Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 3 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 3: Whirlwind Dogfight  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Mirage! <3)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Mirage hasn't stabbed Hayate. B-O-R-I-N-G!)

You know, while they do explain why everyone's excited Hayate got one hit on Mirage, but... since the rules were "Hayate has to hit Mirage once, Mirage's hits don't count for squat" ... why was Mirage even shooting? Just to rattle him? Because it wasn't working very well.

Scarfish is still the best character.

You know, while they do explain why everyone's excited Hayate got one hit on Mirage, but... since the rules were "Hayate has to hit Mirage once, Mirage's hits don't count for squat" ... why was Mirage even shooting? Just to rattle him? Because it wasn't working very well.

Scarfish is still the best character.

Because they needed a way for her to vent before she ends up asking him out and stabbing him.

We really need to start keeping track of how close Mirage is to stabbing Hayate.

But who wants to count milliangstroms every week?

In fairness, she didn't inflict direct physical violence on him this episode. Though she took a sadistic pleasure in giving him his first taste of flight.

In Macross telepathy is an established fact. However it is typically between Sub-Protoculture and primitive lifeforms that have established a symbiotic bond.

Mylene has Gubaba who can emote her emotions and track her down through their link. Zolans have Catsnakes which can preserve knowledge such as reading ancient writing.

That Bridge Bunny with that creature on head is more similar to Mylene and Gubaba.

In rare cases telepathy is manifested between a Fold Receptor Factor person and their target of affection. Like Sara and Shin, Sheryl, Ranka and Alto, and now Freyja and Hayate.

What Heinz is doing could be similar but more of tapping something instinctive in a person's genes.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRtimeline/Timeline32A.php

Related Matter: The Combat Impulse Of The Zentraadi
Dr. Werth, who drew up the internal report concerning Guld, laid bare a sense of impending crisis with, "There are suspicions that Guld, who is descended from the Zentraadi, has forcibly suppressed his fighting instinct in some form. If that suppression is released...".* The disturbances that occurred about 30 years earlier, especially the insurrection of the Zentraadi who had been naturalized on Earth, were still fresh in people's minds, and they might have feared that kind of trouble.

It's simple really, the closer she is to winning the triangle (and the more tsun she gets), the higher the chances of Hayate getting stabbed.

So they're just getting more and more distant ever since episode one when she pulled a gun on him, then threw him to the ground and straddled him?

So sad to see a love fizzle out so soon.

Edited by JB0

I know like why is the observation VF carrying a loaded paint gun? Why is everyone so excited for Hayate for getting one hit on Mirage? She killed him like a dozen times before he even touched her. If it was a real fight he would already been dead. Plus in order to win he had to switch modes.

It was nonsensical, like the rest of the episode. I don't even know how he got in the air with little to no flight training. Perhaps the AI handled it?

This was a step back from episode 2.

So they're just getting more and more distant ever since episode one when she pulled a gun on him, then threw him to the ground and straddled him?

So sad to see a love fizzle out so soon.

Well, she did shoot him with a VF-1's gunpod this episode, sadly it was only filled with paint bullets. Grandma Milia must be shaking her head in disappointment.

Hmmmm interesting.

Not hard to fathom that Freyja's intended would be one of the Aerial Knights, especially since it works well into how this series is borrowing elements from Macross II, so someone like Bogue playing the "Feff" to Freyja's "Ishtar" doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Additionally, Bogue's voice actor, KENN also happens to be a singer which means he was chosen for a reason (duet with Freyja/Minori Suzuki down the line?).

I've got a problem with Hayate. That "I don't feel alive unless I'm daring death" mental problem. He should have bailed out but instead he was willing to die in a crash. He shouldn't have jumped off the bridge but he had to ride the wind. Isamu Dyson had the same problem. When Dyson did it he was considered reckless. When Hayate does it everyone is impressed.

I've got a problem with Hayate. That "I don't feel alive unless I'm daring death" mental problem. He should have bailed out but instead he was willing to die in a crash. He shouldn't have jumped off the bridge but he had to ride the wind. Isamu Dyson had the same problem. When Dyson did it he was considered reckless. When Hayate does it everyone is impressed.

Risking your life to achieve your goals seems to be an underlying theme of the show.

Freyja's line saying "I can fly if I ride the wind. If I risk my life, I can fly." may as well be the arc words for the show.

That said, this is Macross after all, they'll likely deconstruct this halfway through the show, before reconstructing it again in time for the finale.

If it ain't worth risking your life over, it ain't worth having. That's a pretty common theme that transcends cultural boundaries.

Not everyone... Messer seems to think that Hayate's a reprehensible bellend, and Mirage seems to think he's a bit touched in the head too.

Remember, Hayate started out proficient to a degree in bioroid mode. He's 1/3 of the way to being a good pilot. It's like a Destriod pilot transitioning to a Valk.

Right, I get that and will even accept that to a degree, but the show has him basically skipping every lesson when it comes to learning to fly the aircraft. Yet here he is taking off, flying, and engaging in mock combat. I'd have bought it more if they stretched this out over a few episodes and showed him actually learning how to fly. I think it would have been fun and genuinely amusing.

I really thought it was great in episode 2 when they acknowledged the fact that he had no clue how to fly an aircraft. They totally avoided that anime trope of the novice doing amazing things in their super mecha. But then in episode 3 he's outmaneuvering Mirage after a week of skipping flight training with her. It took me longer than that to learn how to drive a car.

Edited by Duke Togo

Right, I get that and will even accept that to a degree, but the show has him basically skipping every lesson when it comes to learning to fly the aircraft. Yet here he is taking off, flying, and engaging in mock combat. I'd have bought it more if they stretched this out over a few episodes and showed him actually learning how to fly. I think it would have been fun and genuinely amusing.

I really thought it was great in episode 2 when they acknowledged the fact that he had no clue how to fly an aircraft. They totally avoided that anime trope of the novice doing amazing things in their super mecha. But then in episode 3 he's outmaneuvering Mirage after a week of skipping flight training with her. It took me longer than that to learn how to drive a car.

It's stated that he only skipped the classroom sessions, but was actually attending the practical lessons inside the cockpit (and likely the simulator as well).

Another thing is that it's implied is that Mirage's classroom sessions mostly dog fighting theory and tactics. Hayate's apology to Mirage at the end says as much where he states that "just being able to fly isn't enough" - he realizes that he does need to learn actual air combat.

The implication is also that this went on over about two months, it's just compressed considerably. That was the timeframe Arad gave Mirage. (I would also note, that the scene where he's skipped class he's clearly been in the classroom at least some, with the laptop and books and all that around the empty seat)

I don't really count one surprise attack as really outmaneuvering Mirage. He spent nearly 5 minutes getting wrecked.

Edited by Rbstr

One other thing, it's hinted that there's a reason why Arad picked Hayate. It's likely that he's looking for a more "instinctive" pilot who flies by feel to partner with Mirage. The latter is likely a more theoretical, by the book pilot and Arado probably feels that that's holding her back, take note that not only was her timing off in episode 1, she was also the only member of Delta that was shown taking a hit.

It's stated that he only skipped the classroom sessions, but was actually attending the practical lessons inside the cockpit (and likely the simulator as well).

Another thing is that it's implied is that Mirage's classroom sessions mostly dog fighting theory and tactics. Hayate's apology to Mirage at the end says as much where he states that "just being able to fly isn't enough" - he realizes that he does need to learn actual air combat.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I missed that. Thanks.

Got to it now. (Had to wait for Eng Sub to become not just available, but easy to find).

- MakiReina seems to be near-canon, what with them living together?

- Makina is still wonderful with her "kyaa" approach to technology, while also serving to point out exactly what VF model is on display to the kind of viewer who can't recognize one on sight (me). I guess she's getting the highest waifu score all over the world, especially since Mikumo has shown her aloof/kuudere colours. (Which were expected to start with).

- MERCATS! Especially that fighting one. Judging by the fact that nobody took a gun (or harpoon) to it, this game is well known.

- Hayate is getting less Hikaru and more Isamu by the screentime minute. He has not (yet?) learned the Isamu way of treating girls, though.

- The elephant in the room about idols, the fact that they can have no personal life (can't date, etc) seems to be politely ignored for now, with Mikumo even encouraging Freyja's link to Hayate (though she has a clear reason, making Freyja's rune work). I really hope this is temporary. In a few past Macrosses, Kawamori has done a great job of showing the "grim other side" of popular singers' lives (what with Minmay's burnout, the betrayal of Sheryl by the only person she thought she was close to, and Basara getting terminally bored). And to top it all, money made Kawamori do a "happy" presentation of idol groups in AKB0048 (or am I mistaken about the happy part?). I really hope he RIPS INTO RESTRICTIONS ON IDOLS WITH THE POWER OF A THOUSAND MERCATS. But then, he's not Gen Urobuchi and his ripping generally starts somewhere mid-series, not at Episode 3.

- Mikumo throwing off the towel to an immediate change of scene is a very nice "take that" to fanservice seekers. In fact the series seems to be *less* fanservice-oriented than Frontier, if one means erotic stuff by fan service. (I really hope no bra-stealing happens this time - that one darn episode, pretty meaningless as it is, made me keep Frontier away from my son for a couple of years now, though he's hitting 11 and probably gets to watch the thing soon with me sitting in on the episode). Delta is, instead, filled to the brim with the other kind of fan service, with mecha and old Macross references and real life aviation references.

- Music is still just okay.

- Captain Ernest Johnson kicks ass. (The "ambulance and firefighters" call when everyone else was dumbstruck).

- Mirage is a bit too much of a formulaic tsundere for my taste.

- Where was that Fire Bomber reference? I missed it:(

Edited by Saruta

And I don't see what genetically crossing cats and fish would be good for.

I thought mercats were native to Ragna, not a genetic experiment?

Who says Idols can't date in the Macross universe? I mean they can't in real life but in Macross universe they are reveared ever since Space War 1.

Inworld that can work, but from the outside I'd see that as a copout. Much of the hardness of RL idol life is exactly that and Kawamori was pretty good at capturing such references in the past. And being revered is not exclusive with not being allowed to date.