Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 3 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 3: Whirlwind Dogfight  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Mirage! <3)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Mirage hasn't stabbed Hayate. B-O-R-I-N-G!)

You clearly have a different definition of slapstick humor than me and we can leave it at that.

And I'm not defending the Zentradi spies. They are too silly for my taste and is by far the weakest and most dated element of the original series in my opinon. Thankfully, their shenanigans never got a third of an episode dedicated to them like the mercat chase got here.

I hardly see how Delta characters are any more cookie cutter than Macross. Its not fair to judge since there are only 3 episoes. Hikaru, Minmay and Misa were hardly origial and deep characters when they first appeared. They had an entire series to develop over the course of 34 episodes.

Especially since Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay were pretty bland characters even after the final episode.

The thing is, the mercat scenes IMO did have a purpose. Hayate was clearly inspired by the mercat's underwater cobra maneuver so the scenes seem to be there in part to show how Hayate learns/flies mostly through feel and observation. This of course sets him up in contrast to Mirage and Messer who seem to be much more by the book - Mirage has probably been studying how to fly and dogfight since she was a child (and stab the moment she learned the concept of boys).

I also thinking the mercat and general "slice of life" on Ragna is to help show the viewers that there's a stark contrast in culture between Ranga and Windemere. It's been pointed out that Windemere colors are typically washed out and for the most part seem very serious in their approach to life.

I do agree, it feels like we're getting introduced to so many characters at a breakneck speed. But since this is a group of idols and pilots I suppose that's the only way it make sense.

On a side note. I wonder if there's a double connotation to the Windemere's actions like they're in a hurry due to the king/prince's condition. I'm mostly alluding to the fact he sings like young choir boy. Could it be he might lose power when he goes through puberty or something of that nature? It's well documented in a rather sordid history of drastic things done to preserve a boy's "angelic" voice.

I certainly hope we'll never see another Valkyrie wearing a Zentradi uniform again.

Oooh... We must see at least Mirage trying to disguise herself and totally be being conspicuous like Mylene when was following Basara.

It's a family tradition from Max.

When you first saw the character designs for Delta you instantly knew based on their appearance who would be the goofy character, the shy character, the uptight character and etc. When we finally saw them in action everyone acted according to their type. Through the course of the series some characters will grow. Some of them will grow just to be dramatically killed off. There's still just so many characters that some of them will never be more than an anime stereotype. Which makes them tools to deliver the stereotypical anime antics. As in the case of episode 3 some characters were only present to give an anime style reaction to the anime style antics.

I can't wait for the mid-series drift when they dive in to the deeper story and the tone of things change to actually have some substance. Crossing my fingers that this does happen.

Given that it is anime, we should probably expect it to contain very common anime tropes.

I've always found diving right into the serious business tends to dull its weight as well.

Let us also remember chasing a pair of panties around a highschool in Frontier. Basara, eating a leaf and otherwise. Getting shot down flying a bicycle to the moon. Pineapples being a harbinger of death.

"Mercat troubles" is simply the latest in a long line of comedic stuff. Sure it's taken various forms but at some point you have to admit this is par for the course.

The thing is, the mercat scenes IMO did have a purpose. Hayate was clearly inspired by the mercat's underwater cobra maneuver so the scenes seem to be there in part to show how Hayate learns/flies mostly through feel and observation. This of course sets him up in contrast to Mirage and Messer who seem to be much more by the book - Mirage has probably been studying how to fly and dogfight since she was a child (and stab the moment she learned the concept of boys).

I also feel like he tried to do it in the earlier flight training session only to be stopped via the AI helper. And his general flying incompetence.

The whole mercat thing actually illuminated Hayate's personality a bit more. In general he seems like he's a pretty likable/fun guy. He was best buds with Chuck and the kiddos right away. He's got quite a different attitude to Alto or Basara. He's kind of inverted compared to them. They were driven, they had reasons. Hayate doesn't really, he's fairly talented but hasn't found something to apply it to that gives any fulfillment so he's never really reached a wall he's wanted to overcome before.

Chasing the mercat kinda showed he could be dedicated to things when he finds an interest in it. Sure it was frivolous and "fun" but he put serious effort into it.

He found flying amazing but it was also work so and he didn't really get that the work was required, after this episode it seems like he's had his epiphany and saw the work was going to be worth it this time. Though i imagine he's not just going to flip to dedicated overnight. We'll see next week!

Edited by Rbstr

I know like why is the observation VF carrying a loaded paint gun? Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage? She killed him like a dozen times before he even touched her. If it was a real fight he would already been dead. Plus in order to win he had to switch modes.

I know like why is the observation VF carrying a loaded paint gun?

To keep the newbie from getting a swell head.

Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage?

The rule is it doesn't matter how many times Mirage hits Hayate, Hayate has just to hit Mirage under 5 minutes and he passes.

Arad practically said it before the mock dogfight.

Edited by RedWolf

I also thinking the mercat and general "slice of life" on Ragna is to help show the viewers that there's a stark contrast in culture between Ranga and Windemere. It's been pointed out that Windemere colors are typically washed out and for the most part seem very serious in their approach to life.

I do agree, it feels like we're getting introduced to so many characters at a breakneck speed. But since this is a group of idols and pilots I suppose that's the only way it make sense.

On a side note. I wonder if there's a double connotation to the Windemere's actions like they're in a hurry due to the king/prince's condition. I'm mostly alluding to the fact he sings like young choir boy. Could it be he might lose power when he goes through puberty or something of that nature? It's well documented in a rather sordid history of drastic things done to preserve a boy's "angelic" voice.

They could turn him into a Castrato if thats the case.

That scene of Messer riding down Hayate's VF-1 is pretty intimidating. Look how big and mean that Black 31 looks right on that goofy little VF-1s tail.

I built a replica of the 31F in Kerbal Space Program and modded some parts stats to give it the performance close to the actual thing, like overpowered verniers for quick direction changes, insanely powerful engines and, strengthed wing joints to prevent the craft from beaking apart during hard G's. I downloaded that one mod that allows for AI dogfights and pitted my 31F against a replica of an Su-35 and it pretty much looked exactly like it did in this episode. The 31F swooped in from high altitude and was glued to the ass of the Su-35 and promptly blew it out of the sky.

And if the 31 is anything like the 30 its actually a couple of tons lighter than the VF-1.

Edited by ManhattanProject972

I know like why is the observation VF carrying a loaded paint gun? Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage? She killed him like a dozen times before he even touched her.

Because the condition for the win was for Hayate to get one hit on Mirage before the 5 minutes were up.

Think about it, absolute rookie versus a veteran, one from the Jenius family no less. It was never a fair fight to begin with, the point was to allow Hayate a chance to show that he at least made some progress in his training and was worth keeping on.

Also, Arad and Johnson probably wanted to give Mirage a chance to vent before she ends up trying to ask Hayate on a date to stab him.

LOL, SK finally found a use for his placeholder "S" insignia :D

Seacat turns FTW!!!, The VF-1's were amazing and now we see the start of the traingle with a stubborn pilot and a young idol :o

I think the triangle(s) are going to be between Messer, Mirage, Hayate and the second would include Freyja.

The VF-1EX is at total nod to SDFM and it was wonderful to finally see a CG animated Valkyrie. The paint scheme seemed to be a nod to Macross First and something Hasegawa can release a "new" VF-1 kit with the same old VF-1 molds...

Edited by Zinjo

I think the triangle(s) are going to be between Messer, Mirage, Hayate and the second would include Freyja.

But there's clearly something between Messer and Kaname. The only reason nothing's happened yet is that the former has heard that the latter makes a mean Pineapple Salad.

So much hate for the Catfish stuff. I liked it, and I like how Hayate followed Shin's method of learning Valkyrie techniques from ocean creatures.

Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage?

Lol someone wasn't paying attention since all of this was clearly spelt out in the episode

But there's clearly something between Messer and Kaname. The only reason nothing's happened yet is that the former has heard that the latter makes a mean Pineapple Salad.

Yeah, she seems to be crushing pretty good on him. But he seems even more "No Fun Zone" than Mirage. There's plenty of setup there for tragedy :/

Speaking of Arad, he probably needs to own a jellyfish fishing boat with the way he downs that snack item.

The VF-1EX is at total nod to SDFM and it was wonderful to finally see a CG animated Valkyrie. The paint scheme seemed to be a nod to Macross First and something Hasegawa can release a "new" VF-1 kit with the same old VF-1 molds...

I'm seriously considering sparring one of my recently acquired Jetfires from an SDF conversion procedure. Though, then I'd need to come up with some of those double-triangle delta decals.

I'm also excited that the Jetfire color scheme was used because I suspect that this may be part of a concerted effort to "take back" pieces of Macross that were wrongfully traded away poorly to TransFormers and HG.

I hope the trend started by the subs on the blu-ray are just the opening salvo and that this all ends with a quality dub of Delta on an american channel. I'm sure someone at Bandai can see the profit to be made in having the series lead to toy sales outside of Japan and the members of this forum.

Yeah, she seems to be crushing pretty good on him. But he seems even more "No Fun Zone" than Mirage. There's plenty of setup there for tragedy :/

Speaking of Arad, he probably needs to own a jellyfish fishing boat with the way he downs that snack item.

She's not the only one... one of the waitresses at Ragunyan-nyan is clearly carrying a torch for him as well. (She's even shown watching him from behind one of the columns inside the restaurant in the OP. I wonder if, since it's owned by Chuck's family, that would make her his sister or something? Maybe Messer's not going for that because he respects the bro code?)

I'm seriously considering sparring one of my recently acquired Jetfires from an SDF conversion procedure. Though, then I'd need to come up with some of those double-triangle delta decals.

I'm also excited that the Jetfire color scheme was used because I suspect that this may be part of a concerted effort to "take back" pieces of Macross that were wrongfully traded away poorly to TransFormers and HG.

I hope the trend started by the subs on the blu-ray are just the opening salvo and that this all ends with a quality dub of Delta on an american channel. I'm sure someone at Bandai can see the profit to be made in having the series lead to toy sales outside of Japan and the members of this forum.

Unless HG ups and dies or is bought out by a more friendly studio, don't expect to see any Macross on Western TV anytime soon...

PrimumMobile: The Zentradi spies trio were comic relief, but never this level of slapstick. I thought I was watching Ranma 1/2 or something for a while.

And Ranma 1/2 was a great show. There are plenty of other shows that are true mecha shows, and just have the military drama. Macross has never been one of those, and why it's popular. It's not like all of the comedy parts were just wasted time. They do come into play.

I know like why is the observation VF carrying a loaded paint gun? Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage? She killed him like a dozen times before he even touched her. If it was a real fight he would already been dead. Plus in order to win he had to switch modes.

Yeah, it's called a handicap in competition. I'm quite sure you'd lose in a tennis match to a professional without some sort of handicap to at least give you a chance. That sequence with letting him use the handicap is pretty well insinuated in the episode, as they do not seem to mention the fact that he used a transformation. Also, the sequence isn't to show that he's getting shot up, but that he's adapting and getting better. That's something that is done in other shows outside of anime.

Edited by Jasonc

I'm calling it right now-the tragic character is Mirage. We're finally going to get an actual episode named 'The Genius Falls'. I get the vibe from this episode that Hayate's competence is so dependent on Freya's performing that he'll never make it through a battle alive without her (and vice versa). The triangle will be broken when Mirage falls in battle. Her last words will be something sassy like 'Please file any complaints about me to my superiors' as she goes out heroically.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRglossary/Glossary07a.php

Kadun

The Mayan Island legend of spirit-like beings is recited on the solitary south seas island. It's thought to be something close to the animism ideology, where divinity dwells in every single thing in this world, and there are such Kaduns as "the Iron Kadun" and "the Fire Kadun". Also, some of the Kadun negatively influence humans, and the persons who violate taboos are thought to have been possessed by the "curse of a Kadun". Moreover, it's said that the "Birdman" (Eifos) will awaken and destroy this world when the "Kadun of Conflict", who arrives from the other side of the sea, blows the wind of ruin.

Caption: [Kadun] The Shrine Maiden of the Wind, Sara Nome, who was taken into the Eifos (left picture), saw the appearance of the Unified Forces and Anti Unification Alliance, who were unrolling a battle in the skies of Mayan Island, as the "Kadun of Conflict" (right picture). In her eyes, it seems that the negative feelings, such as anger and fear that the pilots emitted, were projected as beings that called and awakened the wind of ruin.

And Heinz is going to stir a Great Wind.

She's not the only one... one of the waitresses at Ragunyan-nyan is clearly carrying a torch for him as well. (She's even shown watching him from behind one of the columns inside the restaurant in the OP. I wonder if, since it's owned by Chuck's family, that would make her his sister or something? Maybe Messer's not going for that because he respects the bro code?)

That makes me worry that it's Kaname that's going to be eating some pineapple salad down the line.

So...is Heinz dying? Suffering from a fold wave sickness?

What're the Knights of the Wind so urgent to finish their task?

My theory is that Heinz is emitting negative Song Energy Fold Waves that it is self harming.

Basara can will himself to life singing to himself as a contrast.