ball joint part.

Painted already out of the box.... That was cool of Yamato.

How about if you'd want to repaint the diecast lerx part of a v2 vf-1... What kind of paint will be least prone to paint chipping?... and how to get it to match wil the off-white color of the DYRL valks? TIA.

For the diecast parts I would think that lacquers would be adequate, or automotive paint would be ideal for its strength and the fact that you can have them custom mixed (just take a sample you wish to color match with you and they do the rest) at most autoparts stores ready for airbrushing or even in rattle cans or those containers that couple with a propellant can.

Edited by mechaninac

My concern is the thickness of the paint. It's already tight between the parts and adding primer + car paint will increase the thickness and dimensions which increases friction level.

You might need to test on some surface and sand down before the paint job..

Good luck. I'm facing the same problem.

nice job! i've never seen that scheme before but it looks great. are the 1S schemes any different?

It's just Hikaru's J that got the repaint.