Cameron selects an Avatar

I wonder what finally got him out of that mini sub. I bet it was sharing a two foot by two foot space with Bill Paxton for a few years that finally did it.

Let's hope that his directoral skills did not dull after all this time... it might just be the negative nelly in me but for some reason this project sounds more like a technology demo than a movie. It always bothers me when the apparent "focus" of a movie is not on the story it is trying to tell but the new presentation technology it is trying to sell... kind of like all those bad 3D movies that came out in the early '80s (Friday the 13th 3D, Jaws 3 D, etc.). Ian Malcom's "they were too concerned with whether or not they could to take the time to ask whether or not they should" is ringing in the back of my ears. Personally I could care less if the movie is CGI MoCap ReCap LoCap HiCap RealCap FakeCap 3D 4D or EleventyD... I just want a good James Cameron movie. If he doesn't spend adequate time where it's needed this thing could wind up being his own personal Phantom Menace. Then again, a lot of people claim his "Phantom Menace" was The Abyss... and I liked The Abyss.

I don't mind him pushing technology. Even if the film sucks, at least it may spearhead a new format movement further along. Holography is eventually coming and I'd like to see it before I die, so anything that speeds the process up is a good move in my book. Film is dead.

He's been pushing film technology since his 4th movie (Aliens.)

I do hope that his directorial skills have been modified from the streak he was on before - bloated budget movies are the leading cause of the increase of movie ticket prices.

• 2 years later...

Just thought I would get in early and start a thread for this film. I first remember hearing about it during the early days of the internet and for a long time it dropped off the radar. Now, it looks like it is nearly here. The main question will be, was it worth the wait?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(film)

Taksraven

Already discussed here.

Sorry bout that, it is from the days before I was posting here and I did try to check to see if there already was a thread on the topic, but typing in the word 'avatar' into a search is about as useful as typing in the word 'the' or even 'macross', as you get lots of unrelated threads.

If the mods are happy for this thread to run, fair enough, or maybe they would be kind enough to merge the two, I dunno.

Taksraven

• 2 months later...
If Avatar is a hit maybe they might try to make a live action Macross or Gundam in japan.

I would not hold my breath for that....

Taksraven

I didn't like the the look of the hardware in the production sketches. I like them a little better in the E3 pics. It's still nowhere near, say a Tomahawk Destroid or even the Power loader, I think he took too much liberty trying to show the actors in the robots, BUT... I think once we see it in action it'll set the benchmark for live action mech battles.

...unless your into Bayformers... then I say tape some Megan Fox cutouts to your 3D glasses.

ADD: (I don't watch a lot of anime but I can't say it'll surpass a Macross Valk dogfight though. Those stuff are just magic, even if you don't like the shows.)

Nope, and as I recall Cameron had some legal battles over keeping the Avatar name because of Last Airbender.

There was an Article months & months ago stating that M.Knight Shyamalan wants to do AVATAR the last Airbender and James Cameron was like Hell no, you can't use Avatar since thats the name for my Movie. So besides possible legal issues, childishness issues as well.

How is that childish? Do you know how much money they put into advertising these films, and just have another film with the same title getting free publicity by the mere fact of confusion, do you think a studio or a director would want that for their property? Talk about fanboy critism.

Shymalan is already filming his movie and it'll be called the Last Airbender. I don't blame him either for trying to get the title because it's the name of the cartoon. Now if it was the other way around and Cameron was the one trying to get the title would it be childish for M Night to try to keep him from using the title? Besides, the directors don't have to lift a finger. The issue arises and the lawyers get to work, if Cameron would have lost there would be a new title for his movie, it happens.

I wish to see some of the legal proceedings & documents related to something around the lines of what was just discussed:

"WAAAAA! Someone took my name! MOOOOOM! SOME1 Took mah naaame!"

ORDER IN THE COURT!!! ORDER IN THE COURT!!!

Your Honor!!! HE started it!

I object! Did not!

According to evidence labeled 1A, as presented to the jury... did too!

Mom! I mean... Your honor!

ALRIGHT YOU TWO, BETTER STOP OR I'M TURNING THIS HEARING AROUND!!!

I wish to see some of the legal proceedings & documents related to something around the lines of what was just discussed:

If I can find the article again, I'll post it for you. It was on Wikipedia or on Yahoo news.

basically cameron started working on Avatar and then quite sometime later M. Night Shamalan said he also wanted to do a movie called Avatar. It's pretty obvious why Cameron would be pissed.

basically cameron started working on Avatar and then quite sometime later M. Night Shamalan said he also wanted to do a movie called Avatar. It's pretty obvious why Cameron would be pissed.

Cameron should retroactively sue the dubbers for Star Blazers as well, for daring to have "Captain Avatar" (cool name, I always thought).

This sort of legal action for generic words always cracks me up. Like Netscape trying to copyright "Scape" about a decade ago.

Taksraven

Cameron should retroactively sue the dubbers for Star Blazers as well, for daring to have "Captain Avatar" (cool name, I always thought).

This sort of legal action for generic words always cracks me up. Like Netscape trying to copyright "Scape" about a decade ago.

Taksraven

It ceased being a generic word when he titled his movie with it. There's plenty of movies and other works that have common usage words as titles, like "terminator", "breach", "Serenity", "Firewall", etc. Once you've trademarked that word for that particular usage it's yours to protect.

Do you really think M Night Shamalan would have rolled over and graciously allowed some other film maker to release a movie with the titles: Invincible, Happening, Village, or "sixth sense"? All either common usage words or phrases.

:rolleyes:

It ceased being a generic word when he titled his movie with it. There's plenty of movies and other works that have common usage words as titles, like "terminator", "breach", "Serenity", "Firewall", etc. Once you've trademarked that word for that particular usage it's yours to protect.

Do you really think M Night Shamalan would have rolled over and graciously allowed some other film maker to release a movie with the titles: Invincible, Happening, Village, or "sixth sense"? All either common usage words or phrases.

:rolleyes:

No, he would have cried, like he did when the Disney people told him that Lady In The Water was a bad script.

Seriously, I admit it was insane for Spike Lee to sue the Spike Channel for usage of the word Spike... but you can stop one actor for using the same name that another is actively using... it's just common sense. And it's not like the Avatar movie name issue sets a precedence in Hollywood or anywhere. I don't even think it's a big deal to anyone but people on this thread that can't get their heads around the fact that this happens.

I am interested in the article 505thAirborne was talking about... I'm sure he's correct about the inanity of the hearings. Those type of hearings are usually less about common sense and more about how can we pull a fast one.

Still trying to find that damn article, but this link kind of shows what I referencing to James Cameron & Fox pictures saying "We own the AVATAR movie title". This is why you double check your sources before talking, I forgot how long Cameron was working on this project, 11 years or more, I hope its worth the wait.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795695...d=1236&cs=1

I will say this, some times it best never to have 2 films with the same title, for example "Employee of the Month".......

thats the article I read when I first found out they were making an Airbender movie... never seen it, I saw one sequence and it was pretty good. I think they should have made an animted movie instead.

Par said it has registered the name of its project with the Motion Picture Assn. of America.

A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

He forgot "until we remake it 5 years down the line..."