Cameron selects an Avatar

IMHO, they're right at "uncanny valley" of weirdness as they are----they're so human, it's freaky. They even have human hairlines! I'm sure one will have male pattern baldness and sideburns. Actual "aliens" would work/look much better. Best examples of that in a while IMHO are Mass Effect----turians and krogans. Very alien, but still "humanoid" enough to empathize with.

Lets be honest though, true "aliens" would not be humanoid, in fact it is unlikely that they would have any features that a human could recognise.

I think that "The Masters" in the Tripods TV series were a really good attempt at an alien creature with few, if any, recognisable features (apart from "legs and arms" if you can call them that"), especially since they were achieved with a TV budget......

master2.jpg

Taksraven

Lets be honest though, true "aliens" would not be humanoid, in fact it is unlikely that they would have any features that a human could recognise.

I think that "The Masters" in the Tripods TV series were a really good attempt at an alien creature with few, if any, recognisable features (apart from "legs and arms" if you can call them that"), especially since they were achieved with a TV budget......

master2.jpg

Taksraven

obviously you missed this bit of news... http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090817/sc_...ockfoundincomet

obviously you missed this bit of news... http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090817/sc_...ockfoundincomet

OK, sorry about that. (Yes, I did notice that story during the week) I was going to suggest that you go out and make a great film about molecular sized aliens but then I realised its already been done....

andromedastrain.gif

Taksraven

True aliens? *Wraps foil around head*

It's kinda sad because everyone and their Terminator mother has been waiting for a new Cameron film. A friend told me that the creatures look like ass in the movie and I refused to believe it. When I finally saw it, I was thinking... well it's looks more like a zebra than an ass but I see what you're saying.

It's hard to believe that this is the guy that insisted so much on getting the look of the Alien Queen, the Sulaco and the drop ship so right that he ended up drawing them himself. It looks like he went to the dartboard for the approval process this time around. Everything else looks great to me and I'm hoping that the story will be good. But no matter how good the story is I can't help but think that we're finally gonna get what I hoped for back in 2001, a neat little CG feature by a video game maker.

so if it was called Final Fantasy: Avatar, we'd all be happy?

I think we'd all be a lot happier than when we saw "James Cameron's Avatar"... but then again this is MW... how long does that happiness last?

The detail on the miniature from Sideshow is impressive - look at the closeups from the cockpit. I'm not hating the design as much as I did before, but it still lacks a certain degree of badassness.

Someone saw a 15 minute preview of Avatar and was not impressed (after seeing D9 before):

http://nznoldor.blogspot.com/

parts of it look amazing... but I dunno, the whole alien native thing doesn't track for me, reminds me of some bad saturday morning cartoon.

Remove the name of the director and you'll think it's a trailer for the next Pixar (which I do respect a lot, but I go see their stuff to find back parts of my childhood, not serious SF)

And the mecha design of their AMP or whatever thingie is 25 years old at best: even VOTOMS look more modern. And what is this habit to make the pilot apparent from the outside? The Wachowski retards already did this in Matrix: do they really want their pilots killed by lost bullets or what? C'mon guys: the armor of your mech' is supposed to protect the pilot...

10 years of waiting for this... :ph34r:

Edited by Gui

Oh, I'll go see it anyway: it'll not be worse than any other SF movie anyway but still, from Cameron, this looks very disappointing...

MW helps me out again.

I had heard some time ago about Cameron doing an 'avatar' movie and I just assumed it was the airbender story.

I am now informed. He is my favorite director (of course) and I'm pumped about this movie.

Found this link:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/08/everyt...amerons-avatar/

Sounds like James Cameron lifted a bit from Ferngully if you ask me.

I saw the trailer before Inglorious Basterds. As someone who isn't a follower of James Cameron's work, hasn't been eagerly anticipating Avatar and in fact didn't even know about it until I saw the trailer, I thought it looked mildly interesting at best. I could tell the trailer was designed to "fill the viewer with wonder and amazement" but I didn't really see anything that stirred me. To be honest when I combine the trailer I saw with all of the hype I've been reading, I get a Waterworld sort of feeling. Not that I wish any kind of Waterworld failure upon the movie or anything. Maybe they just did a poor job putting the trailer together. Frankly the other Avatar looks better, but only marginally so. Sort of like when there are two shows on at the same time and you can't decide which one to flip to between commercial breaks of the good show that you're watching and ultimately you decide to flip to neither, mute the commercials and just wait. :/

Edited by eriku

With the aliens looking so human they would have been better off doing the whole thing in costumes and use CG to enlarge them throughout the movie. This looks very fake. We're all seeing it on this thread and even my office mates who are not sci fi fans are saying the same.

Hmmm - I imagine Cameron has taking serious note of District 9. I bet its success has not made him feel the most secure about his own approach here.

Then again, there may be such a huge ego (or extreme confidence?) going on (lucas?) that second guessing at his level just doesn't happen anymore . . .

If the "very human looking" aspect is due to studio interference, perhaps it'd have been better if Lucas did it? He's got enough money to do things EXACTLY how he wants. You've gotta admit, Lucas has no qualms about prominently featuring ugly, inhuman aliens.

Looks interesting and it's Cameron, so I'm intrigued. I think all the "controversy" is because people bought into Cameron's pre-release hype for the last year now and have experienced something of a prequel-syndrome (read Star Wars). Expectation has gone beyond what it should, so of course the trailer isn't living up to it. I think Cameron's days of zeitgeist-capturing cinema are in the past, but this looks like a very interesting sci-fi film. I'm certainly excited by what I've seen. Given that 2009 has been a watershed year for fun and engaging science fiction cinema (Star Trek, District 9), I'm definitely willing to risk my dollars on Avatar.

This is a career breaker. It looks cool but too cgish. They could have pulled off something decent by doing something like Appleseed/Final Fantasy both versions for a lot less money

200 million is a waste of good money that could feed new biotechnologies.

This to me looks like a collage of Delgo+ Dragon Hunters (thinking of all the floating islands) and dinosaur hunter.

AND its 3-D which I Personally hate cause wearing glasses in a theater is fartin stupid! 2-D all the way unless its a Holodeck

Now there are two Avatar films which is confusing

Anybody else think the blue chick is hot

Oh and I forgot to add that the story is very similar to Terra

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0858486/

I'm not sure whose career it'd break. Cameron has basically secured his legacy in film, this isn't going to change that. The dude from Terminator: Salvation was well...in Terminator: Salvation, so he couldn't fall too much more off the radar. I think Sigourney Weaver is in this too, but again, she doesn't do much anymore and she has secured her film legacy.

I'm intrigued by this and with the good Sci-fi we've gotten this year I have high hopes.

• 2 weeks later...

master2.jpg

Taksraven

Interesting point you bring up. I wonder about that myself. What is the likelihood that a real alien would be humanoid?

The way I see it there are 2 schools of thought. Creation vs evolution. In the case of a creation theory an alien would be made in the image of God as we Earthlings are. In the case of an evolution theory the best possible form would go on to survive and thrive. In our own example of Earth, our humanoid form seems to be the best design for long term survival. But, that is due to Earth's environment. So, I like to think that if a planet is similar to Earth then the aliens would be humanoid in nature. If the life form is capable of surviving on a very different planet where Earthlings cannot survive, then I would think that the alien would take on some strange form that is possibly very un-human like.

I'm not sure whose career it'd break. Cameron has basically secured his legacy in film, this isn't going to change that. The dude from Terminator: Salvation was well...in Terminator: Salvation, so he couldn't fall too much more off the radar. I think Sigourney Weaver is in this too, but again, she doesn't do much anymore and she has secured her film legacy.

I'm intrigued by this and with the good Sci-fi we've gotten this year I have high hopes.

Yeah, if Lucas, Spielberg and Ford can survive Indy 4, I'm pretty sure Cameron can survive Avatar. Besides, Cameron can just turn around and say... " No no no... mine was the one with the bald headed kung fu kid... M Night did the blue aliens one... remember Signs?"

Yeah, if Lucas, Spielberg and Ford can survive Indy 4, I'm pretty sure Cameron can survive Avatar. Besides, Cameron can just turn around and say... " No no no... mine was the one with the bald headed kung fu kid... M Night did the blue aliens one... remember Signs?"

I quite enjoyed Signs. I also enjoyed Contact as well. Guess I like films that a lot of others don't.

Taksraven

Interesting point you bring up. I wonder about that myself. What is the likelihood that a real alien would be humanoid?

The way I see it there are 2 schools of thought. Creation vs evolution. In the case of a creation theory an alien would be made in the image of God as we Earthlings are. In the case of an evolution theory the best possible form would go on to survive and thrive. In our own example of Earth, our humanoid form seems to be the best design for long term survival. But, that is due to Earth's environment. So, I like to think that if a planet is similar to Earth then the aliens would be humanoid in nature. If the life form is capable of surviving on a very different planet where Earthlings cannot survive, then I would think that the alien would take on some strange form that is possibly very un-human like.

Not sure if I would consider Creation as a "School of thought". It is interesting to think about though.

In the original version of War of the Worlds, the Martians were described as a "bulky, octopus-like creatures the size of a bear", to quote Wikipedia, and this was explained as clearly the best form for surviving on Mars. Its a pity that most filmed versions have made the creatures much more humanoid in appearance, but visual Sci-fi generally prefers to have humanoid aliens.

Taksraven

• 1 month later...
True aliens? *Wraps foil around head*

It's kinda sad because everyone and their Terminator mother has been waiting for a new Cameron film. A friend told me that the creatures look like ass in the movie and I refused to believe it. When I finally saw it, I was thinking... well it's looks more like a zebra than an ass but I see what you're saying.

It's hard to believe that this is the guy that insisted so much on getting the look of the Alien Queen, the Sulaco and the drop ship so right that he ended up drawing them himself. It looks like he went to the dartboard for the approval process this time around. Everything else looks great to me and I'm hoping that the story will be good. But no matter how good the story is I can't help but think that we're finally gonna get what I hoped for back in 2001, a neat little CG feature by a video game maker.

Movies are a means to temporarily escape our own world and reality. Sadly, the industry is so inbreed and regurgitated from previous endeavors, that it almost never succeeds in that simple task. I have heard so many people bash Avatar. Or think little of it. I think part of this has to do with the fact that it's James Cameron. The mastermind who brought us the Abyss. Aliens. Terminator. And yes, Titanic. I think we have such high expectations for Avatar, that we're not really giving it a chance. Another thing to consider is the few breadcrumbs we've seen of this (no thanks to Fox's atrocious ad campaign) does not portray this film in the proper light. Keep in mind, this film was made exclusively for the 3D median. Not too many have had a chance to see the footage in a good 3D theater. Trust me. Once you see this in 3D, it makes all the difference in the world. You will take off your shoe, and put your foot in your mouth. :) Avatar will be brilliant. It will dazzle you, and do what so rarely happens anymore: take you to a place you have not been before...

Even if you don't like some of the creature designs. I think after you see the film, you will feel different.

Even if you don't like some of the creature designs. I think after you see the film, you will feel different.

and if I don't should I come knocking on your door first demanding my money back, or should I just go strait to Mr. Cameron?

and if I don't should I come knocking on your door first demanding my money back, or should I just go strait to Mr. Cameron?

This isn't Micheal Bay we're talking about. James Cameron is talented, and won't let us down. Have some faith.

This isn't Micheal Bay we're talking about. James Cameron is talented, and won't let us down. Have some faith.

Yeah....I watched the 3-minute trailer before the Cowboys game today.....looks MILDLY interesting at best........I'm trying to get pumped up about this...... :rolleyes:

Edited by derex3592