Preorder for the Alpha MPC is now open

On second thought... if this were say... a prototype, the final version being "perfecct" that might be a different story.

Well, we've seen how Toynami's 'prototypes' compare to their 'production' toys. So, I think it's safe to say this is the best we'll see.

A clear canopy might be an improvement, but that's if they throw.

Ack! if this is as good as its gonna get?!? I haven't changed my mind.

If they improve the seams and make a "real" canopy/cockpit... then thats a different story.

I consider it a wait and see.. HG has enough of my money as it is, I think I need to give more to BW

Okay...

1.) I want the Japanese issued Mospeada ones that Toynami is suppose to sell overseas..

2.)$80.00!! Yeah keep puffin that crazy crack HG.

3.)Please tell me its gonna look much better than that...especially for $80.00

I think the sculpt is hot, but that better be a painted prototype (although you think they would have mentioned it somewhere if it was). The seams are nasty, and the canopy sux. My guess is that it is the final version, but they painted over the canopy to hide some super-special detail in the cockpit...or the battery for the light-up eye is in the cockpit:(

The pictures on Toynami's site look like those of a test-shot model, so for those of you hoping for an improved final product you're out of luck: aside from (possibly) having a clear canopy for the production toy, that's pretty much what it'll look like. The paint job will probably be worse, as per Toynami's usual qc standards.

Sculpt is poor... I find it both hilarious and tragic that overall, the proportions on the "improved" IMAI sculpt looks even worse than the 20 year-old kit it was copied from; the fit of the LEX/engine nacelle/wing root is clumsy and mismatched... Japanese engineering my a$$ <_<

$19.99 toy in tacky Disney packaging. $80?--HA!

John F. Moscato

Okay...

1.) I want the Japanese issued Mospeada ones that Toynami is suppose to sell overseas..

2.)$80.00!! Yeah keep puffin that crazy crack HG.

3.)Please tell me its gonna look much better than that...especially for $80.00

What Milkman said! :D

After Takara KO'ed Yamato with the MPC Optimus Prime Convoy in terms of Quality/Price and Value, I think toy collectors in the know have elevated their standards. At least my expectations have gone up.

I'm sure we can wait a few months and find some in the bargain bins for 25 USD or less.

As inaccurate as the sculpt may be, it's still a lot better than the old Gakken toy.

You maybe right, but I got my Gakken for $20 back when it was being produced. And at that time it was one of the best toys out there. Toys like the Gakken shouldn't be much more than that now. Maybe even more if it was still being produced domestically.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the Toynami Alpha if they sold it for what it's worth. An Alternator is $20 at Target. Even with it's limited release it should still be under the $40 mark.

Edited by >EXO<

The pictures on Toynami's site look like those of a test-shot model, so for those of you hoping for an improved final product you're out of luck: aside from (possibly) having a clear canopy for the production toy, that's pretty much what it'll look like. The paint job will probably be worse, as per Toynami's usual qc standards.

Sculpt is poor... I find it both hilarious and tragic that overall, the proportions on the "improved" IMAI sculpt looks even worse than the 20 year-old kit it was copied from; the fit of the LEX/engine nacelle/wing root is clumsy and mismatched... Japanese engineering my a$$ <_<

$19.99 toy in tacky Disney packaging. $80?--HA!

John F. Moscato

Good to hear from you again. Any chance you will be finishing the project to show Toynami how an

Alpha/Legioss should be done? I sincerely hope so.

In terms of the MPC Alpha, I am in agreement with the general consensus. The toy is okay at a lower

price point. I would be willing to pay $25.00 for it if the thing shows up in a bargain bin. The final product

just looks too cheap with the low quality plastic, ugly seams, and a painted canopy. Reminds me of

the childrens toys kids played with when they were three or four (the canopy I mean).

Funny thing is, the Gakken Alpha was made several years back, and I still think that toy kicks ass.

The proportions are wrong, but the scale and ABS plastic more than makes up for it. How come in

our age of technology, remakes are getting crappier? I just hope that the prices for the Gakkens

start coming down as a result of the MPC release. Of course if the good Captain decides to finish

his project, I would start saving up money for that instead.

i wouldn't be surprised if the price drops. look at the yf-1r. it was 80, then it dropped to like 50-60

I wouldn't talk when the Yamato VF-1's were ¥6,800 then dropped to like $26 shipped on eBay. That's about 35% of its original worth (assuming S/H was about 6 bucks) compared to the Toynami, which kept at least 62.5% of its value.

Okay, I came late to the game but if you can tell me where to get a VF-1S strike, VF-1J Max or Millia, or VF-1D for $26, I'd gladly pay you a commission.

Surely the earlier Yamato VF-1's took longer to drop to their current prices than the YF-1R has taken to drop to its current level.

Anyway, the $80 MPC price tag is probably Toynami/HG highballing the price, knowing they'll still make a profit if they can sell it at $40. If a few people bite at $80, so much the better.

Edit: It's already available for $70 + S/H! :lol:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3172393657

Edited by ewilen

ok a newbie question. Hi there, i have seen this animation when i was young cant rem much thou. but the alpha fighters only appeared in robotech rite? never in macross.

Yep, the Alpha Fighter from Robotech aka Legioss Armo-Fighter from Genesis Climber Mospeada never appeared in Macross.

But many Macross fans are friendly to the design because they came up through Robotech or they just like transformable mecha toys of that era.

Some are even more Mospeada fans than Macross ones....

Cyc

They can stuff the cyclones. All I want is an Alpha/Legioss and a Beta/Tread.

Some Invid/Inbit would be nice as superposables...

But I wouldn't buy any Cyclones/Ride Armor if they cost a nickel (I know some other mospeada fans will consider that heresy). Never have liked motorcylces though.

Man, I am just the opposite, I always hated the Alpha/Legioss design,, but the Cyclone/Ride Armor on the other hand I thought looked very cool. Now an Alpha/Beta Legioss/Tread linked on the other hand looked really good, I think that is my problem with the Alpha/Legioss, it looks like half a plane to me.

Anyhow, I thought I read somewhere that HG/Toynami are the only ones with rights to produce Mospeada toys, so if their line doesn't do it for me, I will probably be out of luck. Here is to hoping for a linking Beta/Tread

Anybody know what scale it's supposed to be? 1/55? It looks like they just "copied" the old Imai/Monogram model molds (looks just like it to me). But I like the Alpha; I wouldn't mind getting one, just because the old Gakken toys are way up there on price. But 80 bones just for an HG toy? no way. I'm confident that the price will have to come down. I'll just wait for bigbadtoystore.com to get some in--heck they've got MPC Valks for $35, so they're bound to give a decent price on these...

I'd like to see a TF Cyclone toy too--I've got an old 1/6 Gakken, but it's so highly engineered--and as such, fragile--for a toy that I've only transformed it once or twice, then put it in storage for fear of breaking something...

Edited by reddsun1

I was actually surprised how sturdy the gakken cyclone was. I used to transform mine all the time and it never felt like it was going to break.

Mostly true, maybe except for:

1. Knee caps - spring gets detached from soldered anchor.

2. Foot joints - worn out by friction

3. Hip joints - plastic 'clacker' gets brittle over the years and breaks easily.

As for the MPC, it looks good enough for a toy but like most folks I feel the price is too high. Unfortunately, without other competitors making a comparable Legioss toy, bargains will be harder to come by...

to those hating the $80 price tag, i got 3 words for ya....

"clearance at gamestop". ;)

its a USA release, so sales and discounts are to be expected, without any ridiculous shipping fees.

i'll probably get the one to check the goods and get the rest on sale cause there no way i'm paying retail for an MPC again. :angry: i still got my RH's MPC sitting in my closet cause it doesn't deserved to be displayed.

lets hope the same thign doesn't happen to this alpha. :rolleyes:

on a side note,

the thing that bothers me most about these pics is theres no way to tell how big/small it is.

if anything, they should take a pic of it next to something like a can of soda.

Eh it looks alright. It looks better than the one I saw at Comic-con over the summer with the metallic paint scheme.

I won't be buying it since I'm not much of an RT New Gen/Mospeada fan. The price is high(like many have said) but this is a Toynami product so it will be 40-60% off in 6 months.

i wouldn't be surprised if the price drops. look at the yf-1r. it was 80, then it dropped to like 50-60

I wouldn't talk when the Yamato VF-1's were ¥6,800 then dropped to like $26 shipped on eBay. That's about 35% of its original worth (assuming S/H was about 6 bucks) compared to the Toynami, which kept at least 62.5% of its value.

:lol: Yeah, whatever...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3163466723

Damn T-64 good deal

I was just checking it out on RT's site. It did not say anything about it being 1/55. Hopefully Toynami will up the scale for the Alphas. I dunno if I will pick it up though, not too big of a fan of the Alphas of Mospeada for that matter.

Now, the Alpha+Beta on the other hand...

On a semi-related note, BBTS buys back old (or fairly recent) toys and I was thinking of selling back alll my MPC Valks w/armor to upgrade to either:

A. 3 TV Super VF-1J 1/48's: Hikaru, Max, Millia

-or-

B. 1/60 Yamatos: S Max, S Millia, S. Hikaru, VF-1S Roy.

Decisions, desisions...

Damn T-64 good deal

Thanks pfunk. ;)

I never had any intentions of buying the Macross Saga MPCs, ever, but this price was just too good to pass up. I actually feel like I paid what they're really worth. (25% of the MSRP)