Cameron selects an Avatar

Just like to point out that in Aliens, the marines had tons of high tech weapons, and were annihilated by a force of aliens who had nothing but sharp claws, sharp pointy teeth, and acid blood. The aliens only lost because the marines damaged the terraformer reactor.

I finally saw the trailer ahead of 2012, and I'm thinking Aliens part 2.

bit different. in Aliens the marines were ambushed in a confined area by highly specialized stealth predators who's whole existence is "sneak up on shit from the shadows and kill it." Also they had to turn in all their explosive tipped ammo so they were down to nothing but pistols.

and the Aliens had f*cking ACID FOR BLOOD!

what do the natives in Avatar have? they're blue and have long necks, and they ride f*cking blue dragons against gunships and power armor...

James Cameron, I am disappoint <_<

they were also greatly outnumbered.

That is true. However, if the marines had given their situation more thought, I think they could have held off the aliens indefinitely. It also didn't help that most of their firepower was destroyed when the dropship crashed into the APC.

Or sent a unit with a tiny bit more discipline (or without a wet behind the years butter bar as commander). But yeah, basically 2 squads of guys. I would at the very least expect a full platoon with 3 elements in classic US style 2 front, 1 reserve MO.

it's not that hard to believe, taking over and securing a populated area requires a ton of man power and lots of resolve, far more than simply walking in and blowing poo up.

Eh, if all you care about is getting the land to strip mine it, then it really is as simple as blowing sh!t up. (i.e. Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure)

Edited by anime52k8

Eh, if all you care about is getting the land to strip mine it, then it really is as simple as blowing sh!t up. (i.e. Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure)

of course, but the trailer itself says they're working on a diplomatic solution.

of course, but the trailer itself says they're working on a diplomatic solution.

It's easy to foresee that someone thinks the diplomatic solution takes too long/costs too much money/endangers "national security", so they go for the "blow up poo" option.

It's easy to foresee that someone thinks the diplomatic solution takes too long/costs too much money/endangers "national security", so they go for the "blow up poo" option.

Sure, but history is filled with examples of a vastly technologically superior force being driven out of a captured territory by relatively poorly armed insurgents.

Sure, but history is filled with examples of a vastly technologically superior force being driven out of a captured territory by relatively poorly armed insurgents.

I'm not contradicting you there.

Also, the Navi have help from inside the Marines. And it looks like they attempt a decapitation strike against the "Boss Ship".

Heh, British humor site 'The Daily Mash' had a piece on Avatar that made me laugh out loud.

Read it here: avatar-'greatest-ever-film-with-blue-pretend-cat-people'

Graham

I dunno, the only real joke they had was about the "blue cat people" and they repeated that about three or four times.

I liked the comment about Titanic though. That was getting a LOT of bad press before it was released and when it was released suddenly everybody is running around calling it a "classic", even though the Leonardo/Kate plot could have been written by a five year old on red cordial, or a monkey with a crayon (same intellect).

Taksraven

Aside from all the CG character designs, which are probably the thing I dont like the most about the trailers... I think the rest of the elements of this movie is exactly what I'm excited about... Giant war transport ships. Otherworld vistas. Combat action. Giant non sentient robots!!! I understand the harsh criticism though.... it's freakin Cameron! After 11 years! With an ultra overbudgeted flick after the most profitable picture ever made!

Can't wait!!!!

Great article, and the point is everyone will still see it, even if they hate the blue cat people.

My big complaints are that the previews have showed too much (guess I needed Indy telling me to "shut my eyes, don't look at it"), and that its too clean and crisp.

Muddy it up, make it harder to see every darn detail ala' District 9. You've already spent the bank - spend a little more on some shadows and 'grainyness' . . .

Heh, British humor site 'The Daily Mash' had a piece on Avatar that made me laugh out loud.

Read it here: avatar-'greatest-ever-film-with-blue-pretend-cat-people'

Graham

HEEHEE That was funny Pull my foreskin over my head. Even better shi t I read for the Transformers 2 film review

Even better when Captain Gestapo says

"Cameron spent to much time underwater"

"And has taken the Hollywood opiate of Putting Technology before Story"

"He should have left the remake of Ferngully: The last Rainforest to Lucas"

"They said the 3D would be so good it would be like having your eyeballs f uck ed"

"god dam fox studios would give wolverine webshooters and a bat cape"

"fights off space marines with his freaking organic farm"

"All these masters have lost their minds in the depths of a hard drive"

"Sam Worthington....He is a bigger blockhead than mount rushmore"

TEEHEE classic

My big complaints are that the previews have showed too much (guess I needed Indy telling me to "shut my eyes, don't look at it"), and that its too clean and crisp.

Muddy it up, make it harder to see every darn detail ala' District 9. You've already spent the bank - spend a little more on some shadows and 'grainyness' . . .

They did already - the above screenshot is from the teaser, and the lower from the trailer. Note how motion blur and atmospheric effects were added, background composition was changed and the trees have disappeared altogether.

post-1187-1260534125_thumb.jpg

By coincidence, I just watched a rerun of The Abyss on TV. The Deep Core set is the most convincing SF movie set I can remember, I loved the amount of detail, and the character interaction.

Can't wait to see Avatar.

They did already - the above screenshot is from the teaser, and the lower from the trailer. Note how motion blur and atmospheric effects were added, background composition was changed and the trees have disappeared altogether.

Wow, that's a pretty big difference, does make it look a lot more realistic.

post-1187-1260534125_thumb.jpg

By coincidence, I just watched a rerun of The Abyss on TV. The Deep Core set is the most convincing SF movie set I can remember, I loved the amount of detail, and the character interaction.

Can't wait to see Avatar.

Wow - excellent pic to post! I did not know they 'muddied it up' so to speak. Did they admit was was due to audience reaction? Is there a link to a story you got that pic from?

Apparently its getting some warm reviews in England

??????

It may have been edited and impressed people with the changes or

PAYOFFs which is what im leaning towards.

People around me loved T2. I thought it was the dumbest action movie ever

and the critics agreed

Here it seems they like it.

Who knows maybe wearing those bi-colored glasses gave them some funk

Just watched it in 3D. It was an enjoyable watch although with a generic story. I sum it up as, Pochahontas in Sci-fi. I mean the main character Jake Sully has the same initials as John Smith? (long stretch but thought i just mention it :lol:)

Very stunning visual effects. Generic story was generic but at least it was really pretty. The helicopter pilot actor....why does she keep getting this kinda roles? :lol:

Just watched it in 3D. It was an enjoyable watch although with a generic story. I sum it up as, Pochahontas in Sci-fi. I mean the main character Jake Sully has the same initials as John Smith? (long stretch but thought i just mention it :lol:)

Very stunning visual effects. Generic story was generic but at least it was really pretty. The helicopter pilot actor....why does she keep getting this kinda roles? :lol:

I haven't seen the movie yet... but is Michelle Rodriguez the chopper pilot? If so, I tend to agree, she seems to be boxed into the "tough latina" role a lot <_< ... she plays pretty much the same character in Fast&Furious franchise and LOST.

Still trying to decide if I want to go see this or not.

Pre-Titanic, I would have had no hesitation about going to see a new James Cameron Sci-Fi movie, but a number of points are turning me off paying money to see Avatar at the cinema.

First and foremost is the CGI. While it may (or may not) be revolutionery and groundbreaking or whatever other superlatives you want to throw at it, it's still sounds like it's gonna be 2 hours plus of blue CGI cat people, in a CGI alien forest, riding on CGI dragons. I'd rather watch live actors thank you very much. The trailer that's been running on TV here, focusing on the blue CGI cat people and their world has really, really turned me off and to be honest, at least on a small TV, the CGI looks pretty average.

Second is what I've been hearing about the pacing and style of the movie itself. From what I've heard the first hour is more like a nature/wildlife documentary, the second hour is Dances with Wolves with blue CGI cat people and it's only in the last 40 minutes that we get to see the cool military hardware and crap blowing up.

Will wait for some reviews first, put the more I hear, the more this is sounding like a rental.

Although to be fair, people have said the last 40 minutes of 'crap blowing up' is supposed to be really, really good. Maybe I should just skip the first 2 hours and arrive at the cinema to see the last 40 minutes!

Graham

This movie is a Netflix movie for me - I own a big screen HDTV and seeing it at home would be about equivalent to seeing it in a theater. Except at home I have full use of a clean bathroom, my feet don't stick to the floor, popcorn doesn't cost more than a steak dinner and I can slam beers!

This movie is a Netflix movie for me - I own a big screen HDTV and seeing it at home would be about equivalent to seeing it in a theater. Except at home I have full use of a clean bathroom, my feet don't stick to the floor, popcorn doesn't cost more than a steak dinner and I can slam beers!

THis

and graham how come your shi t doesnt come off as poo :lol:

Still trying to decide if I want to go see this or not.

Pre-Titanic, I would have had no hesitation about going to see a new James Cameron Sci-Fi movie, but a number of points are turning me off paying money to see Avatar at the cinema.

First and foremost is the CGI. While it may (or may not) be revolutionery and groundbreaking or whatever other superlatives you want to throw at it, it's still sounds like it's gonna be 2 hours plus of blue CGI cat people, in a CGI alien forest, riding on CGI dragons. I'd rather watch live actors thank you very much. The trailer that's been running on TV here, focusing on the blue CGI cat people and their world has really, really turned me off and to be honest, at least on a small TV, the CGI looks pretty average.

Second is what I've been hearing about the pacing and style of the movie itself. From what I've heard the first hour is more like a nature/wildlife documentary, the second hour is Dances with Wolves with blue CGI cat people and it's only in the last 40 minutes that we get to see the cool military hardware and poo blowing up.

Will wait for some reviews first, put the more I hear, the more this is sounding like a rental.

Although to be fair, people have said the last 40 minutes of 'poo blowing up' is supposed to be really, really good. Maybe I should just skip the first 2 hours and arrive at the cinema to see the last 40 minutes!

Graham

But its pacing isn't bad though, despite poo blowing up happening only later. It'll breeze through pretty fast.

I love the gigantic gunship thing.

I try not to be a movie snob...but I guess the older I get, the more I find I am. poo blowing up just isn't good enough. I don't care how much poo, and how much it blows up. I want a good movie. Good story, good dialog, good pacing. Previously (pre-Titanic), Cameron delivered on these. Aliens is a great action movie, but it is also a great movie, period.

Now, perhaps the trailers are not trying to capture this "quality movie" feel, as trailers are wont to do...but so far, I do not like what I see. I see "Awesome FX and amazingly overthetop acton." I do not see "plus, it's actually good."

I should note, I don't really like over-the-top action. I like my action to be realistic, with a bit of a flourish added for dramatic effect. Does't one of the trailers have someone jumping from a flying beast onto the back of a dropship or something? I must be getting old but that stuff just makes me groan.

THis

and graham how come your shi t doesnt come off as poo :lol:

Trying to circumvent the word filter by putting spaces into words like shit just makes you look like you have some sort of typing dyslexia. just so you know. ;)

also why does slut filter to slurm? since when is that inappropriate language?